Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I need time to get over Sleepy Gary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

CelticPredator posted:

Peeps be checkin out my Rickers on the back of my car. They think they're dope.

You need to holler "take a picture it'll last longer" in your Rickvoice at them.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
My Other Vehicle Is Powered By a Tinyverse.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

GORDON posted:

So wearing R&M t-shirts seems to be a thing.

Yeah actually. I've noticed this quite a bit too. people in the industry always recognize it and comment on it. even now though I work at Disney, the executives still notice when I wear Rick and Morty shirts and comment saying they love that show. (the rnm shirts i have are the cast and crew ones though which are different)

Typical fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 30, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GORDON posted:

So wearing R&M t-shirts seems to be a thing. I was on-board with the show early in season 1, and I had some disposable income one month and got a shirt from T-fury, or whatever that t-shirt selling site is that sends me emails every day. I don't even hardly pay attention.

Anyway, I would leave the house with it from time to time... and kindred souls always found me.

I wore it that first year to the Motor City Comicon... back when there were NO R&M cosplayers or t-shirts in the place... I got comments left and right about my cool shirt.

I took it down to Florida and was chilling at some Springs... I got comments.

The pizza delivery chick the other day told me "cool shirt."

R&M is cool and the t-shirts made me cool. I always make sure my wife knows when some young person thinks I am cool. It really turns her on when she realizes how desirable her mate is.

Thank you, this post really makes me want a R&M shirt from T-Fury or whatever now. :homebrew:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

Thank you, this post really makes me want a R&M shirt from T-Fury or whatever now. :homebrew:

I know, I really made it sound glamorous. I kind of have a gift for that.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Did we ever get an explanation for what "I'm Mr. Bulldops" meant?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

GORDON posted:

I can't tell if this is genuine or not.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

I can't tell if this is genuine or not.

Literally have no idea. Well, figuratively.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

GORDON posted:

Literally have no idea. Well, figuratively.

Like everything else improvised on the show it means dick.

Also I didn't mean "I can't tell if you're joking" as in like "that's such a stupid thing to say you have to be joking" it's just that I don't know you at all so I couldn't tell if you were being meta or what.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GORDON posted:

Its when you squanch a squanch.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its when you squanch a squanch.

ewww

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GORDON posted:

Mister..Bulldops??

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

poo poo on the floor

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GORDON posted:

It's probably the key to how Rick's going to get out of prison. You should start a tumblr and start theorizing.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

Like everything else improvised on the show it means dick.

Also I didn't mean "I can't tell if you're joking" as in like "that's such a stupid thing to say you have to be joking" it's just that I don't know you at all so I couldn't tell if you were being meta or what.

Word.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Photography Raptor is still the funniest thing ever because the combination of old fashion photography (a old thing) and a dinosaur (a very very old thing) is very good and very funny.

This has been joke explainer, where I explain why joke is the best joke.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hey! How's it going! This is my butthole ice cream parlor! All kinds of ice cream, and every flavor served out of a butthole!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/poop-dessert-cafe-bar-restaurant-toronto-canada-lien-nguyen-a7151861.html

PBS Newshour posted:

Photography Raptor is still the funniest thing ever because the combination of old fashion photography (a old thing) and a dinosaur (a very very old thing) is very good and very funny.

This has been joke explainer, where I explain why joke is the best joke.

That episode has so many rapid-fire blink-and-you-miss-it jokes. I absolutely die every time at the "Hammurai? What is this, 90s Conan?"

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ok so I'm rewatching the series for the first time after not really paying enough attention to the broader inter-dimensional plot the first time (mainly centered around the dimension switch in Rick Potion #9) and I just want to make sure I'm understanding it properly:

The show starts out in Earth Dimension C-137 and we think this because Rick is known as the Rick from C-137. In Rick Potion #9 they Cronenberg the whole Earth so as a last resort Rick brings Morty and himself to an Earth of a different dimension where that Rick was able to save the world but also dies shortly after along with his Morty. We don't know the name of this new dimension in which "our" Rick and Morty are now based for the rest of the show from then on. However, fans' analyses have found evidence that the dimension the show starts in is not actually C-137, but instead a dimension that our Rick (C-137) fled to, possibly because of all the dimension-hopping and rebel stuff he did during his 20 year estrangement from the family.

Do I have that right?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

El Jeffe posted:

Ok so I'm rewatching the series for the first time after not really paying enough attention to the broader inter-dimensional plot the first time (mainly centered around the dimension switch in Rick Potion #9) and I just want to make sure I'm understanding it properly:

The show starts out in Earth Dimension C-137 and we think this because Rick is known as the Rick from C-137. In Rick Potion #9 they Cronenberg the whole Earth so as a last resort Rick brings Morty and himself to an Earth of a different dimension where that Rick was able to save the world but also dies shortly after along with his Morty. We don't know the name of this new dimension in which "our" Rick and Morty are now based for the rest of the show from then on. However, fans' analyses have found evidence that the dimension the show starts in is not actually C-137, but instead a dimension that our Rick (C-137) fled to, possibly because of all the dimension-hopping and rebel stuff he did during his 20 year estrangement from the family.

Do I have that right?

I just watched the entire series for the first time this week. What an amazing show, each episode is some kind of high concept sci-fi short story (in addition to being hilarious) Anyway, I figure this dimensional stuff is the reason that Rick is basically amoral. Death and pain are meaningless, there are infinite copies of everyone out there in the universe having infinite experiences. Nothing matters one way or the other :shrug:

What I am really trying to puzzle out is Ricks motivations. What is his ultimate goal? He doesn't seem to want to become a god or control the universe in any way. He could become techno-god, or galactic emperor or whatever pretty easily so it must not interest him for some reason? He hangs out with lots of beings that do want to ascend to godhood, but he doesn't seem to have any interest in it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He couldn't do any of that because the Council of Ricks would slap his dick down.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rutibex posted:

What I am really trying to puzzle out is Ricks motivations. What is his ultimate goal?

To get RIGGITY RIGGITY WREEEECKED!

Bird Person goes over this at the end of the first season. When you've realised that all existence is completely meaningless, becoming a raging alcoholic and constant troublemaker is a pretty logical step.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rutibex posted:

I just watched the entire series for the first time this week. What an amazing show, each episode is some kind of high concept sci-fi short storyrigmarole

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Party Boat posted:

To get RIGGITY RIGGITY WREEEECKED!

Bird Person goes over this at the end of the first season. When you've realised that all existence is completely meaningless, becoming a raging alcoholic and constant troublemaker is a pretty logical step.

I honestly hope the witters never explain why Rick is an amoral alcoholic. Right now I just assume it is because he has seen things beyond my comprehension, looked into the abyss and found like looking back at him. I don't think anything a writer could come up with would ever be as satisfying.

I really hope its not something lame like "Rick is sad because he is from another dimension. His real family is dead from his own mistakes, and he hopped over to a new world to live with an alternate family. Every day he sees them reminds him of his own family and how he couldn't save them". It feels like where they are going, but its completely out of character for Rick to look at people 3 dimensionally like that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rutibex posted:

I honestly hope the witters never explain why Rick is an amoral alcoholic. Right now I just assume it is because he has seen things beyond my comprehension, looked into the abyss and found like looking back at him. I don't think anything a writer could come up with would ever be as satisfying.

I really hope its not something lame like "Rick is sad because he is from another dimension. His real family is dead from his own mistakes, and he hopped over to a new world to live with an alternate family. Every day he sees them reminds him of his own family and how he couldn't save them". It feels like where they are going, but its completely out of character for Rick to look at people 3 dimensionally like that.

That wouldn't make much sense after the council of Ricks. Wouldn't they call him on that poo poo? Also he dimension hopped in season 1 and didn't care at all, unlike poor Morty. That fact that the council hasn't mentioned that seems kinda weird really.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Rutibex posted:

Right now I just assume it is because he has seen things beyond my comprehension,

I pretty much landed there, too. We've seen him fail to save his family and move in with doppelgangers within the show, and he doesn't seem to care.

My assumption is that he's internalized intense nihilism due to the belief that existence is arbitrary, there is no God, nothing is "real" due to constant indeterminate flux, the world could end at a moment's notice, and everyone operates in the cold pursuit of self-interest. I'd be a nihilist and probably a hedonist, too, if I was that routinely made aware of how meaningless, ephemeral, and cosmically insignificant my or anyone's existence is.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Xealot posted:

I pretty much landed there, too. We've seen him fail to save his family and move in with doppelgangers within the show, and he doesn't seem to care.

My assumption is that he's internalized intense nihilism due to the belief that existence is arbitrary, there is no God, nothing is "real" due to constant indeterminate flux, the world could end at a moment's notice, and everyone operates in the cold pursuit of self-interest. I'd be a nihilist and probably a hedonist, too, if I was that routinely made aware of how meaningless, ephemeral, and cosmically insignificant my or anyone's existence is.

What is it about every day life that makes you unaware of these facts?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

he dimension hopped in season 1 and didn't care at all, unlike poor Morty.

I re-watched Rick Potion #9 (the first time I was a little distracted, only had it on in the background). It seems to me that Rick didn't care at all because maybe this wasn't the first time he had done it? He didn't care about abandoning his family on that world because his "real" family was already dead. One set of quantum copies is as good as another.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ElCondemn posted:

What is it about every day life that makes you unaware of these facts?

I'm sure we've all entertained these ideas philosophically. But, you know, I haven't seen civilized planets explode for no reason, or seen my family die in other realities, or buried my own corpse.

I'll talk about quantum indeterminacy, but I haven't literally entered some kind of spacetime nexus where branching decision trees for my actions become divergent realities that I perceive. But, you know, Rick has.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I just watched the entire series for the first time this week. What an amazing show, each episode is some kind of high concept sci-fi short story (in addition to being hilarious) Anyway, I figure this dimensional stuff is the reason that Rick is basically amoral. Death and pain are meaningless, there are infinite copies of everyone out there in the universe having infinite experiences. Nothing matters one way or the other :shrug:

What I am really trying to puzzle out is Ricks motivations. What is his ultimate goal? He doesn't seem to want to become a god or control the universe in any way. He could become techno-god, or galactic emperor or whatever pretty easily so it must not interest him for some reason? He hangs out with lots of beings that do want to ascend to godhood, but he doesn't seem to have any interest in it.

So does my understanding match with your understanding of the timeline?

It could be that he still has anti-Federation goals in mind, but I find it more likely that he just doesn't give a gently caress and he's just doing whatever he wants now.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Rutibex posted:

Anyway, I figure this dimensional stuff is the reason that Rick is basically amoral. Death and pain are meaningless, there are infinite copies of everyone out there in the universe having infinite experiences. Nothing matters one way or the other :shrug:

I think you're on the money. Whatever happened in his past, I think the moment he found out about infinite universes he had a moral breakdown. At the same time he's incredibly self-centered and puts himself in the spotlight at every possible moment. I don't think he has an ultimate goal.

He has the biggest ego in the universe but the sheer size of existence itself made every important discovery he ever made entirely pointless. His science days are behind him. His days of trying to make the world(s) a better place are behind him. Him trying to reconnect with his family after everything he's seen and been through says more about what he wants than anything that's happened in the show.

If he wanted to drink himself to death he could do it anywhere in space and time, if he wanted to grab for power and change everyone's lives for the better (if he could do that) he'd have done it. But instead he goes to live with his estranged family because [like was said in Bojack] all you have in life is the connections you make with others.

[/maudlin]

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

El Jeffe posted:

So does my understanding match with your understanding of the timeline?

It could be that he still has anti-Federation goals in mind, but I find it more likely that he just doesn't give a gently caress and he's just doing whatever he wants now.

MrSlam posted:

I think you're on the money. Whatever happened in his past, I think the moment he found out about infinite universes he had a moral breakdown. At the same time he's incredibly self-centered and puts himself in the spotlight at every possible moment. I don't think he has an ultimate goal.

He has the biggest ego in the universe but the sheer size of existence itself made every important discovery he ever made entirely pointless. His science days are behind him. His days of trying to make the world(s) a better place are behind him. Him trying to reconnect with his family after everything he's seen and been through says more about what he wants than anything that's happened in the show.

If he wanted to drink himself to death he could do it anywhere in space and time, if he wanted to grab for power and change everyone's lives for the better (if he could do that) he'd have done it. But instead he goes to live with his estranged family because [like was said in Bojack] all you have in life is the connections you make with others.

