Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I cannot get transfers between accounts to work right. Example: I have an income of $4000. I split it as I label $2000 as "income" and I transfer $2000 to saving. In checking, it shows an inflow of $2000 and in savings it shows an outflow of $2000. Efforts to manually change it cause a error window to pop up. How can I have my transfers show up properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Brennanite posted:

I cannot get transfers between accounts to work right. Example: I have an income of $4000. I split it as I label $2000 as "income" and I transfer $2000 to saving. In checking, it shows an inflow of $2000 and in savings it shows an outflow of $2000. Efforts to manually change it cause a error window to pop up. How can I have my transfers show up properly?

You have an external income of $4000, right? You deposit it into your checking account, then transfer half to your savings account?

If that's the case, you'll want to do it in 2 steps to match the 2 separate transactions that you're doing. Have one $4000 deposit that all goes into the "to be budgeted" category, then enter a separate transfer of $2000 to go to your savings account. If your savings account is on-budget, then you'll go ahead and budget out that $2000 however you normally would at that point.

If you're depositing directly into the two accounts, then you'll need to do a separate inflow transaction into each.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

you ate my cat posted:

You have an external income of $4000, right? You deposit it into your checking account, then transfer half to your savings account?

If that's the case, you'll want to do it in 2 steps to match the 2 separate transactions that you're doing. Have one $4000 deposit that all goes into the "to be budgeted" category, then enter a separate transfer of $2000 to go to your savings account. If your savings account is on-budget, then you'll go ahead and budget out that $2000 however you normally would at that point.

If you're depositing directly into the two accounts, then you'll need to do a separate inflow transaction into each.

Ahhhh. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Is there a way to manually pair transfers in nYNAB?

My transfers between accounts are showing up twice when I pull in new transactions- so if I move $500 from checking to savings it will show up as two lines with the same amount- one cleared, one not. It's screwing up my working balance and really annoying me. Is the only option to delete one of the lines?

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
That's expected YNAB behaviour AFAIK. All each account sees is if money goes out of in; no way to link the transfers. Let me know if you find one.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

taco show posted:

Is there a way to manually pair transfers in nYNAB?

My transfers between accounts are showing up twice when I pull in new transactions- so if I move $500 from checking to savings it will show up as two lines with the same amount- one cleared, one not. It's screwing up my working balance and really annoying me. Is the only option to delete one of the lines?

Are you entering the transfer manually, then it puts in another copy when you import? That happens to me sometimes, and I just reject the imported transaction and manually clear the one I entered.

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

Time for me to answer a question:

I have a rewards card that also carries a balance (0% transfer). I use available credit between the balance and the limit to make my daily purchases (groceries, etc) and get the rewards points. I track my expenditures with YNAB (just like anything else) and so the non-balance transfer balance is paid off every month.

My question is, I recently added in the rewards cash to my credit card account (it's on budget) as Inflow: To Be Budgeted (this is all on YNAB). It didn't show up as to be budgeted on the main budget screen, didn't effect any budget numbers, etc. It just lowers the card balance. I guess that's fine but I expected to be able to "budget it." I suppose I could just show it as cash into my checking account, then budget it to my credit card.

What the dilly, yo?

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

tyler is a joke posted:

Time for me to answer a question:

I have a rewards card that also carries a balance (0% transfer). I use available credit between the balance and the limit to make my daily purchases (groceries, etc) and get the rewards points. I track my expenditures with YNAB (just like anything else) and so the non-balance transfer balance is paid off every month.

My question is, I recently added in the rewards cash to my credit card account (it's on budget) as Inflow: To Be Budgeted (this is all on YNAB). It didn't show up as to be budgeted on the main budget screen, didn't effect any budget numbers, etc. It just lowers the card balance. I guess that's fine but I expected to be able to "budget it." I suppose I could just show it as cash into my checking account, then budget it to my credit card.

What the dilly, yo?

Sounds like YNAB is glitching for you - I also recently did this and it showed up as expected. I'd delete the imported transaction and create a new manual one to see if that clears it up.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So I've been using YNAB 2 for a bit with the plugin installed and it's mostly meeting my needs. I do have one issue that bugs me though, whenever I go over on a budget category, I get that I'm supposed to take that money from another budget category to cover it, but I wish there was a way to retain the original budgeted estimation so that I can go back later and see how much I over or under estimated. Right now, when I re-assign cash, it updates my budgeted amount (as if I had planned the overspending). I'd like it to show that I over-spent what I budgeted for and I had to grab cash from elsewhere to cover it.

