Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

-Troika- posted:

You people are as bad as the star citizen thread. Go post about something else already, none of you have actually played this game in months.

Hmmmm eat poo poo?

Also this is a general China game thread now, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I spent about a hundred dollars on age of wushu and regret none of it. It was a fun game and might even be fun to load up again. Maybe I'll reinstall it from the aow2 news and bum around.

No mmo has been quite as much fun to just run and jump around in as wushu.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

randombattle posted:

I spent about a hundred dollars on age of wushu and regret none of it. It was a fun game and might even be fun to load up again. Maybe I'll reinstall it from the aow2 news and bum around.

No mmo has been quite as much fun to just run and jump around in as wushu.

I dunno man

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

-Troika- posted:

You people are as bad as the star citizen thread. Go post about something else already, none of you have actually played this game in months.

Hey, I was playing yesterday!

Before I realized the game was so dead it was literally impossible to complete some instances to beat quests and progress to the point where my Vagabond could join a school and thus take advantage of the total lack of people to steal mad scripts.

But I was playing it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Haquer posted:

I dunno man

Let's not even go into what I've spent on warframe.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Who was that guy who that guy who tried to re-rent usual stall spot then rage quit when he succeeded and started yelling about paper boulders? I remember he said he didn't actually like the Man With The Ironfists movie but named his stall in honor of it regardless.

Hemlock was a terrible tangman in shinobi that I could beat with my 400 ms ping. When stall time came around every week if I didn't need a stall (most weeks) I would gently caress with people by standing next to their stall, talking crap and making terrible inconsequential bids that they instantly outbid me on (most people bid the lowest amount then in last 1-5 seconds increased the bid massively if they thought it was in danger). I did this to hemlock who had previously been very friendly and had found me trolling random goons shinobi members in this way pretty funny. In the confusion his alt iron hands was outbid by me for a tiny amount then he out bid me massively on his main hemlock.

When he realised that ironhands had lost the bid he was furious, he didn't believe me that I hadn't stolen it from him. He demanded all manner of things from grithok and namelus (head of shinobi), when he didn't get any of the ridiculous demands and I wasn't punished he ranted and raved in their guildchat and teamspeak, then quit and joined one of the viet guilds.

The funniest part came three days later when everyone finally discovered that hemlock had outbid himself and was a huge idiot.

He also had a habit of writing weird fan fiction about feedz:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/397363/jianghu-law-the-hunt-35-minutes-in-age-of-wushu

Yoiu even wrote some lovely prose back to him pibbleton

pibbleton posted:

Desperately the headmaster ran, ran across the raging water, poison in her veins weakening her limbs as she fled, she was running low on flying chi near a cave entrance and leaped towards it with the last of her strength. The Western Poison gasped for breath as she limped into the cave, her pursuers couldn't be far behind her, but in the raging storm they might not have noticed her tracks from her leaving the river.

She leaned up against a damp cave wall, the wet silk of her clothes clinging to her figure, illuminated only by the occasional flash of lightning from outside the cave. Lightning that now gleaned off the darts in Hemlock's hands as she strutted into the cave. With a rolling dodge Feedz evaded the darts thrown by Hemlock, followed by more darts, then some more darts, then at some point darts were thrown, it wasn't very clear but I'm pretty sure darts were involved.

Feedz activated her reversal chi with the Peacock's Plum technique which rendered Hemlock's dart techniques into harmless acupuncture. Feedz lunged towards Hemlock wielding her deadly dual blades, when suddenly this insanely intense mmo combat was interrupt by a thunderous crash as a boulder blocked the exit!

The combat had ignited an even more primal hunger in the two women, who could no longer contain their passions. Soon the cave echoed with moans of ectasy and luscious juices dripped to the floor adding their dampness.

"Sooo good." Moaned Hemlock as she savored the sensations upon her tongue.

Feedz looked up at her and winked salaiously needed air before continuing to savor the deliciousness of the buffet before her, "Truly this is the best food I've eaten, where did you learn to cook this well?"

"Oh I went to MrPibbleton's recipe stall in Suzhou, it has the lowest prices and widest variety of dishes in Jianghu, suitable for any occasion or level of cooking ability!"

