Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In other news I just realised that in the priority tab 1 is the highest priority, not 4 :ughh:

No wonder my doctor was running around doing gently caress all while half of the colony was dying of malaria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nullkigan posted:

I've installed a bunch of mods from the workshop, having not played since alpha 8 or so.

When I enable them I get a list of error messages that look like they're something to do with a Voids object and the tag used for research costs changing, but nothing actually tells me which file / mod is causing said errors. Selectively enabling/disabling mods without restarting the game doesn't help. Am I being dumb or am I going to have to reload the game 20 times trying to figure out which mod is responsible?

All of the rimsenal mods do that for me, are you using those?

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Do you have the Community Core Library installed? A lot of mods use it and you'll have to have it loading before them (I load it first)

Yes and it loads immediately after Core, but only Prepare Carefully seems to mention it as a requirement.

List is: CCL, Expanded Prosthetics and Organs, Embrasures, MoreFloors, Rimhair, More Vanilla Turrets, Aparello, Craftable Medicine, Medieval Shields, Rimsenal, 3DG Weapon Pack RT Weapon Pack (basically "Armory"), Mad Skills - Tiered, EdB Prepare Carefully and Pawn State Icons.

It sort of works, but crashes my sound drivers or causes other odd behaviour.

EDIT: Ah. Yeah, it was Rimsenal. Now that I look at the workshop page it's apparently not for A14 even though it's tagged for it.

Nullkigan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 31, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Son of Rodney posted:

In other news I just realised that in the priority tab 1 is the highest priority, not 4 :ughh:

No wonder my doctor was running around doing gently caress all while half of the colony was dying of malaria

lol i did the same thing to myself in my first colony

Just The Facts posted:

Actually picked this up after reading a bit in the thread and some of the reviews on Steam. Anything a first timer should know/try?

don't listen to the game, your first game should be randy random on rough. the default one is just depressing

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Petunia lived long enough to see herself become the villain :(

I love the stories that emerge from this dumb game.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Just The Facts posted:

Actually picked this up after reading a bit in the thread and some of the reviews on Steam. Anything a first timer should know/try?

dont set the difficulty too high at first, the difficulty curve is designed to destroy you. medium is nice and tough

reroll your starting colonist if any of them have: dementia, bad back, abrasive, no dumb labor. try to get a grower, a cook, and a researcher

by the end of the first day you should have four beds, indoors, and all of your things stored indoors, including the freebie emergency meals scattered around the map

if someone falls from space and you want to add them to your colony, you need to Capture them not Rescue them

learn to use the manual priorities, the ones with 1 through 4. and don't neglect cleaning, it's actually pretty important to keep your colony tidy

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

also for your first game pick a mountainous forested area that allows for year-round growing and plonk your base in a chokepoint because you're going to get attacked by psychos on the reg

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheDK posted:

Don't get too attached to your colonists. Jump in and die a glorious death. Reroll your starters so you have a good shooter, good doctor, and a good chef.

A good grower helps too, as does having two or more doctors since they can't treat themselves. Luckily a single colonist can fulfill multiple roles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A good constructor also helps because good quality beds let your colonists spend less time asleep, meaning more time working, and good quality furniture is basically the only way to satisfy the comfort need.

Really all of the general skills benefit immensely from having a skilled worker at them, the game is pretty well balanced like that, but I personally would say that the ones which most significantly improve your colony's survivability are:

Shooter: Because the game scales raids based on your number of colonists and wealth, not necessarily how good they are at fighting, so having a good combatant will help you offset this. Good shooters are also hard to come by so rolling one at the start with no injuries, helpful traits such as fast walking, prosthophile, and careful shooter will give you a colonist you can rely on throughout the game for combat.

Grower: But only for areas with scant soil/growing season, if you have a lot of both you can just assign a bunch of idiots to huge fields and grind the skill up, but if you're on a time limit you need to get a harvest planted and grown if you are going to survive the winter, how good your grower is determines how small a field/time window you can work with, basically, because worse growers will harvest less food from crops and take a lot longer to plant things, and also can't plant all types of stuff.

Constructor: Because as above, quality furniture is incredibly powerful, almost everythng your colonists do will require a furniture item, and the quality of the item affects how well they do it. The difference between an awful and excellent bed can be something like two hours sleep a day needed to fill the bar up, and that adds up a lot when you're on a time limit to get stuff done before winter. Colonists eating in a dining room full of high quality furniture will be happier and more comfortable, entertainment buildings build joy faster when higher quality, basically furniture is one of the biggest categories of investment in your colony and good furniture improves almost every aspect of your colony, constructors are incredibly valuable for efficient functioning of a colony though they provide no immediate necessary functions, you can live without one, but your life is so much easier with one.

