Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

vuk83 posted:

So me and my wife are buying a new apartment, thats being built, and going to be ready in march.
We have the option of upgrading some of the appliances, but dont really know the quality of the new appliances.
We are thinking about upgrading
Stove top, to a kitchenaid induction top.
Oven to a kitchenaid oven
And combined fridge/freezer to a kitchenaid model.
Is kitchenaid a good brand for major appliances?

Induction on stove top is cool but get an electric oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I think its an electric.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

vuk83 posted:

So me and my wife are buying a new apartment, thats being built, and going to be ready in march.
We have the option of upgrading some of the appliances, but dont really know the quality of the new appliances.

I think it depends on the model TBH.

We were buying a bunch of appliances at once to replace old ones in the house we bought, so we ended up getting a short subscription to consumer reports in addition to doing a bunch of other research ourselves. We specifically wanted gas burners and a double oven, ideally electric and that led us to Kitchenaid, as they had a hybrid/dual oven model that was highly recommended. All in all we've been happy with it, although we did have a gas valve break inside the unit and was a fairly costly repair for an appliance less than two years old. For what it's worth, the guy who repaired it said he had never seen that part break before on anything similar.

Refrigerators, we found a nice one at sears (kenmore elite or whatever) that again, was consistently well reviewed, had double doors and freezer on the bottom. We were more limited in our choices here because of dimensions, our kitchen had a relatively narrow spot to fit it in, and most other models that had the other features we wanted were an inch or two too wide to fit. Regardless, we've still been happy with it, no issues there. I don't remember much about the Kitchenaid models for refrigerators.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

vuk83 posted:

Get a subscription to Consumer Reports, they have good testing and ratings on appliances and even within a brand quality can vary greatly from one model to the next.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Get a subscription to Consumer Reports, they have good testing and ratings on appliances and even within a brand quality can vary greatly from one model to the next.

Yep, Consumer Reports. Local libraries usually have copies too, if you're cheap frugal.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I got my victorinox fibrox 8" chef knife and this is easily the sharpest thing I've ever held.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

I got my victorinox fibrox 8" chef knife and this is easily the sharpest thing I've ever held.

Mainly because they sharpen at 15° angles

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Question: What are the major differences between this KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Blue Steel stand mixer vs. this (apparently identical) one in Cobalt Blue? Other than the fact that the Cobalt Blue one is cheaper, comes in more colors, and is made of zinc instead of stainless steel?

EDIT: It looks like the Cobalt Blue one's arms are raised a little bit higher, but in terms of performance, which one is likely to be better? Or are they both the same?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 26, 2016

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Question: What are the major differences between this KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Blue Steel stand mixer vs. this (apparently identical) one in Cobalt Blue? Other than the fact that the Cobalt Blue one is cheaper, comes in more colors, and is made of zinc instead of stainless steel?

EDIT: It looks like the Cobalt Blue one's arms are raised a little bit higher, but in terms of performance, which one is likely to be better? Or are they both the same?

I think they're identical except color. The arms are raised because it's the bowl lift model; the cobalt one has the bowl all the way down and the Blue Steel one has the bowl all the way up.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

No difference, Amazon listings can be hosed up sometimes, especially when there are third-party sellers involved: Note the "Blue Steel" one is a third-party seller fulfilled by Amazon and the "Cobalt Blue" is sold by Amazon directly.

The arm height difference is because that's a bowl-lift model: instead of tilting the head to get the bowl out, you raise and lower the bowl. One of those pictures has the bowl raised, the other has it lowered.

e:f,b

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The arms being in different positions just means the bowl lifting mechanism was in a different position when the photo was taken. Anyway, I don't know why Amazon has two different listings with different color options, but both of them are the same model---KP26M1 is the part of the model number that's common to all of the Pro 600 mixers, and the rest of the model number is a colour code. There are a couple of different Pro 600 variants---like the ones with a glass bowl---that have a different model number prefix, but both of the ones you link are of the same model.

Several years ago there were two variants of the Pro 600, one with a metal gear housing and the other with a plastic housing. There wasn't any way to tell this from the model number, however, and I believe they all have the metal housing now (they made the change several years ago and I haven't really been keeping track of it since).

