Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

The last time I remember enjoying having campaign map agents in a TW game was Medieval 1 where having spies in enemy provinces would alert you to impending attacks and could uncover hidden traits of generals.

I distinctly remember playing England and using a gigantic superstack of spies to paint Europe white (rebels). Agents were utterly, ridiculously broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I won my recent campaign by having an Empire Captain assassinate Archaon in the middle of his doomstack.

I want you to visualize that.

I want you to visualize an old, bearded man marching into a camp of ten thousand Chaos warriors, walking straight up to the Antichrist, and stabbing him in the dick.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

I won my recent campaign by having an Empire Captain assassinate Archaon in the middle of his doomstack.

I want you to visualize that.

I want you to visualize an old, bearded man marching into a camp of ten thousand Chaos warriors, walking straight up to the Antichrist, and stabbing him in the dick.

See, when you say it that way, it sounds metal as hell. In reality, it's a miserable, anticlimactic note to end the game on.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Well, that wasn't actually how the game ended, but I attribute the win to it. After Archaon got shanked, Kholek, Sigvald, the Everwatcher, and Archaon's remaining forces descended on Kislev. Four of their armies versus four of mine, led by Franz and Toddbringer.

There were so many units on the battlefield that... my cavalry and artillery didn't show up to reinforce? Is that a known issue? It made the fight a little too challenging.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

FutonForensic posted:

Well, that wasn't actually how the game ended, but I attribute the win to it. After Archaon got shanked, Kholek, Sigvald, the Everwatcher, and Archaon's remaining forces descended on Kislev. Four of their armies versus four of mine, led by Franz and Toddbringer.

There were so many units on the battlefield that... my cavalry and artillery didn't show up to reinforce? Is that a known issue? It made the fight a little too challenging.

There's a max of 40 units under one player's control at a time. This means you might sometimes want to withdraw infantry to let others come on the field. I'm not sure if the AI abides by the same restrictions exactly.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Finally beat a long campaign for Empire normal. I am bad at this game. Going to try moving up to hard difficulty, and doing Greenskins. Could I get a general slew of tips for Greenskins-- Important hero skills & research + general strategies for campaign map and making money?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Always be waaaghing.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Fangz posted:

Always be waaaghing.

Also micro your Waaagh's, don't just have them mindlessly follow you. Send them in to soften places up and follow up hard, send them to smaller armies to wipe them out.
I haven't played Orc in a while, but if they are anything like Beastmen make sure the army that has a Waaagh following it doesn't dip below 17 units.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
For fucks sake, I Installed Radius Total Warhammer Mod and a few others, and now when I try to launch the game, nothing happens. Help?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

uninstall radius.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Just got a good graphics card for the first time in my life. Never realized how happy the vargheists look till now

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
Anyone had that bug where the game doesn't let you end your turn during the 2nd Chaos Invasion event? Can't clear the advisor window and the end turn button is greyed out. I looked around and couldn't find any known fixes for it. Playing with no mods and my previous campaign did not have this issue.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

John Charity Spring posted:

There's a max of 40 units under one player's control at a time. This means you might sometimes want to withdraw infantry to let others come on the field. I'm not sure if the AI abides by the same restrictions exactly.

It's unfortunate that this is the case because, frankly speaking, if 40 units aren't enough then it's actually possible that bringing 60 units is less helpful. Unless there's something I'm missing, there's no way to designate which units start on the field and which units come in as reinforcements, and I've had a couple of oversize battles where key units I'd have rather have on the field to start (such as cannons/other artillery) didn't come in until later, where their impact is much reduced, and I have much more success and fewer casualties sticking to a maximum of two stacks than trying to shoehorn more units in.

Essentially, if it's a fight that I can't win with 40 units, trying to bring more is generally counterproductive unless I'm explicitly intending to autoresolve it away.

On the same note, if I'm going to be attacking a big collection of enemies, there's an upper limit to the point where the number of enemy units stops mattering. Whether the enemy has 40, 60, or 80 units total, there's a point where the battle is won or lost and the enemy's supply of reinforcements can't arrive fast enough and in sufficiently good order to stand on the field long enough to be meaningful - reinforcements trickle in and get crushed rather than contributing in a meaningful fashion, and this is without even taking Lightning Strike shenanigans into account. In my very first Chaos grand campaign, I was still running around pacifying the Norscan tribes when the event triggered and Sarthorael spawned in with four full stacks right next to Sigvald.

