Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

triple sulk posted:

she should insinuate that his hands are too small or something and have him freak out and call her a dumb bitch on national television

When they shake hands before the debate, she should look down and say "wow, they really are tiny"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

on the other hand they're a bunch of politicians who don't want to lose their seats in November

there is a zero percent chance paul ryan or most of the house GOP caucus loses their seats, same with any senators not up for re-election

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

My maximum irony scenario is that the FSB hacks voting machines for a Donald win, but its lead by computer guys and intel folks who know more about NATO force deployment capabilities than American politics. Hillary takes OH and PA, trump wins by taking California and New York. Hilariousness and or nukes ensue.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

DrPlump posted:

Trump will schedule 2 additional debates not authorized by the debate commission. In the lead up to these debates he will leak dubious internal polling numbers showing Johnson at over 15%. He will then include the Johnson in his debates even if the debate commission does not agree to do the same. If Hillary does not attend these debates Gary and Donald will debate and empty chair just like Ronald Reagan hero of our democracy once did.

and Alex Jones will be the moderator of said debates

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Can someone please explain to me why the #1 weighted national poll on 538's tracker is a Quinnipiac poll from five weeks ago.

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

Good article about what's going on in Missouri and how Ferguson has basically left white Republicans there frothing mad about how the police didn't use enough force.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/2016-missouri-ferguson-gubernatorial-election-racism-214127

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

I like people who weren't killed.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Slate Action posted:

Can someone please explain to me why the #1 weighted national poll on 538's tracker is a Quinnipiac poll from five weeks ago.

I have a theory that Nate Silver is going to make this election look much closer than it really is to generate hype and click revenue. I have no evidence for this, I feel it is true, and that's all I need during this election.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Like, I get that 538 sorts polls by rigor and sample size and not simply by date. But a five week old Quinnipiac is still the best one? Bull loving poo poo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Slate Action posted:

Nate Silver's mind and hairline have been broken.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I have a theory that Nate Silver is going to make this election look much closer than it really is to generate hype and click revenue. I have no evidence for this, I feel it is true, and that's all I need during this election.

A lot of people have been saying that. Upshot, which has 7 different prediction sites listed has 5 saying Hillary and two saying tossup. Guess which is one of the two (the other is Roth, which uses seven ratings instead of five)!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpYegSmJO2w

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

You do have evidence, part of the model this year is a significant bump to Trump's overall numbers partly because Nate Silver is shook as gently caress from completely airballing the GOP primary, partly because Hillary landslide doesn't get as many Arzying f5 page views from either side's supporters

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

This is one of the most disqualifying things I can imagine - he has no idea that Russia already invaded Ukraine, he says he guarantees they won't do it??

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Slate Action posted:

Like, I get that 538 sorts polls by rigor and sample size and not simply by date. But a five week old Quinnipiac is still the best one? Bull loving poo poo.

Their method breaks down a bit with the current situation of so few state polls. Every single poll swings the whole state extremely in the model, something they try to smooth out with the polls-plus model (the "unskew" one, that puts economic situation, demographics and other assumption into the calculation). I hope we see more polls now that the conventions are over.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

thethreeman posted:

This is one of the most disqualifying things I can imagine - he has no idea that Russia already invaded Ukraine, he says he guarantees they won't do it??

In the Berenstein Bears timeline something else came up and Putin's attention was elsewhere, so they didn't take Crimea yet. When our Trump collapses from diet pill exhaustion, Manafort brings Trump-Prime through the rift to fill in for interviews and such, but there's the occasional thing like this where the details get hazy.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

thethreeman posted:

Do you think that Trump could even locate Donbas on a map let alone know that there has been an ongoing Russian backed war going on there for two years?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

crazy cloud posted:

In the Berenstein Bears timeline something else came up and Putin's attention was elsewhere, so they didn't take Crimea yet. When our Trump collapses from diet pill exhaustion, Manafort brings Trump-Prime through the rift to fill in for interviews and such, but there's the occasional thing like this where the details get hazy.

edit: nevermind I JUST GOT THE JOKE WOOSH

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I expect Hillary to do extremely well with the electoral map and win, with it being extremely close in popularity votes. The one million or so majority votes in Hillary's favor will certainly be the illegal Mexicans and perhaps an ISIS member or two infiltrating the polls and ruining America.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I still can't get over Reince giving Trump a blank cheque endorsement from the RNC on all current and future opinions.
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/759805641510846465

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Piquai Souban posted:

I still can't get over Reince giving Trump a blank cheque endorsement on all current and future opinions.

it's also the most hilariously lackluster endorsement ever. like oh yeah we're obligated to agree, so we agree

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I get that Trump is better off in a multiple party debate, but would having only Johnson really benefit him? Feel like Johnson will pull votes equally from Clinton and Trump in the absolutely best-case scenario for Trump,.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

etalian posted:

Yeah it boils down to FL, OH, PA, NH and NC.

Slate Action posted:

PA is not a coin flip state.
Yep, the problem is that if Colorado, Virginia, and Pennsylvania aren't swing states anymore, then Hillary starts at 270+ as a baseline, before Ohio/Florida even enter into the equation. That makes for a boring horse-race, because it's not a horse-race anymore.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
By the end of the week we'll be drowning in gotcha journalism deflections re: the Ukraine thing

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Who is standing in for Trump during Hillary's debate prep? I desperately wish to know. Biden?

Just call in someone's uncle, get him loaded and let him fly

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Who is standing in for Trump during Hillary's debate prep? I desperately wish to know. Biden?

i volunteer my dad

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

nachos posted:

By the end of the week we'll be drowning in gotcha journalism deflections re: the Ukraine thing

I don't think so. Republicans are so loving dumb that none of this matters. Taking away gay and women's rights Trumps any ridiculous thing this dumb rear end says. If I were a Republican I have no idea what I would do other then kill myself.

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 31, 2016

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Trump needs to have Jeb! on stage as a whipping boy to get any traction In a debate.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

crazy cloud posted:

(((berenstein)))

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

fade5 posted:

Yep, the problem is that if Colorado, Virginia, and Pennsylvania aren't swing states anymore, then Hillary starts at 270+ as a baseline, before Ohio/Florida even enter into the equation. That makes for a boring horse-race, because it's not a horse-race anymore.

I've been wondering what happens if, in a couple/few cycles, it becomes clear that the D baseline is >270. Like, so abundantly clear, that you can't sell horserace narrative with a straight face. Increased coverage of the D primaries, like in the mayoral races of one-party cities? A shift to horserace congressional coverage?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

(((berenstein)))

(((berenstain)))

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Piquai Souban posted:

I still can't get over Reince giving Trump a blank cheque endorsement from the RNC on all current and future opinions.

Well when the other option is responding daily to whatever dumb poo poo trump just said I can't blame a man for just giving up and creating a form letter response.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Despite the Tweet, it's not really a rebuke, more of a "The Khans* are great. What Republican nominee?"

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/759817418466291712

* (or 'Kahns' as McConnell calls them at one point in his statement)

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 31, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

I've been wondering what happens if, in a couple/few cycles, it becomes clear that the D baseline is >270. Like, so abundantly clear, that you can't sell horserace narrative with a straight face. Increased coverage of the D primaries, like in the mayoral races of one-party cities? A shift to horserace congressional coverage?

If the Republicans unfuck themselves and dump the Trump base to bring back neocons and such then they could get competitive again. If they double down on the retard and nominate Cruz in 2020 yeah they are hosed.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Venom Snake posted:

If the Republicans unfuck themselves and dump the Trump base to bring back neocons and such then they could get competitive again. If they double down on the retard and nominate Cruz in 2020 yeah they are hosed.

after trump 2016 and cruz 2020 the rnc would figure out how to rig the nomination process to get someone more palatable to hispanics and moderates nominated

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Slate Action posted:

Despite the Tweet, it's not really a rebuke, more of a "The Khans* are great. What Republican nominee?"

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/759817418466291712

Nothing says 'respect' like not being able to spell the name of the people you're talking about
e: damnit just saw your edit but yeah..

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fade5 posted:

Not if NH goes red due to a 3rd party vote split.

Also the tie chaos possibility depends on being able sweep a majority of battleground states.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

after trump 2016 and cruz 2020 the rnc would figure out how to rig the nomination process to get someone more palatable to hispanics and moderates nominated

WELL DWS IS AVAILABLE HAHA

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Venom Snake posted:

i don't think the neocon base is larger than the trumpist base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
Calling for NBC/WSJ today! Four surveys in the past 1.5 hours.

Survey #1: Retired Woman from Ohio, on the fence between Trump and Clinton. Big fan of Rob Portman and other "socially moderate" Republicans. Upset about Trump's anti-Muslim rhetoric and the fact he may refuse to debate Clinton, who she thinks is much smarter, but less trustworthy than Trump.

Survey #2: Alt-right Man in his 40s from Pennsylvania. Ranted about Globalists and Jews for most of the survey. Unmarried and unemployed.

Survey #3: Nice old white lady from Georgia. Excited to vote for Hillary. Thinks Trump is "a nasty, nasty man." Registered Republican who is a fan of Paul Ryan AND Barack Obama.

Survey #4: Spiteful middle aged housewife, also from Ohio. Hates Hillary with a passion. Wanted Cruz, but is settling for Trump. Wants "homosexuals and other deviants" to be put in mental hospitals. Bizarrely fixated on Melania Trump.

• Locked thread