Doctor: Because poor medical care will be a major drain on your resources and can lead to long term damage on colonists, as well as having them just out of action for a long time, a good doctor helps keep colonists in tip top shape and also helps to avoid infection, you need a good doctor to reliably use bionics too which are again, very good ways to offset the game's raid difficulty calculations.

Crafter: Possibly more important for Tribals because tribals can't get guns easily, being able to create good quality bows and clubs can help offset the technological difference in the early game, tribals need to run a more militarized society because they can't compete technically with raiders, so giving everyone good quality weapons can help a lot with this.

Cook: Cooks help prevent food poisoning and Fine Meals are an excellent source of happiness while being more nutritionally efficient than basic meals, as long as you've got meat, cooking is often a full time job as you don't want to prepare too many meals at once for risk of losing them to rot, a good cook can shorten the time needed for preparation, prepare better meals, and avoid wasted food by having colonists vomit your lovely cooking all over the dining room. Simple meals will do but good cooks are better.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

Crafter: Possibly more important for Tribals because tribals can't get guns easily, being able to create good quality bows and clubs can help offset the technological difference in the early game, tribals need to run a more militarized society because they can't compete technically with raiders, so giving everyone good quality weapons can help a lot with this.

Great bows are also just generally excellent weapons. Sure, you'd probably do better with a real sniper rifle, but a bunch of tribals with great bows is nothing to scoff at

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Azhais posted:

Great bows are also just generally excellent weapons. Sure, you'd probably do better with a real sniper rifle, but a bunch of tribals with great bows is nothing to scoff at

Great bows are ridiculous in numbers and just about the best weapon in the game, excepting charge rifles and assault rifles. Between OK damage, ridiculous range relative to firearms, a high reload speed, and no significant cooldown after shot you can just demolish most raids with a few decent shooters. Especially since you put so many projectiles in the air that you damage legs and arms quickly and reduce manipulation and moving speed to a point that you can just pincushion the poo poo out of targets.

I really hate greatbows in this game. It gives the savages a parity that maxim guns have a hard time making up for.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Taerkar posted:

Do you have the Community Core Library installed? A lot of mods use it and you'll have to have it loading before them (I load it first)

Load order is important as well, and very important to note, the "Core" mod is the actual vanilla game content and absolutely must be first in the list, always. Community Core Library generally goes second, right after Core. You can gently caress up your installation if you put anything before the base game's Core so be careful of that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What do people here usually set their freezer to? I like to leave it on -5 to have some leeway in case it suddenly sees a lot of traffic.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

usually -9

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

What do people here usually set their freezer to? I like to leave it on -5 to have some leeway in case it suddenly sees a lot of traffic.

-15 in case I run out of power in the middle of the night. It's an annoyingly common problem for me in the midgame.

On a related note, how do you get your guys to stop eating poo poo directly out of the freezer? I have a well-appointed dining room with stone tables, good chairs, comfortable temperatures, and a bunch of statues, but they all insist on eating off the floor in the freezer.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ah, I used to have it at around -10 until I started building the cooking/butchering stations inside the freezer, and now I keep it fairly close to 0 so the people working there don't get annoyed/frostbitten.

For the problem with people eating off the freezer floor. Colonists will only eat at a table if it's close enough to where they pick up their food, so build the dining room relatively close to the freezer. I usually have it in the next room over.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 31, 2016

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

...build the dining room relatively close to the freezer. I usually have it in the next room over.

Ah, that would be the problem, the dining room's part of the rec room clear across the settlement from the freezer. Time to mine more rooms.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I think my favorite way to play this game is random crash site, random colonists, no re-rolls, and hope for the best.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's totally fine to have your kitchen inside your freezer, except stacks of meat are super ugly and the mood malus from hanging around in a mega ugly room may offset whatever efficiency you might be getting by putting the stove inside the freezer. I think it's fine to have the butcher table inside though, since it's not in constant use.

e: My personal favorite embark is with handpicked tribals but they start with nothing, just a couple days worth of food and like 20 medicine and bottom tier weapons like clubs.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 31, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Should I build my base into a mountain, a la Dwarf Fortress, or is it better to build outside?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Fat Samurai posted:

Should I build my base into a mountain, a la Dwarf Fortress, or is it better to build outside?

depends on whether you like "infestations"?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

So glad I got this game. Very first 'raid' was a single guy who came at night and shanked the cat that befriended my guy.

