Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

FactsAreUseless posted:

Took this photo today.

Chemtrails do kill, they're just not real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Luna Was Here posted:

Assange is saying its stuff thats like, really really bad this time.

assange doesn't really have any credibility though, he's said he has a grudge against hillary so the question is why hasn't he already released this damaging info if he has it?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Took this photo today.

That's a twist ending worthy of an M. Night Shyamalan film.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

assange doesn't really have any credibility though, he's said he has a grudge against hillary so the question is why hasn't he already released this damaging info if he has it?

The FBI already indicted her due to the info that they leaked just like he said, maybe he just wants to take it easy on her for a bit instead of owning her super bad over and over

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Another important stat from that Gallup poll

81% of democrats/democratic leaners said the speech made them more likely. Only 9% less likely

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

A vote for Johnson isn't a vote for Trump at least!

Yeah, but these people are left-leaning. Hell one of them was gay. So there was zero chance she was going to vote for Trump anyways. I was trying to get her to vote Hillary.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mahoning posted:

Yeah, but these people are left-leaning. Hell one of them was gay. So there was zero chance she was going to vote for Trump anyways. I was trying to get her to vote Hillary.

The best way I've found is to tell them that it's W Bush vs Gore 2.0, and voting for Nader was how we ended up with Bush.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone going from Bernie Sanders to Gary Johnson is 100% ignorant of one of their sets of policies and is just voting based on wanting to vote for an outsider.

It's not like he's an outsider either.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

What'd they do with Igner?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I've had luck with the Nader comparison as well, but you have to be careful with it - Nader actually did take votes away from both parties, whereas the third-party options this round seem to be leeching almost entirely off the Dems. "Identity politics" is probably the answer to "why", just look at John McCain recently.

Republicans, even the most disillusioned Republicans, are likely to still go out and pull the red lever regardless of if the candidate was St. Reagan or Trump, because the alternative, to them, is The Literal Devil and the downfall of all that is Pure and Good and Just and Murica. Lefties tend not to be quite so attached to the party, but to the policies; letting the perfect be the enemy of the good is par for the course when it comes to Dems post-90s. Disillusioned (largely white male) lefties will vote Johnson or Stein because they won't personally be affected by the awful poo poo Trump wants to do.

A left-wing-only Nader is a legitimate concern, but I haven't really come up with a good way to get it through to the Bernie-to-Johnson nutters without being accused of arzying or them just yelling LALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU EQUALLY BAD LALALALA until I get annoyed and leave.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A Winner is Jew posted:

The best way I've found is to tell them that it's W Bush vs Gore 2.0, and voting for Nader was how we ended up with Bush.

Has anyone responded to you with "NO IT'S NOT!" and if so, what was their reasoning?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Normally I wouldn't bother but I live in Ohio and so these votes actually count.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheKennedys posted:

I've had luck with the Nader comparison as well, but you have to be careful with it - Nader actually did take votes away from both parties, whereas the third-party options this round seem to be leeching almost entirely off the Dems. "Identity politics" is probably the answer to "why", just look at John McCain recently.

Really? Gary Johnson is much more popular than Jill Stein, and I was under the impression he was drawing mainly conservatives.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

Republicans, even the most disillusioned Republicans, are likely to still go out and pull the red lever regardless of if the candidate was St. Reagan or Trump, because the alternative, to them, is The Literal Devil and the downfall of all that is Pure and Good and Just and Murica. Lefties tend not to be quite so attached to the party, but to the policies; letting the perfect be the enemy of the good is par for the course when it comes to Dems post-90s. Disillusioned (largely white male) lefties will vote Johnson or Stein because they won't personally be affected by the awful poo poo Trump wants to do.

A left-wing-only Nader is a legitimate concern, but I haven't really come up with a good way to get it through to the Bernie-to-Johnson nutters without being accused of arzying or them just yelling LALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU EQUALLY BAD LALALALA until I get annoyed and leave.

I'd just point out that they have the support of the Koch brothers. That tends to be a red flag.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Really? Gary Johnson is much more popular than Jill Stein, and I was under the impression he was drawing mainly conservatives.

Might be confirmation bias since most of my Facebook feed is made up of ostensibly-liberal underpaid pot smokers, but almost everyone I've seen spewing #FeelTheJohnson have been former Berniebros, with a couple of exceptions from the NeverTrump hardcore libertarian side.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Between Johnson and Stein he's not the anti-nuclear / anti-vaxxer though which is where his popularity is coming from on the left. That he's wholly owned by the Koch brothers is another angle to work at.

iospace posted:

Has anyone responded to you with "NO IT'S NOT!" and if so, what was their reasoning?

No. Most people don't want another W in the office.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Soooo... basically Ron Paul supporters?

Yep, with no Pron Haul this year it feels like most of them ended up backing Bernie for various reasons and since he didn't get the nom, they have to find some other man they're willing to vote for.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

A Winner is Jew posted:

This usually doesn't work because these are the same people that still refuse to accept that Nader was one of the major factors in causing Gore to lose Florida.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheKennedys posted:

Might be confirmation bias since most of my Facebook feed is made up of ostensibly-liberal underpaid pot smokers, but almost everyone I've seen spewing #FeelTheJohnson have been former Berniebros, with a couple of exceptions from the NeverTrump hardcore libertarian side.

This is exactly my FB too

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The Bush/Gore race really isn't a fair comparison since both major candidates ran to the center that year. I can understand liberals not seeing a candidate who represented them in that election. This year is a very polarized election, and progressives have an opportunity to get much of their agenda put into action if Hillary wins, as opposed to basically none of it if Trump were to win. Johnson is also a poor choice for a left-wing protest vote since it's not like he's running on a left-wing platform or anything.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Worth noting that third party support is higher this early in the election, then goes rapidly down as election day comes and people realize "Oh poo poo, but really what if Trump becomes President?"

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

This is exactly my FB too

Mine as well. When called out on asking about policies of Bernie vs Johnson most had either no answer. One special response was "it's all good, I'm in the local media I know what I am talking about unlike some people" :psyduck: is going to get a lot of use before this year is out...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Night10194 posted:

Flake was just on NPR saying it is totally inappropriate for Trump to do any of this poo poo with respect to starting a fight with the Khans.

All of this is only going to make The Donald madder.

You'd think with Trump's connections to Russia someone would tell him not to pick a fight with Khans.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Soooo... basically Ron Paul supporters?

My next door neighbor has the following bumper stickers on his car:

- Ron Paul 2012
- Bernie 2016
- TRUMP: Make America Great Again
- Coexist
- Fluoride is a carcinogen. Clean water for all.
- Support Hemp Farmers
- Infowars.com

I have never spoken to him, but he is a bald white man in his early 30's. I think asking him about his stickers would result in a very weird conversation. I'm not sure how you reach all of those conclusions simultaneously.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 1, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

A Winner is Jew posted:

No. Most people don't want another W in the office.
It's ridiculous that this even needs to be said because Trump obviously outstrips W for awfulness by several orders of magnitude.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

You'd think with Trump's connections to Russia someone would tell him not to pick a fight with Khans.

:golfclap:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have never spoken to him, but he is a bald white man in his early 30's. I think asking him about his stickers would result in a very weird conversation. I'm not sure how you reach all of those conclusions simultaneously.

sheer, raw distrust of government and institutions

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I really wish the Bernie or Busters had the parents I have. They literally lived under fascism and Trump terrifies them. There's no better argument to vote for Hillary than having your mother compare voting in Trump to voting in Antonio Salazar.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ImpAtom posted:

I'd just point out that they have the support of the Koch brothers. That tends to be a red flag.

I need a picture series that goes "Bernie caved to Hillary, now I'm voting Johnson!" followed by a Koch Brother's head on Monty Burns going Yessssssss.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

theblackw0lf posted:

Another important stat from that Gallup poll

81% of democrats/democratic leaners said the speech made them more likely. Only 9% less likely

This is actually even more significant because that spread among supporters/leaners is actually an improvement over the 2008 DNC (+72 vs. +66) while the spread for the RNC 2016 vs 2008 has gotten worse (+71 to +60).

This is all while the DNC made all voters more likely to vote D (+4) while the RNC made all voters less likely to vote R (-15).

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Taerkar posted:

I need a picture series that goes "Bernie caved to Hillary, now I'm voting Johnson!" followed by a Koch Brother's head on Monty Burns going Yessssssss.

Something like this, but Johnson / Stein instead of Trump.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

sonatinas posted:

Can someone explain to me why Russia is the new boogeyman now? I know that they have some political clout with veto power on the security council and there are concerns about hacking but it seems like it's going to be Red Dawn to these people any second now.

In the immediate aftermath of the Ukraine Invasion/Crimean Annexation, they rattled their sabres at the Baltic states pretty hard. The worry is that they'll do the same play of agitating Russian minorities in like Latvia or Estonia and try to do there what they did in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine, and then one of those states would invoke Article 5, putting Russia at war with NATO.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now Corey Lewandowski is on CNN claiming that 'the Khans' son wouldn't have died had Trump been president at that time'.

That's sort of the only play though. Like the easiest response at the beginning would've been "Trump opposed the Iraq War where Cpt. Khan died and Hillary voted for it" plus some Gold Star families fluffing and some veteran fluffing.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I find it interesting the Trump campaign is trying to act like the Khans are upset their son died in Iraq and not because the sacrifices their son made are being ignored and his religion denigrated.

Yeah, but had they opened with that, it's plausible that the Khans would've just let it go. Instead they doubled-down on the religion attacks.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Personal Facebook corollary: I see a decent handful of 20-somethings that are mostly apolitical but share bland Johnson posts once in a while. I never see what I'd call accomplishments but more "climbed a mountain", "supports liberty", and "he's rational and sane unlike the others!"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

MumumumumuhMONSTERKILL

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That only works if Trump isn't on video supporting the war(he is)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

greatn posted:

Just lmao if you think that makes a difference.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My next door neighbor has the following bumper stickers on his car:

- Ron Paul 2012
- Bernie 2016
- TRUMP: Make America Great Again
- Coexist
- Fluoride is a carcinogen. Clean water for all.
- Support Hemp Farmers
- Infowars.com

This is the only bumper sticker I'm ever gonna need

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

To the person who fetchingly described narcissism, linked it to Trump's behavior, and predicted he'd call Hillary a oval office at the debates, this dead soldier stuff isn't too far off!

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Is there any actual data on whether Gary Johnson pulls more support away from Trump or more from Clinton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

greatn posted:

LOL you think that matters. #NothingMatters

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Is there any actual data on whether Gary Johnson pulls more support away from Trump or more from Clinton?

Most polls which include Johnson seem to include Stein as well, so it's tough. Hillary seems more impacted by a four-way race than Trump does, but a lot of it comes from the "not sure" folks picking a side.

• Locked thread