Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hoooly poo poo that was an episode. The whole season built up to that.

The first half I thought was fantastic, amazing TV, although a little rocky in the middle but came out by the end. Donny was loving hilarious, as was his wife and their awkward relationship. Cassidy and the sheriff was hardcore. Got to see that the one lady who killed the mayor was apparently a closet atheist all along, and then holy poo poo the god fakeout, haha.

Ended the way we all knew was coming, but it played out in a pretty good way.

Tulip in the beginning was real annoying as usual, just giving Jesse hell and nearly shooting Donny's wife over nothing. At least at the end at the diner she was actually smiling and making jokes, need to see more of that side of her character. Her making out with Jesse after he used the word on her and then smacking him real good was perfect.

And the last second teaser had the cowboy SoK pop his face in and blast the angel to show off that he's a badass, and say "Preacher" so there's no doubt where season 2 is going. Road Trip! Major villain!

Ahhh but I just want them to introduce Herr Starr, guess that could happen towards the end of next season?

Jesse had the comic mullet in the flashback to Dallas :allears:

MrAristocrates posted:

Hah, that was a pretty great no-budget way to do that.

I dunno, I can understand not showing the whole city blowing up, showing those vents everywhere was cool. But I'm sad there wasn't any flames at the church; it was just a force explosion. That probably makes sense physics wise since the church was further away, but I really missed the comic vision of the church and everybody burning in hellfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Great Season Finale. Love where they are taking the show and just diverging and doing their own thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AtraMorS posted:

e: I think it'd be cool if Eugene just took over the John Wayne role though.

I could see them doing this, and would be pretty cool.

In a way Eugene's being sent to hell is a wash now since the whole town got blown up anyways, and he was involved in the one girl getting hurt and tried to kill himself, so may have ended up there anyways. But I like the idea that Jesse is going to keep that with him and still try to get him back.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I don't think I've ever seen a show wipe out most of its cast at the end of the first season.

Edit: And jeez they did a good job of getting us attached to some of them first, to boot

Kulkasha fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 1, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This show has steadily ramped up from pretty okay to top tier television in the back half of the season.

E: The TV IV › Preacher: Told you he was a white guy

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 1, 2016

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AtraMorS posted:

I'm just saying, that last half is a really good description of Eugene too. He'd be an effective embodiment of Jesse's conscience. Ugly and hard for Jesse to look at (in more ways than one), but he's usually in the right.
Hurm... I didn't think I would warm up to the idea but, yeah.... I could get behind Eugene instead of John Wayne. I still would rather the Duke but that's me. I also love Westerns.

AtraMorS posted:

loving hell no. The closer I get to Texas, the higher my chance of running into the Ted Cruz.

I did not know t-e-d cruz autocorrects to Zodiac Killer - hah. One of these days I have to visit the town of Rio Lobo. Just like the sound of the name and it was a movie I saw as a kid.

sector_corrector posted:

I hated Transmet. Is it worth it for me to try the Preacher comics, or would it be more of the same?

You already know the difference from Ennis and Ellis BUT I'd say give Preacher a try. Yeah, the humour can be a bit 90s edgy and juvenile but underneath that is a sentimental Irishman and his closeted-romantic love for the American West. He does take Jesse's straight laced Good ol Boy a little too seriously at times and can't avoid taking the piss even if he should; but, there is an earnestness, a heart to that comic that can hit you in the right places. Its different than a good amount of Garth Ennis's later work. There were a few things from his Hellblazer run that carried over to Preacher but not in a bad way. I'd say give it a chance when you got some time and are feeling in the mood.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm gonna miss Odin, but what a final scene for him! :stare:

That was a high quality finale to a show I initially thought was gonna end up being awful, and I cannot wait till the second season.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I think they leaned too hard into most people freaking out and going crazy after being told God is missing. Like yeah, that's a hell of a bombshell and how it all played out with utter darkness sweeping in and the fancy projection of God I'd certainly be convinced what I saw was real. But my reaction to "Heaven and Hell are real, and God is missing" would be to start being super devout and Christian, and I didn't catch anyone coming out of that in full good Christian mode handing out prayerbooks and whatnot.

How it all went down made sense in Preacher-verse, but it just struck me as a little odd. Still, town's been pushed off a narrative cliff, time for the wildest road trip ever and the real meat (RIP Odin) of the comics to start!

My absolute favorite two little moments are the "Annville blew up" story coming up on the tiny T.V. right as Jesse's leaving the diner and the little news story of Tom Cruise's ashes being launched into space, such a fun bookend to the start of the season where we got the little news story about him blowing up because of Genesis.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

counterfeitsaint posted:

This show has steadily ramped up from pretty okay to top tier television in the back half of the season.

