Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Chichevache posted:

The Brazilian government can't afford to pay its employees, including cops and firefighters.

Oh yea, I forgot about that. :( Remind me again, who thought it was a good idea to have the Olympics there? When these kinds of things get decided, do they research the locations at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Karma Monkey posted:

Oh yea, I forgot about that. :( Remind me again, who thought it was a good idea to have the Olympics there? When these kinds of things get decided, do they research the locations at all?

Bribes were handed out, basically. When in doubt, assume someone was paid off.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Are the rest of the Olympic grounds done? The thing is 5 days away. Have they cleaned up their act that much?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BallisticClipboard posted:

Are the rest of the Olympic grounds done? The thing is 5 days away. Have they cleaned up their act that much?

No. It is a mess and the Rio thread expects there to be a few deaths, and that isn't even counting an ISIS attack.

For context, the company that was supposed to handle airport security just admitted they won't fulfill the contract, so the military police had to be mobilized to operate scanners and search people coming into the country. I'm sure the screenings will catch any potential valuablesthreats.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Jesus christ. The Olympics have become an arms race to see which host country can create the most insane experience :stare:

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Chichevache posted:

No. It is a mess and the Rio thread expects there to be a few deaths, and that isn't even counting an ISIS attack.

At this point I'm not sure ISIS could actually cause more deaths at the Olympics than shoddy construction, health risks and gang warfare are likely to do.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

In this clip, a nice man tries to improve a parade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dkD1Mbwx0

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Germansimp posted:

At this point I'm not sure ISIS could actually cause more deaths at the Olympics than shoddy construction, health risks and gang warfare are likely to do.

I keep waiting for ISIS to circulate a video taking responsibility for the Rio Olympics.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

The issue is that most financially stable countries have figured out that the Olympics is a giant waste of time and money, leaving the bidding up to less stable countries who also generally happen to be riddled with hilarious amounts of corruption, which is why you get the shitshows we've seen with Sochi and Rio, and Beijing was real close to being the same except the Chinese government takes international face very seriously. Wondering if Tokyo and Pyeongchang will have good competent Olympics again, or will actually drop their hosting because of Rio.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Germansimp posted:

The ISIS operatives will probably get mugged and beat up on the way to their mission.

Subjunctive posted:

I keep waiting for ISIS to circulate a video taking responsibility for the Rio Olympics.

I wanna see a video of ISIS decrying the inhumane conditions in Rio. "We were gonna gently caress this poo poo up, but looks like someone beat us to it."

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

radiatinglines posted:

I hope all the ladies out there are taking note of these goons' usernames. They're some real nice guys.

Well, I'd be more than happy to show any ladies a good time. I'm very familiar with the female form, if you catch my drift. :wink:

The joke is I'm a woman you dumb gently caress

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Roro posted:

Well, I'd be more than happy to show any ladies a good time. I'm very familiar with the female form, if you catch my drift. :wink:

The joke is I'm a woman you dumb gently caress

No need to get all hysterical here, ma'am

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Wapole Languray posted:

The issue is that most financially stable countries have figured out that the Olympics is a giant waste of time and money, leaving the bidding up to less stable countries who also generally happen to be riddled with hilarious amounts of corruption, which is why you get the shitshows we've seen with Sochi and Rio, and Beijing was real close to being the same except the Chinese government takes international face very seriously. Wondering if Tokyo and Pyeongchang will have good competent Olympics again, or will actually drop their hosting because of Rio.

Chicago was in the bidding to host this year originally, although I'm not sure if that helps or hurts your point.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Fetch the smelling salts, we're gonna need them in a minute!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frabba posted:

Chicago was in the bidding to host this year originally, although I'm not sure if that helps or hurts your point.

I feel like the problem was that Chicago just wasn't corrupt enough for the IOC.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't even imagine what would happen to all the tourists that accidentally went south of 35th street on the red line.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The news would find a way to report shootings/killings per capita based on permanent residents instead of total curret population so local crime would appear to go down. On top of that, tourist populations would bring in a lot of money to local businesspeople.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Gross Dude posted:

Sorry, dude, but ball and chain jokes are overplayed and not funny. Hope you have some other better opinions. :)
I agree and the content of the joke wasn't why I posted it. It was that he was pranked on his wedding day.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Roro posted:

Fetch the smelling salts, we're gonna need them in a minute!

pretty sure hysterics are treated with multiple orgasms

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I also hate Trump with every fiber of my being and I'm a pretty big guy so that's a lot of fibers.

I hate Trump so much I take fiber supplements just so I have more fibers to hate him with.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Karma Monkey posted:

When Rio made their bid the crime rate was plummeting, the Brazilian economy was stabilizing, and it was looking like Brazil was starting to do pretty well. An economy with a nice focus in oil also helped grease a few palms. Then oil poo poo the bed and now it's even worse than when they made their bid 6 years ago or whatever (among other just bad poo poo thats gone down in the last couple years)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jusupov posted:

Oh. Well then I'll have the hysterics as well please.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Jusupov posted:

Well maybe smelling salts get me off, don't judge.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

hey, that's goonslighting

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Roro posted:

Well maybe smelling salts get me off, don't judge.

Those are poppers, and that's perfectly normal.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://i.imgur.com/mTZo5Vp.gifv

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Captain Novolin posted:

When Rio made their bid the crime rate was plummeting, the Brazilian economy was stabilizing, and it was looking like Brazil was starting to do pretty well. An economy with a nice focus in oil also helped grease a few palms. Then oil poo poo the bed and now it's even worse than when they made their bid 6 years ago or whatever (among other just bad poo poo thats gone down in the last couple years)

All the money that should have been spent on preparing for the games went to the IOC as bribes to get the games, and then the economy thing happened, and because it's Brazil, everything was put off until the last minute, when everyone realized that there was no money. So, here we are, on the brink of what will probably be the most entertaining Olympic games ever!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

FuhrerHat posted:

In this clip, a nice man tries to improve a parade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dkD1Mbwx0

I have no idea why this gets funnier each time I see it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Elohssa Gib posted:

I have no idea why this gets funnier each time I see it.

It's the laugh at the start which sets the tone nicely I think, that slightly stupid giggle. :v:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
So how many days in will the Olympics be cancelled? I'm thinking 3 or 4, maybe a stadium will collapse overnight or something.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nexus6 posted:

So how many days in will the Olympics be cancelled? I'm thinking 3 or 4, maybe a stadium will collapse overnight or something.

Blaming the collapse on unexpected extra weight from people actually sitting on the stands, the unpaid rescue squad looted the dying spectators before covering them over with more rubble to muffle out their cries for help.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nothing short of an armed revolution would cause the Olympics to be canceled or moved now.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

radiatinglines posted:

I hope all the ladies out there are taking note of these goons' usernames. They're some real nice guys.

You do realize not all of us in here are guys, right? They do allow women to post on the internet now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Blaming the collapse on unexpected extra weight from people actually sitting on the stands, the unpaid rescue squad looted the dying spectators before covering them over with more rubble to muffle out their cries for help.

Ahahaha oh dear

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You do realize not all of us in here are guys, right? They do allow women to post on the internet now.

thanks obama

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nothing short of an armed revolution would cause the Olympics to be canceled or moved now.

This is not as far off a possibility as you might think

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Good thing your lower back vertebrae are vestigial.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Bip Roberts posted:

Good thing your lower back vertebrae are vestigial.

:ssh: Not really, unless you consider continence and, if you're male, the ability to have an erection to be things you can live without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
poo poo's gonna happen I just don't need Munich 2.0 to happen in my lifetime. :smith: