Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think Denmo did that one, should be able to find it on his tumblr.

If it is a denmo work I'll be damned if I can find it

Oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like how the Yokai quest starts with an NPC saying they're ruining his Verminion experience and he's quitting the game.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Unguided posted:

I've already gone from 18 ARC to 25 grinding medals. Yokai event is a great excuse to dust off unused classes.
ROG 1-30 on FATEs alone sounded like a horrible idea, but now I have all these toy weapons.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Unguided posted:

I like how the Yokai quest starts with an NPC saying they're ruining his Verminion experience and he's quitting the game.
Yep, they knew the only way to really get the FFXIV playerbase interested in something is to tie it in to Lords of Verminion somehow.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Lord of Verminion is actually a pretty solid mini-game - it's just that not being able to queue from anywhere but the Gold Saucer upper floor is crippling.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Tanked a Sohr Khai group from DF that took like, 18 minutes. It was amazing, Moglin could only attempt to revive his followers once.

I love asking my group, 'big pulls?' and healer goes 'yup' and we just plow through the content. It's too bad the last area of both EX dungeons can't be mass pulled.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I was told verminion was pretty much unplayable with a controller, though?

Unrelatedly, I've seen many internet posts disparage the feel of FF14 as "too Japanese / Asian". Now, this doesn't matter one way or another in and of itself, but I started noticing that I myself don't see it at all, at least graphics wise. Does the game feel very Japanese to any of you? The only thing I've noticed is that some of the worse dialogue has kind of a "cheap shounen anime" way of being embarassing.

Maybe it's because lalafell are actually supposed to be cute rather than... I don't know what they're going for with WoW's gnomes, actually.

E: What I'm saying is, I don't understand what people feel would be different if this game was made by a European or American developer.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 31, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also LoV has zero connection to the rest of the game and is both too large-scale and impersonal. WoW pet-battles are small-scale, take a minute or two to play, there is a lot of pet variety and variables, and encourages pokemon-style attachment due to each pet being unique. FF4 minions are completely homogeneous, the game is played in a single location and nowhere else, and often the solution to victory is to send out dozens of the same pet.

Bobfly posted:

Unrelatedly, I've seen many internet posts disparage the feel of FF14 as "too Japanese / Asian". Now, this doesn't matter one way or another in and of itself, but I started noticing that I myself don't see it at all, at least graphics wise. Does the game feel very Japanese to any of you? The only thing I've noticed is that some of the worse dialogue has kind of a "cheap shounen anime" way of being embarassing.

Maybe it's because lalafell are actually supposed to be cute rather than... I don't know what they're going for with WoW's gnomes, actually.
Nah, everything feels very western fantasy to me. Maybe during some storylines (hi NIN) and some of the events which seem based on Japanese holidays/customs/cultural stuff, but nothing else feels like it would be out of place in WoW.

Also if you want to see how badly the 'tiny cute race' can be done look at TERA, not WoW. Fuckin' seriously man.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bobfly posted:

E: What I'm saying is, I don't understand what people feel would be different if this game was made by a European or American developer.

Catgirls are a common anime trope, so maybe that's it? I know people in this thread refer to the game as anime catgirl simulator. But the style isn't quite so anime compared to other games out there. Compare this game to anything produced by Atlus, for example, and you'll find there are games that are way more Japanese in style and presentation. I don't think you can entirely divorce Final Fantasy from its Japanese origins, but even if it is a JRPG, it uses a lot of western fantasy tropes, and the early ones were almost entirely Euro-medieval centric in style.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bobfly posted:

I played through all the single player stages just fine on a pad. The only thing that was difficult was the group selection for specials.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ApplesandOranges posted:

Tanked a Sohr Khai group from DF that took like, 18 minutes. It was amazing, Moglin could only attempt to revive his followers once.

I love asking my group, 'big pulls?' and healer goes 'yup' and we just plow through the content. It's too bad the last area of both EX dungeons can't be mass pulled.
18 minutes is the low end of acceptable :ssh:

(seriously, gently caress pubbies, start running with people you know!)

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
after running mch through potd once this is definitely going to be my dps main, its a lot of fun

how high does wildfire get assuming the stars align and you do everything right at 60?

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Rafza posted:

after running mch through potd once this is definitely going to be my dps main, its a lot of fun

how high does wildfire get assuming the stars align and you do everything right at 60?

