Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yes! I went to Mitterrand hollow. That moon was hell to land on, I basically had to collide with it. Completely awesome little find.

Are there any others in/near the bubble that are interesting like that? I'd love to land in a moon that's basically inside a planet's ring or inside a star cluster but I don't think the engine allows for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yes! I went to Mitterrand hollow. That moon was hell to land on, I basically had to collide with it. Completely awesome little find.

Are there any others in/near the bubble that are interesting like that? I'd love to land in a moon that's basically inside a planet's ring or inside a star cluster but I don't think the engine allows for it.

There are planets whose orbits intersect or coincide with planetary rings, but I think Frontier goes in an manually fixes any such planets when players bring attention to them because it doesn't really look very good up close. There's a couple of youtube videos around somewhere demonstrating them

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Strategic Tea posted:

I want a button to close shutters over your canopy and have a wireframe of sensor data projected, 1984 style :corsair:

Yessss

Alehkhs posted:

The best idea is still a blast shield that comes down when you lose your canopy, which then projects a representation of your surroundings via the original Elite wireframe on a small screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtIHf0zWjv0&t=182s

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

(An arcsecond is approximately the angle subtended by a U.S. dime coin (18mm) at a distance of 4 kilometres (about 2.5 mi).)

As I watch this gif, I think about systems with 400,000LS distances between stars, and I wonder how how elite reconciles close and rapidly changing stellar distances. But mostly I wonder if there are any planets orbiting "S0-2" that I could ride on.

Star positions on the galaxy map are static in Elite.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I think S0-16 is just happy to have escaped that encounter.

If I did my maths right (doubtful), that 0.1" at that distance would equate to ~0.01 Ly. They're not just close; they really move. :magical:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 1, 2016

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Made the mistake of timing my latest and extrapolating how long it will take to get to Jaques.

gently caress.

...any good fuel scoops 3000ly from the bubble?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Slashrat posted:

There are planets whose orbits intersect or coincide with planetary rings, but I think Frontier goes in an manually fixes any such planets when players bring attention to them because it doesn't really look very good up close. There's a couple of youtube videos around somewhere demonstrating them

That is true. Same goes for Stellar Forge heavy derps that are brought forward.

The Mitterand Hollow thingy is special though. The Epsilon Indi system was handcrafted by Frontier (core FE2/FFE system), and this extraordinary moon orbit was the result of a typo when manually inputing the position. They kept it in because it looked hilarious (and the playerbase wanted it to stay).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Some interesting stuff from the ED reddit.

1. Federal corvette actual ship size. Model taken from the game and put into UE4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2LI6lbmkQw

2. Pretty cool massive fleet video about a group going to Jaques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-I8He4KJ3s

3. An Empire Farragut. wat

4. 850ms Eagle.

https://gfycat.com/AllEvergreenGiraffe

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
Is there a repair shop at Jaques?
Last time I go anywhere exploring without an AFMS.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Assist off on planets often gives weird results. My clipper goes up to some 550m/s with the right tricks.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Before i start wasting more hours than what i consider sane, all the poo poo for engineer upgrades can be found in signal sources y/n?
Im planning to A+++ my FDL, currently parked in Disneyland where i bought the prismatic shields which of course hosed over my powermanagement big time.
So first order of business would be a reactor upgrade, followed by a shield upgrade, transisting into a multicannon upgrade.
An FSD upgrade would definitly help inbetween and gently caress me if i wouldnt like to roll something nice on the coupling and the lasers.

Doing this in an FDL however means im in no way getting anything thats not lying around in space for free (so mining is out, and i absolutly want to avoid go-carting on surfaces).
Is this doable with collector limpets in USSs?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Before i start wasting more hours than what i consider sane, all the poo poo for engineer upgrades can be found in signal sources y/n?
Im planning to A+++ my FDL, currently parked in Disneyland where i bought the prismatic shields which of course hosed over my powermanagement big time.
So first order of business would be a reactor upgrade, followed by a shield upgrade, transisting into a multicannon upgrade.
An FSD upgrade would definitly help inbetween and gently caress me if i wouldnt like to roll something nice on the coupling and the lasers.

