Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

This has probably - or most likely - been discussed already, but who are these guys?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

neonbregna posted:

Pro tip for levels 40-50ish: make sure you have a ssd so you can slam pick Ana before anyone else. The switch to a useful hero after the round starts. You will notice your win percentage increase.

I call this kind of move the Shimada Shuffle.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Actually there's a very small community, like 10-20 people, all doing the same thing. When you get low enough you find games where half the players in the match are hanjo or genzu and off away from the point spamming hello at each other and very rarely killing each other because the game boots you for inactivity if you don't participate in a kill roughly once every minute or two. It's a magical place.

The other night bacon and I had to leave a game because the other team's pubbies were worse than ours and we were going to win. The other team had a few guys in the lose community, one of whom was named wrstreaprNA, which I really liked. You start to recognize each other after a while.

Are you guys gonna start streaming again? I find it very entertaining.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Shadowban people who say "it's quickplay bro" to justify awful choices into a server populated by bots.

I want to play offensive Torbjorn in peace so gently caress off thanks

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
You can still get placed high even if you lose a lot of your placements, it does consider the win and loss but it also considers how good you did in comparison to other people

i lost 5 of the placements, some of those had leavers, and still got placed at 57

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Kayle7 posted:

You can still get placed high even if you lose a lot of your placements, it does consider the win and loss but it also considers how good you did in comparison to other people

Unless you played mostly support, which will absolutely tank your rating in my experience. Healing doesn't seem to be very highly appreciated in their formula.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

mcbexx posted:

This has probably - or most likely - been discussed already, but who are these guys?

I think the person is named HAWK or Visor or something, we don't really know anything about them except they're on some movie posters with the robot buddy. Chances are pretty good they're a mech pilot like D.Va is but we really don't know anything. One of the movie posters they're on is labeled SUPER MACHINE 2, but that might be a different character too because the visor there is different.

So for the moment, they're just someone in the background of the world with a big name, but we don't even know their name so they're nothing right now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bolow posted:

goof off mode wouldn't be so offensive if competitive weren't a dumpster fire of format decisions

you're basically the lesser of two evils when compared to five-round Hanamura

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Double Bill posted:

Unless you played mostly support, which will absolutely tank your rating in my experience. Healing doesn't seem to be very highly appreciated in their formula.

They need more people who are willing to play support in the 40s-50s, otherwise it'd just be a shitshow of really really mediocre dps 'mains'.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bolow posted:

Do it in competitive and mute voice the second someone complains.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

goof off mode wouldn't be so offensive if competitive weren't a dumpster fire of format decisions

you're basically the lesser of two evils when compared to five-round Hanamura

I have like a 70% win rate as offensive torb :ssh:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Offensive torb is great because the turret can be placed to protect your healers from flankers, and his turret's kinda weak to rely on as an actual defensive position. Even on defense you put the thing in places to gently caress with flankers because almost everyone else can just brush it off before it does anything. Being an armor vending machine and his ult push him way deep into "good" territory on offense.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Rick posted:

Are you guys gonna start streaming again? I find it very entertaining.

final fantasy 14 kidnapped me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kayle7 posted:

i lost 5 of the placements, some of those had leavers, and still got placed at 57

Who cares about the ranking? Losing/winning because someone left is loving boring and makes for a terrible experience, especially with the longer match times of comp.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The longer match times are what really get me in comp and make me want to sabotage my own rating so the game is finally fun.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Offensive torb is great because the turret can be placed to protect your healers from flankers, and his turret's kinda weak to rely on as an actual defensive position. Even on defense you put the thing in places to gently caress with flankers because almost everyone else can just brush it off before it does anything. Being an armor vending machine and his ult push him way deep into "good" territory on offense.

It's mostly dropping the turret near health packs and spamming AARDVARK as I jump up and down holding down left or right click depending on the range and size of target

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I figured I would try Mercy again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Had a QP game where my team of randoms decided spontaneously to go all Genji.

Turned out the other team was 100% Bastion. After we rolled through them, they swapped to Mei/Winston, we swapped to Reaper, and so on and so forth with all 6 swapping to the next counter (sometimes not really a counter) for the whole game.

It was great.

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Love that feeling when you spy a distant teammate with mid health and zarya bubble them as they go around a corner, then get the sweet blub blub blub of energy buildup and a kill notification in the top right

I never play Zarya, and somehow didn't realize that hitting an ally with her shield gave her charge, 45 hours in. It was only last week that a friend told me and I stopped carefully avoiding Zarya's self shield while giving her tons of charge from the other one...

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Shadowban people who say "it's quickplay bro" to justify awful choices into a server populated by bots.