If you play the piano right and don't miss any notes, Wildfires with all your damage buffs (Raging Strikes, B4B, Hawk's Eye, and Internal Release) regularly explode for 11-12k in decent gear. I think someone linked a parse a couple weeks ago where the MCH's Wildfire hit 18k, but that was with a very specific raid group.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Having a dragoon or ninja (or both preferably) will give you bigger numbers too.

On a machinist note, how worth it is it to learn a five-ammo opener? I've got the two-ammo one down to a science and I have no idea if there's any content where I'd need more. I haven't gotten into savage Midas yet but I'm starting to prepare.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How much gil am I looking at to take a new craft to 50? I'll be hitting cap on CUL eventually and I don't want that sweet moogle exp to go to waste.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bobfly posted:

Unrelatedly, I've seen many internet posts disparage the feel of FF14 as "too Japanese / Asian".

The setting isn't generic medieval European fantasy, so it's too Asian, you see.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
So I just started the moogle quests and I'm currently friendly with them and I could have sworn I saw a popup that said I can do 6 moogle quests a day but I only got 3 today what gives?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kuai posted:

So I just started the moogle quests and I'm currently friendly with them and I could have sworn I saw a popup that said I can do 6 moogle quests a day but I only got 3 today what gives?

No, you got a popup saying you could do 6 moogle quests THAT day. Every time you rank up (until you hit 7) you get a daily reset on HW tribe quests.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Always a warrior. He's the dude from the 1.0 and End of an Era cinematics.

So is the rest of his party.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ApplesandOranges posted:

How much gil am I looking at to take a new craft to 50? I'll be hitting cap on CUL eventually and I don't want that sweet moogle exp to go to waste.

Several million unless you gather everything yourself.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

This really comes down to how much you value your time.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bobfly posted:

these people pitched their tent in with world of warcraft years ago and are deeply upset that another MMO is sucking subscribers away

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
make mmos great again

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So since i can finally start the relic quest, what's the best way to get those unidentified items i'll need later? I've been spending all the poetics i've gotten since i started playing again but i've only gotten like 6 out of the 80(?) i need.

Is there any way to make this not take 2 months, i would've expected a 1 year old quest line to have been de-grinded a bit by now

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

HenryEx posted:

So since i can finally start the relic quest, what's the best way to get those unidentified items i'll need later? I've been spending all the poetics i've gotten since i started playing again but i've only gotten like 6 out of the 80(?) i need.

Is there any way to make this not take 2 months, i would've expected a 1 year old quest line to have been de-grinded a bit by now

It's going to take a month or two no matter what, if you're just starting now. Do your Moogle dailies for kupo nuts. Do three other ARR beast tribe dailies for tokens. Spend all poetics you can get on bones. Buy wyvernskin maps with excess gil to get Shells. Do Dragonskin maps with people for Aquapolis and Unidentified Ore.

If you don't have your moogle rep/old ARR beast tribe rep up to snuff, this is gonna be a lot harder but such is life. It's also worth noting that you can work on all three relic steps simultaneously. Start doing Crystal Tower weekly from Mor Dhona to accumulate the Aether Oil you'll need for the next step. Use the poetics from that to feed into Unidentified Bones. Start feeding ALL esoterics into Umbrite for the current relic step.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In the vain hope of trying to keep expectations reasonable, I'd also point out that last December (when the 60 relic first came out) is closer to half a year ago than a full year ago.

I'll also point out that the 50 relic did eventually de-grind tremendously once it was past its period of relevance (at this point the only noteworthy step is animus books, and every other step can be finished within a few hours or less), so yes, the de-grind is a thing that happens.

Though they've upped the drop rate on the 170 step, and the 200 step was never slow in the first place, so it's reasonable to think that within the next patch or two they'll do something about the 210 step. Perhaps not quite as quickly as you might hope, but it's not unreasonable to start keeping an eye out for it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
They nerfed the grind for ARR beast tribes, which are an excellent source of unIDed items.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Logicspren posted:

If you play the piano right and don't miss any notes, Wildfires with all your damage buffs (Raging Strikes, B4B, Hawk's Eye, and Internal Release) regularly explode for 11-12k in decent gear. I think someone linked a parse a couple weeks ago where the MCH's Wildfire hit 18k, but that was with a very specific raid group.

19,685 was the highest I've seen on fflogs.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Always a warrior. He's the dude from the 1.0 and End of an Era cinematics.