Doing this in an FDL however means im in no way getting anything thats not lying around in space for free (so mining is out, and i absolutly want to avoid go-carting on surfaces).
Is this doable with collector limpets in USSs?
Some of the stuff can be found in signal sources but there's other things that can only be found planet-side or are rewards from missions.

Most of the components go into your shared storage rather than your cargo hold so you can use another ship to collect the stuff you want and then swap back to your FdL to upgrade it.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Mercurius posted:

Some of the stuff can be found in signal sources but there's other things that can only be found planet-side or are rewards from missions.

Most of the components go into your shared storage rather than your cargo hold so you can use another ship to collect the stuff you want and then swap back to your FdL to upgrade it.

But even if its just 1 item in cargo hold i couldnt simply swap though, right?
Like the mission rewards usually go to the hold, but the USS stuff is storage?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Truga posted:

Assist off on planets often gives weird results. My clipper goes up to some 550m/s with the right tricks.

https://gfycat.com/AmusingNecessaryFlickertailsquirrel

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nice!

yeah, that's what I want for my second ship.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

But even if its just 1 item in cargo hold i couldnt simply swap though, right?
Like the mission rewards usually go to the hold, but the USS stuff is storage?

Cargo transfers between ships now, as long as you have enough room in the one you're swapping into. If you don't, you can't switch to it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Cargo transfers between ships now, as long as you have enough room in the one you're swapping into. If you don't, you can't switch to it.

Oh wow, I completely missed that! So this means I can continue to collect gizmos and greebles with my Asp, and then transfer the cargo to my Cutter when I'm done, yes? The idea of flying all over the place in my heavy Imperial Cutter to collect upgrade cargo for my planned engineering-efforts sounded really, really unappealing to me.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Is there a repair shop at Jaques?
Last time I go anywhere exploring without an AFMS.

Jaques currently has no station services, so if you head that way plan to be totally self-sufficient. The CG going on out there right now is to repair the station to get those services back though.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Dante80 posted:

Some interesting stuff from the ED reddit.
4. 850ms Eagle.

https://gfycat.com/AllEvergreenGiraffe

:nallears: 850ms eagle

:shepface: try 25 000 ms eagle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxI9wtgEV44
funnily theres black out and red out in this game. but you never achieve the g-forces required to achieve those
(expect on really tuned up viper mk3 turns)

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 1, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I always love how a coordinated fleet looks like when jumping out of a system. Anyways, there are rumors going on about that the last series of events have shifted Frontier's outlook on how the game should end up with and that they are going to start doing a big push toward improving fleet and community aspects of the game while incentivizing that a sphere of space be player managed, you know how it expands and that sort of thing. I'll believe it when I see it, but hopefully its true.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I always love how a coordinated fleet looks like when jumping out of a system. Anyways, there are rumors going on about that the last series of events have shifted Frontier's outlook on how the game should end up with and that they are going to start doing a big push toward improving fleet and community aspects of the game while incentivizing that a sphere of space be player managed, you know how it expands and that sort of thing. I'll believe it when I see it, but hopefully its true.

That would mean Frontier dramatically changing their pace of improvement in learning how to make and maintain an MMO. I have said from the start that the guys are slowly learning what works and what doesn't, and that they do in the end listen to player feedback and adjust.

But something like this sounds a little too drastic to be true.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I've seen the blackout effects happen quite easily if I try to pull a hard turn while in orbital glide. First time it happened the stick locked up too and I completely freaked out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dark Off posted:

funnily theres black out and red out in this game. but you never achieve the g-forces required to achieve those

I get red-out in my fdl if I'm thrusting up and pitching down (or vice-versa)

E: and all the time in glide yeah

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Dark Off posted:

...I wonder if you could use that to achieve an actual orbit around a body.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Luneshot posted:

...I wonder if you could use that to achieve an actual orbit around a body.

