Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AgentSythe posted:

The Mighty Quinn trip report: it's bad

Oh lmao were you the guy playing that? It looked sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
thoughts on Eldritch Evolution in Elves? In a typical Natural Order build, it seems really, really bad -- but in Chaos Elves, it's another way to find a t2/t3 Teeg, and just as importantly, we can still cast this with Teeg on the board.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

thoughts on Eldritch Evolution in Elves? In a typical Natural Order build, it seems really, really bad -- but in Chaos Elves, it's another way to find a t2/t3 Teeg, and just as importantly, we can still cast this with Teeg on the board.

I was about to respond assuming you were talking about modern elves but are you referring to playing it in addition to natural order in legacy elves?

Somewhat related, Jeff Hoogland put 4 of them in his kiki chord deck and went down to 3 chords for the classic this weekend. I think they're a steal at $5 each. Card is real good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tim Raines IRL posted:

It's also a nice finisher to grab a shaman of the pack if you have critical mass.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I think they're a steal at $5 each. Card is real good.

Yeah, I was surprised how cheap they are. Oh well got a playset now in case it spikes to stupid amounts later.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I am going to try it in Modern and retreive Iona or Elesh Norn. Though I have to learn which color to name against certain matchups.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Star Man posted:

I am going to try it in Modern and retreive Iona or Elesh Norn. Though I have to learn which color to name against certain matchups.

Easy, just play mirror gallery, and play 4 Ionas, and some clones. Name every color and just pray they're not running all is dust.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

L0cke17 posted:

Easy, just play mirror gallery, and play 4 Ionas, and some clones. Name every color and just pray they're not running all is dust.

if I can resolve multiple 4-5 drops I'd rather just win off Kiki.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

if I can resolve multiple 4-5 drops I'd rather just win off Kiki.

Someone's missing the comedic value of not letting your opponent play magic.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

What do y'all think about this deck? Todd Stevens (a streamer and scg grinder) played this version to good success on MODO. My version has a different sideboard and a few minor tweaks (maindeck relic over 3rd spellskite, uhh, that's about it). Anyway, this deck is pretty cheap to build and actually really really powerful. It's sort of like tron in that it goes over the top of decks like jund and control, but it isn't as weak to burn and affinity because of the chalices and infect is a great matchup.

You can reliably cast thought-knots and reality smashers on turn 3, but the deck doesn't fold to one crumble to dust.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

I played it in one of the challenges on Saturday, yeah. I played a real deck in the second challenge and in the classic on Sunday

okay so how am I supposed to beat Death and Taxes on a consistent basis with Grixis Delver? I mean I can do it with my Super Delver draws and I do my best to protect my mana and value lands since I know they're going to get hosed up over the course of the games but that matchup seems tough

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

I played it in one of the challenges on Saturday, yeah. I played a real deck in the second challenge and in the classic on Sunday

okay so how am I supposed to beat Death and Taxes on a consistent basis with Grixis Delver? I mean I can do it with my Super Delver draws and I do my best to protect my mana and value lands since I know they're going to get hosed up over the course of the games but that matchup seems tough

I told you, get really lucky and have them draw badly.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I told you, get really lucky and have them draw badly.

It can't ever seem to beat multiple terminus so I guess I just throw in the Tundra and run those. can't ever lose

Speaking of death and taxes losing to terminus, I saw the following sequence of events at the classic yesterday: Miracles vs D&T, just going into turns in game 3. Miracles guy has countertop assembled and a baneslayer. D&T guy attempts to go for the draw by flickerwisping the baneslayer in attacks. Flickerwisp ability happens, miracles guy goes to second main, hard casts a Terminus, Baneslayer comes back.

Basilisk Collar + Endbringer is a delight. What does it want Crucible for? Fulminator mage matchups?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Toxic Deluge (or, if you want to get really laset focused, virtues ruin) seems ok if you can ever cast a 3 mana spell against them(which seems hard but idk)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Massacre is the best grixis card for clearing the board against DnT. Dread of Night also does a lot of work.

If you want a card that does an OK impression of those but also hits TNN, you use Marsh Casualties.

Deluge is waaaay too expensive, and Virtue's Ruin is a mix of waaaay too expensive and also not as flexible as deluge.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

It can't ever seem to beat multiple terminus so I guess I just throw in the Tundra and run those. can't ever lose

Speaking of death and taxes losing to terminus, I saw the following sequence of events at the classic yesterday: Miracles vs D&T, just going into turns in game 3. Miracles guy has countertop assembled and a baneslayer. D&T guy attempts to go for the draw by flickerwisping the baneslayer in attacks. Flickerwisp ability happens, miracles guy goes to second main, hard casts a Terminus, Baneslayer comes back.

Basilisk Collar + Endbringer is a delight. What does it want Crucible for? Fulminator mage matchups?

The third Terminus is when you lose.