Does anyone else get irritated by this, or am I using YNAB incorrectly or what? Right now I'm just choosing not to reconcile over-spending and letting the balances carry over to the next month because I dislike how YNAB handles it.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

El Mero Mero posted:

So I've been using YNAB 2 for a bit with the plugin installed and it's mostly meeting my needs. I do have one issue that bugs me though, whenever I go over on a budget category, I get that I'm supposed to take that money from another budget category to cover it, but I wish there was a way to retain the original budgeted estimation so that I can go back later and see how much I over or under estimated. Right now, when I re-assign cash, it updates my budgeted amount (as if I had planned the overspending). I'd like it to show that I over-spent what I budgeted for and I had to grab cash from elsewhere to cover it.

Does anyone else get irritated by this, or am I using YNAB incorrectly or what? Right now I'm just choosing not to reconcile over-spending and letting the balances carry over to the next month because I dislike how YNAB handles it.

Not sure about YNAB2, but I use nYNAB and put all that information in the Notes section of each budget line. My monthly spending goal for each category goes in there, so I can reference it whenever I go over or under. I also put my plan for where the extra money should go if I happen to be under budget for that item. For most spending categories I prefer to start fresh every month rather than roll extra over to the next month ('clothes' and similar categories where massing money from month to month makes sense are exceptions).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I managed to gently caress up one of my credit cards in ynab and it thinks the balance is 0 but the available amount in the budget category is -130, which implies it thinks there's a positive balance? I guess?

I had the account balanced out to 0 with spending and payments in April, so I definitely hosed up something this month but I'm not sure what, since if I take all the transactions on paper, out=in

However, I did delete a reconciled transaction in that account. Possible I found a bug, I suppose. Unless any of you kind folk have a decent explanation on what happened. I can provide the straight up transaction log if that would be helpful.

In either case, I'm just going to take the $130 hit to my budget, I guess.

E: all of my individual category balances are either 0 or positive so it's not that

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

I managed to gently caress up one of my credit cards in ynab and it thinks the balance is 0 but the available amount in the budget category is -130, which implies it thinks there's a positive balance? I guess?

I had the account balanced out to 0 with spending and payments in April, so I definitely hosed up something this month but I'm not sure what, since if I take all the transactions on paper, out=in

However, I did delete a reconciled transaction in that account. Possible I found a bug, I suppose. Unless any of you kind folk have a decent explanation on what happened. I can provide the straight up transaction log if that would be helpful.

In either case, I'm just going to take the $130 hit to my budget, I guess.

E: all of my individual category balances are either 0 or positive so it's not that
Did you have a double entry for a transfer?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Defenestration posted:

Did you have a double entry for a transfer?

I do not, but I've done some detective work and I'm still very confused.

The account in question is my Amazon credit card, which currently, IRL and in YNAB, has a balance of 0

For fun, I made a second credit account and called it Foo. I did a bunch of playing around, but right now what's important is there is one transaction that I moved from the Amazon account to the fake Foo account, a payment from my checking for $384.63

Therefore, balance-wise:
Amazon: -384.63
Foo: +384.63

Credit card section of budget:
Amazon: 384.63
Foo: -384.63

This all makes perfect sense. Everything is cool and great and fine. Now suppose I move that payment from Foo to the Amazon account.

Balance:
Amazon: 0
Foo: 0

Budget:
Amazon: -124.31
Foo: 0

I should go post this on the YNAB forums or something

E: I deleted the payment and re-added it, and now everything is fine. Definitely a bug then.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

A Bag of Milk posted:

Not sure about YNAB2, but I use nYNAB and put all that information in the Notes section of each budget line. My monthly spending goal for each category goes in there, so I can reference it whenever I go over or under. I also put my plan for where the extra money should go if I happen to be under budget for that item. For most spending categories I prefer to start fresh every month rather than roll extra over to the next month ('clothes' and similar categories where massing money from month to month makes sense are exceptions).

Bah. So if I don't resolve an underspending category I see that that transfers over to the next month (which is fine with me) but if I don't resolve overspending, what happens when I go to the next month's budget? Is there anyway to make overspending carry over to the next month as well?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

YNAB4 is now free for college students, spread the word!

https://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/post/ynab-is-now-free-for-college-students

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

El Mero Mero posted:

Bah. So if I don't resolve an underspending category I see that that transfers over to the next month (which is fine with me) but if I don't resolve overspending, what happens when I go to the next month's budget? Is there anyway to make overspending carry over to the next month as well?