Lightning Strike, however, meant that this was easily reducible to four 20v20 engagements (to start) and even though my army was basically gone by the end of it (I ended up chaining lightning strike battles until I ran out of movement, which was six or seven battles in total with only a few percent replenishment in between from the after-battle options) Sarthorael's stack was entirely gone and the AI scattered on their turn rather than attack with their remaining troops. It may be a crutch, but lightning strike is incredibly useful if you've got a stack of high-quality troops - you basically can't lose to the AI under these circumstances.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

cheese posted:

For fucks sake, I Installed Radius Total Warhammer Mod and a few others, and now when I try to launch the game, nothing happens. Help?

I spotted your problem.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nazzadan posted:

Also micro your Waaagh's, don't just have them mindlessly follow you. Send them in to soften places up and follow up hard, send them to smaller armies to wipe them out.
I haven't played Orc in a while, but if they are anything like Beastmen make sure the army that has a Waaagh following it doesn't dip below 17 units.

Also your waagh stacks will raid your own territory if you don't keep them busy. In my experience, sometimes it's best to send a mostly destroyed waagh out to die and just get it over with so you can summon a new fresh one after the post waaagh blues wear off.

If you are new pick Grimgor because he has a much easier start (seriously, Azhag starts with by far the worst starting units in the game) and he's really very good. Azhag can be great too, but it takes time and his quests are much more annoying. Try to get a waaagh going beating up the local greenskin tribe and use it to smash the dwarfs before they get rolling and start confederating everyone. Don't worry too much about public order until your empire gets big and/or your armies are too far away, as stomping rebel armies is a good way to build up your fightiness and get some exp. Once you get rolling you may as well build walls in every settlement since orc buildings aren't all that great (the usual template is walls - money building - boss tent).

Also beware the top knots and don't underestimate them until you've eliminated them completely (preferably after you've taken care of all the dwarfs around you). They can build a large effective army out of just a single settlement (one chain gets them everything). A lot of greenskin tribes will confederate too so keep that as an option.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

-snip-

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 1, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dracneir posted:

Anyone had that bug where the game doesn't let you end your turn during the 2nd Chaos Invasion event? Can't clear the advisor window and the end turn button is greyed out. I looked around and couldn't find any known fixes for it. Playing with no mods and my previous campaign did not have this issue.

okay i dunno why the post I just made about this isn't showing BUT:

This is a bug with diplomacy I ran into. You're playing Empire, Vampires, or Dwarfs, right? You probably have treaties with a couple northeastern Empire provinces or Kislev. When WOC show up, they automatically declare war on everybody nearby simultaneously, which triggers your treaties simultaneously, which confuses the game because it makes you declare war twice on the same faction. Try breaking your treaties, then ending the turn.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Someone upthread asked what Bestigors are good for, and that is manning siege towers. Lots of armor, no need for vanguard deployment. I keep 2 units in my army and use Gors in any remaining towers.

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Yeah being able to embed agents a la Civ would go a long way to making them an interesting part of the game .

I'm not sure I understand you here, what do you mean by embed?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

rockopete posted:

Someone upthread asked what Bestigors are good for, and that is manning siege towers. Lots of armor, no need for vanguard deployment. I keep 2 units in my army and use Gors in any remaining towers.

I don't think I even built siege towers as the beastmen. They're so good at breaking down the gate and then punching a hole right through whatever is standing on the other side so that your whole army can pour in.

I'd say if you're fighting the dwarves or chaos then having a few bestigor herds might help but overall you're better off going with cheaper units backed up by things like minotaurs, giants and bullgores or just going all out on minotaurs, giants and bullgores.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I had a Brayherd going and it wouldn't let me target an enemy army just their settlements, not sure if I was missing something that was preventing this.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Were you just selecting the unit and clicking on targets or were you using the controls to clear/select a target in the bottom right character pane for the brayherd?

Trujillo posted:

I don't think I even built siege towers as the beastmen. They're so good at breaking down the gate and then punching a hole right through whatever is standing on the other side so that your whole army can pour in.

Seriously. Normally I rush my two Gorebull buddies and my minotaurs at the gate and if I start moving my army towards the gate then they might get there before the minotaurs have bashed it down. It's amazing.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

rockopete posted:

I beat Eye for an Eye over the weekend and didn't build a single siege engine. Just minotaurs bashing down the gates in record time.

