Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tei posted:

You are right, has always.

Maybe it was this one:
http://foroguineoecuatorian.mforos.com/1385814-subforo-principal/

Cool guys :D

La mujer guineana; una belleza sin parangon, no como las sudamericanas

Those forums always end up talking about the same things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
We can't stop here, this is Basque Country.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Well, territorially France is substantially less federalist than Spain, and in language policy has barely moved beyond actively trying to exterminate minority languages. Catalonia and the Basques have a pretty sweet deal compared to Bretons or Alsatian Germans

Good news for France, most of them been exterminated by now.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Kraps posted:

sorry this is from the beginning of the thread but omg this is my dream come never true. Bring back transcontinental railroads :(:

Looks like ~30 minutes from Boston to Portsmouth NH. :gizz:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've heard the French let the ETA operate freely in France since they primarily used their bases in France as a safe-haven when things got heated and would very seldom actually do any terroristing in France itself as not to risk bringing unneeded attention to their hideouts. The French knew this and did therefore not take any action against the ETA since it wasn't really their problem what they did in Spain and it was best not to rock the boat. That is to say until the Spanish convinced them to help and a lot of ETA members were arrested in France.

I am not a expert, but I think you are 100% correct here. It took the french many years to understood spain was really a democracy and having a democracy serve a host/hideout for terrorist on another democracy is a non-sense. Once they understood that, things changed (relativelly) quickly.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

icantfindaname posted:

~90% of Navarre and Basque Country is Spanish, there's no absolute need for France to give up their slice. And the chance of France doing that is essentially zero, what with France's nationalist territorial integrity obsession

Ohno I meant that Spain will point to France and go "look those guys aren't giving you land so we won't either".

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

Ohno I meant that Spain will point to France and go "look those guys aren't giving you land so we won't either".

Well, it hasn't stopped the Kurds.

Speaking of which here's the regions that make up Kurdistan

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
drat that's a lot of land.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baka-nin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X00djifIj9s

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Didn't Romans sometimes give unrelated and geographically distant tribes the same name because one reminded them of the other?

These are the same people whose historians repeatedly named entirely unrelated foreign pantheons after their own, even if they were monotheistic. Sometimes they wouldn't even be bothered to record what the natives actually called them. I'm looking at you "Scythian Ares".

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 31, 2016

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Baka-nin posted:

Politically loaded because this map doesn't include the Kobane and Efrin cantons.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Also that Kurdish map manages to have ports in the Mediterranean and the Persian Gulf. I know irredentists are obsessed with ports, but jfc.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Schizotek posted:

These are the same people whose historians repeatedly named entirely unrelated foreign pantheons after their own, even if they were monotheistic. Sometimes they wouldn't even be bothered to record what the natives actually called them. I'm looking at you "Scythian Ares".

When they encountered the Jews, the Romans decided they were worshiping the Sky Itself, Caelus (aka Uranus).

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

Nope. Senators were not elected, they were appointed by the Consul for life. The Senate was not a lawmaking body either, it was much closer to the supreme court. It had the power to interpret laws and to veto actions taken by the executive

The actual representative legislative body of the Roman Republic was hilariously complicated, there were originally entirely separate bodies for plebians and patricians, then another one for the military

Actually, senators were appointed by the Censors, who were elected every few years to let state contracts and do a census. You had to have an income of at least 1 million sesterces a year from land you owned (no commercial activities), and be of a good family/personal background (as determined by the Censors). After Sulla's reforms, you could also become a senator by gaining a major military decoration.

The main lawmaking body of the late republic was the Plebeian Assembly, which was whatever plebeians had to be in the Well of the Comitia (think a kind of public ampitheater) when a meeting was called. Laws could be referred to the Plebeian Assembly via a "senatorial consultation", or promulgated directly by Tribunes of the Plebs, who were a group of 10 plebeian men elected on a yearly basis who could propose and veto legislation, amongst other powers. Actually, the power of the tribunes is part of why it was, in many ways, better to be a plebeian nobleman than a patrician one. Plebeian politicians could make a big splash early in their careers by getting elected tribune and getting laws passed. Patrician ones didn't have a chance to really make a splash until they were elected patrician aedile, which meant they had to spend tons of their own money repairing public infrastructure and holding expensive circuses. This need to take on debt to please the voters is also part of why Roman governors were notorious for raping their provinces for every last penny.

Roman governmental systems are like the torturously complex system of centurion ranks. 99% of the time, whatever book is trying to explain things will just say "it was very very complicated."

TheBalor fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 1, 2016

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

platzapS fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 1, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

(you didn't embed it properly :ssh:)

lol at Florida :flaccid:

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Portuguese is the worst romance language.