You mean something like this, but faster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE7WPstMzsM

Technically, you can do that with many planetary objects (since you can match orbit speed by simply going to a higher altitude). But staying very close to the planetary surface while doing it is indeed very difficult with most planets/moons.

It would be pretty neat if the game had an orbital mode (like glide or sth) and tied that with planetary data scanning and exploration.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 1, 2016

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Dante80 posted:

You mean something like this, but faster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE7WPstMzsM

It would be pretty neat if the game had an orbital mode (like glide or sth) and tied that with planetary scanning and exploration.

Exactly like that- looks like someone's already done it then! That's really cool.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

In the exact article you quoted the developer flat out says "no multiplayer, but you will see what other players have named things".

It's basically, literally, going to be dark souls without summoning or invasions, it's very clearly obvious and yet people and the media keep reading into things soooo much, the drama when it comes is going to be fabulous.

Don't get me wrong I hope it's fun, who doesn't want more good space games, but I feel like I'm one of 6 people with reasonable expectations of the game.

I haven't really followed NMS at all to be honest. I know the basics about it from reading a few early pieces on it but I haven't invested any hope or dreams into it because the art style doesn't really jive with what I want out of a game. (If I had my choice, the perfect space game would involve elements of both Elite and Star Citizen).

There is, however, a note that I feel I must point out if I'm remembering it correctly and that's the bit about how you wouldn't even know you were in the same system with another player unless you were able to identify their flying habits/style as not-AI, which leads me to believe that the "No multiplayer" bit is strictly in regards to having a multiplayer UI, IE: Friend finding/grouping mechanic.

I guess we'll know soon enough though. Either way, I'll have fun with any space game.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I was skeptical about the new Engineers tweaks, but after a few days I have to say: I think Frontier done good. If I'm gunning for a grade five upgrade, I can count on spending an evening's worth of playtime scrounging for materials. But now I can also be fairly certain that I will actually find them in that time, and it's nice to get three spins of the RNG wheel at the end of the night instead of one.

I'm enjoying tricking out my ships--even rerollin' and optimizin' dumb low level upgrades--way more than I thought I would.

Got my pride-and-joy exploration Asp running light and cool and jumping in the high 40s. Gonna take it to Jaques soon.

Similarly, got my trading Clipper tuned for lightning quick escape speeds and an extended jump range in the 30s. Now that its range isn't poo poo, I'm going to take it to Sothis for some trade missions. I bought the thing and put it up on blocks following a community event ages ago; it's nice to have a reason to dust it off and let it purr.

I've got all sorts of new poo poo tacked to my (formerly Fuel Ratting-only) DBX. It now jumps farther than my pre-tuning Asp used to. The DBX has turned into my primary utility ship for tooling around the bubble and doing Engineers-related stuff. Scanning wakes, responding to signal sources, planetary salvaging, bounty hunting for materials, etc. And as of this morning it's sporting an array of incendiary and corrosive multicannons. So far they seem to be melting through enemies slightly faster than their heat build-up can melt my own hull, so that's good. Need to spend some time pew-pewing smugglers and possibly making some adjustments.

My only ship that I haven't started pimping out yet is my old mining Python, just because I haven't been mining a lot since my last reinstall, and it's such a short-range fuel hog to take around to Engineer stations. But I'll do it eventually.

There was a time where the only thing I had left to work for was the inevitable boring Anaconda, but now there are, like, a dozen fun things on my Elite to-do list.

I just unlocked some new armor expert, so tonight I'll be taking some weight off my hulls and making my jump range numbers climb even higher.

Welp that's me gushing about Elite for a bit hope u liked it

edit: I really like how tuning lets you gear ships for specific purposes in a slightly more permanent way. Suddenly you have to put more thought into your plans, because a five-second trip to the outfitters every time you want to completely change roles isn't as viable (if you want the benefits of a highly tuned ship). Like, I really enjoy having an actual use for my DBX now, instead of it just being a shittier Asp that I like the aesthetics of but have to make excuses to fly. Now it has a legit role in my fleet.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 1, 2016

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Natsuumi posted:

Jaques currently has no station services, so if you head that way plan to be totally self-sufficient. The CG going on out there right now is to repair the station to get those services back though.

