Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

I liked the part where he said that white Evangelicals aren't involved in racial politics. Once I read that, I knew this guy has zero chance of even trying to understand the appeal of Trump, much less argue against it.

Maybe in 2020 when the candidate is literally Yosemite Sam hopping up and down on the podium screeching the N-word, he'll revisit that assertion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sir Tonk posted:

Drudge has a new strategy

Didn't Cornel West endorse Jill Stein several weeks ago? Why is Drudge being so late to the table with this?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

Didn't Cornel West endorse Jill Stein several weeks ago? Why is Drudge being so late to the table with this?

Bernie is no longer a viable candidate for the right to concern troll about "True Liberals".

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

seiferguy posted:

My money's on "Drudge didn't give a tin poo poo about it until he could turn her into One Unusual Campaign ~*the MaInStReAm LiBeRaL mEdIa*~ Doesn't Want You To Know About (Other Uterus-Having Candidates Hate Her!)"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SatansOnion posted:

My money's on "Drudge didn't give a tin poo poo about it until he could turn her into One Unusual Campaign ~*the MaInStReAm LiBeRaL mEdIa*~ Doesn't Want You To Know About (Other Uterus-Having Candidates Hate Her!)"

They know Johnson is going to steal lot of very real votes from Trump, so the right is trying to make the Green party more viable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jack Gladney posted:

The same article dismissively refers to Mormonism as a cult.

Its a cult. A large cult, to be sure, but a cult.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/759937660857245696

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

CommieGIR posted:

Which is a meaningless slur because the distinctions between cult and religion swing on matters of structure, size, and popular acceptance, all of which Mormonism is on the "religion" side of.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Periodiko posted:

Which is a meaningless slur because the distinctions between cult and religion swing on matters of structure, size, and popular acceptance, all of which Mormonism is on the "religion" side of.

True. But as someone who spent 21 years in the Church, it most certainly emphasizes the very cultist portions of itself.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
You're born into a religion. You join a cult. LDS has been around long enough that the vast majority of its members are born in and raised with the faith.

Contrast this to Scientology or poo poo like Jonestown or Koresh's followers, many more of whom joined than were born and raised in the cult.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

CommieGIR posted:

Wait, are we using the old school anthropology definition where pretty much any religion can be called a cult?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You're born into a religion. You join a cult. LDS has been around long enough that the vast majority of its members are born in and raised with the faith.

Contrast this to Scientology or poo poo like Jonestown or Koresh's followers, many more of whom joined than were born and raised in the cult.

That's got to be the worst definition of a cult possible. Buy the standard every religion less than like 20 years old is a cult. And every cult older than a generation or two is a religion.

That gives you no knowledge of what actual distinction exists between them, or why cults have such a negative connotation.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

That's got to be the worst definition of a cult possible. Buy the standard every religion less than like 20 years old is a cult. And every cult older than a generation or two is a religion.

That gives you no knowledge of what actual distinction exists between them, or why cults have such a negative connotation.

As seen in the discussion of the Mormon Church, the distinction between a cult and a religion is fuzzy at best. It's one of those things where you won't get two theologists in any given room who draw the line in the same place.

It's a bad definition because they're all bad definitions. One person's cult is another's deeply held religion.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SatansOnion posted:

Speaking of Jill Stein, she deleted a tweet saying that there was "no evidence that autism is caused by vaccines" and replaced it with this:

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/759855955118919680

Going from "there's no evidence" to "I'm not aware" is really something.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I thought I was done being outraged with Ann Coulter but saw her Khan comments and WELP.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of Jill Stein, she deleted a tweet saying that there was "no evidence that autism is caused by vaccines" and replaced it with this:

gently caress people who still believe this bullshit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Contrast this to Scientology? Well Scientology has third generation members these days (i.e. grandparents raised the parents in scientology and those parents have children who are in scientology)

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Eifert Posting posted:

I thought I was done being outraged with Ann Coulter but saw her Khan comments and WELP.

