Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I've got a P90 in a closet somewhere I can use that's okay

this thing will definitely not work at any acceptable speed without a FPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i remember playing dark forces on our family mac that had like a 66mhz motorola 68k with no fpu. don't think it ever topped 30 fps

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i remember playing dark forces on our family mac that had like a 66mhz motorola 68k with no fpu. don't think it ever topped 30 fps

I played the Duke Nukem 3D demo on a 486SX2 and it ran at about 4fps

doing some graphics research and apparently A) John Carmack's fast inverse square root is slower than just doing the floating point math in SSE processors B) I finally know what the gently caress it does

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

code:
i  = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 );               // what the gently caress? 

i think the comment should've been self explanatory

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

it's even better with the line above

code:
i  = * ( long * ) &y;                       // evil floating point bit level hacking
i  = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 );               // what the gently caress? 

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
That remains one of the cleverer things I've ever seen.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's also obsolete these days because there are INVSQRT instructions now.

Still cool though!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

those instructions probably perform even darker magic

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

It's also obsolete these days because there are INVSQRT instructions now.

Still cool though!

whoa buddy you think watcom knows what SSE is? it barely knows what MMX is

though apparently someone's built a newer fancier assembler compatible with open watcom that supports all intel's latest bells and whistles and you can find include files that let you do inline 3DNow! with the regular one if you really want to

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, apache was super easy. I just opened up httpd.config and just mashed on my keyboard until CORS was enabled it was very easy and obvious.

Apache :derp:

lighttpd and nginx are my current preference for easier configurations. For Apache you just have to look at the completely different default configurations in RHEL and Debian to see how much of a mess it is.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol, a new hire asked why there's no tampons or pads in the womens' rooms on the company message board and the first 10 responses were male developers going "why don't you consider part of your salary a stipend for bringing your own". lol. mansplaining is real y'all.

If only the boss did some mansplaining to the 10 children for donations to the new sanitary pad fund.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 1, 2016

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Apache uses the totally obvious convention of loading conf.d/* in order of file name and this will change the behavior of your server

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

scanning production jQuery code and gently caress it uses truthy statements a lot

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Apache uses the totally obvious convention of loading conf.d/* in order of file name and this will change the behavior of your server

This is also exactly what the nginx found in EPEL does by default on CentOS

Your conf files are each supposed to contain one vhost. If reordering these files changes the behaviour of your server you dun hosed up

Also dropfiles are a very common pattern.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr Dog posted:

This is also exactly what the nginx found in EPEL does by default on CentOS

Your conf files are each supposed to contain one vhost. If reordering these files changes the behaviour of your server you dun hosed up

i mostly use apache for spoofing things in my dev environment, so i'm absolutely doing it wrong.

i think i just need to read a light how-to or something, because ive just been using the httpd docs for the last couple years and i still hate having to change anything,

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

rotating 256x256 texture in the background layer. actual speed in dosbox lol

i think sin/cos lookup tables might help here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Mr Dog posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

lighttpd and nginx are my current preference for easier configurations.

lighttpd and nginx are both fine but the reason they are "easier" to configure is that they don't do anything

you take the very obvious default configs or you gently caress right off

MrMoo posted:

For Apache you just have to look at the completely different default configurations in RHEL and Debian to see how much of a mess it is.

redhat uses the default config file layout that comes as an example with apache. it works just fine on any os.

debian uses some hosed up poo poo you have to drop acid to understand. i don't see how this is apache's fault. step #1 in using apache on debian: replace the hosed up garbage config dir with a copy from redhat or upstream apache.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

HoboMan posted:

scanning production jQuery code and gently caress it uses truthy statements a lot

is there something wrong with that?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Wheany posted:

is there something wrong with that?

"false"

(it's true)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

gonadic io posted:

"false"

(it's true)

uh-huh?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

implicitly converting stuff to booleans is terrible and never should have caught on

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if "false" should be a compiler error because strings arent booleans

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
well, i'm sure jquery will accept your pull request where you change all the if(option) blocks to if(option === true) {} else throw "That's not a boolean, you dumbass"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

fart simpson posted:

implicitly converting stuff to booleans is terrible and never should have caught on

blame C

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
that moment when you try to find the section of K&R which explains Booleans

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ok after upgrading all our poo poo to the latest versions of everything there is one particular page that will not render in ie9. it works fine in chrome and if i view source in ie the html is there. i have been working on this for a full day now and i am still completely stumped, maybe someone has an idea?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ugh sourcetree got even worse with the latest update somehow. did you terrible fuckin programmers ever come to a consensus re: what's the best gui git client??

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
bash

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

GameCube posted:

ugh sourcetree got even worse with the latest update somehow. did you terrible fuckin programmers ever come to a consensus re: what's the best gui git client??

**why would you need a gui for git?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 2, 2016

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

GameCube posted:

tower's alright but $$$.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I would you need a gui for git?

are you using speech recognition for you're posts :pwn:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

GameCube posted:

lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HoboMan posted:

ok after upgrading all our poo poo to the latest versions of everything
an underling did this in nuget a couple weeks ago and i had to ream him a new rear end in a top hat for it. gently caress.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GameCube posted:

tortoisehg is fine

oh wait git

tortoisegit

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
git-gui and gitk

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
whining about truthiness in the jquery source is pointless. truthiness is bound to be faster than converting and checking all the time.

you can just think of an if condition as "is this Boolean value true, or is this number nonzero, or is this string or list non-empty"

JavaScript has much bigger sins than truthiness

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

paradite 3 hours ago | unvote [-]

Interesting fact that I recently came across:
bower and many other npm packages, has some dependencies that eventually depends on a package called "wordwrap".
And this "wordwrap" package somehow has its test folder exposed in npm.
The result:
Every single person using bower would have one or more copies of In Praise of Idleness by Bertrand Russell on your local machine, depending on how many of your projects has a npm dependency of this package:
https://github.com/substack/node-wordwrap/blob/master/test/i...
Don't believe me? Try searching for "In Praise of Idleness" in Spotlight.
Edit: Someone had already sent a PR about this on GitHub: https://github.com/substack/node-wordwrap/pull/14

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

npm keeps the comedy rolling in. can't say that about most programming language package depots, can ya? npm supremacy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

back to the command line for me. all I use sourcetree for is quickly visualizing some stuff and I think tortoise is fine for that too. oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fritz posted:

paradite 3 hours ago | unvote [-]

Interesting fact that I recently came across:
bower and many other npm packages, has some dependencies that eventually depends on a package called "wordwrap".
And this "wordwrap" package somehow has its test folder exposed in npm.
The result:
Every single person using bower would have one or more copies of In Praise of Idleness by Bertrand Russell on your local machine, depending on how many of your projects has a npm dependency of this package:
https://github.com/substack/node-wordwrap/blob/master/test/i...
Don't believe me? Try searching for "In Praise of Idleness" in Spotlight.
Edit: Someone had already sent a PR about this on GitHub: https://github.com/substack/node-wordwrap/pull/14

lmao Linux users are idiots

• Locked thread