Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

eggyolk posted:

I managed to get everything working now without having any clue why. The shifter is spot on, and with the VR its completely engrossing. Now I'm obsessed with learning the tracks and getting into online races. My wife hates me.
Sit her rear end down in the sim to show her why you dig it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tried that once, all my wife wants to do is pretend to drive like a normal person then randomly swipe a car next to her.

She does the same thing in GTA, drives for a minute or two following all regulations and then rams a random car and laughs forever about it.

If that's her outlet for dealing with bad drivers that's cool, but it doesn't do much to sell her on sim racing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

I tried that once, all my wife wants to do is pretend to drive like a normal person then randomly swipe a car next to her.

She does the same thing in GTA, drives for a minute or two following all regulations and then rams a random car and laughs forever about it.

If that's her outlet for dealing with bad drivers that's cool, but it doesn't do much to sell her on sim racing.

Holy poo poo lol my wife does the exact same thing.

But I respect her stupid hobbies so she respects my REALLY stupid hobbies.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Buy Shifter or pedals first?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Buy Shifter or pedals first?

What wheel and pedals do you have now? And what's your budget

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Pedals.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've got the t300 and the pedals that come with it.. they are way better than what I was use to with the dfgt. I was thinking pedals since I feel that's a bit more worth 150 than the shifter

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Pedals

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
What they said.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I was playing with a controller and got sick of it, then I noticed that my wheel wanted 24v.. I was trying with a 12v adapter..

IT WORKS.

I am going to fire up some PCars and then dust off the iRacing subscription.

The monitor is my new x34 UltraWide (3440x1440) and it's an amazing gaming IPS panel. Excited!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Reminder:

GhostDog posted:

Next Event:

Some tips for AMS:
  • The Low FFB Force Boost thing works quite well imo (recommended setting 20-40% for high end wheels, up to 80% for others)
  • You can use LCtrl+Numpad9 and LCtrl+Numpad7 to lower/raise the FFB per car a bunch
  • You can use RCtrl+Numpad9 and RCtrl+Numpad7 to lower/raise the FFB per car in smaller increments
  • Shadows on "MAX" is a huge CPU hog, if you have framerate issues especially in CPU-intensive situations (AI field bunching up in a corner) lower this setting first!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There are now officially multiple sites trying to make iRacing-like multiplayer work on other games. RaceRoom is apparently officially supporting this site which at least looks way more professional than the Sim Racing System website. This one at least doesn't require you to download software, registering for a race just gives you the server password. They're also apparently going to have setup sharing and telemetry stuff in the future. I look forward to never being able to find a decent race on it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Nothing is gonna come off it. You can't get enough people to get anywhere until it's fully integrated into the game. Any 3rd party poo poo, endorsed or not, is gonna die on the sidelines.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
What's the best career mode in pc sim racing? I don't mind going back a bit.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 1, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

There are now officially multiple sites trying to make iRacing-like multiplayer work on other games. RaceRoom is apparently officially supporting this site which at least looks way more professional than the Sim Racing System website. This one at least doesn't require you to download software, registering for a race just gives you the server password. They're also apparently going to have setup sharing and telemetry stuff in the future. I look forward to never being able to find a decent race on it.

My favorite thing about this one is the generic dashboard/stats pics they stole from somewhere and have under "our vision". Or "Template by WebThemez.com".

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Why not just offer to work on Steamworks support?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ShineDog posted:

What's the best career mode in pc sim racing? I don't mind going back a bit.

I'd say GT Legends (win races, earn money, unlock cars) or GTR2 (complete driving school challenges, unlock championships). I'm personally a fan of rFactor's attempt at a Gran Turismo career and wish some modder had actually tried to take advantage of it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ShineDog posted:

What's the best career mode in pc sim racing?

If you don't care about super realism, then check out the Codemasters titles, like Grid Autosport. Project CARS also has a career mode.

Forza is getting a PC release soon, but the preview version doesn't have wheel support, and it's hard to say if the devs will really care given that the vast majority of people will happily use an Xbox pad.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Friends and family would wonder how I died if Forza came out for PC with wheel and VR support. Holy poo poo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Last I saw, the Forza devs said the game will work with "common" wheels or some poo poo. Dunno if that just means Xbox-compatible wheels or some other nonsense, or maybe it'll be fine and there's no need to fret. WHO KNOWS?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If they support the G920 and not the G29 that would be the funniest thing in the history of racing games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I spent a couple hours with the Forza beta version, and it really doesn't feel as good as previous Forzas. It doesn't look as pretty, it's set up as a F2P cash grab, and it has a regimented series of events you have to play through. It's really lost that sandbox feel of older games where you can identify a specific car you want, go race to save up some cash, then buy your dream ride and spend a couple hours tuning it.

