Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, dead enemies don't do damage.

Update maybe tomorrow, maybe Sunday.

EDIT: Really feel awful, not happening today.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Twenty-Three: Welcome to the Jungle

With the little diversion done with, let’s head to Agul Eviland. It’s an all-new area and I really like the aesthetics.

Video- Frightening Forest

Watch

I mean look at that tree :3:.

Yeah. There are a lot of strong monsters all around.
Any normal demon wouldn’t even dare step foot here.
Etna, aren’t you still hiding something?
Huh? What are you talking about?
Don’t play dumb. You would never come to a place like this.
No matter what anyone else would think of you.
Come to think of it, yeah. I can’t imagine Etna doing anything that wouldn’t make her money.
That’s so mean… But it’s true.

It turns out this may actually be important.

In a place like this?
Well, that’s what he told me. I don’t actually remember it myself.
So that means…the person who sent you that letter…
Might know something about your past…!
Which is why you decided to risk coming here…?
Hmph! So what if they know about her past!? She’s my vassal now!
Ummm, Big Brother…why are you getting all riled up…!?

You followed me here, Prince, so get rid of them for me. Thanks.
Hmph. Leave it to me!

This map is populated with exactly the monsters you’d expect from the cutscene.

There are Nekomata on very adverse Geo Panels and a group of Saber Kitties guarding the symbols. Even though we get bonus EXP from the panels, it’s best to just go all clear this time. On repetitions the Enemy Boost won’t be present, making this a great leveling map. But yeah, we just throw Laharl up and clear the symbols on turn one, relying on our Armor Knight to take some hits and keep him safe. Nekomata are sort of like monster Fist users and can be quite hard to hit, so keep that in mind.

Video- Momentary Bravado

Watch

Got a bit more story on the next one.

What is it? Not feeling well?
Oh, you could tell? I really don’t like it here.
Since I heard this was where I was found, I’ve come here a few times…
But every time I’m here, my body stiffens up. I really don’t like how it feels.
I always thought you were mentally tough, but I guess even you can be delicate, too, sometimes.
Laharl. I know you’re worried. You should’ve said that a little kinder.
I’m not worried! All I have to say is you better not drag me down.
Hey, you’re the one who followed me. Remember that.
Could the reason you start to feel bad here be because of something that happened in the past? Something scary maybe…
I don’t know… But I get this nostalgic feeling here… Something about how it smells, I think…
Could it be the smell of the fruit on the trees? They look really tasty.

I like the taste, but it’s not only that… It’s really nostalgic, ya know…
I want one, too!
Wait! Me first!
Wow, a lot of fruit fell out!

For once the monsters appearing actually makes sense!

But these guys don’t look very appetizing.

No Geo stuff to deal with this time, though we do have some annoying monster synergy. The Slimes aren’t as resistant to non-elemental damage as the ones we saw previously, but they have a chance to cause the really nasty Deprave status when you hit them. Deprave reduces all your stats, it’s bad news. Even worse, the Mothmen are the flavor that makes us more susceptible to ailments to make it even more unsafe to hit the Slimes. There’s also a group of Nekomata up top to deal with, though they won’t generally engage until pretty late.

That’s it for today, more Eviland next time.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: The Jungle Book.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'll probably cover some more monsters tomorrow, and ideally I'll have an update Wednesday or so (I'm out of content but I'll get some stuff recorded tonight or tomorrow).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the focus on King K this game has. It seems he was a pretty interesting dude and the world is poorer for his passing.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

I like the focus on King K this game has. It seems he was a pretty interesting dude and the world is poorer for his passing.

Yeah this game is very much leading into what Disgaea 5 goes hard into, what it actually means to be a good Overlord.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Since we got a gun-based bonus character I think it's time to talk about her and Gunners as well.

It's High Noon

We'll start with the generic Gunner, who's still a cowboy.

Weapon Skills: Gunners are A with Guns (surprise), B with Fists, C with Bows, D with Staves, and E with everything else. Realistically you should stick with Guns for them, it's what it says on the tin after all.

Stats: Gunners have good HIT, okay SPD and SP, but below average HP and poor ATK, DEF, and INT. Which is a big part of why you ignore their B rank in Fists, their ATK even at rank 6 just doesn't support it.

Evilities: Gunners have powerful team support Evilities.