Sorry that triggers you but quick play is for loving off and chilling

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Andrast posted:

My comp experience was playing 6 placement matches and losing all of them because we had a leaver in the few minutes in all of them. Haven't touched it since

The leaver rates get better when you're past the placements and getting matched with people who've been playing comp longer, since the leaver penalties filter out habitual leavers before they get to that point.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Just want to say I think it's great that the Play of the Game decider seems to heavily favor knock-people-off-the-ledge kills because those are super hilarious.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Main Paineframe posted:

The leaver rates get better when you're past the placements and getting matched with people who've been playing comp longer, since the leaver penalties filter out habitual leavers before they get to that point.

Do they, though? Filter out the leavers I mean, because it seems like leavers are still an endemic problem so the penalties don't seem to be discouraging that sort of behavior all that well.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

neonbregna posted:

Sorry that triggers you but quick play is for loving off and chilling

What kind of chill guy uses the word "trigger" like a teenage channer

This is exactly why your kind needs to be segregated into a bot server.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What kind of chill guy uses the word "trigger" like a teenage channer

This is exactly why your kind needs to be segregated into a bot server.

calm down hitler

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Do they, though? Filter out the leavers I mean, because it seems like leavers are still an endemic problem so the penalties don't seem to be discouraging that sort of behavior all that well.

There are people who have whined on the Bnet forums about being banned from comp for the entire rest of the season because of their leaver rate, so it's clearly doing something m

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Theres a system in place it just lets you leave way too many games with little penalty. It needs to get harsh quickly and not reset after 5 games and you get to leave a load more.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Whenever I play quick play I never wait less than 3 minutes for a game, and I usually wait 5 minutes before it even finds one. Am I not wrong for feeling discouraged when the actual game it found lasts less time than the wait it took because it pairs me with a Mei who blocks teammates and a Lucio who wallrides with speed boost instead of healing?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Once I got my first star I found match making way slower in quick play, 3-5 minutes is normal which is kind of lovely. I understand it is probably doing a couple of passes, finding people with a similar level first and then next throwing you in with whoever, but it is pretty annoying right now. On the positive Roadhog is still great, I need an Overwatch avatar and can't decide who to get

https://gfycat.com/AggravatingMinorAmericangoldfinch

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

EMC posted:

Once I got my first star I found match making way slower in quick play, 3-5 minutes is normal which is kind of lovely. I understand it is probably doing a couple of passes, finding people with a similar level first and then next throwing you in with whoever, but it is pretty annoying right now. On the positive Roadhog is still great, I need an Overwatch avatar and can't decide who to get

https://gfycat.com/AggravatingMinorAmericangoldfinch

Ideally much of the player base will catch up at some point, I feel like I play this a lot and I'm only at level 53. Though I've been in matches with plenty of players with a star, isn't it based more on MMR? So maybe you're just owning too much.

I think the Mario avatar is still working to be honest here, if anything they should put him in Overwatch.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

According to kaplans post they only match by mmr but I literally only see non starred people when I group with my buddies who are low level so I don't know.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

So maybe you're just owning too much.

I mean obviously :smug: http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Reprise99-6902

My competitive ranking is a think of beauty

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

flashman posted:

According to kaplans post they only match by mmr but I literally only see non starred people when I group with my buddies who are low level so I don't know.

mmr has nothing to do with your level and never does in any game ever made

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Theta Zero posted:

Whenever I play quick play I never wait less than 3 minutes for a game, and I usually wait 5 minutes before it even finds one. Am I not wrong for feeling discouraged when the actual game it found lasts less time than the wait it took because it pairs me with a Mei who blocks teammates and a Lucio who wallrides with speed boost instead of healing?

Odd, it usually takes me 20-30 seconds.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

EMC posted:

My competitive ranking is a thing of beauty

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/ThetaZero-11890

If matchmaking is based off of MMR then no wonder it's pissy at me. Does it also factor in competitive rank when doing quick play at all? Because that would make it even worse.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

EMC posted:

My competitive ranking is a think of beauty

Are you in Australia like your ol' profile here says? Maybe thats a factor, I know it tries to find people nearby.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

quickplay mmr and ranked mmr are separate

once you're at about the ranking you're supposed to be at, your w/l will start to average out because every game will be pretty even for you. nobody can climb forever. also keep in mind that playing with other people affects mmr because it averages out for your group. it can actually be harder for big groups than it is for one guy, depending on your group

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 1, 2016

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Roadhogs right click can one shot 250 health characters and many of the 200 health characters can die in one shot from Pharas/McCrees/others?

I'm done until this gets fixed, the game is an unfun piece of poo poo right now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

flashman posted:

It's not only MMR, the post you're talking about mentions matchmaking by ping as well, and possibly another condition I'm forgetting.

There's a correlation between time played and skill, it's just neither absolute nor linear.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'm pretty confident that the only one shots in this game are a perfectly spaced Roadhog M2, an arrow to the head, and a charged Widowmaker headshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

bear is driving! posted:

Roadhogs right click can one shot 250 health characters and many of the 200 health characters can die in one shot from Pharas/McCrees/others?

I'm done until this gets fixed, the game is an unfun piece of poo poo right now.

you don't seem to understand how this game works, but ok