Because it's a 1 mana Wrath which is still legal in this format for some reason, you see. If it cost a reasonable amount of mana or was at sorcery speed it would be extremely easy to beat.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Before terminus there was no viable control deck though. Without it there would only be aggro-control and combo left.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

Massacre is the best grixis card for clearing the board against DnT. Dread of Night also does a lot of work.

If you want a card that does an OK impression of those but also hits TNN, you use Marsh Casualties.

Deluge is waaaay too expensive, and Virtue's Ruin is a mix of waaaay too expensive and also not as flexible as deluge.

I forgot that Massacre and Dread of Night exist :downs:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Yeah I cut Dread of Night (and something else) for Baleful Strix. I was expecting more eldrazi but instead got Mom'd

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
There's also Sulfur Elemental for hilarity sake, Rough // Tumble is also pretty good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

Before terminus there was no viable control deck though. Without it there would only be aggro-control and combo left.

...and now there's no viable aggro decks. So we traded a bunch of decks for one deck which would still be perfectly fine without a 1 mana Wrath.

Holy crap it's amazingly obvious that you play Miracles.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bonus posted:

What do y'all think about this deck? Todd Stevens (a streamer and scg grinder) played this version to good success on MODO. My version has a different sideboard and a few minor tweaks (maindeck relic over 3rd spellskite, uhh, that's about it). Anyway, this deck is pretty cheap to build and actually really really powerful. It's sort of like tron in that it goes over the top of decks like jund and control, but it isn't as weak to burn and affinity because of the chalices and infect is a great matchup.

You can reliably cast thought-knots and reality smashers on turn 3, but the deck doesn't fold to one crumble to dust.

So just pre-ban Eldrazi minus Eye? :v: It's probably still a good deck if somewhat uninspired. And it would give me an excuse to use these Chalices of the Void that aren't seeing frequent use elsewhere!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

L0cke17 posted:

This is false; old ("43", pre-thespian's stage) lands was totally viable and consistently placed very well, especially in proportion to the small number of people playing the deck. Hell I remember pre-ISD (which caused every aggro deck to go blue with the printing of delver) you'd still see a Mono-U or Tezzeret Control list do well on occasion.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Bonus posted:

There's a guy in my LGS that runs a list similar to that, but he does the black Eldrazi version without the Chalice and Matter Reshapers, he has Conduit of Ruin, Oblivion Sower, and Kozilek's Channeler. It was kinda slow but that deck hurt like hell to play against.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

...and now there's no viable aggro decks. So we traded a bunch of decks for one deck which would still be perfectly fine without a 1 mana Wrath.

Holy crap it's amazingly obvious that you play Miracles.

I play miracles now. It's hilariously fun.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Thisuck posted:

There's also Sulfur Elemental for hilarity sake, Rough // Tumble is also pretty good.

Sulfur Elemental wants your deck to have like a real live mountain in it though. Grixis against DnT is going to be stuck under wastelands, ports, and thalias, so the notion of getting to 3 is going to be hard at best.

It DOES get through their quad stack of wingmares, though!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sigma-X posted:

Sulfur Elemental wants your deck to have like a real live mountain in it though. Grixis against DnT is going to be stuck under wastelands, ports, and thalias, so the notion of getting to 3 is going to be hard at best.

It DOES get through their quad stack of wingmares, though!

Yeah, the slightly higher cost is only mitigated by not being affected by Thalia and Wingmares, Ports and Wastelands are still a bad time. On that note, I'm slowly building up my D&T deck, just gonna go with judge promo Ports, got one last week, 3 more to go!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Thisuck posted:

Yeah, the slightly higher cost is only mitigated by not being affected by Thalia and Wingmares, Ports and Wastelands are still a bad time. On that note, I'm slowly building up my D&T deck, just gonna go with judge promo Ports, got one last week, 3 more to go!

you monster

also I never tried massacre because keeping a swamp in play is actually kinda hard against that deck. i might just bring the dread of night back in and figure out somewhere else to cut.

Skyl3lazer posted:

on the other hand i could just jam The Mighty Quinn every event

what were you playing? that event was small so I probably saw you

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

AkumaHokoru posted:

only if the resulting deck is called Esper Souls

Surely you meant to say "Dark Souls"

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

AgentSythe posted:

you monster

I play Hate Bears and Eldrazi bears in modern :v:

Also Dredge, Dredge everywhere, Legacy, Modern, Pauper, I'd play Dredge if i can get away with it in Standard just to mess with people.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

AgentSythe posted:

That's a possibility, but decks playing fulminator also usually play decay and kolaghan's command. I was thinking to use it against control and tron and matchups where your opponent might have a lot of ghost quarters. Or if they have few basics, you can aggressively go after their lands with ghost quarter.