E: The TV IV › Preacher: Told you he was a white guy

That was the best and Tulip actually grew on me despite her rocky start. Same could be said of the entire show, really, because I'm looking forward to season 2. I hope it has more of a budget going forward though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great finale but one that proved how useless most of this season was. Could have done all this in four episodes without losing character work really. Sorta sad that the single parent church assistant lady didn't even get a cool death scene. But season 2 should be killer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So do I have this right, that in the Carlos flashback, he ditches them because he's jealous of their happiness, and then in the ensuing firefight/escape we discover both that Tulip was pregnant the whole time and that she miscarried due to the violence?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yep lmao

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Great finale but one that proved how useless most of this season was. Could have done all this in four episodes without losing character work really. Sorta sad that the single parent church assistant lady didn't even get a cool death scene. But season 2 should be killer.
entertaining TV, totally without use.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
This season had one hell of a slow start, but I'm excited for season 2.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HardKase posted:

This season had one hell of a slow start, but I'm excited for season 2.

I think it's best to think of next season as the first, and this one as a prologue/Issue #0.

Also, depending on how far he walked, Carlos might still be alive...barely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, depending on how far he walked, Carlos might still be alive...barely.

I was fully expecting Cass to haul him into the bushes as he walked down the street or something :)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Data Graham posted:

So do I have this right, that in the Carlos flashback, he ditches them because he's jealous of their happiness, and then in the ensuing firefight/escape we discover both that Tulip was pregnant the whole time and that she miscarried due to the violence?

She mentions she can't drink when they're emptying the safety deposit boxes and she told Emily earlier in the season that she "had a kid once."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I'm gonna miss Odin, but what a final scene for him! :stare:

That was a high quality finale to a show I initially thought was gonna end up being awful, and I cannot wait till the second season.

Yeah I'm glad we got to see Odin with the meat puppet, although I almost wish we had more time to explore how hosed up he was.

Onwards to the roadtrip!

NowonSA posted:

I think they leaned too hard into most people freaking out and going crazy after being told God is missing. Like yeah, that's a hell of a bombshell and how it all played out with utter darkness sweeping in and the fancy projection of God I'd certainly be convinced what I saw was real. But my reaction to "Heaven and Hell are real, and God is missing" would be to start being super devout and Christian, and I didn't catch anyone coming out of that in full good Christian mode handing out prayerbooks and whatnot.

How it all went down made sense in Preacher-verse, but it just struck me as a little odd. Still, town's been pushed off a narrative cliff, time for the wildest road trip ever and the real meat (RIP Odin) of the comics to start!

My absolute favorite two little moments are the "Annville blew up" story coming up on the tiny T.V. right as Jesse's leaving the diner and the little news story of Tom Cruise's ashes being launched into space, such a fun bookend to the start of the season where we got the little news story about him blowing up because of Genesis.

I agree completely. Like the one lady killing the mayor, it works in Preacher-world but its not something that a real person would probably do.

The kids killing the bus driver was cute but... really? You hear god is missing and you're suddenly a brave little kid with courage and will to murder? I dunno about that...

Data Graham posted:

I get that Tulip is a very hard-headed badass woman, but who robs a bank while pregnant?! I mean...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 1, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My favorite scene was the kid smiling and taking a selfie while his mother murders his sister.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's a good thing that town only had like a day to exist without God because if it had survived any longer the show would have to stand up and own the statement that "religion is the only reason society doesn't descend into amoral anarchy".

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
This is a small Bible belt town, in which everyone was at Sunday church and got to see their ideal God, to whom most would pray, outed as a clueless actor. Forced to deal with existentialism for the first time (right after getting their faith reinforced and then taken away), the town sinks into despair and epicurean frivolities before being righteously destroyed by a freak accident. Annville was always just Ratwater waiting to reemerge, and it began to before it was mercifully destroyed, with the Saint standing in the ashes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

But that's not what happened. Its not that god doesn't exist or isn't real. If anything; their faith was just confirmed. They just spoke with real loving literal ANGELS in HEAVEN.

Those angels even confirmed that god DOES exist, he's just lost.

To me then saying "welp nothing means anything, lets kill each other" is INSANE. The most reasonable response is actually kinda what Jesse came up with, "Lets find god, if he needs help, lets help him, and if not then lets kick his rear end". That makes sense to me.

Or just being a good person and staying devout and hoping that God finishes his sabbatical soon and returns to his heaven.

"God is real, he was here, but he left" and "there is no God and never was and nothing means anything" are two practically opposite concepts.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah, it's like the worst possible answer to the biggest question of all time. If no one answers, then nothing is lost or gain, Jesse's just a crazy person like everyone thought. If God answers, then okay, I'll devote the rest of my life to being a good Christian.

The people of Annville are finding out that the God that they love and believe in exists, but he's also gone AWOL and his angels are in disarray without him. They've seen a being from a higher plane of existence and he's just as lost as we are.

Zaphod42 posted:

But that's not what happened. Its not that god doesn't exist or isn't real. If anything; their faith was just confirmed. They just spoke with real loving literal ANGELS in HEAVEN.

Those angels even confirmed that god DOES exist, he's just lost.

To me then saying "welp nothing means anything, lets kill each other" is INSANE. The most reasonable response is actually kinda what Jesse came up with, "Lets find god, if he needs help, lets help him, and if not then lets kick his rear end". That makes sense to me.

Or just being a good person and staying devout and hoping that God finishes his sabbatical soon and returns to his heaven.

"God is real, he was here, but he left" and "there is no God and never was and nothing means anything" are two practically opposite concepts.