He survived

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fat Samurai posted:

if you build outside, you build faster, have more flexibility, and have more access to food and non-rock resources

if you build under a mountain, you're more secure and temperature is easier to deal with. you're pretty hard to get at, which is why bug infestations were added

neither method is better. i prefer to build outside

Just The Facts posted:

So glad I got this game. Very first 'raid' was a single guy who came at night and shanked the cat that befriended my guy.

He survived

yeah designate animal sleeping spots inside to prevent this. i started doing this after a panther came into camp in the middle of the night and killed all of my pet cats while they slept. what kind of cat sleeps at night anyway

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Building in a mountain also prevents raiders from dropping through your roof. I find infestations easier to deal with than high end raiders dropping in and tearing poo poo up.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Last game ended in a cascade of terror when my three best farmers got sniped with hunting rifles by two raiders despite having a considerable cover and lighting advantage. I then had a twelve day toxic fallout event which killed every living thing on the map except my colonists and two pet alpacas. The alpacas went mad from starvation shortly after the dust settled, and a +20 C heatwave started and killed off two or three more people. The game threw drop survivor events at me but my only mobile colonist had a shattered jaw, meaning they couldn't warden (this also explains the alpacas when I had a thousand potatoes!) Finally a couple of mad boars arrived from off map when I wasn't looking and managed to somehow kill the only non-patient i had, though they were both immobilised in the attempt. It was a mercifully brief wait for the patients to succumb to a mixture of infections.

Infestations were added since I last played. What are they and how bad are they? Can I design some form of defense against them? Are they Dwarf Fortress-esque spires of demon-bugs hidden in resource patches?

You have to have at least some outside area to build the spaceship and for orbital trading. Hydroponics always took so much time I'd basically build mining towns around a tunnel mouth. When raiders turned up I'd fall back into the tunnels and hose down the entry ways with minigns.

I also used to have a bunch of turrets and bunkers right behind the only way through my perimeter fences, but I remember sappers were on the agenda for blowing holes in your walls and fixing that strategy. Also centipedes didn't give a gently caress until you modded in some form of beanbag gun as they were resistant to all damage except bludgeoning.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i don't know a lot about the other stuff but sappers will blast their way in. the ones i encountered only had frag grenades and molotovs so it was pretty easy to just pop out of the base and shoot them up before they got near enough to do any damage

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm, greatbows have good range and reasonable damage but I always found them a bit inaccurate, I suppose for untrained colonists this isn't as much of a problem, comparing them to survival rifles which aren't too hard to come by for non-tribal factions I find the survival rifle appreciably better in terms of accuracy, being probably the most universally accurate weapon in the game, so with colonists skilled in shooting you will hit almost every shot in good conditions.

I guess for the tribal style of a militarized society however the volume of fire provided by greatbows is probably better. High ROF weapons being more accurate than their stats would suggest.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

depends on whether you like "infestations"?

You should always like free delicious bug jelly delivered to your freezer. Infestations are great.

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Hmm, greatbows have good range and reasonable damage but I always found them a bit inaccurate, I suppose for untrained colonists this isn't as much of a problem, comparing them to survival rifles which aren't too hard to come by for non-tribal factions I find the survival rifle appreciably better in terms of accuracy, being probably the most universally accurate weapon in the game, so with colonists skilled in shooting you will hit almost every shot in good conditions.

I guess for the tribal style of a militarized society however the volume of fire provided by greatbows is probably better. High ROF weapons being more accurate than their stats would suggest.

You should always like free delicious bug jelly delivered to your freezer. Infestations are great.

I once had a colony with bedrooms carved out of a mountain. An infestation plonked the hive right into the bedroom of my only doctor and his lover, and then promptly ate them. They then managed to kill everybody else.

I don't put bedrooms inside mountains anymore.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The assault rifle is really probably the best all around vanilla weapon but great bows are very good, especially since they're cheap to make in large quantities if you have wood on the map and quality improves their accuracy a whole bunch.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How are PDWs?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

IMO probably the 2nd or 3rd best overall weapon, right around the charge rifle.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Couple questions.

I put two batteries next to my solar panel, with another solar panel a little further off. Did the batteries only charge off the solar panel they were touching or both of them?

I had a timber wolf bonded pet for my crazy character ( I went with the bored explorer start ), who had 12? 14? 16? in Animal Handling. I clicked the training buttons for Obedience and Haul on the wolf, but she never went to go train it? I even manually went to my Work tab and set Animal Handling to 1, and everything else to 4/0 and she still wouldn't go train the wolf. What am I missing here?

