Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

BITBOX claims to be the future of board game storage, with a simplistic design that can hold up to 16 games per box. As much as I like my game boxes, nothing irks me more than trying to painstakingly balance them on top of each other. Plus trying to carry a crap-ton of boxes to friend's houses is always a recipe for disaster.

Hey, this looks pretty cool. I could probably use it for more than just games, maybe a place to store some of my hobby tools, and...

SilverMike posted:

It has all those X-friendly shipping badges, but I can't exactly call $25 + $23 or $29 + $52 for basic pledges shipped to Canada 'friendly'. If you're not in the US you'll probably skip it on the S&H alone.

Base level pledge: $29
Shipping to Taiwan: $70

And yet, somehow, despite being "EU Friendly", it's $72 to ship there (and Norway, Mainland China) and $75 to ship to the Kiwis. I guess for once I'm not getting the worst end of the deal here! But I think maybe I'll stick to having boxes, or possibly raiding an IKEA one of these days.

e: apparently the problem is they're shipping everything fully assembled, so the dimensional weight is killing things.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

YF19pilot posted:

e: apparently the problem is they're shipping everything fully assembled, so the dimensional weight is killing things.

They did say they're looking into better shipping rates outside the US in their first update. But I think they're going to have to figure out some way to make the base disassemble for shipping.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Looks like now there's an official Evil Dead 2 board game. I'm guessing this one's going to do well solely because of the official Ash minis and dice bag if nothing else.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

New Barrowmaze Kickstarter. Killer deal on both campaigns since its Canadian dollars.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/843284272/barrowmaze-the-forbidden-caverns-of-the-archaia

Cross posted from OSR thread.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

They did say they're looking into better shipping rates outside the US in their first update. But I think they're going to have to figure out some way to make the base disassemble for shipping.

I can understand the reasoning for shipping assembled - it ensures the completed product is at the level of quality that you want your customers to experience. Otherwise, if end-users have to assemble the product, there might be complaints about the finished product not being as good as promised (because the end-user was an idiot with two left hands and all thumbs). I know that if I want one, assembled or disassembled or even with lowered shipping, that I'll probably have to pay at least the cost of the product to have it shipped here. It's just the nature of the beast for living on this island and a reality I have to live with (so I'd be fine with $30 base + $30 shipping because I'm not getting it cheaper without building it myself). Otherwise, I wonder if they're trying to ship things too quickly (like USPS Priority or something), maybe if they looked into slower shipping options, then shipping to the EU and Canada would become cheaper. I've worked for a company shipping things into Canada, and I know you can get comparable rates if you know who to ship through.

But, perhaps these guys are a bit too new and too small to know that consumer-front UPS, FedEx, and USPS aren't the only options for shipping...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

Looks like now there's an official Evil Dead 2 board game. I'm guessing this one's going to do well solely because of the official Ash minis and dice bag if nothing else.

Jesus Christ, it seems like everyone can grab a hold of an old movie license and make it into a boardgame these days.

The Warriors: Turf War is a new campaign based on the 1979 cult classic, The Warriors. Players pick a gang to play as (currently the Warriors, the Rogues, the Furies, and the Lizzies) and try to win turf from their opponents in a "best of 3". Each gang has five members with five roles, all based off of characters from the movie. Their pledge tiers are kinda weird; the early bird tier is the same price as the base game tier, but you get the stretch goals included. $110 gets you the game with stretch goals included normally. I'm a fan of both Evil Dead and The Warriors, but I'm not sure I have enough friends who'd want to play these.

Now excuse me while I go and try to convert the Neverending Story to a CCG.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jesus Christ, it seems like everyone can grab a hold of an old movie license and make it into a boardgame these days.

The Warriors: Turf War is a new campaign based on the 1979 cult classic, The Warriors. Players pick a gang to play as (currently the Warriors, the Rogues, the Furies, and the Lizzies) and try to win turf from their opponents in a "best of 3". Each gang has five members with five roles, all based off of characters from the movie. Their pledge tiers are kinda weird; the early bird tier is the same price as the base game tier, but you get the stretch goals included. $110 gets you the game with stretch goals included normally. I'm a fan of both Evil Dead and The Warriors, but I'm not sure I have enough friends who'd want to play these.

