Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I wish agents would like, I dunno gently caress with the stack such that if you then fight them you get a bigger deployment zone or more units can vanguard or rude AI peasants show up on your side or something, and not "ha ha you can't move" or "Say goodbye to Karl for eight turns"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Stephen9001 posted:

Imagine if instead of assassinating, you had the option to have a tactical battle with just your agent and the guy you're trying to kill.

Where the heck is this mod? Seriously, instead of diceroll assassinations just give us a chance to have our heroes duke it out with a trash militia to serve as the "general".

RentACop posted:

I wish agents would like, I dunno gently caress with the stack such that if you then fight them you get a bigger deployment zone or more units can vanguard or rude AI peasants show up on your side or something, and not "ha ha you can't move" or "Say goodbye to Karl for eight turns"

Yeah, swap "Assassinate Lord" with a move that brings them late/winded into the next battle. Agents shouldn't stop battles, they should make them more interesting.

E: And try to keep agents in battles as often as possible. I should be able to send my engineer to knock down walls then come back to my stack for the siege, and if I have a captain encouraging/discouraging the local populace they should show up with angry peasants.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 31, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Triskelli posted:

Where the heck is this mod? Seriously, instead of diceroll assassinations just give us a chance to have our heroes duke it out with a trash militia to serve as the "general".

This would loving own hard.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Would it though? There's not a lot of tactics involved in charging a hero unit into something and watching them fight while you maybe hit a potion or something. I don't see how that would be any more fun or interesting than the current system.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

No, sorry I was on an amphetamine rush there and ready to agree with anything.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Yeah it would need a whole different combat system. Otherwise it would just be like banging action figures into each other and whoever has the higher numbers wins.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Stephen9001 posted:

Oh that's obvious. They're behaving like a player who wants to prop up a faction that is an enemy of a faction they don't like, and so give them gold to help out. How does it feel to be on the receiving end of such treatment?

Nice. I did this all the time in a campaign but don't normally expect the computer to do something that tactical. It's an old trick and not exactly requiring brilliance but still... guess I'm just used to less clever tactical games. Now that you mention that it makes me remember my Dwarf run where I conquered the Orc territories and then sat around soaking in the profits and funding proxy wars from the comfort of my silver road couch. Gave Emperor Franzie and Kislev a ton of money. Think I saw a chaos army once, in the distance. The humans killed it while I drank some ale.

edit: now that I ponder it: I do wish there was a faction that could specialize in covert sabotage. Just spend all day wheeling and dealing making the various factions fight each other or certain enemies. Maybe you could use trade and naval power to ferry allies around and influence who you want them to fight. A possible route for High Elves? Never played High Elves with TT as I just liked to stomp them so much. Another wish is some viable way to go pure Gobbo. I want Grom the Paunch to invade Ulthuan and burn those weedy lil towers. I hates elves so bloody much.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 1, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dandywalken posted:

No, sorry I was on an amphetamine rush there and ready to agree with anything.

Where's your backbone, man?

Anyway, the only way using tactical battles would be different from the current system is that it rewards the agent with the most yellow skills than just the one with the most levels.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
so what's a good tech tree / hero build for beastmen?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

I might just do this. Is the mod retroactive? Malagor's about lv.13 right now/

Oh, no its not retroactive, sorry, you'd have to restart for it take full effect.

Also, the creator hasn't updated the mod but it still works.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Bray Shamans want the magic tree for devolve and Savage Dominion and the speed buff. Gorebulls want the plus army wide LD bonus and slug skin. For tech I rush the stuff that gives plus sacking income, make sure you get the weapon bonus to minotaurs the by the time you get them too

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Is there anything better than bringing a bigger artillery train than the Dwarves, blowing up their cannons, and forcing them to trudge across the open ground under a hail of shot? I humbly suggest that there is not. It's because you know they have no cavalry or anything, so they really do just have to suck it up and march into the jaws of hell. :agesilaus:

Mukip fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 1, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Avasculous posted:

Yeah it would need a whole different combat system. Otherwise it would just be like banging action figures into each other and whoever has the higher numbers wins.