Such a great twist.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Speaking of the last areas of the EX dungeons, I just did my EX about 15 minutes ago with a FC member(BLM) as tank. Pretty smooth sailing until the Three Ninjas mini arena, in which case both Black Mages decide to start single targeting right off the bat, on different Ninjas, with the White Mage doing the same, on the remaining Ninja. While I started the pull assuming we'd just group them all up on top of the knife throwing lalafell and burn them that way. Shield lob on the Hiding Roe, Spirits Within on the middle guy, and then park myself on the lalafell. Next thing I know, I am trying to grab hate on three different ninjas in three different areas, losing threat position pretty much immediately after I switch to a different target to get them back.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As this pic from the last page shows,

i've united the ARR tribes back in the day, so that's not a problem. I still need the daily quest allowances to get the Vanu/Vath up currently, and i haven't even started the like 20-quest-long chain to unlock the moogle tribe yet. Good to know that i can do the Archmagus quest to prepare for the next step already, tho.

Most of my esoterics in the near future will have to go towards raising my current avg i145, though. But it seems i can buy shitloads of Moonstones with the infinite GC seals i keep accumulating to facilitate the sand part of that step?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

:toot:

Mostly did beast tribes (maxed every single one of them thanks to this) and spent every possible roulette tome over a long time but I finally did it. Crafting phase went smoothly thanks to spending close to a million to materials and having a very patient DGKK goon craft it all for me. Moogles really boosted my unid hunt considerably towards the end. It's definitely doable on a very casual play schedule as long as you make a habit of logging in and doing dailies.

HenryEx posted:

i've united the ARR tribes back in the day, so that's not a problem. I still need the daily quest allowances to get the Vanu/Vath up currently, and i haven't even started the like 20-quest-long chain to unlock the moogle tribe yet. Good to know that i can do the Archmagus quest to prepare for the next step already, tho.

Note that moogles is a crafting tribe so you'll also need a crafter at level 50 to do their quests.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Only if you're on the podunkest server around. Getting a single class to 50 shouldn't break a million, even if you buy everything off the market.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well on the upside I found someone who said to give him 4 pterodactyls, 4 dawnborne sands and 20 ores, and he made me 4 HQ Francescas for 20k (total, not each). The pterodactyls still cost 70k each on my backwater server, but if i bought them off the board, the francescas would cost 300k each.

he didn't even want the crystals, or the lumber or anything, just 20 ores, sand and the birds plus 20k...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HenryEx posted:

Most of my esoterics in the near future will have to go towards raising my current avg i145, though. But it seems i can buy shitloads of Moonstones with the infinite GC seals i keep accumulating to facilitate the sand part of that step?
Aren't you 60? Do the various quests that reward HQ gear, sell it, and buy the 220 crafted, even if it's lovely NQ.

e: second option, use your spare tribe allowances on the highest-tier Ixal dailies and sell the crafter materia? I guess.

Fister Roboto posted:

Only if you're on the podunkest server around. Getting a single class to 50 shouldn't break a million, even if you buy everything off the market.
Yeah, I'd estimate a million if you're straight up buying HQ leve turnins from 15-50. Cheaper if you get someone to craft them for you (hint hint, do this, they're trivial crafts for any 60) even if you buy the materials yourself it should be super cheap then.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 31, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HenryEx posted:

Well on the upside I found someone who said to give him 4 pterodactyls, 4 dawnborne sands and 20 ores, and he made me 4 HQ Francescas for 20k (total, not each). The pterodactyls still cost 70k each on my backwater server, but if i bought them off the board, the francescas would cost 300k each.

he didn't even want the crystals, or the lumber or anything, just 20 ores, sand and the birds plus 20k...

What a nice fellow, although the lumber is super cheap.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Aren't you 60? Do the various quests that reward HQ gear, sell it, and buy the 220 crafted, even if it's lovely NQ.

For reference: I still can't sell this HQ DRK weapon i got from the quest when i went down to 10k, while the 220 crafted pieces go for 700k-900k NQ to 1.7-2mil HQ (so says the sale history, because half of the i220 items actually have not a single copy on sale)

Man the economy here is hosed

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't buy the 220 gear. Buy the eso materials you need to make it (only 1160 for a full set) and then make friends with a 3* crafter.

If you're on Excalibur, I can help you with that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't think i can go back to US server lag times after experiencing what it's like in HW when the servers are actually on your own continent. Thanks for the offer, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
A hearty thank you to all the goons who helped me (and another newbie, Snibe November) through Castrum and Praetorium.

Ghost Costume + Yokai Weapon = the best immersion! :swoon:

But seriously, that was a blast!

• Locked thread