From a while back, but what in the world is this

It goes Portuguese > Romanian > Catalan > Romansh > Spanish > Italian > French

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Think how easily the Italians could have been in the same situation as the Kurds.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Baka-nin posted:

Some of those areas have a Kurdish population smaller than 1% of the total population. This would probably require a whole lot of ethnic cleansing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

TheBalor posted:

Laws could be referred to the Plebeian Assembly via a "senatorial consultation", or promulgated directly by Tribunes of the Plebs, who were a group of 10 plebeian men elected on a yearly basis who could propose and veto legislation, amongst other powers. Actually, the power of the tribunes is part of why it was, in many ways, better to be a plebeian nobleman than a patrician one. Plebeian politicians could make a big splash early in their careers by getting elected tribune and getting laws passed.

This was also why Sulla instituted the cursus honorum, which stuck, where you had to meet certain milestones of age and lower offices held to stand for a higher office; and the restriction that if you were elected as Tribune of the Plebeians you were barred from running for any office in the cursus honorum ever agan, which didn't stick.

Oh yeah and there was a guy, a patrician, who got adopted by a pleb and renounced his patrician status just so he could run for Tribune of the Plebs.

Imagine if being elected US Senator or Representative disqualified you from running for President. The only way to get national profile would be Governorships or the military.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 1, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Antti posted:

Imagine if being elected US Senator or Representative disqualified you from running for President. The only way to get national profile would be Governorships or the military.
Or being the greatest businessman that ever will be.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Why does Iowa have the second largest font after USA?

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 1, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vorpal Cat posted:

Why does Iowa have the second largest font after USA?

They had to fill in the empty bits with something

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

Think how easily the Italians could have been in the same situation as the Kurds.

no outside nation wants italy, it's full of italians

slavatuvs posted:

Some of those areas have a Kurdish population smaller than 1% of the total population. This would probably require a whole lot of ethnic cleansing.

The southernmost few connecting to the Gulf are pretty fanciful, and only make sense if you count Lurs as Kurds, which they are not. The rest is pretty much accurate though

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 1, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

icantfindaname posted:

no outside nation wants italy, it's full of italians

I'm saying it was strategic territory fought over for over a thousand years, and its people were pawns in a hundred different Great Games, just like Kurdistan, but it has somehow developed a nation-state in the last 150 years, despite all the trends of history. Kurdistan could do the same thing. Needless to say, that map is pretty irredentist as gently caress.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Can't wait for the Kurdish Garibaldi to lay siege to, uh, Mossul? And finally bring the unification of glorious Kurdistan to completion.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Surely no one would want Southern Italy

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

System Metternich posted:

Can't wait for the Kurdish Garibaldi to lay siege to, uh, Mossul? And finally bring the unification of glorious Kurdistan to completion.

Probably more pressing is finding Kurdistan's Napoleon III. The closest Kurdistan has had so far is Bush Jr., which is hardly a promising start.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Kurtofan posted:

Did senators represent constituencies?

No. The tribes were given equal representation (at least nominally) in one of three assemblies, though, the Comitia Tributa, which was used for voting on certain kinds of elections and motions.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Didn't Romans sometimes give unrelated and geographically distant tribes the same name because one reminded them of the other?

Sometimes, yes. More often than not they just give us some Latinized variant of the emic name of a people.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ag Bengip posted:

From a while back, but what in the world is this

It goes Portuguese > Romanian > Catalan > Romansh > Spanish > Italian > French

how did you get it completely backward you weirdo

bet you like german

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would support an independent Kurdistan in principle, but they're going to have to be a bit less ambitious. No ports for them.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Whorelord posted:

how did you get it completely backward you weirdo

bet you like german

No French is at the end.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

I would support an independent Kurdistan in principle, but they're going to have to be a bit less ambitious. No ports for them.
They need space ports to get away from all the crazies in their neighborhood.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Baka-nin posted:

This is just adorable. Really, Dezful? Hatay? What's the source on this?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Golbez posted:

Hatay is less ridiculous than Luristan. The eastern Syria-facing half of Hatay at the very least has a substantial Kurdish population

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 1, 2016

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Golbez posted:

It's based entirely on an early 1700s European map of the Ottoman Empire lazily labeling that whole swath with no Kurds in it "Curdistan." My guess is also that Kurdish hyper-nationalists probably claim the Iranian Lurs ethnic group(and probably Persians, but you can't really say that) as part of their own.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
What would the Kurds even do with that impossibly tiny point on the Gulf coastline

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Or being the greatest businessman that ever will be.

A land developer with a desire to invade Syria? That probably ended well for him.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

HorseRenoir posted:

What would the Kurds even do with that impossibly tiny point on the Gulf coastline

Ports! More ports! WARM WATER PORTS! :byodame:

Instead of ports we should give Kurdistan a teeny strip of land all the way down to Equatorial Africa and give them a space elevator, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

HorseRenoir posted:

Probably the same thing Iraq does with their impossibly tiny point.