Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Even then I'm fairly sure you didn't have enough rockets to fire a full 6 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

Can a vindicator get the world burner bonus...? Pretty sure it's template weapons only, a blast is not technically a template :goonsay:
If you read the warlord trait, it says "template or blast weapons".
:goonsay:
I think shred got me like one more wound than I would've gotten otherwise. I wanted Child of Terra. :qq:

DJ Dizzy posted:

Clearly, DA rules are the poo poo.
I didn't even get to use them. :argh:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
You need more knives swords, obviously.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Yes it can. 'Blast Template'

Speaking of blast templates and awful units. Lets talk about whirlwinds. When was the last edition where they weren't total garbage? 2nd?

Like maybe if they all had rocket barrage, but otherwise why would you waste your 0-1 slot.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like how one of the warheads is just flat out better than the other. S5 AP4 or S4 AP5 humm I wonder which one I would always use if I hated myself enough to bring it.

Some of the classic units like Predators and Vidicators are passable. Laser Vindicators are Plasma Predators (RIP) are actually pretty good. I can bring them to a game and they'll actually do something. If I brought a whirlwind squadron Panascope would find a way to squeeze in Horus to punish me for my foolishness.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
S4 AP5 Ignores Cover. It's made to kill xenos but you're right, why would you bring it to a sweaty muscular ubermensch fight? :shrug:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Sometimes people have 2+ cover or reroll able cover saves?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Potentially stupid question here; can I utilize 2 Rites of War in a single army? I'm thinking about running a BA Day of Revelation army, with an IF Allied Detachment using the Orbital Assault RoW; assuming that I have at least 2,000 points in the army, and a model with Master of the Legion in each Detachment, this is legal, right? A lot of the guys in my regular gaming group are balking at it, but the new army book seems to say that it's A-OK.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
You can, unless one of the RoWs specifically forbids you from taking allies.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Some RoW specify that they are primary detachment only, like the EC kakophoni one. Do double check.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Last night I started to convert a Cypher model I had laying around into a Moritat. Mostly just switching the bolt pistol out for a serpenta and taking off the backpack to eventually replace with a jump pack and/or magnetize.

Today I checked the points cost of that model. :stare:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Broken Record Talk posted:

Potentially stupid question here; can I utilize 2 Rites of War in a single army? I'm thinking about running a BA Day of Revelation army, with an IF Allied Detachment using the Orbital Assault RoW; assuming that I have at least 2,000 points in the army, and a model with Master of the Legion in each Detachment, this is legal, right? A lot of the guys in my regular gaming group are balking at it, but the new army book seems to say that it's A-OK.

You can only trigger a ROW if the total points for the detachment are 1000 or more. So in a 2000 points list you'll need to split your force 50-50 among your ally and your primary detachment. If you do that, you can use 2 ROW.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

If I brought a whirlwind squadron Panascope would find a way to squeeze in Horus to punish me for my foolishness.

I'm so good at 30k it's got the rest of you terrified.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Let's do a 30k Christmas challenge. My Scoria vs your Horus. My Falchion vs your Warhound?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Running the numbers on it, Scoria is a brick shithouse, but the auto wounds are the only thing that give Scoria a fighting chance. His regular attacks do basically nothing.

panascope fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 30, 2016

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

You can only trigger a ROW if the total points for the detachment are 1000 or more. So in a 2000 points list you'll need to split your force 50-50 among your ally and your primary detachment. If you do that, you can use 2 ROW.

The new red book doesn't say anything along those lines; it just says the whole army needs to be 2000 points to bring two models with Master of the Legion; it doesn't seem to matter anymore how large the allied detachment has to be.

Of course, if your playgroup disagrees with that, just take a Delegatus in your allied detachment, as they can be taken sub-1000 points.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

I think it's pretty clear that it's 1000 per detachment?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Uh, I disagree.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I read that as saying you're allowed a Master of the Legion per 1,000 points regardless of relative detachment size. So a 2,000 point list could have a praetor in a 1,500 point primary detachment and a second praetor in a 500 point allied detachment or however it works out.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Cross Posting from Oath.

Vroom Vroom. 3 to go.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Sick. Now you need to do more.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Forgeworld finally replaced my order that got stolen off my porch! It just got delivered the other day and I'm stoked to read through my red book and check out all my neat new models. In the meantime I built and painted my Deredeo, and holy crap that took no time at all! Aside from having to reassemble it after my cat knocked it off the bench it was drying on, it went together and painted up really quickly. I'll stick some transfers on and varnish it tonight then post pictures in a day or two.

Yeast posted:

Cross Posting from Oath.

Vroom Vroom. 3 to go.