As the two former combatants savored the deliciousness of peace and friendship inside the cave, the boulder rustled gently in the wind and its paper grew damp with rain and the gentle and wise whoopy was content with a job well done.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Haquer posted:

When I was "guild leader" after Akeenai quit all the other leaders of Vietnam guilds asked me all the time why I wasn't a pay2win since even without their bullshit I could mostly keep up with them (1/4 their ping didn't hurt either)

Like literally asking why I didn't blow $3000 on level 6 ancient Tai Chi :psyduck:

How much did that one unique sword end up going for again?

Anal Papist posted:

Hemlock was a terrible tangman in shinobi that I could beat with my 400 ms ping. When stall time came around every week if I didn't need a stall (most weeks) I would gently caress with people by standing next to their stall, talking crap and making terrible inconsequential bids that they instantly outbid me on (most people bid the lowest amount then in last 1-5 seconds increased the bid massively if they thought it was in danger). I did this to hemlock who had previously been very friendly and had found me trolling random goons shinobi members in this way pretty funny. In the confusion his alt iron hands was outbid by me for a tiny amount then he out bid me massively on his main hemlock.

When he realised that ironhands had lost the bid he was furious, he didn't believe me that I hadn't stolen it from him. He demanded all manner of things from grithok and namelus (head of shinobi), when he didn't get any of the ridiculous demands and I wasn't punished he ranted and raved in their guildchat and teamspeak, then quit and joined one of the viet guilds.

The funniest part came three days later when everyone finally discovered that hemlock had outbid himself and was a huge idiot.

He also had a habit of writing weird fan fiction about feedz:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/397363/jianghu-law-the-hunt-35-minutes-in-age-of-wushu

Yoiu even wrote some lovely prose back to him pibbleton

Man I forgot I wrote horrible fan fiction that was actually poorly disguised advertisements for my stalls. I sold so many ripoff items too that looked like basic style books but weren't, I had those terrible buyback prices for basic crafting mats that started off reasonable and became total rip offs, I sold those loving horse lances you could take out of that one instance (someone told me they watched someone buy it, equip it on their back, then ride a horse with it equipped then just say, "Oh :( " oh and pets you couldn't use unless you were in that beast school. Then I was the first to train up a elephant and I'd set up a stall in Chengdu and the elephant would cover up other people's stalls with its body and you couldn't manually select them.

China game did not always promote virtuous behavior in me.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

How much did that one unique sword end up going for again?
I honestly don't remember

quote:

China game did not always promote virtuous behavior in me.

This reminds me of the time when the Factions patch hit and we could all see our kills (meaning full on kill, not just KO) and everyone was calling out numbers that were sub 100 and like one person had over 200

and there I was sitting pretty with over 1300 kills :v:

Needless to say I had over the 300 kill mark for the flute school and had to run that stupid week long quest :(

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I had to spend two weeks meeting the requirements for pomf because I was so hilariously evil.

Grafting + Magical Rampage was worth it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Haquer posted:

I honestly don't remember

This reminds me of the time when the Factions patch hit and we could all see our kills (meaning full on kill, not just KO) and everyone was calling out numbers that were sub 100 and like one person had over 200

and there I was sitting pretty with over 1300 kills :v:

Needless to say I had over the 300 kill mark for the flute school and had to run that stupid week long quest :(

Was that the fish riding school?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Anoia posted:

No one here actually blew thousands on China games, either.

...I hope. :ohdear:

There were goons who did.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
I hope I can play lovely guitar hero again, hopefully without hiding inside chimneys this time. I remember being really sad when I could get the combat effects off of the highest level of music and the musical attack wasn't even vaguely like kungfu hustle and more just good for confusing people from a distance.

Or maybe they'll troll everyone by scrapping the guqin in favor of having people sing karaoke for buffs.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mr. Owl posted:

I hope I can play lovely guitar hero again, hopefully without hiding inside chimneys this time. I remember being really sad when I could get the combat effects off of the highest level of music and the musical attack wasn't even vaguely like kungfu hustle and more just good for confusing people from a distance.

Or maybe they'll troll everyone by scrapping the guqin in favor of having people sing karaoke for buffs.

Kung Fu Hustle was one of the reasons I learned Poison Toad.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Was that the fish riding school?