As I said, went solo start. Around day 4? or 5 as I was building my defenses another person showed up and joined me, and told me I had a village now. Is this the norm for the solo start, or did I just get "lucky" ( she had terrible stats and had the argue trait, so ).

Also on that note, when I got my first raid, it was a single naked person with a club. Is that the average, or did I just get lucky. Having a pulse rifle and two turrets made that a pretty chill raid.

How do you make food? I placed down 4 growing areas, one for potato/strawberries/corn/strawberries. I never got around to picking them, but I built an electric stove area. Is there another part of the process I'm missing there? I'd rather not end up starving after my food starts getting made entirely because I didn't know how to cook it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Batteries charge anywhere on the grid. Outdoors they will explode if it rains.

The person showing up and a first raid being one dude is common.

Cooking you go to the stove and hit the bills button and put in a job to make simple meals. Crop wise you grower will harvest automatically

Azhais fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 1, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Note that a whole bunch of electrically powered constructions will blow up if they get rained on, e.g. the electric cookstove or the electric smithy.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fperson1 posted:

I once had a colony with bedrooms carved out of a mountain. An infestation plonked the hive right into the bedroom of my only doctor and his lover, and then promptly ate them. They then managed to kill everybody else.

I don't put bedrooms inside mountains anymore.

The right lesson to learn from this isn't "don't build inside mountains", it's "change all your room designs to include turrets".

Your colonists will sleep safe under the watchful gaze of unaccountable machine gun robots.

Fperson1 posted:

Ah, that would be the problem, the dining room's part of the rec room clear across the settlement from the freezer. Time to mine more rooms.

Get CCL, put refrigerated hoppers in the dining room with a higher priority than the freezer and set to meals only.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

NeurosisHead posted:

I think my favorite way to play this game is random crash site, random colonists, no re-rolls, and hope for the best.

I'm pretty new but same here. I tend to play that way in most of my games. I have a nurse who is incapable of caring, a healer and a geriatric math professor with clogged arteries. Also I have the random AI on. It's unlikely to last long but it'll be fun, I hope.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
What's the reasoning behind Assault/Charge rifles being great? I always go almost exclusively with sniper rifles, flanked by people with plasteel swords just in case the distance gets closed. Usually I have one incredible shooter who just one-shots raider after raider until the rest decide it's not worth having their head/spine/heart get exploded by some jerk sitting two miles away in a bunker while they plink away with pistols and shotguns.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Assault rifles have really, really high accuracy as well as very good dps, very low cycle time and high range. Charge rifles have the best dps and very low cycle time as well but their range is like 10 tiles less. The reason I say assault rifles are so great overall is because you can put them in the hands of a colonist with Shooting: 3 and they'll still be very dangerous at long range because the weapon's accuracy is so good. Once you have about 10 guys with assault rifles very little can threaten you any more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Assault rifles have really, really high accuracy as well as very good dps, very low cycle time and high range. Charge rifles have the best dps and very low cycle time as well but their range is like 10 tiles less. The reason I say assault rifles are so great overall is because you can put them in the hands of a colonist with Shooting: 3 and they'll still be very dangerous at long range because the weapon's accuracy is so good. Once you have about 10 guys with assault rifles very little can threaten you any more.

Essentially, a weapon's chance-to-hit is specifically it's chance to intentionally hit what it's aiming at. Not its absolute chance to hit.

Because the game allows bullets to hit things if they happen to cross the tile the thing is on, so it's entirely possible to just spray bullets at enemies and hit them anyway completely irrespective of your aiming ability.

So, for weapons with a high rate of fire, the rate of fire becomes more significant than the accuracy of the weapon at low skill levels and especially against massed targets. Put enough bullets downrange and you're guaranteed to hit something. So high ROF is a good thing in and of itself, which is why sniper rifles are not the best weapon. If they hit stuff they'll probably gently caress it up and they're great on the attack because you can pick people off before they can return fire, but for fending off an attack, sniper rifles are only really good in the hands of a skilled shooter, everyone else is better off with an assault rifle which combines high ROF with reasonable accuracy and range.

This is also why, if you have someone with the trigger happy trait, you should give them an LMG or a minigun, it'll nearly double their effectiveness with the weapon because you're never going to hit anything you aim at anyway, but spraying endless bullets at waves of enemies is helpful.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I harvested the ears and noses of prisoners and let them go free.

I am a horrible monster.