Edit: beaten twice, but I supplied more information. So there.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So they're identical, then?

Good, because I like the Cobalt Blue color a lot better. :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Goon-approved 12" stainless skillet < $50 US?

I had a 12" Farberware from Walmart or something, nothing fancy but it was okay. I left it on the stove for like an hour with the burner on (oops) so I kind of need a new one.

The Cuisinart set in the OP doesn't have a 12" pan, and the Calphalon set isn't available anymore. Is there a standard one to buy online or should I just go to TJ Maxx?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I had a 12" Farberware from Walmart or something, nothing fancy but it was okay. I left it on the stove for like an hour with the burner on (oops) so I kind of need a new one.

The Cuisinart set in the OP doesn't have a 12" pan, and the Calphalon set isn't available anymore. Is there a standard one to buy online or should I just go to TJ Maxx?

If you can wait a couple weeks for shipping, give this a look through. They are going out of business and the sales are pretty good. Searched 'stainless pan' for you.
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/search?term=stainless%20pan

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Go to TJ Maxx/Marshalls/wherever and get the Cuisinart tri-clad pan. Probably a little less than $50 and it's good poo poo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How much labor/hand-work can a good stand mixer remove from the process of making bread, if any? I'd like to at least be able to make my own bread, but I don't have a lot of counter-space for poo poo like kneading and pin-rolling and the like, and my roommate might freak out if I cover the counter with flour like some recipes call for. I'm kinda looking for excuses to buy that KitchenAid stand mixer next time I have the money.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

How much labor/hand-work can a good stand mixer remove from the process of making bread, if any? I'd like to at least be able to make my own bread, but I don't have a lot of counter-space for poo poo like kneading and pin-rolling and the like, and my roommate might freak out if I cover the counter with flour like some recipes call for. I'm kinda looking for excuses to buy that KitchenAid stand mixer next time I have the money.

Basically they knead the dough, nothing more. It does dramatically reduce the amount of effort necessary, but it's not like you can use a KitchenAid for a rolling pin.

If your primary use for a stand mixer is bread, I'd suggest a Bosch instead of a KitchenAid. Otherwise, a KA is more general purpose.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Basically they knead the dough, nothing more. It does dramatically reduce the amount of effort necessary, but it's not like you can use a KitchenAid for a rolling pin.

If your primary use for a stand mixer is bread, I'd suggest a Bosch instead of a KitchenAid. Otherwise, a KA is more general purpose.

I mean my primary use for it would be general purpose so this works good for me. I just want it to be capable of making bread too. :)

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

I mean my primary use for it would be general purpose so this works good for me. I just want it to be capable of making bread too. :)

I got Flour Water Yeast Salt at the recommendation of goons and his bread making methods don't require a stand mixer or kneading, just a 12qt Cambro and time. And a Dutch oven.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Man I'm having a real hard time not buying that stand mixer. Even though I've never made bread before and I don't normally do stuff that requires a mixer.

I guess I could make cookies or cake with it, but I shouldn't be eating that stuff right now.

I'm pretty sure my dad would love a stand mixer in yellow. He makes bread and pastries all the time, and I'm pretty sure he'd like all of the attachments it has. Maybe I'll talk to mom about buying one for his next birthday.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you like to bake, buy the poo poo out of a KitchenAid stand mixer. It's expensive but it's one of the best things I've ever bought. I like to bake but I wouldn't bake nearly as much as I do without my KA. But unless you need it urgently, wait for a sale. It'll be close to $100 less.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

guppy posted:

If you like to bake, buy the poo poo out of a KitchenAid stand mixer. It's expensive but it's one of the best things I've ever bought. I like to bake but I wouldn't bake nearly as much as I do without my KA. But unless you need it urgently, wait for a sale. It'll be close to $100 less.

Yeah that's what I want to do. I'm just wondering when a sale is going to be.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Yeah that's what I want to do. I'm just wondering when a sale is going to be.