Thanks for this. Cancelling my trip now - I was pretty confident that I could make the trip out barely, but I'm pretty sure my ship would melt from fuel scooping on the return trip and there's no way I'm gonna risk losing exploration data.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

I was skeptical about the new Engineers tweaks, but after a few days I have to say: I think Frontier done good. If I'm gunning for a grade five upgrade, I can count on spending an evening's worth of playtime scrounging for materials. But now I can also be fairly certain that I will actually find them in that time, and it's nice to get three spins of the RNG wheel at the end of the night instead of one.

I'm enjoying tricking out my ships--even rerollin' and optimizin' dumb low level upgrades--way more than I thought I would.

Got my pride-and-joy exploration Asp running light and cool and jumping in the high 40s. Gonna take it to Jaques soon.

Similarly, got my trading Clipper tuned for lightning quick escape speeds and an extended jump range in the 30s. Now that its range isn't poo poo, I'm going to take it to Sothis for some trade missions. I bought the thing and put it up on blocks following a community event ages ago; it's nice to have a reason to dust it off and let it purr.

I've got all sorts of new poo poo tacked to my (formerly Fuel Ratting-only) DBX. It now jumps farther than my pre-tuning Asp used to. The DBX has turned into my primary utility ship for tooling around the bubble and doing Engineers-related stuff. Scanning wakes, responding to signal sources, planetary salvaging, bounty hunting for materials, etc. And as of this morning it's sporting an array of incendiary and corrosive multicannons. So far they seem to be melting through enemies slightly faster than their heat build-up can melt my own hull, so that's good. Need to spend some time pew-pewing smugglers and possibly making some adjustments.

My only ship that I haven't started pimping out yet is my old mining Python, just because I haven't been mining a lot since my last reinstall, and it's such a short-range fuel hog to take around to Engineer stations. But I'll do it eventually.

There was a time where the only thing I had left to work for was the inevitable boring Anaconda, but now there are, like, a dozen fun things on my Elite to-do list.

I just unlocked some new armor expert, so tonight I'll be taking some weight off my hulls and making my jump range numbers climb even higher.

edit: I really like how tuning lets you gear ships for specific purposes in a slightly more permanent way. Suddenly you have to put more thought into your plans, because a five-second trip to the outfitters every time you want to completely change roles isn't as viable (if you want the benefits of a highly tuned ship). Like, I really enjoy having an actual use for my DBX now, instead of it just being a shittier Asp that I like the aesthetics of but have to make excuses to fly. Now it has a legit role in my fleet.

I'm still a bit frustrated, to be honest. Sure, it's a bit better, but my notoriously bad luck still loves to gently caress with me. The RNG has some kind of grudge against me, I swear. Also I'm kind of swamped with work, so I don't have much time to play. I actually planned on buying, outfitting and upgrading an Imperial Cutter to go visit Jaque, but thanks to the RNG it turned out buying and fitting the Cutter was the easy part. Now I'm stuck at boring myself to tears while slowly grinding the engineers I need for the crazy min-maxed engineer fit I came up with.

With my progress speed right now it looks like I'm just about ready to take off when the Jaque-CG runs out. Welp, it makes me a bit sad, but I guess at least I can finally do this trip to the other side of the galaxy I've been planning for ages.

In my opinion, you should either have randomized drops and a player market to exchange your tons of crap you didn't want for stuff you need, or some better way of getting what you want. Hell, Frontier made things easier, but it's still concentrated bullshit: Now I actually know for sure when a planet doesn't have Polonium on it, so I don't waste hours searching for it. Yay! Now I get three times as much crap I don't need and still zero on what I'm searching for. Yay!