The simulation part I'm unsure on, as I always played the older games with a wheel so it there's not yet a direct comparison. But my impressions were the transition from grip to slide was too abrupt and it's really fussy to threshold brake. It felt like a lot of "floor it to the corner, slow to a near stop, turn, then floor it again" style play.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's just a beta version. They probably set it up that way to get people to test it a certain way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's a thing they threw together to give Forza some presence on PC before Horizon 3 comes out. There's a similarly stripped down version of Halo's Forge mode on the Windows store.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I just want a PC sim where you take a not-so-great car and gradually turn it into an awesome racing machine. As far as I know Forza was the only game with that level of customization.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The only Gran Turismo and Forza I've played are the first in each series, and yeah, it was cool as hell to take some lovely production car (especially a used one) and gradually upgrade it into a mean driving machine. The fully upgraded Mitsubishi Eclipse in GT was incredibly good for its cost, staying competitive until basically endgame poo poo IIRC.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was also a lot of fun to select a lovely production car, specify some upgrade limit, and then take it into private races with friends who were running under the same restrictions. Found some real gems that way, and the races were always hilarious.

The most surprising was the PT Cruiser.. one guy found that with the right upgrades it turned into a track monster. At least within the game, I doubt it translates to real world.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I also liked the GT franchise a lot starting from a garbage used car and passing through all sorts of competitions to get newer/better cars or buy upgrades to keep it relevant; eventually the low car count in races and no/poo poo damage modelling wore on me though (hurray fastest way around most street tracks being to grind the wall through a bunch of turns instead of braking). Shame in general that PC Sims dedicate little to no resources towards make a single player career of sorts that's not totally lifeless.

xzzy posted:

The most surprising was the PT Cruiser.. one guy found that with the right upgrades it turned into a track monster. At least within the game, I doubt it translates to real world.
The monster in the real world is the person who designed the PT Cruiser.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eggyolk posted:

I just want a PC sim where you take a not-so-great car and gradually turn it into an awesome racing machine. As far as I know Forza was the only game with that level of customization.

The fact that this post gets positive responses is why I like this thread. When I've brought up the same topic on simracing forums it always seems to bring out the spergs who think anything less than perfect realism (or their teflon-tired vision of realism) is an affront to the PC gods and that the idea of doing a nonsense build that's maybe not realistic but definitely fun to drive should stay on consoles. The idea that a checkbox could force stock configs in multiplayer seems meaningless to that crowd. If I'm having fun they're not.

gently caress that, I want as realistic of a simulation engine as I can get, but I want to be able to feed it the parameters of an '80s Vandura with a LS7 hiding under the doghouse when I need a break from realistic racing. BMW Isetta with a 13B-REW? Yes please! Drunken racing in gimmick cars is wonderful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
PC Sim developers only want to make hotlap simulators. Multiplayer is an afterthought and single player is even more of an afterthought.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I, too, have a Forza-shaped hole in my heart. Haven't played one since FM4. I'm super excited for FH3 and FM7 on PC.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I really hope they'll have proper wheel support. Don't break my heart Microsoft.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

I really hope they'll have proper wheel support. Don't break my heart Microsoft.

not worth the effort!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This all becomes moot when Forza 7 comes out on PC next year, but the idea of a structured career progression I think the more hardcore sims need to start considering more and more if they're serious about reaching a bigger audience, especially as the car count in these games gets bigger and bigger. Assetto Corsa kinda made vague bored motions towards it with its career mode and I do like what they tried but that they haven't bothered to keep that or the special events balanced as the game has changed is a major problem. Just something to formalise a progression path through to the faster and harder cars would go a long way.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

PC Sim developers only want to make hotlap simulators. Multiplayer is an afterthought and single player is even more of an afterthought.

I'm super casual and only bought PCars when I got a Rift cause I saw you could drive an old Mustang down a repro of Highway One. Between the visuals not quite being there (low display res, some of the models/textures not looking very good in the display, I need a CPU upgrade) and an Xbone controller being kinda boring to use I don't play the game much. But if someone released Drunk Driving Sim 2017 where I could load up crap like a 95 Civic on downtown streets hot dang I'm in for a full wheel/pedals/shifter setup and buying all the DLC releases like the 80's Caddy Pack featuring Minneapolis.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Whoa. I played a LOT of Sims on the weekend, it was loving great. I really, really missed it.

Firstly the Kart sim in PCars. I just love it. I played the PCars career for a while where I'm racing that 80s turboed as gently caress BMW on Ace, it's also a lot of fun and requires some complex throttle control. But the Kart sim is the sheer fun one for me, feels so drat good.

I signed up for the KartKraft closed beta, I lied and told them I was a karting pro and they asked all these questions about the chassis and engine I run. Luckily I'm all about karts at the moment and I just told them what would be a solid setup without going overboard.

After spending hours with the BMW at Imola I knew the track backwards, so I started going through some of the other cars with a track I'd refreshed on. That last Lotus F1 car, the 98.. oh my god. The power and insanity of the BMW (more infact) but with a refinement and grip like you only get from an open-wheeler. Then I found that California Highway track and went through some more which was fun.. but you can also see the 'limits' of the sim. The cars have to be relative to each other, so the F1 beasts need to beat the pants off the production stuff and so on. That results in the BMW 1 Series M3 they've got in PCars behaving like.. I don't know what the gently caress.. but I know it's not a BMW 1 Series because I own the real thing. It's so loving slow and there is no steering sensitivity and the whole thing was just annoying because no BMW drives like that piece of poo poo did.. and certainly not a coveted M3.

The Ariel Atom is the same, it's slow to turn and the power is weird. It's a supercharged V8 and weighs nothing, it should have stupid power and turn like an open wheeler (because it is one) but it's sorta gimped, no doubt so some other car in the line up can take the place it needs to.

Then I went to some Dirt Rally, which was really fun for about 20 mins. I just got sick of fighting the car and keeping it on the road, I was doing some bastard course with the Stratos which is hard.. but it was more being constantly in fear of writing it off rather than enjoy the control.

F1 2014 got a run on Sunday morning and I was fresh and ready to gently caress around the saturation settings, etc, to get it to drive properly. I ended up with something pretty drat good and really enjoyed getting used to Hockenheim again for the GP later that night. Nico you stupid bitch, btw, you can't block and turn into people like that. Go drive a V8 Supercar if you want to play dodgem cars, but in F1 we see that poo poo and the stewards will penalise you. No bodywork to cover your front wheels, we can see exactly what's going on. Anyways..

Then, finally, I decided to setup iRacing again. It took a long time, I've got a launcher that launches my background apps when the sim starts, the new DX11 is fantasic and the whole thing probably took me 3 hours fiddiling to get back to where I was when I left.

The SRF is at Lime Rock, what a welcome back! I did some testing, pulled a 58 and left it there until tonight when the track will change and I can pratice with real people.

iRacing still felt far superior, and that's just driving the SRF. There is a lot more going on with the FFB, a lot more going on with the track (details, bumps and ruts and stuff), a lot more 'room', I can save mistakes and such in iRacing where in other Sims its a loss of control. PCars was certainly fun, but without the online racing component and organisation like iRacing.. I can't see it as more than a fun few hours. There is no drive for me to return and get faster, really learn the sim inside-out.

As for the career-chat on this page, I would like to play the 'car upgrade' game too. It's not a Sim, it's a game where you World of Warcraft style level your car and come back and beat up the nasty monsters that hurt you when you were just level 4.. but it's sure fun. The racing is more 'I fitted this sick turbo and now I blast past them on the straights', which isn't really anything to do with any racing I know.. but I sure did enjoy Gran Turismo 1 when I was 16 or something.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Firstly the Kart sim in PCars. I just love it. I played the PCars career for a while where I'm racing that 80s turboed as gently caress BMW on Ace, it's also a lot of fun and requires some complex throttle control. But the Kart sim is the sheer fun one for me, feels so drat good.

Check out Automobilista if you want more kart action. Lots of kart-specific tracks and such, and from what OhsH says it better simulates some of the nuances of IRL kart handling.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Eyud posted:

I, too, have a Forza-shaped hole in my heart. Haven't played one since FM4. I'm super excited for FH3 and FM7 on PC.

FM3/4 may not be realism kings, but they taught me so much. Even on controller, giving players a clutch button was amazing. So, so amazing.

That said I do wish Horizons hadn't skewed even farther away from realism.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The first horizon was pretty cool but I got bored of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, I'll have to buy it. It's the only one of the 'cool new' Sims I don't have.

What I would like is to drive with some of you on the forum here, not in iRacing but in PCars or Automobilista where we can set up some cool race (like I've been seeing you guys doing).

I'm in Australia though, I tried this in the iRacing thread and the reality is most Brits and Yanks are sleepy time when I want to stoke. I now have every Monday work-from-home though, so I might be able to do it Monday morning which is the Sunday night for UK/US.

I'll pay more attention to league races we organize and see if one suits.