You know, I was so loving excited for shark riding

Turns out it was the absolute worst effort:tokens way of getting things, not even really worth doing daily at all

Goddamnit snail games

E: The best effort:tokens was the daily Literally Smack Fish Out Of Water daily task that you did I think twice for 15 minutes each (or 3 times for 10 min, it was 30min either way)

Like, you got a skill called Air Cutter and you used it to smack fish out of the water and they had a grading system for them and everything

Hy_C posted:

There were goons who did.

My favorite thing was how long it took people to realize that Feedz:
1) wasn't actually a goon
2) Spent his college loan money on p2w in age of wushu instead of, say, college

Haquer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 1, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Haquer posted:

Feedz has a SA account, but I don't know about the second part. Ultima Online had a detrimental effect on my first shot at university so I wouldn't be surprised, though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Haquer posted:

You know, I was so loving excited for shark riding

Turns out it was the absolute worst effort:tokens way of getting things, not even really worth doing daily at all

Goddamnit snail games

E: The best effort:tokens was the daily Literally Smack Fish Out Of Water daily task that you did I think twice for 15 minutes each (or 3 times for 10 min, it was 30min either way)

Like, you got a skill called Air Cutter and you used it to smack fish out of the water and they had a grading system for them and everything

There was water all over the place, give people a drat shark mount with a bite attack! Or maybe horses with a massive knockback effect, that'd be good too.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Haquer posted:

Other than the pay2win and people with lower ping destroying people because their lag compensation was terrible I really enjoyed my time in wushu :shobon:

Yeah, I really enjoyed the game as well, until the grind and pay2wining got too much. That was over a year before that happened, though.

Edit: Truly fun times were had during WV script stealing defense when I got to knock Viets into the volcano which always made them really, super mad.

The fact that they kept dashing over the volcano despite so many people having poison fist never stopped amusing me.

Little Abigail fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 1, 2016

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Rexxed posted:

Feedz has a SA account, but I don't know about the second part. Ultima Online had a detrimental effect on my first shot at university so I wouldn't be surprised, though.

An SA account does not a goon make?

And I know the second bit because his totally-not-e-girlfriend :v:

E: Apparently after selling his character in wushu for like 1/5 what he put into it, the dumped it all into being a p2w in archage so the cycle continued

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Third World Reggin posted:

You guys are missing something important here

dragon ball xenoverse 2 is coming out and you can play as elder guru
Is the hero still me though?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Haquer posted:

He gave his 10$. Also there were other goons who spent a lot of cash. I'm pretty sure we had more wallet warriors.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

And maybe pretty soon.

From what i understand of UE4 engine it was designed to make localisation less of a pain for the devs (thanks Europe !) and Snail plan to self publish AOW2 worldwide in 2017.

Cant wait for "No Horse Day!" again.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'll take one of those $100 founder's packs please

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

aleksendr posted:

And maybe pretty soon.

From what i understand of UE4 engine it was designed to make localisation less of a pain for the devs (thanks Europe !) and Snail plan to self publish AOW2 worldwide in 2017.

Cant wait for "No Horse Day!" again.

Snail self published in the US and it was horrible. Hopefully the actual china people managing the game are better but the horror story of one of the head honchos allegedly saying something about making whales feel like kings and f2pers peasants isnt encouraging. I would pay a steady sub for the game if it meant not having to worry about bullshit p2w styles and being able to log off and continue cultivation or whatever they'll use to develop your characters while offline.

Also gently caress the meridian system

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I just hope they improve the marketing because I didn't get the memo that it was actually a sandbox game until after it released and I read an article on engadget titled "Age of Wushu is probably the greatest sandbox you'll never play". I had seen gameplay/trailer footage and it seemed like it was nothing more than World of Warcraft with an Asian setting/flashy combat system... And when I started the game, I was stuck thinking "Is this the game I read about?"

Assuming this is Age of Wushu with better technology behind it, they have a real opportunity here to market it with "hey, we're the only ones doing this, there's more to this than the setting/flashy combat", make it buy2play and sell expansion content regularly along with cosmetics. Contrary to belief, you can make money without loving your customers up the rear end.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Little Abigail posted:

Edit: Truly fun times were had during WV script stealing defense when I got to knock Viets into the volcano which always made them really, super mad.

The fact that they kept dashing over the volcano despite so many people having poison fist never stopped amusing me.

