Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
playing pokemon is basically tarnishing the platonic ideal of pokemon and im pretty sure only a disgusting nerd would do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

In anticipation of Sun/Moon I bred up and trained a pokemon catchin' Gallade with all the fun stuff like hypnosis, false swipe and mean look. I'm just kind of going from route to route and trying to get everything I missed. Anyways I'm running low on money after buying a ton of ultraballs so I was wondering what the best way to grind for some cash is. Just elite four runs with the amulet coin or is there something better than that?

Also if I'm mostly in it for catching mons is ORAS worth it? It seems like you can get the majority of stuff in X/Y...

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

robot roll call posted:

In anticipation of Sun/Moon I bred up and trained a pokemon catchin' Gallade with all the fun stuff like hypnosis, false swipe and mean look. I'm just kind of going from route to route and trying to get everything I missed. Anyways I'm running low on money after buying a ton of ultraballs so I was wondering what the best way to grind for some cash is. Just elite four runs with the amulet coin or is there something better than that?

Also if I'm mostly in it for catching mons is ORAS worth it? It seems like you can get the majority of stuff in X/Y...

best money maker in X/Y is amulet coin+max money o-power in Le Wow or the battle chateau

don't know about oras

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
That's basically it, also make sure you're using the money O-power and hell if you've got something with payday too, then vOv

e: I literally forgot the battle chateau existed, yeah do that

Chibs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 1, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In XY, the Battle Chateau is probably the best way to get cash. Issue the silver, gold, and black writs, then just run in circles fighting rich assholes. Use an Amulet Coin and the prize money O-Power.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

WrightOfWay posted:

GSC is complete garbage. It's slow as gently caress and has even less variety than RBY did in team composition.

Skarmory+Blissey+Curselax+Umbreon

Zzzz...

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Sometimes the show is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIObw4zv6Oc

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

robot roll call posted:

If you're just catching stuff for Dex completion and don't care about aesthetics, just buy regular Pokeballs. They're a lot cheaper than Ultra Balls, and if you're using a dedicated catching 'mon, you shouldn't have a problem with stuff breaking out of balls anyway.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

quick balls are your best friend if you're trying to catch everything

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

dusk balls are your second best friend

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

robot roll call posted:

oras have a billion legendary pokemon for some reason including previously event exclusive deoxys. they have a bunch of other rare stuff too like rufflet/braviary and glameow/purugly

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Cool, time to load up on quick, dusk and regular ol pokeballs then! Thanks for all the advice.

I might get ORAS, the flying around and crazy postgame stuff looks kind of fun. I'm just worried about burning out before november.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

WrightOfWay posted:

GSC is complete garbage. It's slow as gently caress and has even less variety than RBY did in team composition.

actually, gsc is not particularly more slow than other gens in typical matchups, but stall v stall is far worse than other gens.

and no you're just wrong about team composition, any half decent RBY team has the big 4 and one of about 5-6 leads (zam jynx gar hypno starmie) and then a variable slot which is like 1 of maybe 6 mons (non-lead zam, zap, golem rhydon, lap, cloy/dnite being the big ones and some more esoteric stuff like moltres cuno persian etc). gsc has way more variety really

rbys fun tho bc you dont have to spend all that time making a team, you can kinda whip one up in a few minutes and be fine to play

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Dexie posted:

Skarmory+Blissey+Curselax+Umbreon

Zzzz...

lax is definitely bad for the gsc meta but it was allowed for like 10 years so nobodys changing that now rly. blisseys straight up rare, umbreons relatively uncommon, skarms a staple tho (centralized around lax ofc). lax variation comes in a few different ways tho.. you can do a lot of things w/ it but the entire gen is centered around resttalk curse slam lax ofc. probably my personal favorite is LK 3 atks, boom fblast DE, is a great way to pull checks out of the way early and open up some weirder attackers like espeon (or more standard vaporeon)

interesting usage:
1 | Snorlax | 94 | 97.92% | 51.06%
7 | Skarmory | 34 | 35.42% | 58.82%
16 | Umbreon | 13 | 13.54% | 46.15%
23 | Blissey | 3 | 3.12% | 66.67%

^ so you can see lax is the most standard mon by far, bliss is really only on hard stall i guess bc it has no dmg output sooo.. umbs kinda cool tho even if it underperformed, shaky check to lax w/ charm bc drum variants will still run it over but cool vs the curse sets

tbp fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 1, 2016

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I picked up ORAS to play while I was working abroad and just finished the delta episode. There were a couple of moments at the end of it there that were surprisingly freaky for a children's game.

