Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Unmature posted:

The Filmstruck beta site is so terrible it's keeping me from wanting to watch anything on it. Not even just beta stuff, it's so poorly put together in ways that a decade of streaming should make obvious in the earliest stages.

Parallax posted:

I realized that every web thing TCM has tried to do is pretty piss poor so I'm not too optimistic about it. I just hope it gets a fair amount of stuff I want to watch and has a decent way of sorting through it

The Fire TV app is super good. I don't really understand why anybody tries to use streaming services on PC. The cost of entry is so low.

(this wasn't directed at unmature. i can understand using the pc when the testing platforms are limited)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Bicycle Thief, 400 Blows, Breathless, and Solaris have all been blind buys that I've resold because I was very meh on them. Loved Weekend and Alphaville though, and most anything else I've bought. Resold The Third Man for a new house even though it's great, though.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Fire TV app is super good. I don't really understand why anybody tries to use streaming services on PC. The cost of entry is so low.

(this wasn't directed at unmature. i can understand using the pc when the testing platforms are limited)

at this point HDMI ports are a more valuable resource than money, so it's a shame more streaming options don't come to PS4. I'd love a WatchTCM app for it

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Are the I Am Curious films any good? All I know about them is there is a blowjob in it and Jackie Kennedy got spotted seeing it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah, it's the only option I have. I'm sure eventually they'll have a PS4 app, but no way by the end of beta.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The_Rob posted:

I mean honestly it sounds like you might actually like the film. No one watches a movie multiple times unless you find something interesting and of merit.

This. I saw 2001 at least four times before I realized I actually liked it at all.

And I think poo poo like that is just a consequence of cinephilia. There's no way to express to someone who doesn't really dig movies why you would watch Bicycle Thieves four times if you just don't like it. I get it, though, because even though you might not like it, that's not the same as Bicycle Thieves not being a great movie.

Bicycle Thieves is just up there with It's a Wonderful Life in terms of films that just punch me square in the 'sad nerves,' to an extent that I actually kind of feel sorry for people who don't 'get it,' whatever that means.

I also agree that you don't need to know anything about the post-war context to appreciate Bicycle Thieves. It's a movie about a father and his son.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh, no, I understand why Bicycle Thieves is canonized, and there's plenty to analyze, I just hate watching it. If I want to cry, I'll watch Make Way For Tomorrow. Now those are some real meaty American tears.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh, no, I understand why Bicycle Thieves is canonized, and there's plenty to analyze, I just hate watching it. If I want to cry, I'll watch Make Way For Tomorrow. Now those are some real meaty American tears.

Ikiru is very good for crying

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Also Umberto D

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Also Umberto D

I know nothing about this film other than that it is on the syllabus for the film class I'm taking this semester.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

The_Rob posted:

Also Umberto D

Let us not forget Homeward Bound, which I can assume will be released soon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I'd really like to see this again because the first time I saw it I was kind of underwhelmed, but I also kept getting interrupted, which was really annoying. It and Tokyo Story would make an excellent double feature, especially in contrasting how Kurosawa and Ozu tackle similar subjects. Neither really yanked the tears out of me, though (that award goes to Dancer in the Dark, lmao).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If we're talking Criterions that make us cry the most, mine is definitely Watership Down

Tokyo Story definitely hit me like a ton of bricks too

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I spent the last half hour of Blue is the Warmest Color crying so much my nose stuffed up. It was 3 a.m. and I'd had a bottle of wine, which may have contributed, but its still a great movie

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

blue squares posted:

I know nothing about this film other than that it is on the syllabus for the film class I'm taking this semester.

Get ready to get real sad is all I can say.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

I mean honestly it sounds like you might actually like the film. No one watches a movie multiple times unless you find something interesting and of merit.

I have seen Jaws: The Revenge multiple times.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I have seen Jaws: The Revenge multiple times.

You probably like Jaws The Revenge.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey blue squares I know this is from last page but Passion of Joan of Arc is loving amazing and you should definitely watch it also I really like your tastes in general from what I can tell do you have a criticker account or anything

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Hey blue squares I know this is from last page but Passion of Joan of Arc is loving amazing and you should definitely watch it also I really like your tastes in general from what I can tell do you have a criticker account or anything

I don't have any sort of account like that but okay, I'll watch Passion this week and report back

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Passion of Joan of Arc is loving amazing and you should definitely watch it

seconding this for you and for anyone else who hasn't seen it

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I love it when I see a film and it takes a few viewings to realize how great it is.

My first viewing of The Godfather left me feeling cold. Didn't gel with me. I was 18 years old and probably didn't appreciate it yet. Went back to it a few years later while I was in college and enjoyed it. Third time, some time after college, I loved it.

Eyes Wide Shut was another. I snuck it in from my father's DVDs on loan from my stepbrother when I was 17. Expecting gratuitous tits and sex, I was utterly disappointed. Years later in college, I was actually mature enough to get it and even got to see it in 35mm. Probably my favorite Kubrick now.