Staff of Channeling vampire sniper assassin :laffo:

They're ludicrous enough in actual fights.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Get the growth increase in the top tree first.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kainser posted:

I'll never stop using the no aggressive ai agents mod.

It sucks even harder because it's tons of fun to fight enemy agents on the battlefield but the AI hates using them like that :argh:

In my current VC campaign Balthasar Gelt brought his entire adventuring party with him to protect the claim of Karl the Pretender.

It was actually more effective than one might think, but he still got crushed by Mannfred's deathstack plus a stack of leader buffed cheapo skeletons.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Personally the must have mods I always run are as follows:

Maximum level 60 for Generals: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692703514
I like the character RPG progress a lot, and this makes longer campaigns more enjoyable to me. Doesn't boost exp like crazy or give double points, which I feel just makes stuff a little too easy.

All in one UI: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=705324778
Purely cosmetic that alters UI scheme color to fit the race you currently play.

Less OP Agents: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694959518
Balances agents both for player and AI, I like this one the most out of any agent mods since "no aggressive agents" mod just gives the player such a massive advantage, agents are still very usefull with this mod but gets rid off all the spammed attempts.
Alltho since when patch hit I had this mod off and I've had no issue with agents without it either, will see if I re enable this again or not.

Auto Resolve AI Buff: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=705150739
Since auto resolve doesn't take any difficulty modifiers into account(amongst many other things) this mod helps to fix that a bit, really lets me enjoy the game more by fighting more battles instead of getting into the habit of auto resolving a whole campaign before you
realise it. Stomp fights can still be autoed like normal, but encourages you to fight any big important battles manualy.

Most other mods I have are purely cosmetic and I alternate them depending what faction I play as.

Also a tip to not loose a newly spawned army from assasination while playing as a horde faction: Always recruit/transfer at least 1 unit for them, if they then do get assasinated you don't loose the horde and just need to hire a new lord for gold until the assasinated one comes back from being wounded.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Mukip posted:

Is there anything better than bringing a bigger artillery train than the Dwarves, blowing up their cannons, and forcing them to trudge across the open ground under a hail of shot? I humbly suggest that there is not. It's because you know they have no cavalry or anything, so they really do just have to suck it up and march into the jaws of hell. :agesilaus:

War(hammer) is Hell.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The new gyrobombers are actually worth it. Especially against beastmen. I got ambushed by 3 full of stacks of them and my gyrobomber racked up 300+ kills in approximately 1 minutes. It ruled.

I still got rolled since it was 3 vs 1 and all my artillery died pretty much died instantly

Edit: I'm using a mod that boosts the beastmen's economy so they dont die instantly and it's a little bit much. Archeron and friends are all dead. The Norsca have fled back to not-Scandinavia. But my dwarves have been reenacting Vietnam in the smoking wasteland of the Empire with the Beasts of Chaos, Beastmen, and RedHorn tribe for the last 30 turns.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 1, 2016

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
In my first game since the DLC/patch things are progressing very unusually. I'm playing Greenskins, most human realms have been eradicated by chaos forces before turn 100 without interference from me, i just had to mop them up. When Chaos actually invades later on they aren't hostile to me or the Vampires, in fact they love me for my aggression towards the humies. The chaos vikings that land on western greenskin shores were still hostile tho. What gives? Is this normal behavior now or did i run into a bug?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dongattack posted:

In my first game since the DLC/patch things are progressing very unusually. I'm playing Greenskins, most human realms have been eradicated by chaos forces before turn 100 without interference from me, i just had to mop them up. When Chaos actually invades later on they aren't hostile to me or the Vampires, in fact they love me for my aggression towards the humies. The chaos vikings that land on western greenskin shores were still hostile tho. What gives? Is this normal behavior now or did i run into a bug?

Diplomacy wise it seems quite in line with what I've seen before. Not sure if I've seen human realms wiped by AI Chaos before though.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Omg, I just realized that the icon in my taskbar for this game (I use small icons on my taskbar) is a hammer over some shield or something, not a money pouch. It's like the FedEx thing.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fangz posted:

Diplomacy wise it seems quite in line with what I've seen before. Not sure if I've seen human realms wiped by AI Chaos before though.

