Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Man I swapped over to Griots best of show wax and :swoon:.

It is a right motherfucker to get off though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Digital_Jesus posted:

Man I swapped over to Griots best of show wax and :swoon:.

It is a right motherfucker to get off though.

Use some form of quick detailer after your first buffing. Gets it off pretty quick and easy and you're right, the finish is absolutely :swoon:

I've never been a big believer in wax making some huge change in the appearance of a car but the difference was absolutely noticeable on my s2k. The paint looks way deeper and it loving pops.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I *was* using quickdetailer (which btw owns because Griots quick detailer smells like Sprees). Though I also did their recommended put on two coats and let it dry for 24hrs thing.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Ahem. I think I had that covered in the op:

Waiting for a trip report. :colbert:

And ooooooh, you got the fancy double. Look at Mr. Moneypants.

Haha. The double was $99 shipped and what was in stock. While this literally had me pacing around the car, waiting for it to burst into flames I am happy to report it worked wonderfully. I did two treatments and 90% of the mold smell is gone. I need to do one more, just to knock the final hint of mustiness out, but it's amazing how well it worked. RIP PAUL WALKER came by and we shocked his Passat, it had no problem removing the smoke/mold/musty odor/sweet stench after three (15-20min) treatments.

I'm sold. I'm going to try it on one of our outbuildings next to see if it can removed the mouse-smell.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

the spyder posted:

Haha. The double was $99 shipped and what was in stock. While this literally had me pacing around the car, waiting for it to burst into flames I am happy to report it worked wonderfully. I did two treatments and 90% of the mold smell is gone. I need to do one more, just to knock the final hint of mustiness out, but it's amazing how well it worked. RIP PAUL WALKER came by and we shocked his Passat, it had no problem removing the smoke/mold/musty odor/sweet stench after three (15-20min) treatments.

I'm sold. I'm going to try it on one of our outbuildings next to see if it can removed the mouse-smell.

Good deal. I'm glad it's working for you. I w was surprised by how good a job it did, then I wanted to Ozone everything. The single made a big difference in my bedroom (~325ft*2 with ceiling vaulted to 15') when we were keeping the dog in there when we went away. He had separation anxiety and made one hell of a stink. 40 minutes with the ozone generator and all traces were gone. Pretty amazing stuff. I'm sure with a double unit you'll be able to do even more.

I find myself going into musty buildings (several churches and Buckeye Gymnastics, home of Gabby Douglas) and marveling at the stink... then thinking "all you need to do is get some ozone generators and your building will not smell like rank old rear end."

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I had my first foray into polishing this weekend on my single stage red 95 and it as all going well until I cut too far on the rear panel. Is this something I can try to touch up myself or should I take it to a paint/body shop? You can see where I went too far on the top edge, around the key hole, and right smack dab in the middle of the panel. I guess I should have waited until I had a smaller pad. 6" was definitely too big for this, at least for me. I was using the Griot's Garage 6" da polisher with the orange cutting pad and Meguiar's M105 compound on speed 5. The panels I didn't gently caress up I follow up with M205 and a coat of wax. They look great.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Should have used Ultimate Compound.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posted:

Should have used Ultimate Compound.

I honestly didn't see a lot of difference in result between using just UC and M105 first...

willroc7, I can't see much from your picture, but if you're through to red primer, that's pretty much end game. You either live with it or respray. The nice thing is that panel comes off easily and red is an easy color to match.

I did that on my black single-stage Miata on the left rear corner of the hood. I caught a glimpse of dark grey primer on an edge and about poo poo myself. From that point on, I was MUCH more gentle with the abrasives. :unsmith:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I honestly didn't see a lot of difference in result between using just UC and M105 first...

willroc7, I can't see much from your picture, but if you're through to red primer, that's pretty much end game. You either live with it or respray. The nice thing is that panel comes off easily and red is an easy color to match.

I did that on my black single-stage Miata on the left rear corner of the hood. I caught a glimpse of dark grey primer on an edge and about poo poo myself. From that point on, I was MUCH more gentle with the abrasives. :unsmith:
Yea, that's what I thought. I think I am through to the primer. Is a respray something I can tackle on my own or should I just bite the bullet and have a body shop do it? Looks like I can order a rattle-can with the right paint code for about $20. I am as inexperienced at painting as I am polishing. Next time I'll just use 205. That said, the nose that I did with 105/205 looks great. Just kept the DA moving when I did that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

meatpimp posted:

Didn't notice the boatload of dust with M105, eh?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Pad was definitely turning red throughout the entire process, but I thought was normal. Should I have lubricated the pad more? I think I just overdid it with 3 passes of M105. I kept cutting but the paint was still faded so I thought I just need to go farther. Oh well, live and learn.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, that's normal since its single stage paint.

Cutting (aka M105) is to remove defects in the paint by essentially removing a layer of paint so that everything is at the same level.

Polishing turns the dull finish from cutting into a a shine. You were trying to get a shine from the abrasive part of the process.

Think of it like sanding wood, you use 80 grit to get everything roughly smooth and then make several passes with 200, 400, 800 grit to it incredibly smooth.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

That makes sense but I was getting a shine from the other panels using 105. The 205 actually seemed kinda pointless on some.

The first shop I pinged quoted me $185 for a blend paint repair. Seems steep, no? Wouldn't repainting the entire panel make more sense or is that going to really cost me an arm and a leg?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The rear fascia panel is a pretty good target to learn how to paint. The only concerns is that it is made of polyurethane, so it'll be a bit different vs a metal body panel.