It's literally her job. She doesn't even get mainstream gigs any more, there's no reason to pay attention to her.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Rush Limbaugh is speaking propaganda out.

Apparently when Mr. Khan was allowed to call out Trump on his racism, and make an impassioned speech about what his son did for this country? Oh yeah! POLITICAL PROP! SHE'S TRYING TO GET PEOPLE TO BLAME THE IRAQ WAR ON TRUMP AND NOT ON HERSELF!

But when Vilerat's clearly bereaved mother was pushed on stage for the sake of smearing of Hillary? :911: SHE'S SHOWING THAT HILLARY WANTED HER SON DEAD!!!!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

He does point out the most important flaw in the biblical reasoning of 'Well sometimes God uses evil men for good purpose', namely that in the biblical tradition when God does that he is usually punishing the Israelites and Judeans for loving up. The whole idea that God will withdraw his protection and allow disaster was an important theological innovation necessary to maintain henotheistic (there are other Gods but only our God is appropriate for us to worship and he's the best) and later monotheistic belief in the wake of military disasters and the conquest of Israel and Judah by the Babylonian Empire. You see, in the ancient near east, it was commonly believed that Gods did battle in the cosmos to reflect the battles on earth between their followers, and whoever won the war obviously also had the stronger god; this is why the Babylonians took the sacred things of Yahweh hostage, to show that Yahweh had been captured in battle by Marduk. Anyone who wanted to continue believing Yahweh was more powerful had to come up with an explanation, and the one they settled on was that people had ignored the prophets and lived sinfully, and so Yahweh had withdrawn his defense and let them be captured by Babylon. This proved so successful that it's part of what led to the replacement of earlier henotheism with monotheism (since if God can use foreign kings and empires, what can't he control?).

Basically, I think it's really important for this guy to hit on 'Hey maybe if we vote Trump Trump will be a punishment from the Lord for us being venal enough to vote for a caricature of every sin we're supposed to condemn' because I think it's an effective line of religious attack.
Woah. Thanks for this post. I'd love to read more about the history of this time period and the interaction of these cultures.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I caught a few minutes of Herman Cain this morning and I guess the new strategy regarding the Muslim American soldier who spoke at the DNC is "why can't he just be an 'American Solider'? Democrats are the one labeling people" combined with "What about Fort Hood and all these other soldiers who died?"

But I think my favorite thing he tried was "Hillary voted for the Iraq war while Trump would not have", which is so stupid I'm not even sure where to start with it.

Trump didn't have a vote first of all. Republicans were super gung ho for that war and Democrats stupidly caved and allowed it. To this day, conservative pundits blame the democrats pulling out prematurely for Iraq falling into chaos and still steadfastly defend the decision to oust Hussein, some insisting that WMD's WERE actually found.

This is the first time I've heard a conservative talk show host come at this thing from the angle that voting for the 2002 Iraq war might have been a stupid idea though.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jerry Seinfeld is so going to get the Life Magazine infomercial gig.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
The foreign policy debate is going to be really strange, Trump is taking this paradoxical position of puffed up conservative strength combined with a remarkable isolationism. Like he has to do lip service to the idea of "standing up" to foreign powers like Iran and Russia because of his base, but his actual policy in regards to NATO, in regards to American military support for allies, in regards to our wars in the middle east is a remarkable shift from GOP orthodoxy.

He has the advantage that he as no real record, so he can define his positions however he wants, and he genuinely seems to be positioning himself as an anti-war candidate for a war-weary (or defeat-weary) populace.

The 2016 foreign policy debate will probably be a hawkish, interventionist Democrat versus an anti-globalist, isolationist Republican, speaking to their relative positions rather than the substance of those categories.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 1, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

It doesn't meet even the most generous criteria for a cult. It did back in the days of Joseph Smith and (to a lesser extent) Brigham Young, but not any more.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Alright so I suppose the handful of believers in chemtrails and beet juice cancer cures for their 4 year olds with leukemia who actually vote is enough to matter to them..?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

i am harry posted:

Alright so I suppose the handful of believers in chemtrails and beet juice cancer cures for their 4 year olds with leukemia who actually vote is enough to matter to them..?