So just to confirm it's normal that the main Chaos forces are neutral to Greenskins and Vampires now? Wonder why they put in that change, they were always insta aggressive before and it felt like just the right amount of difficulty. It's kinda absurdly easy this way.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Beastmen certainly make the empire more difficult to hold together. It's not so bad at first, then you're midway through a siege, the enemy reinforces, you break off the siege and then get ambushed during the breakaway by beastmen.

I mean I won, but that siege isn't happening for a few more turns.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So are Helblaster Volley Guns good enough to replace Great Cannons now? I mostly use Cannons to get the enemy AI to advanced towards you, but I figure that a Bright Wizard would work for that.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

toasterwarrior posted:

So are Helblaster Volley Guns good enough to replace Great Cannons now? I mostly use Cannons to get the enemy AI to advanced towards you, but I figure that a Bright Wizard would work for that.

Cannons are a lot more useful against heavily armored, elite, or fast-moving units. A pair of cannons will kill a huge amount of heavy cavalry, shock troops, or other war machines very quickly the volley guns are better at dealing with massed infantry as the accuracy and travel speed of the projectile make it harder to hit fast or low population units

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Cannons are a lot more useful against heavily armored, elite, or fast-moving units. A pair of cannons will kill a huge amount of heavy cavalry, shock troops, or other war machines very quickly the volley guns are better at dealing with massed infantry as the accuracy and travel speed of the projectile make it harder to hit fast or low population units

Alright, I suppose Cannons are still the way to go for a grand battery setup then. It's strange, though: I've always had middling results when it came to killing enemy cavalry with Cannons (both Empire and Dwarf), but I suppose it's because they're better off being massed on the flanks as opposed to the center.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Dongattack posted:

So just to confirm it's normal that the main Chaos forces are neutral to Greenskins and Vampires now? Wonder why they put in that change, they were always insta aggressive before and it felt like just the right amount of difficulty. It's kinda absurdly easy this way.

As both VC and Greenskins I've had Chaos be neutral and even friendly to me before the patch, so don't think this is a new change. I've yet to do a non beastmen campaign after patch so not sure if anything is different.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm trying to play my first campaign as Empire VH I keep getting smashed in by turn ~15 by a marauding doomstack that takes out one of the towns in the starting province and sends my finances into a death spiral while my army is too far away to intervene.

Any tips on what my opening moves should be? Or have I just made a terrible mistake by assuming that Warhammer is like previous TW games in that VH is the real default difficulty.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I'm trying to play my first campaign as Empire VH I keep getting smashed in by turn ~15 by a marauding doomstack that takes out one of the towns in the starting province and sends my finances into a death spiral while my army is too far away to intervene.

Any tips on what my opening moves should be? Or have I just made a terrible mistake by assuming that Warhammer is like previous TW games in that VH is the real default difficulty.

Empire VH is super rough, and it only gets worse (a LOT worse) once Chaos makes its move.

What race is the doomstack, because assuming it's either a Beastman horde/Bretonnian dukedom coming from the south or a Marienburger stack from the northwest, the key is to bunker down and get garrisons up in your border towns ASAP. Not walled garrisons, mind you; you can afford a full stack with Franz for conquering poo poo and a general + 4 units for securing a minor settlement with a garrison pretty handily without having to conquer all of Reikland. If it's Dwarves, mountain Orcs, or other Empire factions declaring war on you, then it's probably best to hold on to Grunberg and Altdorf for the meantime to weather the storm, taking care to ransom prisoners to build up cash and goodwill.

Once you secure Reikland and can afford a full stack + two garrison armies, going for Marienburg remains my favorite move for a lot more cash. Afterwards, I tend to turtle to get money buildings and upgrades running, and getting a gunsmith up for Mortars because they are your first major army upgrade.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 1, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Beastmen Lessons: Summoning a Cygor is cool and fun, but maybe wait a bit if you've got vanguard deployed units manoeuvring for an ambush.

Fun faction, wish I'd realised Marienburg didn't need razing before doing it. I think they own half of brettonia now. You can get absolutely nuts amounts of horde growth, holy poo poo. If Chaos cleans up in the north and Grimgor pulls through I might even get the long campaign victory, half the old world is rubble and chaos-corrupted wastes. Game gave me the achievement for the campaign like 20 turns in and the VH/Legendary cheevo around turn 50, so I can always pretend I guess.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The most important magic change from this patch is the major buff to vortex spells and the fact that an overcast Golden Hounds of Gehenna can bring a unit of swords from 100% to 20% startlingly quick. Try it out in a custom fight, it's nutso.

Amber >>> Celestial > Bright > Light for Empire. Amber is much much better than the others. The manticore is great, the magic missile makes dudes explode and does massive damage, the crow spell does some heavy damage under the right circumstances and doesn't hit your dudes, and the buffs are all pretty alright.

Overall, I'd say that magic is pretty good but should be just a little bit better, and bright wizards should be able to spit out much more damage than they are. Golden Hounds is far and away the best vortex spell, though.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Golden Hounds of Gehenna is good now but Banishment and Chain Lightning are even more beastly in my experience - justifying the fact that they cost more Winds to cast. I haven't had a chance to try the other vortex spells yet - I bet the Burning Head can do some good work now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly the amber wizard does so loving work just by overcasting his default buff. An entire line of men charging with an extra 22% weapon damage is a hell of a thing on its own.

Can't wait to try the other spells.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ammanas posted:

Agents have been awful in every single TW game and should be excluded from future titles.

Agents are loving rad when embedded in armies as actual unique units that provide cool effects on the battlefield.

Agents on the world map are horrible dumb garbage which generally run somewhere between "not annoying enough that it spoils the experience" and "unplayably annoying" with no actual benefit to the play experience, since even if the player can leverage agent map actions well it usually boils down to breaking the game in half in some way that doesn't involve fighting or strategy(necromancer money farms, sabotaging walls, lucksack assassinating army leaders).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo, Amber has a spell that's practically built to counter skirmishers (-speed, - accuracy). I should've picked the crazy wild man instead of burning hair man...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

As I see it, map agents do serve a number of purposes in the game and I don't really resent them.

1. They allow for a somewhat natural way to do scouting for your armies, which is necessary because armies are so expensive and vulnerable.
2. They facilitate moveable bonuses, so they add another layer of strategy for economics. Not just breaking the system, but just interesting decisions like 'do I want to cut building costs by 20% or do I want to have my wizard on the front line?'
3. They create ways to build up exp for agents without involving them in combat, thus avoiding the slow attrition of losing HP in combat. This is essential for stuff like Chaos who don't have easy single-unit replenishment.
4. They add another tool into the toolset for dealing with weak enemy stacks that are trying to run away, or single-lord stacks.

I mean yeah you can remove all of this, but I think I'm not actually convinced that eliminating all of those features unreplaced is that great an idea, for me at least.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 1, 2016

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
The last time I remember enjoying having campaign map agents in a TW game was Medieval 1 where having spies in enemy provinces would alert you to impending attacks and could uncover hidden traits of generals.

Since Rome they've been a boring, sometimes game breaking irritation, with the Merchants in M2 being a particular lowlight.

Battle-map agents in TW:W are fantastic, however.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

The last time I remember enjoying having campaign map agents in a TW game was Medieval 1 where having spies in enemy provinces would alert you to impending attacks and could uncover hidden traits of generals.

Since Rome they've been a boring, sometimes game breaking irritation, with the Merchants in M2 being a particular lowlight.

Battle-map agents in TW:W are fantastic, however.

Note that what changed between Medieval 1 and Rome is the unit movement. I suspect that 90% of people's complaints would disappear if they didn't physically move around on the map.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fangz posted:

Note that what changed between Medieval 1 and Rome is the unit movement. I suspect that 90% of people's complaints would disappear if they didn't physically move around on the map.

I am still a believer in a Risk-style map for agents and fleets, and will compromise on armies moving on the strategic layer like they do in modern TW as long as march stance is removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Yeah being able to embed agents a la Civ would go a long way to making them an interesting part of the game .

• Locked thread