If you want to learn, do it. If you want to pay someone else to get it 100% perfect, you're out $200.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
For future reference, if you don't have a crazy carbon fiber car, paint depth gauges can be had for < 50$. I would suggest anybody wanting to buff and polish pick one up just for safety sake.

*Edit*

They are also fantastic for used car buying. Repainted panels have super thick readings compared to factory painted panels.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 1, 2016

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Let's say I choose to have a go at it myself, any tips on where to buy the supplies? Good beginner guides for a single stage job?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Let's say I choose to have a go at it myself, any tips on where to buy the supplies? Good beginner guides for a single stage job?

1) Drive the car down to a local shop that sells automotive paint and have them mix you up a can of matched paint.

2) Get a HPV gun from Harbor Freight and a Air Compressor if you don't have one.

3) Find a good guide on Youtube.

As always, 99% of a fantastic paint job is prep.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

What about an aerosol can or two from automotivetouchup.com? I don't have an air compressor or paint gun. If I need those to do a good job, I'll probably pay to have it done...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

willroc7 posted:

What about an aerosol can or two from automotivetouchup.com? I don't have an air compressor or paint gun. If I need those to do a good job, I'll probably pay to have it done...
It comes down to how good of a job you want done. Is it a car you care about or just a beater? Painting it with aerosol cans will be cheap and easy, but not good. If you go down that route, i'd go with many applications of very light coats with very fine wet sanding between them. And then hopefully the paint is a good enough match to make you happy.

$200 really doesn't sound that bad if it's going to be a good job.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

the spyder posted:

RIP PAUL WALKER came by and we shocked his Passat, it had no problem removing the smoke/mold/musty odor/sweet stench after three (15-20min) treatments.

I think I may need to do another deep-clean and/or another shock, the smell has come back, albiet a bit less.

To be fair, the Passat was reallllly gross and the ozone machine helped a fair bit. It's beein airing out indoors for a few days now...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just chiming in to say that Stoner's bug and tar remover spray is amazing, I think I saw the recommendation in here. I used to use the one that comes in the white bottle with the annoying lid (it's a liquid), but I had much better and faster results with Stoner's.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there a good reference that someone can direct me to that can show me step by step what a good detailing process should look like and what each step does specifically? Also what is a good entry level orbital polisher one can get?

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Any suggestions for a good leather cleaner for a steering wheel?

Found a leather wheel for my Ranger at the junkyard in excellent shape, but looks like it has lived its entire life under a cheap steering wheel cover and could use a thorough cleaning.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I use Autoglym Leather Cleaner. Has always been very effective at removing crud.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I bought the wife a silver convertible electric razor for a car.

I have also just bought 200$ worth of detailing supplies because I haven't detailed in 2 years (yes I am shameful.)

God help me.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

ratbert90 posted:

I have also just bought 200$ worth of detailing supplies because I haven't detailed in 2 years (yes I am shameful.)

God help me.

It's ok. My dirty pleasure is taking the brush and scrubbing in an old beater with already terrible paint.

Share your detailing sins itt.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Etrips posted:

Is there a good reference that someone can direct me to that can show me step by step what a good detailing process should look like and what each step does specifically? Also what is a good entry level orbital polisher one can get?

Yes please. I need to do the same after a purge of old/terrible/useless supplies from the recesses of the garage.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ratbert90 posted:

This has to be a Pontiac Solstice, right? It's what I think of whenever I see one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Larrymer posted:

This has to be a Pontiac Solstice, right? It's what I think of whenever I see one.

Yes, yes it is. 2007 NA, but she's quite happy with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://imgur.com/gallery/fRlCQ

That's an impressive before and after.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

InitialDave posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/fRlCQ

That's an impressive before and after.

So was that a flood car? How else could it get like that?

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

amenenema posted:

So was that a flood car? How else could it get like that?

It has to be. Besides some places looking like dried puddles, a car that neglected would have wear and tear on things like the upholstery to go with it. It would have some spots where things were touched habitually in normal use, skin oil attracting more dirt there. Dirt rubbed off in other places.

e. AND ANOTHER THING...Lets say a person could somehow let a car get that dirty. Is it possible that they keep the body that straight? Not a chance.

Bogatyr fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 17, 2016

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Good point bogat. He says in the imgur comments that it isn't a flood car, I think he's full of poo poo.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Looks like a habitual Burner's car. Dust gets everywhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There IS significant wear on a lot of the silver on the door pieces. There's also no clear line that would indicate a high water mark and there's no way anything there would be salvageable if it was completely submerged.

I have seen people destroy their cars this badly before. I have no trouble believing this is due to abuse and neglect.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Some rear end in a top hat opened their car door into mine and put a nice ding and left some paint on mine. It's a BRZ with really thin paint. I have a touch-up pen ready to use to cover up the paint that they removed, but what's the best way to remove the paint transfer that their door left? I don't have a buffer but I have a pretty nice electric drill.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

two_beer_bishes posted:

Some rear end in a top hat opened their car door into mine and put a nice ding and left some paint on mine. It's a BRZ with really thin paint. I have a touch-up pen ready to use to cover up the paint that they removed, but what's the best way to remove the paint transfer that their door left? I don't have a buffer but I have a pretty nice electric drill.

Magic Eraser.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've used rubbing compound in the past but the Magic Eraser is probably a safer starting place.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Magic Eraser.

First try some clay or a nanoskin sponge. Magic Eraser is pretty harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ratbert90 posted:

First try some clay or a nanoskin sponge. Magic Eraser is pretty harsh.

I just don't see Magic Erasers as harsh. They are my first go-to with marks or mars on cars or bikes... it's all in how you use it. Don't push like a monkey and take your time.