Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I'm playing as a Falleen Entrepreneur in my group's current campaign, and relative to the rest of the party, I am rich. My character also doesn't need much in terms of equipment. I could hoard all my cash to buy a deflector shield, but I'd rather buy cool junk that's fun for the group. What are some things that I should try to throw my 7000+ credits at? We've got a fresh silhouette 4 ship to potentially mod up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Vanguard Warden posted:

I'm playing as a Falleen Entrepreneur in my group's current campaign, and relative to the rest of the party, I am rich. My character also doesn't need much in terms of equipment. I could hoard all my cash to buy a deflector shield, but I'd rather buy cool junk that's fun for the group. What are some things that I should try to throw my 7000+ credits at? We've got a fresh silhouette 4 ship to potentially mod up.

How about jet packs for everyone! Or one of those boarding modules for ships so you can be space pirates?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Vanguard Warden posted:

A bacta tank would make you real popular.

Alternately, get a Briefing Auditorium, a Smoke Generator, and an Interior Broadcast Suite. Turn your ship into a mobile concert venue.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Vanguard Warden posted:

Hot tub, antique table and chairs set, the aforementioned jet packs, hot-rodded swoop bikes, shag-pile carpets, holo-arcade cabinet, speeder garage

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Vanguard Warden posted:

Don't even spend it on actual permanent things. Every time you hit a large enough town make a beeline for the cantina and become everyone's friend. Find a way to convert your credits to paper money somehow and just make it rain nonstop. Invent sunglasses. Something like sunglasses probably already exists because it's Star Wars but they also probably have a dumb name and look stupid. Invent proper sunglasses.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Vanguard Warden posted:

Just blow it all on swag. Commission outrageous outfits from a tailor, paint your ship garish colors, etc. Good chance for people to flesh out their characters, coming up with the kind of outrageous luxuries they might like. Encourage the rest of the group to talk about what they think you should spend it on, even if you end up ignoring 'em.

Speaking of spacebux, what d'yall reckon would be a fair market-value for a proton torpedo? A shipboard one, not the mini-torps from the portable launchers.
One of my players has managed to steal some and, while I have already decided on the range of values he'd be able to make in sale, I'd kind of like to be able to sling some actual numbers for the sake of player verisimilitude. Handy detail to have lying around if they need to outfit a ship later, too.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 30, 2016

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Pretty sure they say it's 500 credits somewhere in the vehicle weapon rules?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
pg 242 of AoR core book:

Concussion Missiles are 500
Proton Torpedoes are 750

The old D6 Galaxy Guide 6 had torps for 800

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Huh. Don't know why I overlooked that (I found the reference for the launchers themselves, but not the ordnance), but thanks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Triple digit credits seem like hilariously little for a military grade weapon that can demolish a large building.

Then again, prices in Star Wars never make sense.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Star Wars never make sense.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

5 digits for a freaking interstellar spaceship seems ridiculous, too.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Proton Grenades only cost 60 credits a piece, and sufficiently large pile of those could level everything within extreme range of the blast for 150+ personal scale damage.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The prices for small arms seem fine, but as you scale up things feel a little cheap. It's a bit weird when you think about the fact that in the real world like a single AIM-9 Sidewinder missile costs a half million.

Maybe generations of constant galactic warfare where militaries numbering in the trillions had to be armed and equipped have created a surplus not unlike one of those bazaars in the Sudan where you can trade a hen for a kalishnikov or whatever.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Aren't those completely, definitely, utterly illegal as well? Meaning you can't really get them everywhere.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Otisburg posted:

The prices for small arms seem fine, but as you scale up things feel a little cheap. It's a bit weird when you think about the fact that in the real world like a single AIM-9 Sidewinder missile costs a half million.

Maybe generations of constant galactic warfare where militaries numbering in the trillions had to be armed and equipped have created a surplus not unlike one of those bazaars in the Sudan where you can trade a hen for a kalishnikov or whatever.

I think military-grade hardware is quite a bit less restricted in Star Wars than in real life, with corresponding economies of scale.

Like yeah in the USA we field PMCs and have gun-nut militiamen, and there are plenty of warlords in the developing world, but it's not on the same scale as Star Wars where people touching down on civilized planets in armed starfighters is a normal thing, or where there are mercenary/pirate fleets floating around with bona-fide capital ships.

Also people still probably haven't disarmed from the galaxy-wide war that happened just a generation prior. There's tons of ex-CIS and ex-Republic hardware floating around, but more importantly a lot of the infrastructure that made that hardware is still intact.

Of course, the real justification is that gently-sloping prices make it easier for players/protagonists to whiz around in their rocketships - you want the X-wing/ration-pack cost ratio to be a lot smaller than the F-15/sandwich cost ratio, to achieve requisite levels of pulp - but that's how I'd explain it if somebody asked me in a session or somesuch.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 31, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Iceclaw posted:

Aren't those completely, definitely, utterly illegal as well? Meaning you can't really get them everywhere.

Yeah, they are restricted. So, up to the GM what that really means, but you could make it almost impossible to get unless you know a guy. You could even create a narrative around it. Something like, "Did you ever see the Millennium Falcon using ordinance? HMM?"

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, they are restricted. So, up to the GM what that really means, but you could make it almost impossible to get unless you know a guy. You could even create a narrative around it. Something like, "Did you ever see the Millennium Falcon using ordinance? HMM?"

At the very least the book gives a very hard check in Skullduggery, if I recall correctly. Which is not as arbitrary and more in line with y'know, trying to get your ha,ds on weapons of actual war.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

PupsOfWar posted:

you want the X-wing/ration-pack cost ratio to be a lot smaller than the F-15/sandwich cost ratio, to achieve requisite levels of pulp
The ratio is still a bit too high, though. If you give the PCs enough money to buy even a low-end fighter, they can afford to buy all the personal-scale goodies they could want instead, and they'll give a much better ROI- consider cybernetic arms for +1 agility vs upgrading from a Headhunter to even a Heavy Headhunter.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Talkie Toaster posted:

The ratio is still a bit too high, though. If you give the PCs enough money to buy even a low-end fighter, they can afford to buy all the personal-scale goodies they could want instead, and they'll give a much better ROI- consider cybernetic arms for +1 agility vs upgrading from a Headhunter to even a Heavy Headhunter.

Yeah, I had that issue in the first campaign I ran. Players managed to steal a couple of small ships (which I didn't make hard enough, as they were in an environment where people wouldn't be particularly suspicious) and, after taking a few sessions to line up a buyer, never really had to worry about money thereafter. This was an AoR campaign where they were comfortably settled in with a pretty high-end rebel fleet and thus didn't have to worry about most basic expenses.

Fortunately one of my players managed to solve this problem for me by attempting a certain stupidly reckless ploy which, after some unfortunate rolls, allowed the Empire to locate and rout their cozy fleet.

Anyway, I think the Campaign podcast is a good place to see how you deal with excessive credit-flow in an interesting way, basically by inviting the players to imagine cool uses for their dough, then piling up expenses and responsibilities around those decisions. Want a cool ship? Fine, but you not only have to pay for repairs, you also have to pay for bribes and Underworld favors to keep the Empire from tracking it down. Want an exotic alien pet? Fine, but you have to pay for its weird unanticipated medical expenses. Want cool custom gear? Sure, but you've gotta find somebody who will design and build it without asking too many questions.

Basically money can allow you to apply the same narrative forces as Obligation.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
The problem I have with my players is that despite being space rich, they seem to have no desire to actually spend their money on anything, no matter how often I suggest they do so. Hey, that speeder of yours has broken down an awful lot, maybe you should upgrade it. No? Okay well maybe, as high stakes explorers, you might want to upgrade your firepower or get some protection beyond the clothes you started w- Oh, okay, no to that too huh? But I think that ties in pretty directly to the general underlying issue that is their general passiveness and reliance on me to move the game along rather than take hold of the narrative themselves.

On one hand I was hoping to avoid having to take drastic measures like forcing them into situations they had no control over, on the other hand when I don't they just seem to kind of roll over and let things happen anyway.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, then you can have old friends/business partners coming at them with all kind of propositions of investments that will go horribly wrong.
Or have the Space IRS go after them for massive fraud and tax evasion.
Or have thiefs starting to look at their massive pile of cash with greed.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Judgement posted:

The problem I have with my players is that despite being space rich, they seem to have no desire to actually spend their money on anything, no matter how often I suggest they do so. Hey, that speeder of yours has broken down an awful lot, maybe you should upgrade it. No? Okay well maybe, as high stakes explorers, you might want to upgrade your firepower or get some protection beyond the clothes you started w- Oh, okay, no to that too huh? But I think that ties in pretty directly to the general underlying issue that is their general passiveness and reliance on me to move the game along rather than take hold of the narrative themselves.

On one hand I was hoping to avoid having to take drastic measures like forcing them into situations they had no control over, on the other hand when I don't they just seem to kind of roll over and let things happen anyway.