[/maudlin]

I just occurred to me, after re-watching Rick Potion #9, Rick fucks up in this episode pretty badly. Like he is down right incompetent, and Rick is never incompetent. Maybe he did the whole thing intentionally, as a sick way to bond with Morty? To have someone else to share the hosed up reality of existence with. :psyduck:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's fine, but I think you people are putting way more thought into it than Harmon and Roiland. I think the best characters build up over time rather than having a background that is completely prewritten.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I just occurred to me, after re-watching Rick Potion #9, Rick fucks up in this episode pretty badly. Like he is down right incompetent, and Rick is never incompetent. Maybe he did the whole thing intentionally, as a sick way to bond with Morty? To have someone else to share the hosed up reality of existence with. :psyduck:

Ehhhh, Rick isn't perfect. He's an alcoholic after all; even the best adjusted alcoholic is gonna gently caress up once in awhile. He was also at least for awhile suicidal. He's not perfect.

And was it really even all that incompetent? He just kinda hand waives away Morty and then as Morty is leaving he thinks "...unless they have the flu..." but then he just kinda ignores it as something that probably won't be a problem.

Rick is smart, he's just also lazy and irresponsible. Those are definitely major traits of Rick.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

starkebn posted:

It's fine, but I think you people are putting way more thought into it than Harmon and Roiland.

Deep down I know you're right. If Roiland ever read that post I made he'd probably fart into a paperbag and mail it to me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Ehhhh, Rick isn't perfect. He's an alcoholic after all; even the best adjusted alcoholic is gonna gently caress up once in awhile. He was also at least for awhile suicidal. He's not perfect.

And was it really even all that incompetent? He just kinda hand waives away Morty and then as Morty is leaving he thinks "...unless they have the flu..." but then he just kinda ignores it as something that probably won't be a problem.

Rick is smart, he's just also lazy and irresponsible. Those are definitely major traits of Rick.

True his first gently caress up is excusable, but his solutions are clearly designed to gently caress up the situation even more. Why would he think mutating people with a bunch of random DNA would solve anything? I'm not Rick and I could have told him that's a stupid idea. Ok fine, maybe he hosed up twice because he wasnt taking things seriously? Thrid time he tries the exact same thing and it makes the situation worse. There is no way his "mix of 20 animals DNA" solution was not deliberately calculated to make Morty feel all was lost, and cool with abandoning the world.

MrSlam posted:

Deep down I know you're right. If Roiland ever read that post I made he'd probably fart into a paperbag and mail it to me.

Yeah yeah, I know hes basically just an alcoholic cynical parody of Doc Brown/Doctor Who. I choose to have my speculative fun anyway!

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The Council of Ricks proves that Ricks have some disposition towards order even in the face of an infinite, uncaring universe. It is just* the Rick the show focuses on who probably said "gently caress it, nothing matters". R&M's world is still one where if the most intelligent person met their's alternate universe version, the result would most likely be an alliance rather than a duel. Even if the alliance is not for the betterment of the multiverse, but for protecting it from mutually assured destruction.

*There are probably more nihilist Ricks out there, which is why they have a whole security force.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
He's the Rickiest Rick, duh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rutibex posted:

True his first gently caress up is excusable, but his solutions are clearly designed to gently caress up the situation even more. Why would he think mutating people with a bunch of random DNA would solve anything? I'm not Rick and I could have told him that's a stupid idea. Ok fine, maybe he hosed up twice because he wasnt taking things seriously? Thrid time he tries the exact same thing and it makes the situation worse. There is no way his "mix of 20 animals DNA" solution was not deliberately calculated to make Morty feel all was lost, and cool with abandoning the world.

Its not random animals DNA, and nothing says its just an equal proportion of a bunch of different animals. For all you know Rick did his best to carefully splice certain sections on purpose from each species, and he was reaaaaaal close to actually fixing everything and just whoopsie overlooked some tiny little thing because biochemistry isn't exactly easy and even though he's a genius he's just one dude. And the 'cure' even kinda works for awhile at first, right? Its like he was close but then oops. So then he tries again, because he was close, but... yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I imagine given enough time Rick could've fixed the Cronenbergs but it seemed more like he couldn't be bothered than him not knowing how.

• Locked thread