I would jump for joy when the scripts DIDN'T show up at the volcano, because then the fastest route out was off a hiiiigh cliff.

I'd wait under the eaves and poison-fist people so they plummeted to the ground. Early in the game this was an insta-kill, later it did enough that even I could finish them off and then fly back up the cliff to the librarian.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Mile'ionaha posted:

I would jump for joy when the scripts DIDN'T show up at the volcano, because then the fastest route out was off a hiiiigh cliff.

I'd wait under the eaves and poison-fist people so they plummeted to the ground. Early in the game this was an insta-kill, later it did enough that even I could finish them off and then fly back up the cliff to the librarian.

Goonball was the best though.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Snail self published in the US and it was horrible. Hopefully the actual china people managing the game are better but the horror story of one of the head honchos allegedly saying something about making whales feel like kings and f2pers peasants isnt encouraging. I would pay a steady sub for the game if it meant not having to worry about bullshit p2w styles and being able to log off and continue cultivation or whatever they'll use to develop your characters while offline.

Also gently caress the meridian system

We weren't the target audience of the game at all. Their model works very well in China, as they have hundreds of servers with giant populations on them (I wandered into out of the way areas and constantly saw players even on their "low population" servers) and on every server they have their whale pay2wins

I do agree that they need to swap to cosmetics and not poo poo like ancient skills or shop sets but I'm willing to bet they don't realize poo poo like that isn't enjoyed in the west since it's doing extremely well in China :(

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Haquer posted:

We weren't the target audience of the game at all. Their model works very well in China, as they have hundreds of servers with giant populations on them (I wandered into out of the way areas and constantly saw players even on their "low population" servers) and on every server they have their whale pay2wins

I do agree that they need to swap to cosmetics and not poo poo like ancient skills or shop sets but I'm willing to bet they don't realize poo poo like that isn't enjoyed in the west since it's doing extremely well in China :(

Was our cash shop the exact same as the one in China?

Also here's an interview about Dark & Light (medieval chinagame sandbox), I figure this will come out in the West before Wushu 2 and should be a relatively good indication of what to expect with localization with UE4/cash shop shenanigans

quote:

From: http://mmoculture.com/2011/03/darkness-and-light-an-epic-mmo-in-the-making/

1. Development of the game started way back in 2005.

2. The game is apparently over 40,000 square kilometers, 40 times the size of World of Warcraft. In this huge open world, there will be 10 races separated into 3 factions. Of course, these races will be available for players to choose. They include humans, elves, beastmen, dwarves, fairies, demons, dragons and more.

3. When players create a character, the system will generate an unique growth path for them. All players will get to try out the various battle and life classes at first in order to allow them to choose a class most suited for them to progress. Eventually, a well-trained character will be a sword-wielding warrior who is able to throw fireballs in the middle of battle!

4. Other than the battle classes, there will be a variety of life classes for players to play as. Having your own shop (like a real actual shop space), going on a trade expedition, a skilled blacksmith, a world-renown herbalist, a wandering storyteller, a knowledgeable historian, a dragon trainer (gasp!)… All these and more is possible in Darkness and Light! These unique classes will cater for players who are not so much into battles.

5. When players eventually gain a huge amount of honor and recognition, the kingdom will bestow him with a title and a piece of land. With the piece of land, players can build a grand castle from scratch, eventually turning the areas around it into a town! If the player is lucky, there will be a time where a gold mine is discovered in the mountains within his territory, which can be farmed by the citizens of the town.

6. There will be an active and live weather change system. Snow, fog, sunny, rain, hailstorm… all these will have an effect on the world. For example, if a snowstorm suddenly strikes, trading markets in town will close shop early. When players use a massive AOE ice skill during such a time, a mega blizzard will be formed!

7. All players will be within the same server. Other than just plain grinding for experience points, activities like taking part in political campaigns and even trading will nab players with points.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 1, 2016

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Not sure about the pricing, but more or less yes.