Well no, not quite. It's a confirmation of SOME of their faith, but it's also a realization that God and Angels are not the picture perfect beings that they were sold as to these people. God is GONE, which means one of two things:

1. He's capable of being lost, which means he's not all powerful; OR
2. He doesn't want to be found, which means he's an rear end in a top hat.

I think that's why it's so disheartening. You're finding out that your God is real and he's also FLAWED in some way. He isn't always with you. And in fact, all those times in your life that you thought he was, you were wrong. For someone who believes whole hog in Christianity, I think that's probably devastating enough to make some bad choices.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

If he is absent and not ruling Heaven, he's not benevolent at all, which in practical terms means that God doesn't give a poo poo about his creation. For God to fit the criteria of being God, he has to be three things:
Omnipotent;
Omniscient;
and Benevolent,
otherwise he is not the God found in the Bible or preached about from the pulpit. The last point is essentially the Problem of Evil, which was stated in the very first question:
"Why would a Benevolent, Omnipotent, Omniscient God allow Evil to exist"
There's a lot of theological debate about this, obviously, but the show takes the reductionist approach and points out that at least one of those conditions is not being met. Since the townsfolk of Annville have no way of knowing or proving whether or not God is Omnipotent or Omniscient, they must question his Benevolence.
Is a God that does not hear your prayers Benevolent? No, he is negligent. The bedrock of your faith is knowing that God is up there and that he has a plan. What happens when you find out that that's not true? I doubt most of Annville has any philosophical or religious experience beyond what the Preacher says every Sunday. Where do you go when your faith is hollowed out? What's the point of being moral in a Godless world? What do you do when you have to look in the mirror without the consolation of faith?
Given time, the people of Annville might have found a replacement for their faith. Or maybe not. Most of Annville's population has been shown to be callous and sinful, relying on excuses to dodge their own hypocrisy and violence.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Does the theory about the Angles go out the window now because only one came back from hell?

Also the music in this episode was great. That Blood Sweat and Tears song "Go Down Gamblin' " when they show up at the church is a jazzy tune.

edit: not sure it counts as a spoiler cuz its in the episode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I dunno, I think that just maybe the idea that there's way more at play here than the mortals know about is pretty obvious, so it seems fair to assume God is just busy doing something important that you don't know about that the angels don't happen to either. Maybe a bit of a shock that angels aren't as perfect as you expected, but angels aren't supposed to be omnipotent anyways.

I mean, I've read the comics enough to know where this is going, I'm just saying from the point of view of the population it could definitely go either way.

This could all be part of god's plan. For all you know, the place where God disappared off to is actually very important and is part of his love for humanity. He could be saving their asses all the while. Angels not knowing about it doesn't necessarily invalidate EVERYTHING like that.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, people were killing themselves because it's "God totally exists, but he loving abandoned us and therefore must not love us unconditionally."

I really enjoyed the series and was an avid reader of the comic. Room enough for both versions. I also hope that the traditional budgetary cuts on a second season doesn't adversely affect the show because they won't be reusing sets and it's now a road trip. I have a feeling they'll stay away from New York despite it being kinda cornerstone a couple of times in the comics.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Does the theory about the Angles go out the window now because only one came back from hell?
It was acute theory, but at the same time somewhat obtuse.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

John Big Booty posted:

It was acute theory, but at the same time somewhat obtuse.

I think you're absolutely right.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Phummus posted:

I think you're absolutely right.

Should we try a different angle? :v:

Also why can't God pick His nose?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beer_Suitcase posted:

At the very least it does seem that the one angel guy is permanently or semi-permanently dead now, like somebody was guessing.

Wonder if that means SoK does already have THE GUNZ after all

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
I was so sad for the guy sitting on his box of comics there.

Anyway I really loved the wierd touches here and there like the seraphim lady walking like a robot, the mayor picking his khaki pants from three different shades of brown or the mascot showing up randomly in the background.

Also the theme was really great in this.

To think I was ready to give up on the show like 4 episodes in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else notice the goofy little love story between the mascots playing out this episode?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Partially. I couldn't make out the dialog from the jail cell. What was going on?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One bit was when Carlos was staggering out into the street all beaten to a pulp, the Chief was in the background skulking off down the sidewalk carrying a bunch of roses :3:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well that played out pretty much like I thought it would. Except better in many little ways.

Loved how all of "God's" answers were just shallow platitudes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And how he laughed like a bro at "Can I get my dick back on?"

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

I did like how Cassidy had his sunglasses on most of this episode. I hope it carries through into the next season.

Was Cassidy's story arc about hanging with the super lame Anne Rice style vampires in the main story or one of the one offs ? I would like to see some of that too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I did like how Cassidy had his sunglasses on most of this episode. I hope it carries through into the next season.

Was Cassidy's story arc about hanging with the super lame Anne Rice style vampires in the main story or one of the one offs ? I would like to see some of that too.

It was a one shot, but the Enfants De Sang were in the main storyline. The one shot was flash back after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Data Graham posted:

And how he laughed like a bro at "Can I get my dick back on?"

He still had the little cooler!

• Locked thread