Assist - Register attack to give subsequent ally units 100% accuracy. In certain circumstances this can be incredible. So, for the duration of a combo that a Gunner takes part in, all allies that act after him are 100% accurate. This is a great way to ensure less accurate characters hit or get around dodgy effects. It's also stronger than it seems if you take advantage of multi-target attacks to spread your Combo a bit.

Marking - Register attack to increase Attack Power of subsequent ally units by 20%. Similar to Assist, but better in circumstances where you're already accurate and thus better in the long-term.

Second Attack - Increase Attack Power by 50% when performing Combos or Team Attacks. This one is for the Gunner himself, but still requires him to be working with teammates. It's only better if a 50% boost to his damage is better than the integral of all those 20% boosts you'd get otherwise, which it probably isn't. I'm not totally sure you can even game it by registering attacks after him expecting him to kill the target with the first attack, pretty sure that won't get the benefit since it's not a Combo yet.

Now for Asagi, who owns.

Weapon Skills: Asagi has an S rank with Guns, B with Bows, and C with everything else but Swords and Books, which she is D rank in. Give her a Gun, it's the right choice.

Stats: Asagi is well above average in HIT and SPD, above average in ATK and HP, a bit below in RES, and not so great in INT. Her stats in principle actually could support her using a Bow but not nearly as well as a Gun.

Evility: Asagi's Evility is Never Give Up, and it kind of matches up with the themes of the Gunners that she is the logical extension of. When she's taking part in a Combo, she'll get to take up to three bonus attacks. In practice most targets aren't hard enough that this will actually happen, but for a really solid boss leading with her and then getting a bunch of other hits in can stack damage like crazy.

Skills: Asagi's got three unique skills.

Cameo Storm: This hits an X shape just in front of Asagi. Note that it does NOT hit the tile directly in front of her but one past that as its center. The damage isn't great but it does have an unusual AoE which can be nice.

Dead Hurdles: This hits a plus-shaped area that can be targeted in straight lines at a medium range a la a gun skill. It's got a decent AoE and does okay but not amazing damage.

Asagi Chachacha: An interesting skill, this takes everything directly adjacent to Asagi and does okay damage while also pushing them away from her. Useful if you need her to be able to move when she's cut off.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh wow, I totally missed this LP had started somehow.

quote:

So, this gets complicated. The original Disgaea did in fact have a sequel, Disgaea 2, which did in fact follow directly after the first game (though its main characters were only tangential to that plot). This game, while set after that one, is a direct sequel to the original Disgaea, featuring its main characters (though Captain Gordon and his friends have returned to Earth).

This is wrong, by the way. Disgaea D2 takes place between Disgaea 1 and Disgaea 2. Well unless you meant to say "this game was released after Disgaea 2", in which case yeah.

Also the D2 in the title stands for "Dimension 2". Considering how the characters introduced in this game obviously didn't show up in 2, 3, and 4, and how Laharl acts differently from how he does in his cameos, it's sorta implied that D2 is an outright alternate dimension.

Anyways as for the game itself, I really enjoyed a lot of the new gameplay decisions, and I think Sicily was a vitally needed character for Laharl (he really does need someone who honestly looks up to him instead of constantly making GBS threads on him like Etna or nagging him like Flonne), but the plot itself was a big meeeeeeeh. I actually think the D2 cameo scenario in Disgaea 5 was way better than this entire game.

But that's sorta not fair, because Disgaea 5's cameo scenarios poo poo all over literally every other previous Disgaea's by sheer virtue of actually letting the characters change from how they were in their original games. God I love Disgaea 5.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 26, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm not sure the male main character of this video game actually needed more women to tell him how cool he is.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 26, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I understand the point you're making, but I don't think it's applicable. Whatever you might think of Disgaea's female cast, it doesn't remotely play out like the harem anime you seem to be envisioning. Etna & Flonne aren't there to fluff Laharl's ego. They spend most of their time deflating it instead, and that holds true across the entire series let alone this game so far. Sicily didn't get added because the the writers think Laharl deserved an uncritical fangirl (and I think it's a stretch to describe her as such), she's there to push the character dynamic in new directions.

I like the main trio and all, but I don't think watching them bounce off each other in the exact same way for yet another 80-hour game would hold my interest.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm not sure the male main character of this video game actually needed more women to tell him how cool he is.

Laharl's entire character up till D2 was "braggart who is constantly put in his place by his sidekicks". To say that got old really fast is an understatement, even if it was funny at first.