How long has this group been playing?

Like is it a long-term, chronic problem?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I would just give them a huge charity goal or something. The orphans need new beds, the orphanage needs a new kitchen, the orphans need toys, the orphanage needs a new library. Whatever, something so they feel like they have a purpose.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I guess the idea of a high rarity is suppose to scare the players off from buying lots and lots of explosives/other types of cheap but effective equipment? Like oh man i'll pay 50% extra for these grenades that i'm buying 20 of anyway, is it really worth it?

The answer is yes, especially if you're playing in AoR type situation where really you're making money back between missions anyway because why woulden't the Rebellion pay you? Especially with the duty system and how it handles military ranks, you think you'd have a pay raise with that increase in duty level.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

PupsOfWar posted:

How long has this group been playing?

Like is it a long-term, chronic problem?

A little over a year now. They don't seem to be disinterested in the game as far as I can tell, they just seem to be in the school of thought that it's the GM's job to decide everything about how the story progresses while they just play along with it. So I guess it's just a clash of styles and expectations.

What I'm thinking right now is that once we finish up the current arc I'm just going to have a sort of Q&A session where we can just sit down and talk about this sort of stuff, what their in-character short and long term goals are, what they'd like to see as players, and so on. From there I'll start deciding how to progress, bring in some long lost acquaintances, old debts, things like that. Don't you remember yer ol' Uncle Grifto? He's in a spot of trouble, nothing big ha ha, but hey could you maybe see fit to spare him a couple hundred credits? He's got some big plans in the works, gonna strike it big this time, pay you back DOUBLE, what do you say? Family gotta stick together, right? Oh and if any Imps come calling, well, let's just keep this between us, hey?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

So I've finally been able to wrangle my friends into another FFG SW game, and this time people want to play space wizards.

I'm planning on cribbing an idea I read here first (I think?) and we are looking at doing a post Order 66 campaign with the players as Jedi Knights on the run.

The hurdle I'm running into is figuring out how much experience to give them after creation to get them at a power level that's strong but not gamebreaking. I am well aware of the gear/power creep that comes with time in this system, and I think my players are building more flavorful characters than the min max standard a few of them have.

what do you all suggest?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TheTofuShop posted:

So I've finally been able to wrangle my friends into another FFG SW game, and this time people want to play space wizards.

I'm planning on cribbing an idea I read here first (I think?) and we are looking at doing a post Order 66 campaign with the players as Jedi Knights on the run.

The hurdle I'm running into is figuring out how much experience to give them after creation to get them at a power level that's strong but not gamebreaking. I am well aware of the gear/power creep that comes with time in this system, and I think my players are building more flavorful characters than the min max standard a few of them have.

what do you all suggest?

You don't have to have them build actual full-fledged Jedi Knights to have Force users running from the Empire. Suggest to them a mixture of "auxiliary" Jedi such as the Medical Corps, the AgriCorps, or other members of the Jedi Service Corps, who are less powerful and skilled in the Force than a Prequel-era Jedi would be. Of course a half-trained padawan or two. Perhaps someone could be a representative of a non-Jedi tradition who was in town on a cultural and knowledge exchange program at exactly the wrong time.

There are all sorts of folks who would be on the run from the Purge. Even if they weren't the original targets of Order 66, the Empire would likely want to kill or recruit Force-users still at large in the galaxy.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Judgement posted:

A little over a year now. They don't seem to be disinterested in the game as far as I can tell, they just seem to be in the school of thought that it's the GM's job to decide everything about how the story progresses while they just play along with it. So I guess it's just a clash of styles and expectations.

What I'm thinking right now is that once we finish up the current arc I'm just going to have a sort of Q&A session where we can just sit down and talk about this sort of stuff, what their in-character short and long term goals are, what they'd like to see as players, and so on. From there I'll start deciding how to progress, bring in some long lost acquaintances, old debts, things like that. Don't you remember yer ol' Uncle Grifto? He's in a spot of trouble, nothing big ha ha, but hey could you maybe see fit to spare him a couple hundred credits? He's got some big plans in the works, gonna strike it big this time, pay you back DOUBLE, what do you say? Family gotta stick together, right? Oh and if any Imps come calling, well, let's just keep this between us, hey?

With the campaign I'm starting up now, I'm experimenting with short solo RPG sessions for each player, to act as prologues and introductory character vignettes for each of them before we bring the party together. Basically to encourage the people who don't normally roleplay proactively to do so.

Much shorter and smaller in scope than our regular sessions will be, generally set a few months before the planned start of the campaign.