That jetbike is loving dope. I feel like veiny lightning is one of the few things that can make that model more phallic, but you went ahead and embraced it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SRM posted:

Confirming my worst fears

Damnit, I was expecting an order from the 11th of July and it still hasn't arrived. No tracking, so I'm fearing the worst. :ohdear:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Yeast posted:

Damnit, I was expecting an order from the 11th of July and it still hasn't arrived. No tracking, so I'm fearing the worst. :ohdear:

Email em and see what's up. I have a dire hope my old shipment will turn up somehow, someday, but I doubt it. I just wish I could find the drat kid who stole my poo poo :bahgawd:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Forgeworld finally replaced my order that got stolen off my porch! It just got delivered the other day and I'm stoked to read through my red book and check out all my neat new models. In the meantime I built and painted my Deredeo, and holy crap that took no time at all! Aside from having to reassemble it after my cat knocked it off the bench it was drying on, it went together and painted up really quickly. I'll stick some transfers on and varnish it tonight then post pictures in a day or two.
Awesome, dude. I figured they'd do something about it. Forge World has really great customer service and even though this wasn't their fault I had a feeling they'd come through somehow.

Nice. I'm liking that old school metal Night Lords shoulder pad. I only know what that is because I was working on a Night Lords 40k army at one point. :spergin: Seriously though, that's a nice bike.

I want a bunch of jetbikes because I want to be able to run a Ravenwing army, but I'm holding out until they're plastic. They are just way too expensive in resin. I am almost certain I will give in at some point.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Cross post from the oath thread. This is the leader of my planned cult militia.

Here is the burgeoning hoard. Only about three hundred more models to go.

Here's a group shot.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Should you seal Forgeworld transparent paint like any other candy color?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So yesterday I played in a 30k narrative event with some local players. It was a great time overall with lots of great looking armies though since we ended up being down a man . As a result there was 2v1 in both rounds of event. I was on the Traitor side with my Word Bearers and managed to snap a few photos. This isn't so much a batrep , as me trying to remember what happened with some pretty pictures accompanying:

Game 1

This first game was 1500 points and I was up against a very infantry heavy Iron Hands player. He had a Leviathan in a drop pod and then bascially some Immortals, 1 or 2 tac squads , and Forge Lord with a conversion beamer. I brought a fairly balanced list with 3 vet squads (all with the Marksmen tactic) in Rhino's with a Chaplain and my Warlord sprinkled in 2 of the sqauds, with a Dorito dread and Scorpius as fire support , and finally a 5 man squad of Gal Vorbak as a min death star (aka distraction). The mission was Forlorn Hope , out of one of the black books, as was the funky deployment. Per the Mission rules I ended up being the defender.

Long story short : The Scorpius was MVP. It ended up glancing the Leviathan to death over the first 2 turns. If it had not then Leviathan would've basically caused havoc in my back lines. My Gal Vorbak deep struck on turn 2 and basically distracted the Immortals and in turn 2 made a 10 inch charge. From then on they tied up the Immortals before sweeping them in the last game turn. In the end up I won 7 VP to 0.

Game 2

This game was a 2v1 ; with me and an Emperors Children (who had some amazing paint jobs) player teaming up with our 1500 lists to take on 3000 points of White Scars and Solar Auxila. The mission was Tide of Carnage with Vangaurd Strike Deployment. I don't really remember too much going on for a while until the opposing player Outflanked his bike squads and and Malcador Infernus. Then poo poo hit the fan and it became a slaughter on both sides. We eventually blew up the Infernus but it took alot of our armies down with it in the ensuing explosion. My Gal Vorbak showed up late due to reserve rolls but they ended up Deep striking behind some Solar Auxila and slaughtering them to the man. The game ended in a draw.

P.s The sand bases were Emperors Children Javelins but all players agreed that models probably shouldn't be that close to the board edge for risk of falling of the base.

My favorite of the bunch:

Overall the Campaign day was a win for the Traitors and we'll be getting some strategic bonuses going into the next phase of the Campaign.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OhDearGodNo posted:

Should you seal Forgeworld transparent paint like any other candy color?

yup

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Awesome, thanks.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Jackmack those cultists look great. Can't wait to murder them en masse

Edit: The Word Bearers continue!

I had an old Contemptor from my previous 40k Codex: Marines army - The Raven's Repentance

I tried a Zenithal technique - pre-shade, and then airbrushing on red shade. I then tried to put on golden runes. Didn't go very well unfortunately :(

At the end, I did a bit of white writing on it and liked the effect. I then did some googling of images, and tried again. This time I painted on the red - gave it a better coating, ironically (airbrushing something so thin can look strange), and then I went to work with white writing. All over him.