Sicily's big addition isn't that she's his cheerleader, it's that she's legitimately nice to him and he is actually unsure of how to respond to this. He pretty much turns into "braggart with a soft spot for his sister", which is both something different and kinda cute.

You can already see that even now with how much he goes "I'm not doing this" *Sicily wants to do this* "CHANGED MY MIND LET'S DO THIS".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Let me put it this way: I don't think Laharl needed another another female character who only exists to support his story. They don't need to respect him or even like him for their existence to be all about him. I don't mind Etna and Flonne so much - they've both appeared in games without Laharl in them, they both get their own stories in this game, and even at their worst they're only mostly defined by their relationship to Laharl. Sicily is completely defined by her relationship to Laharl. Her only purpose as a character is to be "Laharl's sister" - hell, she doesn't even get her own character class.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sicily didn't learn how to hack her class yet.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh wow, I totally missed this LP had started somehow.

This is wrong, by the way. Disgaea D2 takes place between Disgaea 1 and Disgaea 2. Well unless you meant to say "this game was released after Disgaea 2", in which case yeah.

Also the D2 in the title stands for "Dimension 2". Considering how the characters introduced in this game obviously didn't show up in 2, 3, and 4, and how Laharl acts differently from how he does in his cameos, it's sorta implied that D2 is an outright alternate dimension.

Anyways as for the game itself, I really enjoyed a lot of the new gameplay decisions, and I think Sicily was a vitally needed character for Laharl (he really does need someone who honestly looks up to him instead of constantly making GBS threads on him like Etna or nagging him like Flonne), but the plot itself was a big meeeeeeeh. I actually think the D2 cameo scenario in Disgaea 5 was way better than this entire game.

But that's sorta not fair, because Disgaea 5's cameo scenarios poo poo all over literally every other previous Disgaea's by sheer virtue of actually letting the characters change from how they were in their original games. God I love Disgaea 5.

Yeah it's possible it's mutually exclusive with Disgaea 2. Certainly not all of the games are actually in the same continuity since Prinny Can I Really Be The Hero assumes the non-canon ending of the original game. Though I'd be just as inclined to say that the versions of cameo characters you get are also just alternate versions (which excuses why things like Evilities and skills sometimes change between games).

Sicily is kind of needed to fill Flonne's original role of Straight Man, because Flonne's settled in to this whole Netherworld thing to the extent that while she still gives Laharl poo poo for being an rear end in a top hat she's not SURPRISED by things here anymore. I mean think about last update, she was the one who brought up that Etna doesn't do anything that doesn't directly benefit her.

And yeah comparing the anything of Disgaea 5 to anything prior in the series is unfair because Disgaea 5 is just that good. The Disgaea 2 scenario is maybe the best thing in the entire series and the La Pucelle scenario is the closest thing we'll ever get here to the plot we should have gotten in La Pucelle Ragnarok.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Sicily didn't learn how to hack her class yet.

Literally that, remember that poo poo like class title is in fact a thing that exists in-universe that people keep track of because it's actually important. Etna's new title in Disgaea 2 is literally because she went down and had it changed somewhere, and you find out if you've got a title you can't back up when someone comes and kills the poo poo out of you.

For example, Fake Overlord Zenon, who Etna would have easily, easily slain if plot hadn't intervened.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 26, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Factoid about D2: It's the third out of five games released as a Nippon Ichi 20th anniversary, though I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of the others. I know that The Guided Fate Paradox (Which is a Good Game that Feinne should play) was the first, and D2's the third, so what are the others?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Junpei posted:

Factoid about D2: It's the third out of five games released as a Nippon Ichi 20th anniversary, though I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of the others. I know that The Guided Fate Paradox (Which is a Good Game that Feinne should play) was the first, and D2's the third, so what are the others?
According to their website, NIS didn't release anything between Guided Fate and D2, so I don't know what to tell you.

The other things they published that year were the Greatest Hits version of Absence of Detention, Z/X Zekkai no Crusade (which didn't come out in English), Witch and the Hundred Knight, Battle Princess of Arcadias and Criminal Girls Invitation.

It doesn't say there which of those they developed. I know for a fact that Battle Princess wasn't them, and Hundred Knight and Disgaea 3 were, but I'm not sure about the other two.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 27, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

Guided Fate Paradox is in fact a Good Game though it came out at a time when a bunch of other things came out and I shamefully have not finished it.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight was definitely another one from that year, as FractalSandwich noted.