Now excuse me while I go and try to convert the Neverending Story to a CCG.

i like the Warriors but yeah, nah.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just got around to watching the video for Evil Dead 2; looks like there's player elimination. So that sucks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'd be down with getting some Baseball Furies minis but those renders don't look very good.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Looks like Chaosium is putting out a new edition of the Prince Valiant RPG.

quote:

Outstanding for both beginners and experienced players, Prince Valiant® The Storytelling Game is a roleplaying game set in the Arthurian world of Hal Foster’s masterpiece comic strip. The game is by world-renowned game designer Greg Stafford (Runequest, King Arthur Pendragon). Like the majority of Greg’s games, the original edition of this game released in 1989 was published by Chaosium, Inc.

This storytelling game features deliberately simple mechanics to make it more accessible to younger players. The ease of play allows players to cooperate and enjoy the social activity of collectively creating a story, a pastime made easier as players take turns as the Storyteller.

Hal Foster’s comic strip has been praised for its art, story, historicity, and humanity. Prince Valiant and the other characters are brought to life through Foster’s storytelling and stunning artwork. Greg Stafford vividly communicates the wonder and adventure of Prince Valiant® in this new edition of his storytelling game, and players of the game find themselves continuing the traditions of the oral storytellers of old.

It's already funded. Stretch goals are additional in-book adventures written by famous game designers.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

The Warriors: Turf War

Lost me at "movement dice"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Good news and bad news regarding international shipping rates with Bitbox:

International Shipping Update posted:

We have been overwhelmed by the support from the international community during the launch of BITBOX. Your feedback on how to make the product better, more affordable, and more functional has been tremendous! Since launch, we have been working around the clock to try to incorporate your feedback into this campaign – specifically, to find better shipping rates.

We have some good news that we are excited to share. We have found a way to cut our Canadian shipping rates in half! The reward tiers have been updated to reflect the change. Please take a look and take advantage of these newly improved rates!

Our passion for BITBOX and putting product in the hands of people all over the globe is still our #1 priority, but we have realized (despite our best efforts) that we do not currently have a solution that is more affordable for our international backers.Therefore, we have updated shipping options to include US and Canada only.

What about international backers who have already pledged? We will fulfill all 49 of your pledges at the pledge amount in which you backed. We sincerely apologize to those who are unable to back this project and THANK YOU for your support. We are developing plans for affordable European and Australian distribution that will launch in early 2017.

Will Canadians get refunded shipping charges they pledged to reflect the new lower rates? Yes. All Canadian backers will receive a refund post campaign for the difference between shipping amounts. All other pledge levels now reflect the new lower rates.

Should you expect shipping prices to get even better during this campaign? We continue to work on improving shipping options for all of our backers. However, it is unlikely that the rates from our shipping partners will change. We have evaluated nearly every option available (including knock down flat) and the rates offered are the lowest available.

So now they are no longer accepting international orders. US and Canada only.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Eloy Lasanta is kickstarting a supplement for Ninja Crusader about playing the Empire. Stretch goals include a lot of other miscellaneous supplements. If you liked Ninja Crusade, you should give it a look.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Eloy Lasanta is one of the kindest and friendliest voices I've seen in gaming and I can say, having backed several of his previous kickstarters, is an absolute pro at nailing delivery really close to where he estimates he'll be delivering.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Got my copy of Vast today:

Apparently they'd changed the name from Trove, which is disappointing because Trove is a much better name. Anyway I am pretty hyped to play some knight vs. goblins vs. dragon vs. cave asymmetric free for all!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

abardam posted:

Apparently they'd changed the name from Trove, which is disappointing because Trove is a much better name. Anyway I am pretty hyped to play some knight vs. goblins vs. dragon vs. cave asymmetric free for all!

Yes, but it's a better name that's associated with a Trion free-to-play MMO and Patrick didn't want to have to worry about possible legal action or confusion. I think Vast still works pretty well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

abardam posted:

Got my copy of Vast today:

I'd really like to hear how this game is. It sounded pretty interesting, but I didn't want to take the risk on Kickstarter. Good to hear that it actually pulled through!

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

GrandpaPants posted:

I'd really like to hear how this game is. It sounded pretty interesting, but I didn't want to take the risk on Kickstarter. Good to hear that it actually pulled through!