Apart from catching the new dudes that have appeared, what else is there to do in the end game? I am pondering picking up X or Y for my flight back home but if there is enough to do left in the game to last me for another 12 or so hours I can hold out.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

I picked up ORAS to play while I was working abroad and just finished the delta episode. There were a couple of moments at the end of it there that were surprisingly freaky for a children's game.

Apart from catching the new dudes that have appeared, what else is there to do in the end game? I am pondering picking up X or Y for my flight back home but if there is enough to do left in the game to last me for another 12 or so hours I can hold out.

delta episode was the meat of the post game and the only thing left is catching legends/the battle maison

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

A Magical Lamp posted:

I don't remember him being formed from 5 old men inside the body of a younger man.

I still haven't seen this, how does this work

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
JAPAN

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hope there's a new batch of cool critters revealed today. Some fossil ones or something.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
A machine that adds a primal reversion to each of the current fossil mon. REDEMPTION.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When I play a Nuzlocke, I always play with the caveat that I can use Revives found in the field to bring back fainted Pokemon. That way I can avoid that much RNG bullshit without making it a snoozefest.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I really hope one of the functions of the watch is to register a pokemon for mega evolution without a need for a mega stone (or maybe the watch holds all the stones and you can just evolve 1 eligible pokemon in your party)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I really hope no gym leaders and the main quest is something else

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I hope no more HMs, or at the least not make them use up real move slots.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Without the gym leader quest, the anime would have to somehow justify Ash going to Alola. This might possibly mean that Ash will actually do the impossible and win the Kalos League.

But seriously, I'd like for them to introduce some new human characters. They did mention that they'll be covering one of the other islands this time.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

i hope there are gym leaders and the main quest is the same as always

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bogart posted:

When I play a Nuzlocke, I always play with the caveat that I can use Revives found in the field to bring back fainted Pokemon. That way I can avoid that much RNG bullshit without making it a snoozefest.

I'm sorry but that's cheating, I'm afraid. You're welcome to play that way, but you are cheating.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Bogart posted:

I do the same.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zuzie posted:

Without the gym leader quest, the anime would have to somehow justify Ash going to Alola. This might possibly mean that Ash will actually do the impossible and win the Kalos League.

Spoilers for the anime, but everything is VERY strongly hinting at an Ash victory right now. Even the episode titles are implying that Ash is finally going to win this time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elfgames posted:

I really hope one of the functions of the watch is to register a pokemon for mega evolution without a need for a mega stone (or maybe the watch holds all the stones and you can just evolve 1 eligible pokemon in your party)

This would suck because the last thing Pokemon needs is Mega Zard X with a Life Orb

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

This would suck because the last thing Pokemon needs is Mega Zard X with a Life Orb

well by registering a pokemon for mega evolving the can't use an item,

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

mabels big day posted:

I'm sorry but that's cheating, I'm afraid. You're welcome to play that way, but you are cheating.

I don't think you actually work at Nintendo, mabels big day, and that everyone who says you do is being fooled.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

still working toward my complete living dex. all i have left now is the chikorita line, the froakie line, glameow, and amaura and aurorus. and some event pokemon but w/e on them, ill get them when i can

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Bogart posted:

I don't think you actually work at Nintendo, mabels big day, and that everyone who says you do is being fooled.

nuzlockes do not have anything to do with MBD's high ranking position at Game Freak

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bogart posted:

delete your account

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

McDragon posted:

I hope there's a new batch of cool critters revealed today. Some fossil ones or something.

Starter evos :pray:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I want more news on Mega Evolution and/or Pokémon Fusion

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I want more news on Mega Evolution and/or Pokémon Fusion

and Mega Fusion

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Dexie posted:

Spoilers for the anime, but everything is VERY strongly hinting at an Ash victory right now. Even the episode titles are implying that Ash is finally going to win this time.

There aren't even any non-movie legendaries to surprise wipe him this time

this was a thing also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JpmScfGDtU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Chibs posted:

There aren't even any non-movie legendaries to surprise wipe him this time

this was a thing also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JpmScfGDtU