Oh and Battle Princess of the Arcadias, while not as long as I'd like, is a lot of fun if you're into beat-em-up type things.

EDIT: Looks like Battle Princess was and Hundred Knight wasn't.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 28, 2016

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

These five, presumably

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Twenty-Four: The Jungle Book

Today we’ll be getting a bit more idea why the hell we’re in Agul Eviland, but first we’ve got to hit up a map with no plot.

Video- Despairing Silence

Watch

So this is a really cool map, the preview gives you some idea how complicated the actual setup of the panels is. But this time it’s actually in our favor.

So we have three colors of panels and four symbols available. We have a To Blue No Entry, a To Red Enemy Weaken -50%, a To Yellow Ally Boost+50%, and a To Clear No Effect. We’ve also conveniently got a panel of each color right here. So, there are a loving LOAD of enemies here. Right below us we have five Mothmen and three Beast Tamers (the Tamers will Mount on turn one). To the other side we have nine Nekomata and three Shaman. If we don’t make good use of the Symbols we’re going to be swarmed. My suggested setup is No Entry on Red, Ally Boost on Blue, and Enemy Weaken on Yellow. Red’s well set up to generate choke points of Yellow, and we also can set up to face our immediate threat with Ally Boost panels that enemies have to stand on Enemy Weaken panels to access directly.

Once you’re set up, pound the Mothmen and Beast Tamers ASAP so you can pivot everything towards the Nekomata side, their special skills do move your characters and this can make maintaining a choke point tricky. You can reposition symbols if you feel the need, but it’s probably not necessary. If you really want to once things are under control you could Clear all the panels pretty easily, though the means will vary depending on how you started set up.

Now to the next map, where we’ll get an idea who all called Etna out here.

Video- Animal Trail to Hell

Watch

Love that name by the way.

We’ve gone in so deep… Are we lost?
* sigh * Come on our already!
You’re obviously stalking us!
What? Is someone out there somewhere!?
Over there!?

A familiar face arrives.

I said to come alone, but look what we have here.
I was going to, but they all decided to follow me.
So, what were you scheming when you called me out here?
Scheming? I just wanted to show you something.
I thought I told you that in the letter…
What? You mean you were being completely honest in that letter?
What is it that you wanted to show Etna?
It’s just up ahead.
Up ahead? What’s there?
Just follow me.
But be careful. The monsters are stronger and more numerous beyond this point.
W-Wait!

And indeed here are some monsters.

Bit of a nasty map, with a couple of ways to peel this onion.

We’ve got several Dragons and a trio of Alraune as opposition. The Red panels are Enemy Boost +50%, while the Green are Wind Element+50% and DEF -50%. So one of the symbols on the Green is actually at the end of the Red area and Red’s symbol is across from it in the Green. The best solution to the Geo Symbols is to throw someone up to the end of the Red area and kill the Red symbol there, which will actually Clear the map. You’ll want to make sure everyone involved is hardy because they’re going to take some hits from the dragons. The Alraune tend to prefer to cast buffs on their first turns so ideally they’ll never get to do anything of consequence.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Nostalgia.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feinne posted:

The Witch and the Hundred Knight was definitely another one from that year, as FractalSandwich noted.

I remember following along this LP but lost track of it. Just went to look it up and noticed it wasn't archived. Any particular reason why?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Chuu posted:

I remember following along this LP but lost track of it. Just went to look it up and noticed it wasn't archived. Any particular reason why?

Honestly just forgot to request it. It is in fact still on the live forums here though so you're in luck.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just was on youtube, found a trailer for a new NIS game called The Longest Five Minutes. Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPPG-5lItw

Also remembered that Akiba's Beat was a thing that Feinne might be interested in.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Junpei posted:

Just was on youtube, found a trailer for a new NIS game called The Longest Five Minutes. Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPPG-5lItw

Also remembered that Akiba's Beat was a thing that Feinne might be interested in.

Oh hey
It's Bootleg Half Minute hero.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 28, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, so they came out in a different order from the one they were announced in. And one of them came out the year before the anniversary.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

You are actually potentially going to see some weird poo poo because one thing I really want to LP is Demon Gaze, because while I really love dungeon crawler-y type games that's one of the only ones I've legit finished and beaten because it is so good! technically I haven't actually beaten Quasar or whatever the second bonus demon is called because gently caress Dark Aries but still.

