Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Ah, I see now. If you can afford it I think you have to pick them all up, at those prices you'll make a killing flipping them on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You need to link that.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

KillHour posted:

You need to link that.

€510 Point of View GTX 480
€227 Club 3D 6870
€255 Asus 5870

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Wish I could convince somebody to buy my HD 6970 for its MSRP, could do a nice upgrade:v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Haquer posted:

Wish I could convince somebody to buy my HD 6970 for its MSRP, could do a nice upgrade:v:
I have one of those sitting in a bin at home - are they worth even a fraction of MSRP? I know they were the Bitcoin card for awhile but that's obviously gotten out of hand.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

While looking for RX 480's (at a not insane price) i found a store that still has 8 geforce GTX 480 in stock @ €510 each. Should i jump on this deal?

I know we get ripped off in Europe but they're pushing it, you can get a 1070 for that price

Seriously who is going to buy that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Finally got around to installing my Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV on my 1080 to replace the ref blower.

Ran the dx12 3dmark test a few times and it never bumped above 58 and was still ultra quiet. I'm impressed.

That's awesome. Can the accelero fans be controlled by the card without an adaptor for the fan plugs?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

wipeout posted:

That's awesome. Can the accelero fans be controlled by the card without an adaptor for the fan plugs?

I just plugged the fan power into the board and set a custom fan curve and it seems like everything is running as expected? I can definitely manually adjust the fan speed, as well.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just got a 1070 Founders Edition because I was drunk and impulsive at Best Buy.

Its weird how I managed to convince myself that my GTX 760 was doing OK when it couldn't handle Doom at reasonable resolutions.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Would you gentle goons say that it is worth having a 1080 card if you don't buy one of those big deal $740 IPS monitors? I would like to think that I'll get on the VR train once they start making actual games for the things, but right now I'm just a goon with moderate colorblindness who is bad with his money.

If I go with a 1070 I'll probably end up saving something like 800 dollars all told (and still be able to play the games I like, namely overwatch and total war: Warhammer), since both a dell monitor and that card are half as expensive as an IPS and 1080. I can afford either option, though, which is where my conundrum comes from.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The 1070 can run Overwatch at 144fps at 1440p, so maybe get that and the good monitor

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Would you gentle goons say that it is worth having a 1080 card if you don't buy one of those big deal $740 IPS monitors? I would like to think that I'll get on the VR train once they start making actual games for the things, but right now I'm just a goon with moderate colorblindness who is bad with his money.

If I go with a 1070 I'll probably end up saving something like 800 dollars all told (and still be able to play the games I like, namely overwatch and total war: Warhammer), since both a dell monitor and that card are half as expensive as an IPS and 1080. I can afford either option, though, which is where my conundrum comes from.

Get the good monitor and a 1070, the 1070 will be plenty for 2560x1440 and VR too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The 1070 can run Overwatch at 144fps at 1440p, so maybe get that and the good monitor

With what setup and graphical settings?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just found out that you can lease enthusiast GPUs. It seems about as good an idea as renting rims. You are locked into a 12 month contract and you still pay the same monthly rate even when the value of the card inevitably suffers many price cuts. You can make a 13th payment at the end to buy the card.

They are basically selling you the card well above retail on a payment plan.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Laranzu posted:

Just got a 1070 Founders Edition because I was drunk and impulsive at Best Buy.

Its weird how I managed to convince myself that my GTX 760 was doing OK when it couldn't handle Doom at reasonable resolutions.

I also upgraded from a 760 to a 1070, new computer should be arriving today or tomorrow. The 760's not completely obsolete yet, I can still run Witcher 3 on medium settings, but it's definitely not cutting-edge anymore.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fauxtool posted:

I just found out that you can lease enthusiast GPUs. It seems about as good an idea as renting rims. You are locked into a 12 month contract and you still pay the same monthly rate even when the value of the card inevitably suffers many price cuts. You can make a 13th payment at the end to buy the card.

You're correct that leasing a GPU is idiotic, but lol what price cuts?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah I wish price cuts were inevitable after just a year. Maybe if gouging less counts as a price cut.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Fauxtool posted:

Welcome to Rent-a-Center

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
<3 David Kanters' analysis:

http://www.realworldtech.com/tile-based-rasterization-nvidia-gpus/

Might be a strong participant in Maxwell's gain in energy efficiency.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I'm about to sell my MSI Gaming GTX 960 2gb to a colleagues son. I'm not sure the kids PSU has an 8-pin, would using a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter deliver enough power? I think there was a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter in the box when I bought it.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Welcome to Rent-a-Center

In case someone isn't from the US and isn't familiar with Rent-A-Center, and I'm not sure if other countries have predatory businesses like this, they're stores that allow you to rent-to-own furniture, appliances, or electronics. A $400 Playstation 4 is only 52 payments of $29.99 a week for a grand total of $1559.48 in my area. A $700 (at bestbuy and amazom) LG 4K TV is only 104 payments of $29.99 a week for a total of $3118.96.