It might matter because anti-vaxxers are not exclusively right wingers.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rick_Hunter posted:

It might matter because anti-vaxxers are not exclusively right wingers.
To be fair, when I think of an anti-vaxxers, I'm usually thinking of a left-wing nut.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

To be fair, when I think of an anti-vaxxers, I'm usually thinking of a left-wing nut.

My anecdotal experience has been split rather evenly. Half being extreme libertarians who don't want no government tyranny jabbing them with needles, and the other half bitching about big pharma calling the shots and spurting autism in their perfect kids' veins with ARTIFICIAL drugs.

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008
I didn't see this posted yet, but Taya Kyle, wife of super badass Chris Kyle, is joining FOX as a contributor. Is the timing too much of a coincidence with the whole Khan family dustup?

Coelacanthian fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 1, 2016

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Coelacanthian posted:

I didn't see this posted yet, but Taya Kyle, wife of super badass Chris Kyle, is joining FOX as a contributor. Is the timing too much of a coincidence with the whole Khan family dustup?

If its true probably not. Any and all attempts at attacking the Khans after their speech has been met with justifiable outrage. Its nothing but negative attention for trump and they have to do something to quell the flames..

Taya can approach the topic as a widow and talk about his service and cant really be attacked without the RWM talking about double standards in the main stream media. Also its kind of lovely thing to attack someone about their dead spouse.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

He deserves the death penalty for such apostasy.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Seinfeld wasn't funny there I said it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Goatman Sacks posted:

Seinfeld wasn't funny there I said it

Mods?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol seriously. I always found Seinfeld kind hit or miss(when it hit it hit big) but everybody loves raymond sucks. its the same plot over and over again.

ray does a thing
shrew wife gets mad
ray tries something else
shrew wife rages
grandma and grandpa come over
grandma coddles and grandpa makes "bitting wit"
Brad garrett shows up and kills them all with his service weapon.

its never been funny. only show unfunnyer is big bang theory.

seiferguy posted:

Is there a real reason people like stein, because she comes off as dumbass. but every far left dipshit i see on twitter acts like she is the second coming and all the anti-vaxx stuff is "CLINTON LIES/PROPOGANDA"

Hodgepodge posted:

Er, that's a huge part of the argument of the article's argument and is stated explicitly by it.

e: found the quote:

that was depressingly interesting. they are trapped in a contradictory idiology that demands purity but also not really because works mean nothing. yet they are bright enough to know trump is scamming them, but they cant do anything about it because the GOP is the last major party that caters to them. but now the true believers have seen the right wings Christianity idiolagy laid bear and its all bullshit and they are afraid.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Is there a real reason people like stein, because she comes off as dumbass. but every far left dipshit i see on twitter acts like she is the second coming and all the anti-vaxx stuff is "CLINTON LIES/PROPOGANDA"

She's not <establishment dem nominee>. That's all there is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zerilan posted:

She's not <establishment dem nominee>. That's all there is.

true. but then again i guess i am not a fan of the far/alt/whatever left anymore.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
King of Queens > Everybody Loves Raymond.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Ape of Naples posted:

King of Queens > Everybody Loves Raymond.
Slamming your nuts in a kitchen drawer over and over until they become so swollen and purple that you pass out from the pain > Everybody Loves Raymond

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

Slamming your nuts in a kitchen drawer over and over until they become so swollen and purple that you pass out from the pain > Everybody Loves Raymond
I must say though
King of Queens>Slamming your nuts in a kitchen drawer over and over until they become so swollen and purple that you pass out from the pain>E'rybody<3Raymond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Jesus's tits Ray Romano is a whiny bitch boy in that show.