This actually reminds that I need to pick Stranger in Sword City back up soon, though I'd actually say Demon Gaze is better overall. Maybe just because I haven't actually gotten far enough into Stranger to really play with the multiclassing (because I'm the kind of crazy who won't switch classes until I've got all the skills from the first).

Oh and we've got family by this weekend, I might not get a chance to record and updates might be slightly delayed.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 28, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feinne posted:

You are actually potentially going to see some weird poo poo because one thing I really want to LP is Demon Gaze, because while I really love dungeon crawler-y type games that's one of the only ones I've legit finished and beaten because it is so good! technically I haven't actually beaten Quasar or whatever the second bonus demon is called because gently caress Dark Aries but still.

This actually reminds that I need to pick Stranger in Sword City back up soon, though I'd actually say Demon Gaze is better overall. Maybe just because I haven't actually gotten far enough into Stranger to really play with the multiclassing (because I'm the kind of crazy who won't switch classes until I've got all the skills from the first).

Oh and we've got family by this weekend, I might not get a chance to record and updates might be slightly delayed.

You might want to take a look at the Etrian Odyssey LP's if you want to do it like them (give the random recruitables personalities and so on).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Boy did I not get along with Stranger of Sword City. Based on the first couple of hours it seemed to be a game for people who think Etrian Odyssey is too elegant and polished and gives you too much information. Definitely not my cup of tea.

I did appreciate that it let me give my characters unnecessarily long names, though. A+ on that one.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 29, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Boy did I not get along with Stranger of Sword City. Based on the first couple of hours it seemed to be a game for people who think Etrian Odyssey is too elegant and polished and gives you too much information. Definitely not my cup of tea.

I did appreciate that it let me give my characters unnecessarily long names, though. A+ on that one.

It's pretty straightforward if you literally finished Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss like me but yeah if it was your first game from the people who made those I could see some stuff being a bit opaque.

Probably a monster discussion tomorrow, if I can't get stuff recorded while family's around I'll also come up with some sort of long rambling monologue on just general Disgaea-ing and strategies for this game in specific and the series in general. Or I'll talk about that time where I unlocked Angels in original Disgaea before the end of NG just for the sake of doing it (don't do that holy poo poo it's painful).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fun fact about Demon Gaze: Putting in the names of Disgaea characters as generic names allows their portrait to be used.

Edit: Never mind, Disgaea portaits are DLC only

Junpei fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 30, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

Fun fact about Demon Gaze: Putting in the names of Disgaea characters as generic names allows their portrait to be used.

Edit: Never mind, Disgaea portaits are DLC only

Yeah I was about to ask if that was in addition to the DLC ones. I know I recall a Prinny portrait and I think Asagi, don't remember who else there was.

Since we're on the topic I do have to note that the Demon theme, Loveless Angels, is one of my favorite boss themes in a thing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feinne posted:

Yeah I was about to ask if that was in addition to the DLC ones. I know I recall a Prinny portrait and I think Asagi, don't remember who else there was.

Since we're on the topic I do have to note that the Demon theme, Loveless Angels, is one of my favorite boss themes in a thing.

There's Etna, Sicily and Flonne ones.

Yeah, Loveless Angels is pretty badass.

Quick question: are you going to LP it similarly to how Etrian Odyssey LP's are done (give the generic recruitables personalities and expand Oz's)?

And which Demon is your favorite visually (both normal and Raged) and mechanically?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

There's Etna, Sicily and Flonne ones.

Yeah, Loveless Angels is pretty badass.

Quick question: are you going to LP it similarly to how Etrian Odyssey LP's are done (give the generic recruitables personalities and expand Oz's)?

And which Demon is your favorite visually (both normal and Raged) and mechanically?

I'd probably do it a lot like EO LPs yeah.

Mars might be my favorite honestly, there's something about a chainsaw dragon-lady that always makes me smile, and I pretty much used her the whole game unless there was a good reason not to for the attack boost. Mechanically I would say Chronos is the most useful. My demon setups were usually either Mars/Chronos/Neptune or Uranus/Chronos/Neptune (the extra hit from Uranus does make things like Rampage and Jupiter Bane even more devastating).

I managed to record just now, so update tomorrow.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Never mind

Junpei fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 31, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Junpei. Stop. Please.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Junpei. Stop. Please.

I actually have Disgaea D2, so I'm free here, and Feinne's a nice guy (or girl) who appreciates me.

And actually sort of find the Raged Demons to be a bit too fanservice-y. I know I look like a horny teen, but I was just joking. Some people on this sit have no sense of humor whatsoever...

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I should be able to update tomorrow as noted, meanwhile let's talk about some monsters.

Dragons and Cats:

We're going to hit the Dragon and Nekomata today, since those are both common in this chapter. Start with the Dragon.

Stats: Dragons have low INT, very low SP and HIT, and extremely low SPD. To make up for this they have slightly increased ATK and DEF and high HP. They're 50% resistant to Wind but -75% weak to Ice.

Evilities: Dragon Evilities are all themed around Wind attacks.

Wind Dominance - All wind element damage will be nullified. Wind attacks can't damage the Dragon at all, even if you use effects to reduce their resistance. This is pretty niche, it's either crucial or useless.

Air Charge - Increase stats by 5% every time a unit on map uses a wind skill. This requires you to plan around it but in principle can provide a very large stat boost. Most of their unique skills are Wind so it's pretty reliably useful.

Wind Depression - Decrease wind element stat of enemy units on map by 15%. This doesn't really require any planning to use, and since again most of their specials are Wind attacks it's a straight -15% resistance to most of what they do.

Skills:

Dragon Hornet: A short range attack that can hit someone in a line from the Dragon. It does low Wind damage.

Way of Dragon: Almost identical to Dragon Hornet, except that it isn't a Wind attack. In exchange it does a bit more damage.

Dragon Lightning: Hits a plus-sign shaped area within a moderate range around the Dragon with low Wind damage. AoEs are always nice.

Evil Dragon Play: Hits a single target at very close range for very heavy Wind damage. It would kind of make Dragons viable if you wanted to use them.

Sky High Dragoon: The Mounted Skill. It's basically Dragon Lightning except it does way more damage, nothing wrong with that.

Now for Nekomata.

Stats: Nekomata have low DEF and very low SP and INT, while having above average HP, ATK, and SPD. They are 50% resistant to Wind but -25% vulnerable to Fire and Ice.

Evilities: Nekomata Evilities are all about getting second attacks.

Enemy on the Brink - After attacking, if target is under 10% HP, attack again. This lets you finish off enemies that are at low health, you probably won't see it go off very often but it does stop really annoying lingering enemies.

Fighting Spirit - After attacking, if target has higher level, 50% chance to attack again. (Will also trigger against targets of equal level.) Probably the best long-term, since of course eventually everything will be 9999 and it'll just be 50% to attack again after attacking.

Cat on the Brink - After attacking, if HP is under 25%, 50% chance to attack again. This is kind of a throwback to the effects that there used to be Weights to activate (Weights being items that reduced your health when you equipped them). I'm not a fan entirely because there AREN'T weights to make it easy to trigger.

Skills:

Cat Dance: Damage a target in melee range and knock them back several squares. It feels a lot like a Fist skill and is useful for the same situations.

Cat Punch Rush: Damages a target in melee range a bit more than Cat Dance without moving them. Boring but workmanlike.

Cat Wave Z: Hits three tiles in a line from the Nekomata for surprisingly high damage for an AoE attack. Gives you a bit of AoE you wouldn't otherwise have.

Hundred Cat Fist: Hits a target within a short range for MASSIVE damage. Legit this skill makes them single target viable it's very, very powerful.

Lovely Paw Fist: The Mounted Skill. Does heavy damage to a target in melee range and I'm pretty sure it pushes them away too. If they've got high affection it can even be as strong as Hundred Cat Fist, which is to say VERY.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I came for exploding penguins. I have not been disappointed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
An honest man in the Netherworld? Will wonders never cease.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Twenty-Five: Nostalgia

Last time we ran into Xenolith, who sent Etna that letter. Today we’ll see what this was all about.

And these names continue to be great.

Video- “Death Scream Chorus”

Watch

It’s just a little further. Don’t get so anxious.
I’m not anxious! Stop dragging me all over the place! Just tell me what you know!
E-Etna…!?
Or else…I’m gonna kill you!

No Etna, you can’t! Please calm down!
Shut up, Flonne!
Now, spill it. Who the hell are you!? What do you know about me!?

Now it’s story time!