Click on the red overspending number in your budget and you can choose to have it carry over or subtract from your 'available to budget' amount

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Anyone else having issues with nYNAB and Toolkit for YNAB after the most recent Chrome update? Any time I do anything with a transaction in the Accounts view, I get that 'Uh oh, something went wrong, refresh YNAB' screen. If I use a different browser or disable Toolkit, it works fine. This is new since the last time Chrome updated.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I am but hadn't connected that the toolkit could be the culprit. Probably a recent update borked it.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

And just like that, it's fixed. Toolkit for YNAB updated to 0.4.6, and I can no longer reproduce the issue. I hit their Github, and it looks like they pushed a fix earlier today. I guess the delay was waiting on the Chrome store to push the new version.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Struggling with how to handle 'new debt' in nYNAB. I've been using YNAB for around 5 years and the feature that I miss most is the ability to carry a negative balance forward.

I recently had some major expenses come up that I didn't have enough time to prepare for and are larger than my budget can handle in a given month. So I tapped my HELOC (for new HVAC) and utilized some 0% interest financing for a dental procedure that I needed to have happen. I receive a big cash inflow around March (Taxes and annual bonus) of which I will pay off all of these debts but right now YNAB is insisting that I'm $8K over budget and without being able to carry the balance forward it appears it's just going to continue to 'eat away' at my next's months available dollars until it goes away.

What's the best way to structure this new debt so I can continue to manage my budget.

Scenario 1:
Create off-budget debt (no categories, put starting balance as new balance)
As I make payments, allocate them to the appropriate categories (i.e. Medical, Home Projects)
Seems like this would take care of the issue but the timing of the purchase is now spread out over the repayment period which makes me actual expenses lumpy rather than reflective of reality

Scenario 2:
Create on-budget debt, put the actual transactions in them and in the old method just carry the negative balance forward until it's paid off

Thoughts?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
It insists that you are 8k over budget because you are. The reality of your situation is that you created 8k more debt. You should reflect that reality by creating the debt on budget and log it like it actually happened.

The whole reason for getting rid of the right arrow is that the right arrow would fool you into thinking your numbers are something other than they are. It wouldn't matter for people with reasonable buffers but for others living more day to day it is essential that your budget reflect your actual situation.

I used to use the right arrow for exactly one thing, my fun money category where one month I might overspend and borrow from the next. Now I just budget less next month instead and cover my overspending in the current month. It is the reality of what happens.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I was not aware nYNAB didn't allow you to carry over negative balances. We're rule 4 and most categories (and I have a lot) are discretionary spending, so I like knowing that I overspent last month and I have to make that up when planning the next month's budget. I think that losing that kind of information obfuscates that there was overspending (not planning well enough).

I've been thinking about upgrading to nYNAB because I do want to support them, I like classic a lot and it's helped me tons, but it seems like something I wouldn't particularly like.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

I was not aware nYNAB didn't allow you to carry over negative balances. We're rule 4 and most categories (and I have a lot) are discretionary spending, so I like knowing that I overspent last month and I have to make that up when planning the next month's budget. I think that losing that kind of information obfuscates that there was overspending (not planning well enough).

I've been thinking about upgrading to nYNAB because I do want to support them, I like classic a lot and it's helped me tons, but it seems like something I wouldn't particularly like.

You can still make up for it next month, it just forces you to take it out of *somewhere* in your current budget for now. So you overspend 200 in a category, you have to make up for it out of another category (emergency fund or vacation fund or whatever), because you really honestly do not have that money any more. Next month you can budget 200 less in the category you overspent on and put that 200 back in wherever you took it out from.

This is reflecting reality and not making temporary money out of nowhere like the right arrow does.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
How I would handle that in nYNAB would be to create on-budget accounts for your HELOC and dental financing accounts (line of credit and CC I assume). For your starting balance, put in the negative (outgoing) amounts for what you spent on HVAC and dental costs into the respective accounts. Those will run forward as negative account balances and should create budget lines similar to any existing debt you have on-budget. You can budget on those lines accordingly for the following months until the accounts are zeroed out and then you can go ahead and close them.

This will obviously not accurately reflect your home improvement or medical/dental spending categories going forward and so if you use those averages for anything that's gonna be a PITA. Also it obviously just brushes the overspending and lack of emergency savings under the rug a bit but I don't think you have to be a perfect budget butterfly in order to use YNAB so... :shepspends:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

You can still make up for it next month, it just forces you to take it out of *somewhere* in your current budget for now. So you overspend 200 in a category, you have to make up for it out of another category (emergency fund or vacation fund or whatever), because you really honestly do not have that money any more. Next month you can budget 200 less in the category you overspent on and put that 200 back in wherever you took it out from.