This gives them each the chance to roleplay without the benefit of group consensus or the pressure of a larger ensemble narrative, to develop (however temporarily) their own supporting cast and to set their own worldview. The group has a wide range of experience-levels, playstyles and expectations, so I thought it would be a good idea for each player to grapple with their own character for a while, to solidify their goals and shore up self-confidence among the less experienced. To give everyone practice in getting out of their own heads.

I'm tentatively pleased with the results.

Maybe you could try interspersing some solo interludes in between your regular group meets? I find that they run much faster and are easier to prep for than a standard ensemble session.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 1, 2016

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I guess the idea of a high rarity is suppose to scare the players off from buying lots and lots of explosives/other types of cheap but effective equipment? Like oh man i'll pay 50% extra for these grenades that i'm buying 20 of anyway, is it really worth it?

The answer is yes, especially if you're playing in AoR type situation where really you're making money back between missions anyway because why woulden't the Rebellion pay you? Especially with the duty system and how it handles military ranks, you think you'd have a pay raise with that increase in duty level.

Or not, y'know. The Rebel Alliance is probably pretty strapped for cash so I don't think its top officiers really get a nice paycheck.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In the US a lower to middle ranked officer pulls in considerably less than the median national salary. And that's in a standing army of a superpower that doesnmn't experience the kind of disruptions and shortfalls you'd expect of an insurrectionist movement.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Don't they get free housing and food and poo poo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bad news about that bachelor officer quarters we were gonna put you up in on Alderaan.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Otisburg posted:

In the US a lower to middle ranked officer pulls in considerably less than the median national salary. And that's in a standing army of a superpower that doesnmn't experience the kind of disruptions and shortfalls you'd expect of an insurrectionist movement.

Dude, an O-3 (Captain except in the Navy) makes at least $62,000 annually before you even take into account the above-mentioned room and board and other benefits, with increase in pay based on time in service.

Median US household income (note - not one person but a whole family) is just over $51,000.

There's a reason enlisted personnel see officers as living the high life.

Although this isn't applicable to a shoestring ragtag Rebellion.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

alg posted:

Don't they get free housing and food and poo poo

According to the Bloodlines novel most troops and junior officers don't get separate quarters. In a lot of Rebel bases they just convert a hanger or other large room and everyone gets cots.

quote:

In the Rebellion, Thane slept in an enormous bunker with a couple hundred other people, the majority of whom seemed to snore.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Whats the deal with Heavy Proton Torpedo's? Oggdude's char generator has them available to put on a ship, but the data is sketchy and I can't find anything else in any of the sources describing them. Limited Ammo quality, or munition cost, etc....?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Servetus posted:

According to the Bloodlines novel most troops and junior officers don't get separate quarters. In a lot of Rebel bases they just convert a hanger or other large room and everyone gets cots.

Yeah, I doubt many ideological insurgencies wind up living in the lap of luxury. You make do with what you can scrounge.

I feel like a lot of Rebellion supply acquisition runs would be indistinguishable from highway robbery, so long as the Empire is the victim. Which is great for an AoR game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Characters with the supply acquisition duty are really just an excuse to do heist movies for every single session.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Quote not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You don't have to have them build actual full-fledged Jedi Knights to have Force users running from the Empire. Suggest to them a mixture of "auxiliary" Jedi such as the Medical Corps, the AgriCorps, or other members of the Jedi Service Corps, who are less powerful and skilled in the Force than a Prequel-era Jedi would be. Of course a half-trained padawan or two. Perhaps someone could be a representative of a non-Jedi tradition who was in town on a cultural and knowledge exchange program at exactly the wrong time.

There are all sorts of folks who would be on the run from the Purge. Even if they weren't the original targets of Order 66, the Empire would likely want to kill or recruit Force-users still at large in the galaxy.

I get you man, but like I said, the players want to play Jedi Knights on the run. Those are all great ideas for what kinds of people can aid them on their way, and in fact I suggested when we were brainstorming the setting that they didn't all have to be Jedi, but that's what they all decided.

I'm not trying to be hostile or anything, I just maybe wasn't clear enough. We are all big Star Wars nerds and they are choosing lightsaber forms and such. Most of my experience GMing with this has either been Rebel/Imperial commandos or EotE drifters, the force users I've had were force sensitives that honed their connection during the campaign. We are breaking into F&D and the Jedi supplements with this campaign.

So, back to the original question, They want to run a combat heavy campaign with Jedi Knights, how much extra experience should I give them after creation?