Moulin Rouge! was one where I saw it and was completely puzzled. Then I thought more about it and watched it again the next day and loved it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have a feeling Blade Runner would be that movie for me. I remember watching the dvd, I think the Directors Cut for the fist time in 2007 or 8. It should have been extremely my poo poo, but I thought it was ok. I haven't seen it since but they were projecting it at a bar I went to a few months back and I couldn't keep my eyes off how beautiful it was. Gotta revisit it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Watching Paths of Glory right now and I realize that George Clooney has a striking resemblance to Kirk Douglas.

Edit: That was a good movie.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 1, 2016

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Godfather and Blade Runner are in the same camp, where intellectually I understand why they're so well-regarded but they do nothing for me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I like Bicycle Thieves a lot, but on some days, I wish Paisan had become the defining representative of Italian neorealism instead.

And since we're on the subject of silent films, is there any chance of Sunrise ever getting a Criterion release?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sunrise has a great region free release from Masters of Cinema and a nearly identical US edition from Fox minus a booklet.

John Bailey commentary, outtakes reel, reconstruction of Four Devils, the alternate European cut (from a Czech print), trailer, and booklet. MoC's City Girl is also region free.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

Sunrise has a great region free release from Masters of Cinema and a nearly identical US edition from Fox minus a booklet.

John Bailey commentary, outtakes reel, reconstruction of Four Devils, the alternate European cut (from a Czech print), trailer, and booklet. MoC's City Girl is also region free.

I might have to buy this.

Did the Academy Awards create a special one time category at the first one just to honor it?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sunrise was the first silent film I ever saw and I was blown away.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I might have to buy this.

Did the Academy Awards create a special one time category at the first one just to honor it?

I think they were going to have two categories before making it just one.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sunrise-A-Song-of-Two-Humans-Blu-ray/67582/#Review

The US cut is in a bit ragged condition, but it looks nice. The Czech print is in far better condition, though is missing about 15 minutes of footage.

Wings is "officially" the Best Picture of that year. Great film, as well. Paramount did a full 4K restoration and had the premiere soundtrack re-created (orchestral score plus Ben Burtt re-recording sound effects in 5.1).

I'd totally see Criterion getting some of the Ford and Borzage silents from Fox since they were all released on DVD. Kino is putting out 3 Bad Men (Ford) soon. I have Fox's DVD for The Iron Horse and it looks fantastic (in addition to having both the US and European cuts, plus a lot of extras).

Greed is highly likely from Criterion since Christopher Nolan requested it and now they're licensing from Warner Bros. There's also a new restoration of the 1925 Ben-Hur that was utilized for Stewart Copeland's live "score" performance.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
How are the Ozu silents in that eclipse set. I need to watch more silent films.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

How are the Ozu silents in that eclipse set. I need to watch more silent films.

Which silent films have you seen and enjoyed?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked I Was Born, But... quite a bit and haven't seen the others.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm an impatient gently caress so I ebayed copies of Walkabout and The Moment Of Truth while waiting for my Barnes and Noble copies to arrive in the country. Finally got them today and it appears my copy of Walkabout is severely bronzed - anyone have any experience with the returns/exchange thing they did for this a while back, or know if it's still in effect? Will they ship to overseas for replacements?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

I'm an impatient gently caress so I ebayed copies of Walkabout and The Moment Of Truth while waiting for my Barnes and Noble copies to arrive in the country. Finally got them today and it appears my copy of Walkabout is severely bronzed - anyone have any experience with the returns/exchange thing they did for this a while back, or know if it's still in effect? Will they ship to overseas for replacements?

cut your loses and just return it, don't replace

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

blue squares posted:

Which silent films have you seen and enjoyed?

Forgot to reply:
Metropolis
Sunrise
Chaplin films
Battlestar Potemkin
and I'm sure there is more just blanking at the moment.

Did not enjoy cabinet of dr caligary.

I really am lacking in this area.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Battlestar Potemkin

Awesome.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Forgot to reply:
Metropolis
Sunrise
Chaplin films
Battlestar Potemkin
and I'm sure there is more just blanking at the moment.

Did not enjoy cabinet of dr caligary.

I really am lacking in this area.

Get Lonesome and the Freshman.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I loved Metropolis but I had probably the most miserable experience ever when I saw it for the first time. It was back when the full/uncut version was making the rounds in some theatres and it was getting shown at Coolidge Corner in Boston, but it was like in the middle of summer and the AC had broken. So it was a viewing spent in a 90+ degree theatre packed with people for 2.5 hours.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's not Criterion, but BFI is releasing Napoleon in November. It's the Kevin Brownlow restoration. Looks fantastic. Brownlow also supervised the BFI editions of The Phantom of the Opera and The Birth of a Nation, both of which are vastly superior to the US releases.

A lot of people believe Criterion will release it in the US/Canada when the Zoetrope Studios/Cinemateque Francais restoration is completed next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Oops :downsa: