Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Dr Cheeto posted:

Did you dudes ever play de Blob? I loving loved that game. The way the music would get more complex and jaunty as you painted the levels was fantastic.

a prequel to splatoon sounds amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Thinking of ways to decrease the footprint of a handheld while getting all the traditional controls in, which also supposedly should detach. I'm thinking the form factor would have to have the controls fold up onto the screen. Like those cabinets where the doors don't swing open, but slide to the side and then back flush with the now open cabinet.

None of the mock ups have been like this, but you'd close the system by bringing the controller up around it, and it would actually protect the screen better than the ds clamshell because of the bottom being totally flat.

Spitballing more on this, rather than removing the controllers from the handheld system, you remove the handheld CPU from your now folded controller, placing it in the base, which it goes into almost like an old school Famicom cartridge.

Can anyone visualize what I'm talking about and draw it? I'm quite incapable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Thinking of ways to decrease the footprint of a handheld while getting all the traditional controls in, which also supposedly should detach. I'm thinking the form factor would have to have the controls fold up onto the screen. Like those cabinets where the doors don't swing open, but slide to the side and then back flush with the now open cabinet.

None of the mock ups have been like this, but you'd close the system by bringing the controller up around it, and it would actually protect the screen better than the ds clamshell because of the bottom being totally flat.

Spitballing more on this, rather than removing the controllers from the handheld system, you remove the handheld CPU from your now folded controller, placing it in the base, which it goes into almost like an old school Famicom cartridge.

Can anyone visualize what I'm talking about and draw it? I'm quite incapable.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Boten Anna posted:

Nintendo fans know that Nintendo isn't doomed, we just suffer in silence, as far a silence means loudly complaining on the internet while Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo immediately before putting in another order for 20 amiibos and preordering the latest Zelda spinoff.

drat, I must not be a Nintendo Fan then, because I like Nintendo.

But you make some good points about Nintendo making bad decisions constantly. Example:

Boten Anna posted:

Like the harrowing experiences I had moving to the New 3DS

It was a lovely move for them to give you hardware problems, yeah. And:

Boten Anna posted:

when I had mysterious hard drive issues with my Wii U

They really got slammed in most of the major gaming press for their specific abuse of SomethingAwful forums poster Boten Anna. It'll probably show up on a bunch of clickbait "What Were They THINKING!?" lists a decade from now.

Boten Anna posted:

or the fact that NNIDs are tied to hardware and if your 3DS falls in a trash compactor or something you can't just like go buy a new one, log in, and go for it

Honestly this is a pretty crap choice, but I hear Nintendo support will just give you all your old games back if you contact them, although that's certainly no substitute. It seems actually more difficult to do it the way Nintendo has it, but I admit I know nothing about industry standards for storing/using the data.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

if you dock the nx with the mini nes it's power grows but no one knows by how much

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nx stands for nintendo extreme the console will double as a skateboard and come with a digital code for a radical teen translation of the bible

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want to dock with the NX.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

it's almost halloween and still nothing on the NX

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I want to dock with the NX.

You may be in luck, but only if your genitals fit into an HDMI Out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Wii was a bad console because games were constrained by Waggle and not having HDMI made it looks like poo poo on most TVs. Also if you bought a day1 console then you needed to buy Waggle2.0 controller to play games after a certain point in time.

WiiU is a bad console because games are constrained by iPad controller. If every game supported the GCN adaptor I would be fine with it.
uhh the Wii has Munchables and Crystal Bearers so it's Good

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I can't tell which I love more, that they made an entire soundtrack for the cafe, or that they made a cute relaxing remix of the battle theme for the eye demon who shoots blood at its you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just hope i can play all the 3ds games i miss on my nintendo nx

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
There is not a single bad console in Nintendo's history except for the Virtual Boy

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The nice thing about that cafe is that it's going to have great Kirb appeal.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Does the CD-i count as Nintendo's history

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
We don't talk about CD-i

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
CD-i Link for Hyrule Warriors when

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PBS Newshour posted:

i just hope i can play all the 3ds games i miss on my nintendo nx

The ones that use the bottom screen for basically menu stuff could be ported the ones that use it for more than that probably not.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Patter Song posted:

I couldn't imagine Nintendo approving a product that requires you to point a Wiimote at a...maybe 7 inch screen. Gamecube, though, is fully believable...if the NX has analog triggers.
The Wii U GamePad has its own mini-sensor bar, specifically so you can use Wiimotes with the little screen. This works for Wii U games or BC/VC Wii games.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just because you can doesn't mean you should wrt Gamepad Wiimote interaction.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Have you missed Izzy? What about the 90's? Nintendo made another episode of The Play Show just for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFGqWdiJPMo

Seems to be a bi-weekly thing now.

Between this, Nintendo Minute, and Cat Mario Show, they do seem to be trying to keep an actual media presence.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

smell this posted:

It depends how scummy they want to get, but if this thing replaces the 3DS we might not hear anything until after black friday or even Christmas.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

smell this posted:

get spooOOooky with the Nintendo NX, which is the skull of satoru iwata. only one will be published

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

CD-i Link for Hyrule Warriors when

Not until I get Light of Courage Link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6WP5GQ6iFo

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That timeline someone posted earlier makes sense that we get the official announcement in September, before the holiday release season really gets underway...especially if they want to get people pre-ordering this thing before a lot of money already gets spent. Waiting any longer than that seems really foolish though.

I suppose if the NX is delayed they could wait to announce, but all signs appear to be pointing that they will actually hit March 2017.

I just can't imagine their is radio silence much longer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
It's kinda loving bonkers to me that a console is gonna get revealed and released in six months.

It's no Saturn, but hey.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Soul Glo posted:

It's kinda loving bonkers to me that a console is gonna get revealed and released in six months.

It's no Saturn, but hey.

Honestly I rather prefer it this way. Just announce it, lets some hype build a little bit, and then release the drat thing without dragging the process out forever.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I hope the price point is closer to like launch Wii U than it is launch PS4. For all the bitching and worrying I do about money, there's only so much I can really justify spending on a game console.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nintendo cares about making money in japan especially with a handheld so a march release is perfect for that with golden week shortly after. I doubt the price is higher than 250 if they want to hope to grab their handheld customers again within the first year.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

deadly_pudding posted:

I hope the price point is closer to like launch Wii U than it is launch PS4. For all the bitching and worrying I do about money, there's only so much I can really justify spending on a game console.

Nintendo is the only console I'll pay full price at launch for. The games almost always stay full price seemingly forever, so there is no real advantage to buying it late. I'd rather have the console now and enjoy it for a couple years than wait and save $50

PS4 I got a $300 bundle, and then picked up a bunch of 2 year old games for dirt cheap.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Astro7x posted:

Nintendo is the only console I'll pay full price at launch for. The games almost always stay full price seemingly forever, so there is no real advantage to buying it late. I'd rather have the console now and enjoy it for a couple years than wait and save $50

PS4 I got a $300 bundle, and then picked up a bunch of 2 year old games for dirt cheap.

The only benefit is the shiny themed console bundles that eventually come out. There's a tiny, tiny part of me that wishes I had the Wind Waker bundle. Here's hoping to a Breath of the Wild bundle (that I can preorder before it sells out in 5 minutes).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is it confirmed the NX won't be back-wards compatible? I want to play Bayonetta 2 and W101 but if the NX will be compatible I'll wait for it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Renoistic posted:

Is it confirmed the NX won't be back-wards compatible? I want to play Bayonetta 2 and W101 but if the NX will be compatible I'll wait for it.

Nothing is confirmed at all at this point. But reliable looking leaks are claiming that's the case, yes. It won't have a disc drive so they're skipping BC entirely.

That said, if it's more powerful than the Wii U I'd probably expect downloadable BC games at some point.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Warning: Emily Rogers, but Nintendo seems to be on record that this thing is going to be cheaper than most people expect

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/07/31/nx-hardware-round-up-rumors-reports-speculation-quotes/

I kind of assumed as much considering their open lamentation of how expensive they made the Wii U since launch

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kelp Plankton posted:

Nothing is confirmed at all at this point. But reliable looking leaks are claiming that's the case, yes. It won't have a disc drive so they're skipping BC entirely.

That said, if it's more powerful than the Wii U I'd probably expect downloadable BC games at some point.

Being more powerful doesn't really help emulation.

Wait for a Wii U fire sale and go hog wild, imo.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I wouldn't. It would have to be extremely powerful. Nintendo has been picky about the games they emulate. See: SNES ON New 3DS

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

Being more powerful doesn't really help emulation.

Wait for a Wii U fire sale and go hog wild, imo.

Df showed dolphin running great on the nvidia shield

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Boten Anna posted:

I kind of assumed as much considering their open lamentation of how expensive they made the Wii U since launch

Nintendo may end up screwed over by the strong yen and having to release it at a higher price than they want to. We'll see.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Real hurthling! posted:

Df showed dolphin running great on the nvidia shield

Dolphin doesn't emulate Wii U though. And in the DF video the Wii stuff was a crapshoot.

Also the Wii U emulator that is out there already pretty much needs a GTX 970 equivalent to be playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Nintendo may end up screwed over by the strong yen and having to release it at a higher price than they want to. We'll see.

No way in hell they're doing $350 again though. I wouldn't be surprised if they're targeting $150 but might end up at $200 if the yen is strong or something.

I mean if it's cheaper than I expect, I expect $250, so....

• Locked thread