Back then, I was always being attacked by demons without a moment’s rest… They all thought I was trying to become the Overlord.
As a result, many demons tried to defeat me in order to prove their loyalty to Overlord Krichevskoy.
What? Are you bragging now?
No, it’s not that.
I also had a baby sister, but she was kidnapped by a demon.
I tried to rescue her right away, but I was too late.
What!? Does that mean…?
My sister had already been rescued by King Krichevskoy.
My old man saved her!? How the hell did he get involved in this!?
I don’t know. I’m sure he just happened to be passing by when he found her.
The demon who was responsible probably couldn’t explain, either. A proud demon would never kidnap a child.
How could a demon who uses such cheap tricks have so much pride…?
It’s good that she was rescued, but since King Krichevskoy probably thought she was an orphan, he took her in.
Took her in…? Why…?
H-Hold on! Are you saying that I’m your little sister!?

This is still a map though, so we are about to get interrupted.

Looks like we better defeat this demon before we continue. Wouldn’t you agree?
I know that! But you better not run away until you’re done telling the rest of your story!

This is a really quite straightforward map. There’s five kinda weak Dragons down at the start with us, two rather stronger ones flanking the map, four Alraune, and a boss Dragon. And he’s a very special boy.

The boss has a second Evility, actually one from the Male Warrior. It makes him stronger for every character we put within two tiles of him. The Alraune are also a bit tricky, because they just hang around him and Defend for the most part. So yeah, enemies can and do abuse Protect too when they’re set up to do so. It’s really annoying and you’ll see it screw me over a bit since I didn’t see it coming. Still, Dragons aren’t really able to engage multiple enemies well enough for him to be a major threat thanks to my own Protecting. Let’s move on to the end of the chapter.

Video- “Chapter 6 Outro”

Watch

Not so fat. Take a look at that.
What…?
This is what I wanted to show you.

There’s nothing there! Are you messing with us?
Does this place seem empty to you, too? Don’t you see anything?
Why would you ask me something so obvious? So, what is this place? Why did you bring me here?
I see…
I used to live here with my sister.
Your sister…!?
I remember now! This is the place from my memories! Thank you, Big Brother!
Etna…! You really are…!?
Did you think I’d say something like that? This is where you lived with your sister? So what?
So what if King Krichevskoy picked me up? That doesn’t mean that I’m your sister. Why should I believe you!?
I see… I’m sorry for all of this.

Etna for her part seems rather irritated by this whole thing.

Well, why didn’t you tell him and try ot get her back?
Like I said, I was always being attacked by demons.
I figured she would be safer with Krichevskoy… It was for her own good.
That’s so not right…
I know it’s not, but the best thing to do isn’t always the right thing to do.
…Do you still think that? That you don’t need to be a part of your sister’s life…?
Yes. If I could just show her where she came from before it’s overrun with Yuie flowers, that would be enough for me…
Is that so? Well, good luck showing this place to your real sister.
Etna…
Sorry for the trouble. Good-bye.
Etna, are you okay with this? You are Xenolith’s real—
Like I said before, I don’t need, nor do I want, an older brother.
Anyway, now that we’re done here, let’s go back to the Overlord’s Castle, okay?
That’s where I’m from. And it’s where I’ve always been from.

Sicily is a bit upset about her stance on this.

Whatever the reason, a family shouldn’t split up.

Because I…
I know how tough that can be…

And there’s the chapter.

Now for the preview.

Don’t kill us off so easily, dood.
One by one, the Prinnies suffer mysterious deaths! To figure out what’s happening, Detective Gal Etna takes the case for free!
For free? Sounds fishy, dood.

So, who dunnit!?
Maybe they’re all working together, dood…

Wh-What!? You’re not even gonna solve it, dood!?

Next Time, Disgaea D2: The Truth About Angels. Things are about to heat up a bit!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Badass BGM on Death Scream Chorus, also holy poo poo Etna's bitchy sarcastic bit (uhh, moreso than usual) :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

RabidWeasel posted:

Badass BGM on Death Scream Chorus, also holy poo poo Etna's bitchy sarcastic bit (uhh, moreso than usual) :allears:

I imagine that Etna's feelings on this are rather complicated.

I don't get the point of the house lights dimming and the spotlights showing up if just anyone can speak up and get their own spotlight.

How can people trigger a support attack... for themself?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 1, 2016

• Locked thread