However, they kept skills a bit longer and brought them back more often (not sure if they did the same stupid events to make people gamble on pieces to build one of those sets like the NA version did, jesus that was stupid)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Well I'm hoping that they're smarter this time around because they're bringing the medieval/pirate/wushu game to the West from what I understand and there's a lot of money to be made if they don't gently caress it up.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Also here's an interview about Dark & Light (medieval chinagame sandbox), I figure this will come out in the West before Wushu 2 and should be a relatively good indication of what to expect with localization with UE4/cash shop shenanigans

Wanna play a dragon wizard.

gently caress elves.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Haquer posted:

Yeah this poo poo is just culturally ingrained. In the west we still got that ideal that if you work hard and have talent you should succeed.

China has embraced the plutocracy. My old roommate had trouble settling his grandparent's estate because he didn't bribe the official to forge the documents that were lost in the cultural revolution. Sometimes you just have to get the inheritance money to bribe the official to get the inheritance money.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Shalhavet posted:

gently caress elves.

A creed that many live and die by.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Haquer posted:

I have long since accepted that all AAA or even AA mmo from maybe 2010 - onward wil be P2W in a way or another. The model has won. there is just too much money to be made by doing it like that with a tiered launch (Founder pack-> pay for beta-> pay for early launch access->Buy to play and finally the transition to Freemium a year after. ). So i wont expect anything without a serious incentive to go deep in your wallet at some point or another.

My main wish is that they improve the netcode so ping between 600-400ms can still play and be enjoyable. I had a lot of fun in the begining (joiner on second server opening) and could hold my ground against p2w. Sure i was getting killed often, but not being completely destroyed like after they introduced the second wave of cash shop sets and skill set like rootless sword or others with more than one charge move to lock you down completely if you had average ping.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
To be fair you are *a* target. It's well known that there is a symbiotic relationship in F2P games. Play to win is most effective when there is a bunch of people you can win against. Having a horde of poor [And/or fiscally responsible] people unwilling to drop 30 grand to be as awesome as you is what allows you to show off how awesome you are. And the guy paying 30 grand is what allows that horde to not have to pay. The secret is to make it juuuust tough on the horde there are some things they want to pay for [5 bucks for more bag space or a dime for a pet that buffs you or some poo poo, things like that], but not so much they get annoyed and gently caress off. Because if they gently caress off there are less people for the whale to show off to, and he's likely to gently caress off too, to whatever other game people are playing. And so the cycle goes.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 2, 2016

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
I still keep in touch with a lot of the NoTrabbus and they've actually been playing the Wushu mobile game.

It's awful the things Chinagame does to a man.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

aleksendr posted:

I have long since accepted that all AAA or even AA mmo from maybe 2010 - onward wil be P2W in a way or another. The model has won. there is just too much money to be made by doing it like that with a tiered launch (Founder pack-> pay for beta-> pay for early launch access->Buy to play and finally the transition to Freemium a year after. ). So i wont expect anything without a serious incentive to go deep in your wallet at some point or another.

My main wish is that they improve the netcode so ping between 600-400ms can still play and be enjoyable. I had a lot of fun in the begining (joiner on second server opening) and could hold my ground against p2w. Sure i was getting killed often, but not being completely destroyed like after they introduced the second wave of cash shop sets and skill set like rootless sword or others with more than one charge move to lock you down completely if you had average ping.

Moonlight Blade was surprisingly playable at 300ms. Much more than that though, and no amount of clever netcode is going to make an action game playable. It's just a physical reality of networking when you have a game with fast paced PvP.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

aleksendr posted:

Has it won though? Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online are doing incredibly well. Elder Scrolls Online especially considering that the players it keeps generally maintain a ESO Plus subscription and/or buy cosmetics/expansions. According to their 7 million figure assuming they bought at a reasonable price point, that's an obscene amount of money.

If they marketed this as an experience that you'll get nowhere else in the genre with a unique setting and interesting (looking) combat, I bet it would do pretty well in today's market. You know what else would be even more interesting? A flat $4.99-7.99 subscription fee with expansion content sold every couple months. No one has experimented with lower price points in subscriptions. $15/mo is a tough sell, but the cost of a decent app a month? People might go for that.

Also, Chronicles of Elyria's spark of life system is particularly awesome because the developers are getting box price sales ($29.99) every 4-12 months in exchange for no micro transactions whatsoever.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 2, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol at anyone thinking ESO is doing incredibly well

And chronicles of elyria? loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
In the MMOG world, turning a profit—any profit—is doing incredibly well