From an initial reading of the rules, there's 5 different roles with 5 different goals and 5 different sets of mechanics. It sure looks like a headache to learn, not to mention teach. It's stuffed with variants for what seems like every combination of players from solo to 5 player. This is gonna trip me up, I know it

e: The thief is this mega-jobber who dies whenever anyone else gets a good look at him, which is hilarious

abardam fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 30, 2016

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The mechanics have probably been tweaked since I playtested it but I found it pretty straightforward, honestly. That said, I had the benefit of the designer being the one explaining the rules. And the -strategy- takes a little while to figure out. For each role.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

abardam posted:

Yeah, they were worried about infringing on an MMO's name, so they changed it to be safe.

http://www.trionworlds.com/trove/

Edit: Duplicate info. Hurray!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Inkwell ideas is kickstarting A new version of Hexographer. The pledge levels seem kinda weird, though; You can get Hexographer 2 for $35 as a pledge level, or go get a Hexographer license now and pledge for the upgrade.

It's worth pointing out that Hexographer is currently half off at their webstore, so even if you don't want to pledge it's probably worth getting the base software at $16.

http://inkwellideas.com/store/hexographer/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Inkwell ideas is kickstarting A new version of Hexographer. The pledge levels seem kinda weird, though; You can get Hexographer 2 for $35 as a pledge level, or go get a Hexographer license now and pledge for the upgrade.

It's worth pointing out that Hexographer is currently half off at their webstore, so even if you don't want to pledge it's probably worth getting the base software at $16.

http://inkwellideas.com/store/hexographer/

16 dollars for an icon set, jeez.

I'm pledged for the 19 dollar level because I like Hexographer but their DLC prices are absurd.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So last week I mentioned a couple of Kickstarters that were going on. Some, like Super Powered Smash Masters, ended prematurely, a couple finished, while most are just chugging along. Creative Differences: A Game Dev Story is close to getting funded, with £2,507 of their £2,660 goal ($3,312 of $3,539) and only 3 days to go. Roots of Mali is almost halfway to their goal, with Fr 11,211 of their Fr 25,000 goal ($11,402 of $25,426) and 14 days to go. Fire of Eidolon has doubled its funding, with $25,020 of their $12,500 goal and still have 12 days to go. The Bitbox may have lost a bunch of potential backers with the elimination of EU-shipping, but they are still going strong, with $58,354 of their $25,000 goal and still have 24 days to go. There's also the The Warriors: Turf War that just started a few days ago and has got $24,397 of their $100,000 goal, but that can be easily summed up with:

signalnoise posted:

Lost me at "movement dice"

CHOPS is a board game based around Rock and Roll music. Players form bands and try to earn cash and fame to make it to the top. Sounds simple, but looks complicated. It has a lot of cards, and lot of things you can do during your turn. This isn't the devs first rodeo; with at least three other games released. They're US-based and have $2,391 of their $1,000 goal, with 24 days to go.

Madhouse Pandemonium is a game that is based around collecting mental disorders through matching dice. So I guess it's like Yahtzee? Maybe if the devs talked more about their game (instead of showing it without explanation) it wouldn't be as confusing, but then again, maybe that's the point. The devs are US-based and have $375 of their $4,000 goal, with 39 days to go.

Coldwater Crown is a "strategic game of tournament fishing in the North Atlantic for 1-4 players, ages 13+", and "a mid-weight euro-style game featuring a unique take on worker placement with a puzzle-solving twist". That's a lot of words to say "we're a fishing board game". Also just ends up sounding pretentious as gently caress. Game looks interesting, but even the "how to play" section is just as confusing. The devs are US-based, with $8,684 of their $10,000 goal and 9 days left.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Big announcement from the makers of the Armored CoreMech Command RTS board game:

quote:

First, we have decided to change the name of the game to “Mech Command RTS”. Here is why:

The license holders for the game franchise have final approval authority over everything that is produced. We have reason to be concerned that our planned stretch rewards and other game content will be delayed as it goes through a complex approval process. We also underestimated the degree of miscommunication caused by the language barrier as we work with the license holders in Japan.

This name change removes any uncertainty and allows us to deliver the entire game on schedule. Now is a good time to reiterate our anytime refund policy: We will be providing refunds for any reason, anytime, even after you receive your rewards.

So yeah, you should probably bail out now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Big announcement from the makers of the Armored CoreMech Command RTS board game:
LOL, hooooly poo poo. Geez, could you imagine if the Dark Souls KS made the same announcement now after taking $5 million?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Kicktraq has it dropping pretty precipitously now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

So basically they gave up the thing that lets them make the fancy miniatures that are the main selling point to a game like this in the first place.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wow, way to negotiate in bad faith with your backers and the license holders. After doing something like that I'll never give those guys any money.