Meh they usually go on sale once a month or two and someone will usually post about it. It's been a few weeks since the last one.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
IMHO, a stand mixer is one of those things that If you have the money and the room, go for it. I only pull mine out 5-6x a year but it makes things a billion times easier when I do.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Semi-dumb question: I want to get myself a cast iron pan (only have an enameled one right now). What'd be the preferrable size if I were to only have one cast iron pan? My big stove heating are just short of 9", so I dunno if I should get 9" or if 10 1/4" would still be able to conduct heat to the edges.

mewbert
Jun 12, 2011
hatsuune miku wishes you

a happy and safe halloween

Jan posted:

Semi-dumb question: I want to get myself a cast iron pan (only have an enameled one right now). What'd be the preferrable size if I were to only have one cast iron pan? My big stove heating are just short of 9", so I dunno if I should get 9" or if 10 1/4" would still be able to conduct heat to the edges.

You could do the 10 1/4" one just fine, that measures the top, it's not quite as wide at the bottom.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dammit I keep clicking on that Amazon link waiting for that mixer to go on sale, but it never does.

I've also started reading the Bread thread.

What's wrong with me? :cry:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dammit I keep clicking on that Amazon link waiting for that mixer to go on sale, but it never does.

Can't wait to see pictures of your smoked bread

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

You can use camelcamelcamel.com to get an email when a specific Amazon product goes on sale. However, if you want cheap, you're better off looking into Refurbished ones I think.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ I prefer new. I'll probably buy it in a month or so if it doesn't go on sale before that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can't wait to see pictures of your smoked bread

How did you know my cookbook had a smoked bread recipe? :tinfoil:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

^^^ I prefer new. I'll probably buy it in a month or so if it doesn't go on sale before that.

You might also check out Ovestock.com and Kohl's for price comparisons. Or the KitchenAid store outlet section.

Anyway, the best time to buy small appliances is in November; it's when the prices tend to dip the most before the new model year.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuck-Errant posted:

You might also check out Ovestock.com and Kohl's for price comparisons. Or the KitchenAid store outlet section.

I just checked Overstock.com and it's over $100 more expensive on there. Same with Kohl's.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Anyway, the best time to buy small appliances is in November; it's when the prices tend to dip the most before the new model year.

Yeah I think I'll buy it earlier than that. I don't want to wait until November to buy a mixer.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 1, 2016

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I just bought the 4.5qt (non artisan) Kitchenaid at Costco for $199. They had the 6qt for ~299 (discounted from $340~).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Aquila posted:

I just bought the 4.5qt (non artisan) Kitchenaid at Costco for $199. They had the 6qt for ~299 (discounted from $340~).

A note on this: be careful when buying the bowl-lift kitchenaid mixers from Costco, as some (all?) of the bowl-lift models they sell have a slightly differently shaped bowl than the standard ones and require different attachments.

I think the thing to look for is the rim of the bowl - if it's flat, it'll fit the standard accessories. If it tapers out, it's one of the special snowflake models.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also, the Costco ones will be labelled as a "6000 HD" rather than as a Professional 600. They're apparently quieter than the Pro 600, but as Arcsech mentioned - the attachments won't work since Costco wanted a different bowl.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Canuck-Errant posted:

Also, the Costco ones will be labelled as a "6000 HD" rather than as a Professional 600. They're apparently quieter than the Pro 600, but as Arcsech mentioned - the attachments won't work since Costco wanted a different bowl.

More likely Costco wanted its wholesale price to be lower than the standard model. They're probably more quiet due to different (and probably not as hard wearing) plastics gearbox.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Horse Clocks posted:

More likely Costco wanted its wholesale price to be lower than the standard model. They're probably more quiet due to different (and probably not as hard wearing) plastics gearbox.

I thought the "HD" stood for heavy duty.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought the "HD" stood for heavy duty.
It's allows you to Instagram your cookies in hi-def.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

None of the lifts have a plastic box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Wait so the Costco ones are like the old Hobart ones? poo poo, I'd have gotten that rather than the pro model I got. Even if it meant I had to buy costco only attachments. drat it.

Edit: Well poo poo. It turns out that yeah it totally loving is like the old Hobart ones. Get that one dude.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 3, 2016