This is reflecting reality and not making temporary money out of nowhere like the right arrow does.

Yea but with Rule 4, I DO have the money since I'm budgeting a month ahead. I get it, I guess I'm just too much in the classic YNAB mindset.

Today is a great example, I just went grocery shopping and spent ~$100. I didn't have that left over in my budget for this month, but you know, it IS the last day of the month. So I'd potentially have to do some budget shimmying for one day?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea but with Rule 4, I DO have the money since I'm budgeting a month ahead. I get it, I guess I'm just too much in the classic YNAB mindset.

Today is a great example, I just went grocery shopping and spent ~$100. I didn't have that left over in my budget for this month, but you know, it IS the last day of the month. So I'd potentially have to do some budget shimmying for one day?
I'd just postdate that transaction since it's not going to clear until Monday the 1st anyway

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Do you guys have a "cash" account for ynab? If you almost always use a credit card, at least. I'm pretty sure the teachings somewhere say to have one, but it's way easier for me to just have the money leave the budget when I withdraw it from an ATM.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
When I withdraw cash, I just budget it to whatever category is most applicable. Straight outflow.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I have a cash account in YNAB. I try to keep up with it via the app, but every week or so I basically reconcile my wallet. I've got a MISC payee that I use when I'm not sure where I spent the cash, and I categorize it as either booze or snacks or fun money based on what my gut says I spent it on.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

myron cope posted:

Do you guys have a "cash" account for ynab? If you almost always use a credit card, at least. I'm pretty sure the teachings somewhere say to have one, but it's way easier for me to just have the money leave the budget when I withdraw it from an ATM.

Yes, I have my wallet as a cash account in YNAB and round cash purchases when I make them up to the next dollar.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

Or just go to the next month, take 100 out of groceries, and then you have 100 more to put towards the current months groceries instead. It is just a slightly more manual way. For one day it is a bit annoying yes, but for longer time stretches lots of people were getting really in a bind with the right arrow making them think they had more than they did.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

overdesigned posted:

I have a cash account in YNAB. I try to keep up with it via the app, but every week or so I basically reconcile my wallet. I've got a MISC payee that I use when I'm not sure where I spent the cash, and I categorize it as either booze or snacks or fun money based on what my gut says I spent it on.
After all that time with YNAB, I still can't get used to pulling out the smartphone and logging the expenses every time they happen.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
I have a cash account but I never reconcile it. I buy so few things with cash (mostly drinks at the dive bar at trivia) that I just make sure to enter any cash transactions right away as I make them.

I realize this is not a good strategy for most people

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I pretty much always try to carry at least $100 in cash on me, either for drinks or if I have to split a check at a restaurant or pick up some poo poo from a yard sale I come across

And it's usually 2-3 days later I retrace where all that cash went and reconcile it and occasionally I'm missing a fiver or something so I just take it out of my available to budget.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Combat Pretzel posted:

After all that time with YNAB, I still can't get used to pulling out the smartphone and logging the expenses every time they happen.

I never thought I would do this but I actually really like it.

Two things the YNAB app really needs, though:

1) Touch ID as a password option

2) The ability to log a transfer of money between on-budget accounts

benem
Feb 15, 2012
Maybe a dumb question, but is there any way on the mobile app to change which month's budget you can view?

Got paid today, but it doesn't seem like I can budget it for next month's expenses....

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

benem posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but is there any way on the mobile app to change which month's budget you can view?

Got paid today, but it doesn't seem like I can budget it for next month's expenses....

Not that I'm aware of, no.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
My biggest complaint with the removal of carrying over negative budgets is reimbursements from work. Now I have to pull money I spend for work out of one of my other budgets and don't have a good running track of what I'm owed. Yes, I know that the money isn't really there, but it made it really easy to keep track of what my company owed me and make sure that I wasn't forgetting something when I filed expenses.

Really, it's probably that I just got used to being able to track things like that and having it removed is making it hard to budget 'properly' at the moment.

I'm also not a huge fan of the new credit card thing, but I know they had to do something with that. I always had the most trouble helping other people wrap their head around the old method even though it seemed easier to me.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

2) The ability to log a transfer of money between on-budget accounts

??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
I guess I'm the only one who tracks to the penny. Whatever; I'm used to doing it and it makes me feel better knowing that level of detail. Also, I represent small personal debts as uncleared cash transactions so they're harder to overlook.

I have four cash accounts: wallet, loose change (I reconcile this one every few months, and eventually I'll take the trouble to deposit it), emergency cash, and laundry quarters.