I might put some chains over his chest in the future, but for now - he's another one of the Last Knights of Colchis.

Pretty pleased... going to have a hell of a lot of runic writing to do when the 40 assault marines get here.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 1, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Sisko posted:

So yesterday I played in a 30k narrative event with some local players. It was a great time overall with lots of great looking armies though since we ended up being down a man . As a result there was 2v1 in both rounds of event. I was on the Traitor side with my Word Bearers and managed to snap a few photos. This isn't so much a batrep , as me trying to remember what happened with some pretty pictures accompanying:

Game 1

This first game was 1500 points and I was up against a very infantry heavy Iron Hands player. He had a Leviathan in a drop pod and then bascially some Immortals, 1 or 2 tac squads , and Forge Lord with a conversion beamer. I brought a fairly balanced list with 3 vet squads (all with the Marksmen tactic) in Rhino's with a Chaplain and my Warlord sprinkled in 2 of the sqauds, with a Dorito dread and Scorpius as fire support , and finally a 5 man squad of Gal Vorbak as a min death star (aka distraction). The mission was Forlorn Hope , out of one of the black books, as was the funky deployment. Per the Mission rules I ended up being the defender.

Long story short : The Scorpius was MVP. It ended up glancing the Leviathan to death over the first 2 turns. If it had not then Leviathan would've basically caused havoc in my back lines. My Gal Vorbak deep struck on turn 2 and basically distracted the Immortals and in turn 2 made a 10 inch charge. From then on they tied up the Immortals before sweeping them in the last game turn. In the end up I won 7 VP to 0.

Game 2

This game was a 2v1 ; with me and an Emperors Children (who had some amazing paint jobs) player teaming up with our 1500 lists to take on 3000 points of White Scars and Solar Auxila. The mission was Tide of Carnage with Vangaurd Strike Deployment. I don't really remember too much going on for a while until the opposing player Outflanked his bike squads and and Malcador Infernus. Then poo poo hit the fan and it became a slaughter on both sides. We eventually blew up the Infernus but it took alot of our armies down with it in the ensuing explosion. My Gal Vorbak showed up late due to reserve rolls but they ended up Deep striking behind some Solar Auxila and slaughtering them to the man. The game ended in a draw.

P.s The sand bases were Emperors Children Javelins but all players agreed that models probably shouldn't be that close to the board edge for risk of falling of the base.

My favorite of the bunch:

Overall the Campaign day was a win for the Traitors and we'll be getting some strategic bonuses going into the next phase of the Campaign.

Not enough love for your batrep. Sisko spent about a year fine tuning and carefully putting together this army. By all accounts you performed really well for your first event. We played a few times with my Iron Hands and while I take no credit, I hope it helped you smash that other hands player into loyalist dust. From the pictures you took, I'd say yours was the best painted army there to boot.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Battle reports with action shots are always cool. Those javelins were going so fast they were a blur!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, I thought I was crazy for doing checker patterns on my models. This rules, but I hope you're not planning on going to this level on every model. :v:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Emperor's Children are cool and good

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

BULBASAUR posted:

Not enough love for your batrep. Sisko spent about a year fine tuning and carefully putting together this army. By all accounts you performed really well for your first event. We played a few times with my Iron Hands and while I take no credit, I hope it helped you smash that other hands player into loyalist dust. From the pictures you took, I'd say yours was the best painted army there to boot.

Thanks for the kind words. Having the event definitely lit a fire under my rear end to finalize my list and paint to it. Your advice on list building and tactics, and my experience playing your Iron Hands Iron Warriors , really helped me in the first game. I also made some flash cards of certain units to help minimize any rules errors. The second game I made some mistakes , chief among them was over investing my units to try and take out the bikes. The event was also great because I got a feel for what my army's strength and weaknesses were. I'm definitely in some need of a mobile anti vehicle threat and to that affect I'm got a pair of Javelins. I also respectfully disagree about having the best painted army. That honor goes to the Emperors Children player , who had a nice crisp purple with some wonderful weathering and gold trim. I'll edit some pictures of the other armies as I only played with about a 3rd of the group.

Edit: These pictures are not mine.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 2, 2016

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

The Sisko posted:

I also made some flash cards of certain units to help minimize any rules errors.

I am very interested in this. What sorts of things would you put on the cards?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

I am very interested in this. What sorts of things would you put on the cards?
The Flashcards were rudimentary for the most part. They consisted of Stats, wargear, weapon profiles , and any special rules that I thought were important to remember or I was not used to using. I used an old Google doc template to format the cards and once I was done I just cut and glued them to the cards.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Guys... GUYS!

Raven Guard or Space Wolves.

I am an indecisive prick :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

No bad guys? Shameful.