I only recruited bestigor two turns before ending the game. It just seems like they don't have a niche. Why spend 3 turns for a bestigor when 2 turns gets me a minotaur?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ubercrunchy posted:

I only recruited bestigor two turns before ending the game. It just seems like they don't have a niche. Why spend 3 turns for a bestigor when 2 turns gets me a minotaur?

because they look cool

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Jamwad Hilder posted:

because they look cool

Not an emptyquote.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ubercrunchy posted:

I beat Eye for an Eye over the weekend and didn't build a single siege engine. Just minotaurs bashing down the gates in record time.

And Gors end up with quite a bit more attack for a 1-turn recruitment, too. I guess they give you armor-piercing non-large units, but frankly, Bestigors would be a lot better with halberds or something instead of axes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Beat dwarf campaign over the weekend. Compared to Empire, it was incredibly easy because orcs are kind of a pushover and all the nearby dwarves will cooperate pretty easily without even being bribed. I had greenskins dead by turn 65. However dealing with chaos was a pain for a multitude of reasons. As usual, Empire sucked at dealing with them, Kislev actually got wiped out pretty early by the Norsc tribes, and oh yeah, I got to deal with the bug where when chaos arrive, the game grinds to a complete halt because some trigger doesn't go off and you can't move armies or end a turn. I had to use a mod to break out of this. I used my mad stacks of cash to get the Empire to a point where they could actually fight off chaos, sent 5 fully loaded armies up and killed Everbutt and the other generals myself, and bribed and allied the western dwarves for a short victory because I was getting sick of VC's somehow breaking out of vassalhood and harassing nearby allies.

Also, no aggressive agents mod is the best thing and turns the late game into a lot more fun instead of herding 8+ agents around to deal with the flood of enemy agents.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 1, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
It seems like there's no problem beastmen face that can't be solved by throwing more minotaurs and/or devolves at so far in the campaign. I've had my armies fight and win overwhelming odds just from those two things alone. As it is, there's basically no reason to build the Centigor or Razorgor lines considering anything you'd want one for can be done better with minos. Your line soldiers only need to be able to hold out long enough for your gor/ungor flankers to start their attack and for your Minos to come in and smash the enemy line.. If you're up against Dwarves or ranged heavy empire then pack more shield minos, if you're fighting VC or other beastmen then bring greataxes.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

ubercrunchy posted:

I'm very cagey with siege battles since some nasty experiences in some of my earlier games. I'll have to try just gatecrashing, it's been touch and go trying to leave a siege for at least 3 turns in the mini campaign so I can get some towers (kiting those stupid manlings all around the forest is wicked fun though). If it's as easy as it sounds, then yeah Bestigors are pretty useless. Also I forgot about the 3 turn recruitment vs 2 turns for minotaurs, christ it's not even a choice.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 1, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://gfycat.com/JealousSentimentalDuck

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Raged out over E4E. Then figured out defensive encamping (for stealth) and beastwalk were things I should actually be using.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

This is amazing

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ubercrunchy posted:

I guess they're useful if you expect to run into a lot of anti-large units. Particularly chaos warriors or chosen with halberds would give minotaurs some trouble, while bestigors should probably do decently well against them. Of course, in a campaign game where you can match any enemy spear or halberd unit 1:1 with minotaurs of your own that's probably not going to matter much.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

loving wonderful

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

:five:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I guess they're useful if you expect to run into a lot of anti-large units. Particularly chaos warriors or chosen with halberds would give minotaurs some trouble, while bestigors should probably do decently well against them. Of course, in a campaign game where you can match any enemy spear or halberd unit 1:1 with minotaurs of your own that's probably not going to matter much.

Minotaurs lose pretty badly to halberd chaos warriors even when getting a good charge off, I assume chosen with halberds annihilate them. Interestingly, Bestigors also lose pretty badly against warriors with great weapons. I think they do against normal chaos warriors as well, but I think me testing was off since they fought on slight hill and it might have given the counter charging warriors an advantage.

On the campaign map it'll probably go a little differently, but I suspect that chaos will be pretty tough matchup against beastmen if theres no magic affecting the battles.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

This is awesomely hilarious, everyone should look at this.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Are there any let's plays/videos/channels that people would recommend which go into the mechanics and tactics quite a bit?

I like PartyElite's stuff a lot, especially the battle analysis, so anything similar would be great.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The best part are the charging minotaurs changing their mind like NOPE NOPE NOPE

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

Are there any let's plays/videos/channels that people would recommend which go into the mechanics and tactics quite a bit?

I like PartyElite's stuff a lot, especially the battle analysis, so anything similar would be great.

Heir of Carthage does mostly multiplayer videos, but he does go into the tactics and mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Jack the Lad posted:

I do, but I'm here you can just ask me questions.

• Locked thread