Yeah the deck is similar to the old ones with eye, but it's not nearly as aggressive of course. Basically you just want to have 5 mana by turn 3 either with tron or eldrazi temples. And if you don't, you still have a lot of stuff to interact. Like I said, it's like tron but much more interactive and owns bones.

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 2, 2016

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

Surely you meant to say "Dark Souls"

I guess that could work except too much w/u not enough b

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm now up to having 12 modern decks without having to swap cards around between decks. Guys, I, I think I may have a real problem.

Eldritch Elves/combo elves
8 whack
Mono U Tron
Naya Burn
Boggles
Living End
UR possibility Storm
GW hate bears
Torpor Terror
Norin Soul Sisters
Infect
5 color restore balance.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

kizudarake posted:

I'm now up to having 12 modern decks without having to swap cards around between decks. Guys, I, I think I may have a real problem.

8 whack
Mono U Tron
Naya Burn
Boggles
Living End
UR possibility Storm
GW hate bears
Torpor Terror
Norin Soul Sisters
Infect
5 color restore balance.

I also have a similar problem. We should start a support group.

Restore Balance
Dredge
Jund
Affinity
Infect
RG Tron

Currently working on Abzan Company as trade fodder allows

And in the end, I really only bother to play Jund consistently. But it makes for good playtesting I guess. And gives options. Yeah; I have no real justification

:smith:

Walked fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 2, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

kizudarake posted:

What's your list for this? I don't play with Shaman of the Pack but I almost always want to be able to cast my tutor at instant speed without using actual mana. Evolution is better when you have less of a board, but if you're in that situation then sacc'ing an elf is not free at all.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

AgentSythe posted:

What's your list for this? I don't play with Shaman of the Pack but I almost always want to be able to cast my tutor at instant speed without using actual mana. Evolution is better when you have less of a board, but if you're in that situation then sacc'ing an elf is not free at all.

My current list is the hoogland Iona elesh norn allosaurus rider package, but I can't start play testing until my buddy from my local store brings back my regular combo elves deck.

That one's full of the normal combo elf stuff with 4 chords, 4 coco and 3 Genesis wave, dump a shitton f mana into mirror entity's ability, and 5 mana into ezuri's ability, then swing for several dozen trample damage

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Walked posted:

I also have a similar problem. We should start a support group.

Restore Balance
Dredge
Jund
Affinity
Infect
RG Tron

Currently working on Abzan Company as trade fodder allows

And in the end, I really only bother to play Jund consistently. But it makes for good playtesting I guess. And gives options. Yeah; I have no real justification

:smith:

Agreed

Hello, my name is Thisuck and I have deck collection problem. These are my modern decks.

Junk midrange
Melira Company
Jund
Dredge, both Vengevine and Bridge varieties
G/W Hatebears, Mono-white Hatebears, Eldrazi Bears
Grixis Delver and Control
Mono-Red Skred + 6 Blood Moon effects

I'm just finishing up Restore Balance, Infect, and Jeskai Nahiri right now. I make sure I only use 1 kind of sleeve for everything, including my cube, so I can swap cards out whenever, it's actually pretty awesome since it's buy once then you have access to a bunch of decks.

I want to play more Jund, but I just have a lot more fun playing the Eldrazi Bears and other fun non-Magic like decks, like Dredge.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 2, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AgentSythe posted:

you monster

also I never tried massacre because keeping a swamp in play is actually kinda hard against that deck. i might just bring the dread of night back in and figure out somewhere else to cut.

on the other hand i could just jam The Mighty Quinn every event

what were you playing? that event was small so I probably saw you

I was the guy playing belcher in the 4pm sat event

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Thisuck posted:

I make sure I only use 1 kind of sleeve for everything, including my cube, so I can swap cards out whenever, it's actually pretty awesome since it's buy once then you have access to a bunch of decks.

I want to play more Jund, but I just have a lot more fun playing the Eldrazi Bears and other fun non-Magic like decks, like Dredge.

I use the mana flip boxes, and I use different colored dragon shields so I can tell by looking at the box-sleeve combo what deck is what. I'm scared that putting tape on the flip boxes to label them with deck names will damage them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thisuck posted:

Agreed

Hello, my name is Thisuck and I have deck collection problem. These are my modern decks.

Junk midrange
Melira Company
Jund
Dredge, both Vengevine and Bridge varieties
G/W Hatebears, Mono-white Hatebears, Eldrazi Bears
Grixis Delver and Control
Mono-Red Skred + 6 Blood Moon effects

I'm just finishing up Restore Balance, Infect, and Jeskai Nahiri right now. I make sure I only use 1 kind of sleeve for everything, including my cube, so I can swap cards out whenever, it's actually pretty awesome since it's buy once then you have access to a bunch of decks.

When WoTC creates a new format and destroys modern in a few years it'll be cool to watch the value of all our decks plummet

:homebrew:

Whats your Eldrazi Bears list?