Edit: That also raises the question of whether they legally can even continue the campaign since all their promo material up until the announcement has been branded.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Wouldn't they have to redo all the designs, molds, logos, etc.? Or are they not even there yet?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wouldn't they have to redo all the designs, molds, logos, etc.? Or are they not even there yet?

Depends on the terms of their license and whether or not they completely dropped it or are just not using the name/branding. If they got the designs in a separate deal they can still use the figs... but judging from how these idiots are operating (never EVER work in a foreign language through an interpreter on a deal like this, get a bilingual on staff) I'm betting this is going to crash and burn even if they do keep enough money for their funding goal.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

That's what I wondered - as I see it, they don't have a single miniature design to call their own at this point despite still showing it on their campaign page. All they have is some board game mechanics for representing robot combat. I don't think these guys are done making unforced errors just yet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They've posted redone box art and I think some of the models they're showing have been tweaked since last time? But yes, they absolutely have to go back and change pretty much every iconic or branded Armored Core Thing now. What's really amazing in all of this isn't that they lost the license somehow, which would be regrettable but understandable...Marvel suddenly pulled their license from Margaret Weiss Productions in the middle of several Marvel Heroic Roleplaying projects for instance, giving them all of a week to shut everything down, license holders can do weird things...but instead they voluntarily dropped the license because they underestimated how hard it would be working with a license holder that spoke a different language than they did. Yeah.

In other news, the chat thread pointed out the existence of yet another game attempting to cash in on the Cards Against Humanity craze of "ironic shitposting, but in real life" games with A Jew, A Black, A Christian, and A Gay Walk Into a Bar, a game about stereotypes and how the world has become too politically correct these days. I'm only bringing it up again here because in the time since it went live it's acquired a whole three comments, and let's see what they have to say:

Fotios Zemenides. Superbacker posted:

Is absolutely hysterical, can't wait for expansion decks!

Robert Balick & Randy Karey, Creator posted:

Ha! Thanks. Yes, we've got several in the works. Got any recommendations you'd start with?

Jan Franco posted:

Regarding expansions, S J Ws, BLM, and 3rd wave feminism.

Hot stuff!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wish Cryptozoic wouldn't use their updates to advertise their other KIckstarters. I backed the Ghostbusters board game, I don't want to hear that your Walking Dead KS is ending soon.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

I wish Cryptozoic wouldn't use their updates to advertise their other KIckstarters. I backed the Ghostbusters board game, I don't want to hear that your Walking Dead KS is ending soon.

I can understand an update alerting you to an upcoming (or just started) project, but not when the project has been going on for weeks now. :psyduck: They must be really desperate.

VVV EDIT: Wow, that's really pathetic. VVV

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 1, 2016

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

I can understand an update alerting you to an upcoming (or just started) project, but not when the project has been going on for weeks now. :psyduck: They must be really desperate.

They've posted three updates in the Hex kickstarter about the Walking Dead project and only two of their past seven updates have had anything to do with Hex--the other two were for Ghostbusters II. Thanks Cryptozoic!

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
Just unsubscribe from notifications for Kickstarters you've backed that have been completely filled. I did that for Hex a few months ago and don't really feel the loss at all.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Journey Fraternity posted:

Just unsubscribe from notifications for Kickstarters you've backed that have been completely filled. I did that for Hex a few months ago and don't really feel the loss at all.

Could you please take a screen snip of where this option is

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

signalnoise posted:

Could you please take a screen snip of where this option is

https://www.kickstarter.com/settings/notifications, and scroll down to "Account Notifications". Uncheck what you're no longer interested in.

The "Don't want to receive updates from this project? That's okay, you can unsubscribe." blurb at the bottom of Kickstarter project emails does the same thing on a per-project basis if you don't want to go into your account settings every time.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Journey Fraternity posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/settings/notifications, and scroll down to "Account Notifications". Uncheck what you're no longer interested in.

The "Don't want to receive updates from this project? That's okay, you can unsubscribe." blurb at the bottom of Kickstarter project emails does the same thing on a per-project basis if you don't want to go into your account settings every time.

Thanks for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I ended up unsubscribing from a different KS I backed precisely because of this. When you spend more time shilling out for another product I have no interest in rather than offering any information about the thing I gave you money for, we have an issue.