It's legal because it's all in writing and it's your fault if you didn't read the terms. Because, sir/ma'am, it's only $30 a week. $30 a week so you can have this new TV in your house.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Trump posted:

I'm about to sell my MSI Gaming GTX 960 2gb to a colleagues son. I'm not sure the kids PSU has an 8-pin, would using a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter deliver enough power? I think there was a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter in the box when I bought it.

IIRC 6 and 8 pin deliver the same power, right? Just 8 pin has 2 grounds.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

IIRC 6 and 8 pin deliver the same power, right? Just 8 pin has 2 grounds.

One is 75w and the other is 150w. I'm just wondering if they used the 8-pin out of convenience but only really need the 75w of the 6-pin.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

averox posted:

In case someone isn't from the US and isn't familiar with Rent-A-Center, and I'm not sure if other countries have predatory businesses like this, they're stores that allow you to rent-to-own furniture, appliances, or electronics. A $400 Playstation 4 is only 52 payments of $29.99 a week for a grand total of $1559.48 in my area. A $700 (at bestbuy and amazom) LG 4K TV is only 104 payments of $29.99 a week for a total of $3118.96.

It's legal because it's all in writing and it's your fault if you didn't read the terms. Because, sir/ma'am, it's only $30 a week. $30 a week so you can have this new TV in your house.

So the catch is you can't return it until after a fixed period of time? This all sounds like an insanely bad deal and I can't imagine who would go for it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PerrineClostermann posted:

I get 80 to 90 fps at 1440p with all ultra settings, or whatever the max is called I think its something different for that game, and 1.5x resolution scaling. I imagine if the scaling was off you could approach 1440p edit: 144hz with max graphical settings

Phlegmish posted:

So the catch is you can't return it until after a fixed period of time? This all sounds like an insanely bad deal and I can't imagine who would go for it.

Its not a place for people who make sound financial decisions. Although you can return things (I'm sure there is more cost involved ) and truly rent items, but the core business is to essentially scam people.

They tell you though, it's not an actual scam, its just ... A psychological scam.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 1, 2016

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

averox posted:

We have the same setup in the UK, with stores like Brighthouse. They basically prey on poor people who can't afford £1500 for a tv in one go, but can just about scrape together the £30 a week or whatever. For example, a £1.5k 55" LG tv (a touch overpriced but not crazy) with delivery, installation and service plan (total ~£2k) is just 156 payments of £26. £4k!

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Its not a place for people who make sound financial decisions. Although you can return things (I'm sure there is more cost involved ) and truly rent items, but the core business is to essentially scam people.

They tell you though, it's not an actual scam, its just ... A psychological scam.

Having never used them myself I do believe you can actually return things as mentioned here. I would assume there are additional fees involved as well. As far as rent-to-own you can stop payments at any time if you're strapped. They come and take their poo poo back until you can pay up again. I would bet that the pick-up and delivery aren't free in that situation.

Lungboy posted:

We have the same setup in the UK, with stores like Brighthouse. They basically prey on poor people who can't afford £1500 for a tv in one go, but can just about scrape together the £30 a week or whatever. For example, a £1.5k 55" LG tv (a touch overpriced but not crazy) with delivery, installation and service plan (total ~£2k) is just 156 payments of £26. £4k!

I thought you guys were supposed to product your consumers :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Poor people with really bad financial literacy.

A majority of Americans fail a simple financial literacy test that ask really simple things like "which is more $200 with 5% interest over 5 years or $100 with 50% interest over 5 years"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PerrineClostermann posted:

Well I haven't done it myself, but I'm planning for a 1070 myself so I ran across that Overwatch benchmark. It was actually 135 min / 142 avg on Ultra, so you could probably lock in 144 with some tweaking or overclocking? They were using a 6600K w/ DDR4-3000 as well.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1182-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/page2.html

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm an idiot and I can't tell whether this is a blower cooler or not. On blower coolers, the fan looks more like a tumble dryer right?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah. That's just a normal fan.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

averox posted:

I thought you guys were supposed to product your consumers :smith:

Sorry, but where capitalism is present, there's money to be made! loving over poor people is profitable, pretty much always.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's a normal fan with a shround on top. The shroud helps keep the air moving and properly cooling the entire heatsink and you can see the vents where the air can exit.

http://i.imgur.com/eO6RE82.jpg
This here is a cross blower fan. Does the fan look like this? It's a cross blower.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I get 80 to 90 fps at 1440p with all ultra settings, or whatever the max is called I think its something different for that game, and 1.5x resolution scaling. I imagine if the scaling was off you could approach 1440p with max graphical settings

What CPU are ya on? I'm on a GTX1080, 1440p, and 100hz monitor and I've had to dial scaling back to 100%, and Dynamic Reflections/Refraction Quality/AA to high from ultra to avoid obnoxious framerate dips. I'm on a 2500k @ 4.3 and with a couple sticks dying and dropping me down to 8 gigs of RAM I'm really thinking about dumping the setup for Skylake. I'm gettin' super spoiled with higher refresh rates and the dips to ~60 are getting almost as noticeable as when I'd drop to ~40 at 60hz (especially in VR :barf:).

I just loaded it up real quick wondering how they got those 170+ framerates in that chart just posted since afaik there's no built in benchmark so I hopped into practice range where I'd expect it to be much lighter than an actual game, and got much lower numbers. Huh. CPU definitely running at 4.3, GPU definitely clocked up (usage was at 99% until the alt tab to screenshot). Fullscreen vs. borderless didn't make a difference. Avg 125 or so just looking out at the map, and I had to go in a corner and look down to hit 160.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

teh_Broseph posted:

What CPU are ya on? I'm on a GTX1080, 1440p, and 100hz monitor and I've had to dial scaling back to 100%, and Dynamic Reflections/Refraction Quality/AA to high from ultra to avoid obnoxious framerate dips. I'm on a 2500k @ 4.3 and with a couple sticks dying and dropping me down to 8 gigs of RAM I'm really thinking about dumping the setup for Skylake. I'm gettin' super spoiled with higher refresh rates and the dips to ~60 are getting almost as noticeable as when I'd drop to ~40 at 60hz (especially in VR :barf:).

I just loaded it up real quick wondering how they got those 170+ framerates in that chart just posted since afaik there's no built in benchmark so I hopped into practice range where I'd expect it to be much lighter than an actual game, and got much lower numbers. Huh. CPU definitely running at 4.3, GPU definitely clocked up (usage was at 99% until the alt tab to screenshot). Fullscreen vs. borderless didn't make a difference. Avg 125 or so just looking out at the map, and I had to go in a corner and look down to hit 160.

I have a 6600k at 4.6 ghz. I'll test it at 1.00x scaling just for giggles. I did mean real gameplay fps earlier though, not sure what reviewers are testing with. I'll boot up ye old fraps recorder

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
what's the clock speed on the RAM too? in CPU restricted scenarios memory bandwidth becomes important and can restrict your framerates even further

if you're on like 1333mhz that's probably affecting your frame rate potential too

I mean I used to think RAM speed was pointless but I recently moved from 1333mhz RAM and a stock i5 3570k to 2133mhz RAM and the i5 3570k at 4.4ghz and many games (not synthetic tests) gained as much as 20% more performance, it was kind of nuts

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I get 80 to 90 fps at 1440p with all ultra settings, or whatever the max is called I think its something different for that game, and 1.5x resolution scaling. I imagine if the scaling was off you could approach 1440p with max graphical settings

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well I haven't done it myself, but I'm planning for a 1070 myself so I ran across that Overwatch benchmark. It was actually 135 min / 142 avg on Ultra, so you could probably lock in 144 with some tweaking or overclocking? They were using a 6600K w/ DDR4-3000 as well.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1182-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/page2.html

Man, what the hell. Is the 2500k/2600k so old now? I'm running with a 2600k @ 4.3GHz, and 16GB of (slow) RAM, I'm not getting results like that from my 1070.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There's a single slot half height Polaris 11 card :woop:

...it's the firepro WX4100 with a $400 price tag :negative:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
This is why you buy cases that resemble the trunk of a 1995 Lincoln Towncar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ItBurns posted:

This is why you buy cases that resemble the trunk of a 1995 Lincoln Towncar.

This is why you buy cases that only fit in the trunk of a 1995 Lincoln Towncar.