Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Hah, dredge won the SCG modern Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

Another reason why modern is the best.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Your favorite format is the worst.
Your favorite card is the worst.
Your favorite game is the worst.
Your existence is the worst.
Your race is the worst.
Your method of human extinction is the worst.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Another reason why modern is the best.

The deck is stupidly fun to play as well. Though seeing an opponent drop graveyard hate t0-t2 is rough.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
My method of human extinction is rare redrafting reserve list cards.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Actually legacy is the sweetest format as always

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/scg-legacy-classic-baltimore-2016-07-31#online

Missed being on this list through bad loam dredges in G3 :(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It still makes me laugh they got all the way up through Homelands before figuring out that nobody was playing for ante.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Can I ask a noob question?

If a triggered ability on a creature says 'when enters the battlefield creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn' ( such as Scourge Devil) would that bonus also effect the creature being played ( ie the Scourge Devil itself )

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Serotonin posted:

If a triggered ability on a creature says 'when enters the battlefield creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn' ( such as Scourge Devil) would that bonus also effect the creature being played ( ie the Scourge Devil itself )

Unless it says "other creatures," yes it will.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Serotonin posted:

Yes it will, because for it's trigger to happen it would need to already be on the battlefield, which means that it's effect will work on it as well.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Apparently bant company was 17 of the top 32 decks in baltimore, with 4 copies in the top 8

3 decks in that top 32 didn't play white

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

GeneX posted:

Apparently bant company was 17 of the top 32 decks in baltimore, with 4 copies in the top 8

there was a different deck in another top 8 sooooooo

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Jenx posted:

Yes it will, because for it's trigger to happen it would need to already be on the battlefield, which means that it's effect will work on it as well.

Thanks guys.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

GeneX posted:

Considering 95 out of 125 day two players rolled in with white in their deck, I'm not surprised.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Deathmark would probably be maindeck able in this format, although I'm not sure how much good it would do against CoCo

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

pointsofdata posted:

Deathmark would probably be maindeck able in this format, although I'm not sure how much good it would do against CoCo

Never mind Deathmark, Deathgrip! :getin:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Never mind Deathmark, Deathgrip! :getin:

Just reprint Perish.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Actually legacy is the sweetest format as always

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/scg-legacy-classic-baltimore-2016-07-31#online

Missed being on this list through bad loam dredges in G3 :(

Oh nice #2 is from my old LGS.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It's kinda a shame how well MtG can be solved nowadays. I wasn't playing too heavily in the game before 2000, but I have to imagine there was a bit more diversity in tourny decks in an age before the internet makes top tier decks quickly searchable.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

Congrats on the prize tickets, Dredge.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

EatinCake posted:

It's kinda a shame how well MtG can be solved nowadays. I wasn't playing too heavily in the game before 2000, but I have to imagine there was a bit more diversity in tourny decks in an age before the internet makes top tier decks quickly searchable.

It was just as "solved" but you had to be in the know. Now anyone can go to MTGtop8.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

ThePeavstenator posted:

It was just as "solved" but you had to be in the know. Now anyone can go to MTGtop8.

Baaaack in the day when netdecks was an actual term that had levity ... when nerds would browse thedojo and everyone hated em for it!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Congrats on the prize tickets, Dredge.

I find it funny that SCG Classics are just like going to the boardwalk and playing that stupid game with the change slides for hours now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

One of the guys from Team MetaGameGurus just got hired as a playtester, so maybe they're looking to change that by hiring a bunch of GP and SCG winners? I don't know if they hired anyone else from other parts of the world along with him.

When I heard about this I was at least a little excited to get someone with experience at a high level to playtest magic cards. Then I thought about how that team is going to have their personal insider to new sets and it made me a little sad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

I find it funny that SCG Classics are just like going to the boardwalk and playing that stupid game with the change slides for hours now.

They are a complete waste of time and money.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

FTV Lore spoiler is out http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/vault-lore-2016-08-01

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

En Fuego posted:

Baaaack in the day when netdecks was an actual term that had levity ... when nerds would browse thedojo and everyone hated em for it!

I'm just parroting the answers I've heard to that question. I haven't been playing for that long.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Wow that's awful

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Hahaha wow that's bad reprint value even by recent WotC standards

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Dark Depths and Jitte. I'm sure that's totally going to be worth whatever FTVs tend to cost.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Why should they waste reprint equity on FTV when people will stumble over themselves to throw money at the premium lottery ticket experience that is the Masters series of booster packs?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

FTV: Closest Analogues to the Reserved List Cards we Wanted to Print

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought they'd hired tournament players in the past? It's just that means they're not allowed to compete anymore.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I mean, hell, at least reprint Demonic Tutor for people with cubes and EDH since it's one of the few remaining powerful cards from early Magic not on the reserve list.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
That is a terrible group of cards for a FTV.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I kinda want it because of my Glissa commander deck. But hell if I'm going to pay a hefty premium for it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Looking at that list, I couldn't tell you what the theme of this FTV is had I not known it already. That list is so random.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

whydirt posted:

I mean, hell, at least reprint Demonic Tutor for people with cubes and EDH since it's one of the few remaining powerful cards from early Magic not on the reserve list.

um excuse me alpha cards have no story

---

lists for duel decks: nissa vs ob nix are also out
New art:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Glissa in particular seems really weird given that she was a prerelease promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
None of this stops bant coco so why bother?

• Locked thread