Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

nerds... omg.. can u just.. like not :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol he struck a nerve, huh

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised to learn that kids barely collect any of this stuff.

I've known this ever since I saw Reservoir Dogs action figures at Toys R Us a decade ago.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
studies show that people who "collect" anything beyond things that are rare and worth money are usually very lonely.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dylguy90 posted:

Danys plot is super dumb in a lot of ways but the sheer amount of discussion about it merits at least a passing gender based examination

Just as long as no one gets triggered, white privilege is checked, racism, and other stupid PC buzzwords from the last few years.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
These damned new fangled buzzwords like racism!

:rant:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HBO finally confirmed season 8 is the last :rip:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

What... did I slip into a coma and miss season 7?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

tooterfish posted:

What... did I slip into a coma and miss season 7?

No, but this gives us a clear indication that the books will literally never be finished.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bit redundant. Even Jon Snow knew that.

VampiricGiraffe
Feb 5, 2012

kiimo posted:

I'm naming my kid Karl Drogo.

I'm naming my dog Khal Doggo

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

There's probably going to be ~1.5 hours of stuff they need to do because season 7 and 8 will be shorter.
Speculation is perhaps a movie.

I really would like, though, is a prequel showing the rebellion. Dunk & Egg would be alright, though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Valar Morghulis posted:

There's probably going to be ~1.5 hours of stuff they need to do because season 7 and 8 will be shorter.

I really would like, though, is a prequel showing the rebellion. Dunk & Egg would be alright, though.

I'd personally like to see the rebellion adapted into a video game. I feel that for the most part the show wouldn't translate perfectly to a game (apart from the whole Telltale thing and strategy games like the CK2 mod) because it's mainly character development and talking, with battles being awesome but somewhat rare. The rebellion, on the other hand, lasted a full year with a great deal of combat involved, and a good developer could use it to pull off amazing widespread battles with a thousand soldiers.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They should do season 7 and 8 and do a $500 million dollar movie release for the conclusion. Does the ice zombie win or not, $15 a ticket. Out in 2020. Still out before the books.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Elephanthead posted:

They should do season 7 and 8 and do a $500 million dollar movie release for the conclusion. Does the ice zombie win or not, $15 a ticket. Out in 2020. Still out before the books.
Only if they recast every character for the movie.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

monkeu posted:

No, but this gives us a clear indication that the books will literally never be finished.

No joke, this is probably the "ending" the gurm gave HBO when they signed up for this circus.

This may be the time I unload my signed first editions on ebay.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cartouche posted:

No joke, this is probably the "ending" the gurm gave HBO when they signed up for this circus.

This may be the time I unload my signed first editions on ebay.

You should knock off GURM and then sell the books on Ebay

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

etalian posted:

You should knock off GURM and then write the rest of the books

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

etalian posted:

You should knock off GURM and then sell the books on Ebay

"The pear shaped gurm fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."
- fini

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Valar Morghulis posted:

What do you mean by "stuff they need to do"? I thought the whole reason for the shorter seasons was because they wanted to spend the entire normal 10-episode budget on 6-7 episodes with increased money for big battles and cgi dragons. Even with a total of 13 episodes left for Season 7 and 8, that's still roughly 13 hours to tell the rest of the story, which I think is plenty of time to tell pretty much any story, especially with so many plot lines getting condensed and merged last season.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

King of Foolians posted:

to tell the rest of the story, which I think is plenty of time to tell pretty much any story

Oh my sweet summer child.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
13 hours isn't even enough time to tell a sub plot that never gets resolved and has no bearing on the main plot.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The theatrical cut for LOTR runs a little over 9 hours.

The entire Harry Potter franchise was just shy of 20 hours.

We're talking about a runtime that just about encompasses every movie in the X-men franchise (save for the most recent one and Deadpool)

You can loving write act 3 of your story in that amount of time. Just stop spending it on bad pussy.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
You can do it if you go straight to the end, but considering Dany was in Meereen for 40 episodes, it should really take more than 13 for her to arrive and do stuff in Westeros.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

You can do it if you go straight to the end, but considering Dany was in Meereen for 40 episodes, it should really take more than 13 for her to arrive and do stuff in Westeros.

Varys is going to share his warp pad with her.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There arent really that many storylines left right? This season did a lot of preparation work for the next seasons by murdering a bunch of people

The entire kings landing area, which has been a focal point of the series, now only has Cersei left in it. There aren't even any political shenanigans going on there since she blew all of her opposition up.

Everyone elses story seems pretty straightforward, except Brans. I have no idea what they're gonna do with him

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's Daenerys; along with Varys, The Sand Snakes and Olenna.

There's Cersei along with Jaime and Bronn.

And There's Jon Snow, along with Tormund and Sansa and Brienne.

There's also Melisandre wandering around, The Hound wandering around, The Brotherhood without Banners, and the big thing: The White Walkers.

Not really any more or fewer storylines than they normally have, maybe a few less compared to the last season which was so spread apart.

Yeah they can wrap it up if they have to. Still lots of room for cool storylines to play out though. I mean you could keep the story going indefinitely if you had the will to; new characters coming in and old characters being killed off lets you just maintain pretty much forever. But they are ending it.

There are a lot of characters and plots in the books that the show never touched on, but probably never will. And the new books, if GRRM ever writes them, will continue to add new characters and sub-plots that the show probalby won't bother with. :shrug:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's Daenerys; along with Varys, The Sand Snakes and Olenna.

There's Cersei along with Jaime and Bronn.

And There's Jon Snow, along with Tormund and Sansa and Brienne.

There's also Melisandre wandering around, The Hound wandering around, The Brotherhood without Banners, and the big thing: The White Walkers.

Not really any more or fewer storylines than they normally have, maybe a few less compared to the last season which was so spread apart.

Yeah they can wrap it up if they have to. Still lots of room for cool storylines to play out though. I mean you could keep the story going indefinitely if you had the will to; new characters coming in and old characters being killed off lets you just maintain pretty much forever. But they are ending it.

There are a lot of characters and plots in the books that the show never touched on, but probably never will. And the new books, if GRRM ever writes them, will continue to add new characters and sub-plots that the show probalby won't bother with. :shrug:

Arya, Sam, and Jorah are also doing their things. But I think they'll pop back into the story when needed, and not be followed closely otherwise. Littlefinger's going to make trouble for someone, though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zzulu posted:

The entire kings landing area, which has been a focal point of the series, now only has Cersei left in it. There aren't even any political shenanigans going on there since she blew all of her opposition up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Also:
Gendry might finally come back around and be of importance (Robert's true heir)
Bronn is of course in King's Landing yet

... the entire rest of the cast seems to be coming for King's Landing. Wait a while and it'll be quite crowded.

Zzulu posted:

There arent really that many storylines left right? This season did a lot of preparation work for the next seasons by murdering a bunch of people

I think it's more like there were so many storylines going on, that we are now in a two and a half season long climax of everything we've seen to this point.

I am totally OK with this. I would be pissed if after all this the White Walkers go down in like 1-2 episodes or something. I am fairly sure the last few episodes of the final episode will be that confrontation, and I am entirely OK with that, too.

All in all I can't wait for the next, delayed, season. It has my total seal of approval to chop the episodes to 7, since I rather have more concentrated awesome (esp. if the budget is staying the same for the season) than having to stretch things out.

The back half of this last season had the pedal to the metal. Say what you will about some stupid dumbing down things, that was some drat urgent pacing.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 1, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wizchine posted:

Arya, Sam, and Jorah are also doing their things. But I think they'll pop back into the story when needed, and not be followed closely otherwise. Littlefinger's going to make trouble for someone, though.

I think Jorah is effectively written out of the show. Arya and Sam are definitely going to pop in though, forgot Arya. (And I intentionally forgot Sam :cheeky:)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zaphod42 posted:

I think Jorah is effectively written out of the show. Arya and Sam are definitely going to pop in though, forgot Arya. (And I intentionally forgot Sam :cheeky:)

Jorah is 100% nailed on to come back and die heroically at the most opportune moment.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

Jorah is 100% nailed on to come back and die heroically at the most opportune moment.

A gigantic rock monster will jump off Gendry's boat and save Dany from an ice zombie just in the nick of time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can the night king get stoned?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Elephanthead posted:

Why not, they pulled that poo poo with Firefly

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
*opening scene of Season 7*

a small boat pulls into the harbor at King's Landing, an exhausted Gendry staggers onto the dock. It is early morning, and there is a strange stillness in the air for King's Landing. He sees an unusual sight, a Sparrow in the city. Knowing that sparrows are a religious sect who take great pride in helping the destitute, he asks him for food. The Sparrow says he has none at the time, but there is plenty outside the Great Sept, where an important trial is about to occur. Thanking the man, Gendry hurries up the street thinking to himself that he should probably thank the Seven for his safe passage.
It is a lovely sun-filled day, marred only by the shouting he hears from inside as he approaches the Great Sept...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

You don't even need to specify "books", the next chapter still won't be released by then

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Chris James 2 posted:

You don't even need to specify "books", the next chapter still won't be released by then

Oh, has he already released all the chapters that he had originally written for ADWD?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
does anyone have that gif of tommen walkin' out the window on loop (the one where he keeps walkin' into shot then dieing) - I can't recall which of the 400 pages it's on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
we dont actually know if anyone died in the sept guys, the explosion was fast and we didnt explicitly see them die

• Locked thread