Can you believe that in the entire time since synthesis and materials have been introduced, I found literally zero units Polonium? Apparently I'm the unluckiest man alive. Also Frontier made me hate randomized gameplay with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, which is kind of impressive since I always kind of liked randomness in games. Until I spend half a year trying to find Polonium. Heh.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Trustworthy posted:

What do you do for cargo on the DBX? No shields? Armor tank?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

What do you do for cargo on the DBX? No shields? Armor tank?

At the moment, my DBX has a great jump range and is only seeing action inside the bubble, so it's my only ship that I run without a scoop. I'm flying with a tuned up shield, a 16t cargo bay, a collector limpet controller for when I run into a big cluster of materials, and a fuel limpet controller because I really really like saving stranded pilots.

It's kind of a silly, RP-based build, but it works for me as I putter around doing misc. tasks. I don't get into serious fights with it; I just pick off bounties when I have a clear advantage.

Honestly now that I have my fill of most materials except the really rare stuff, I'm getting pretty picky about what I pick up, and the collector limpet controller isn't nearly as useful as it once was. I could probably do a little juggling and throw a scoop on there instead, and never miss the controller.

Oh, and FWIW I do use two big, tuned shield boosters because I have the power to spare, and it seems to help me stay a tiny bit more survivable.

I think I mentioned it before, but I also keep a wake scanner on board for collecting data. Considering adding a freight scanner, but I don't think I've needed any mats from ship scans yet.

edit: If it's not obvious with the small cargo bay, I don't keep cargo on board unless I'm actively taking it somewhere to sell or use. Keeps the pirates away. If an engineer requires 3 Doobian Doohickeys or whatever, I'll spend a couple extra minutes and go buy them right before I'm ready to upgrade.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 1, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was hoping they were figuring this out when I last played in November. Maybe I'll have to put off picking it back up.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Any of you who have messed with engineers have any luck with Liz Ryder? Trying to trick the Blue Mafia into letting me know she exists, and I know that to do this there will be a mission they give me (I had one pop up once, but it wasn't one I could do) but once a mission does spawn eventually I'm hoping to get some "better" missile launchers for my Cobra MK III. Preferably, hopefully, a set with more holding capacity. But the more I try and fail to get that Mafia to trust me enough to show me a mission again, the more I wonder just how much world of disappointment I'm going to be in.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Met posted:

I was hoping they were figuring this out when I last played in November. Maybe I'll have to put off picking it back up.

I randomly picked the game up again after a long break a month or two ago. Stumbling into the pre-DG/wildcard hype plus finding the player run, lore appropriate radio stations (Goon run and others!) dragged me enough to follow the lore on cannon/Reddit, and to be honest I feel like I've enjoyed all of that more than any official game mechanic.

Maybe I'm not a typical player but if I'm anywhere close to being part of a large group of players Frontier would be stupid not to encourage things being player driven. With what would seem to be fairly tepid support they could make the game seem so much more alive. A second bubble where over the course of a game season or more, players fight to make it self sufficient? Hell, I bet you after that the new bubble would feel much more personal and lively, even if it was functionally identical to the original bubble.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

Natsuumi posted:

I thought i was self-sufficent, but not cramming in a AFMS to save some mass was stupid.
More than halfway to jaques already - Dback explorper, stripped out
I'll make it I HAVE FAITH.

21% hull after a scooping accident.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

Hell if I reach it,
Ill just park there until services are built back up.

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 2, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PoorMoralCompass posted:

I thought i was self-sufficent, but not cramming in a AFMS to save some mass was stupid.
More than halfway to jaques already - Dback explorper, stripped out
I'll make it I HAVE FAITH.

21% hull after a scooping accident.

Just to rub some salt in the wounds… :D
AFMUs have no mass.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

Tippis posted:

Just to rub some salt in the wounds… :D
AFMUs have no mass.

AASSSSSSS>
Still going.
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm going to come back and start playing again. Been forever, but I just burned out before, mostly due to time constraints. Is there a good primer to read for Engineers stuff?

• Locked thread