Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
There was a huge upsurge in patriot groups following Obama's election(s) as well, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
The right wing really has no answer to the Khan's

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/760200641214119940?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really 'enjoy' how they keep walking down the racism path and just can't seem to help themselves.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

a shameful boehner posted:

There was a huge upsurge in patriot groups following Obama's election(s) as well, IIRC.
It's almost like it's probably, to some extent, a side effect of constantly de-legitimizing non-Republicans for much of a human lifetime.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

And thanks to the tea party throwing a massive poo poo fit over the DoJ reporting that, we're no longer monitoring them as much as we should. :suicide:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, but these days you're more likely to get randomly murdered because you're at the mall as you are to die because a militia bombs an MLK Day parade.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
This is how Hillary loses the debates: https://twitter.com/RogerJStoneJr/status/760184277212524545

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

AriadneThread posted:

yeah, that's my concern. any earmarks not for your specific state are way to easy to just paint as corruption!!!! i mean, i totally bought into that as a teenager. it's only know after seeing, you know, the alternative, that i get their purpose.

The way you bring them back is you give them an incredibly boring and technical-sounding name with "NATIONAL SECURITY" in the middle, and cap them at a minuscule fraction of the budget (which is all they ever were anyway).

:911::hf::tootzzz: THE INTERSTATE SECURITY INFRASTRUCTURE OFFSET AND RECONCILIATION ACT OF 2017 :911::hf::tootzzz:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, adding two more morons to the pile is gonna hurt Hillary. :psyduck:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

SubponticatePoster posted:

If those clowns are given equal time they'll just spend 3/4 of the debate piling on her.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Antti posted:

If those clowns are given equal time they'll just spend 3/4 of the debate piling on her.

It's this, and the Trump campaign knows it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I know that CNN keeps giving time to the Libertarians (they are doing a townhall later this week) but does any other network give them anything?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Add one person who will just ramble on about the free market being the magic panacea and another that just gives Hillary a death glare all debate won't hurt her.

Edit: Unless the debate hosts give them all equal time we'll probably get Stein yelling about how she's not getting enough respect about 30 minutes in.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sean10mm posted:

THE INTERSTATE SECURITY
Federal government intrusion

sean10mm posted:

INFRASTRUCTURE OFFSET
Pork barrel bridge to nowhere

sean10mm posted:

AND RECONCILIATION
The other side doesn't believe in bipartisanship

sean10mm posted:

ACT OF 2017
[36-hour filibuster to protest birth control funding]

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Isn't there a 15% rule?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's this, and the Trump campaign knows it.
Butch Otter got re-elected by doing this. He had a credible Tea Party threat, so he got two fringe Idaho nutjobs in the mix. He presented himself as the establishment alternative to the generic far-right.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Antti posted:

You're making the (yoooge) assumption that Trump wouldn't poo poo all over the stage and roll in it the moment attention is taken away from him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But it produced the best debate you'll ever see. One of the candidates was a pro-LGBT leather-wearing biker libertarian.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I wish Clinton could just figure out one good response to the e-mail fiasco and stick with it. This is ridiculous:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/07/31/clintons-claim-that-the-fbi-director-said-her-email-answers-were-truthful/

As a sheep who consumes mainstream media, I demand more liberal bias.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
At this point, I think the only way that America's political process starts to work again is that people simply stop voting Republican (I don't believe this will happen).

In alternate universe America, 2016 marks another major political realignment as the Republican party collapses after an electoral landslide for Hillary Clinton. Former Republican elites switch donations of money and influence to Democrats in the most vulnerable Republican districts as the Senate, then the House, flip to majority Democrat control. Following that, the power vacuum created by the fall of the Republican party allows for another party to gain strength, perhaps finally creating the conditions for the Working People's Party to flourish across the country. :unsmith:

We live in the Trumpiest timeline, however, and after Trump loses the 2016 election by a margin much closer than it should be, America votes in a Rubio/Ernst ticket in 2020 with a still-Republican House and marginally-Democrat Senate. :smithicide:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brony Car posted:

I wish Clinton could just figure out one good response to the e-mail fiasco and stick with it. This is ridiculous:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/07/31/clintons-claim-that-the-fbi-director-said-her-email-answers-were-truthful/

As a sheep who consumes mainstream media, I demand more liberal bias.

She's not wrong :v:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

Butch Otter got re-elected by doing this. He had a credible Tea Party threat, so he got two fringe Idaho nutjobs in the mix. He presented himself as the establishment alternative to the generic far-right.

The tea party wackjob didn't stand a chance regardless. Butch was just loving with him by only agreeing to debate with the whole gaggle of loons. Like a cat tossing around a mouse.

Butch Otters got support of Simplot, one of the largest privately held companies in the country.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hahaha, a 16 year old Puerto Rican girl being fed a question about heroin.

Oops, wrong thread.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

And, of course, if the Democrats have a majority you no longer need earmarks to get poo poo done because poo poo'll probably just get done.

They said that in 2008... We had control and yet we STILL shot ourselves in the foot. :psyduck:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Spiffster posted:

They said that in 2008... We had control and yet we STILL shot ourselves in the foot. :psyduck:

Very, very briefly. I think a Democrat supermajority only existed for something like 9 months given vacancies that had to be filled in the Senate and prior to next elections in 2010. Also, Joe Lieberman is a human shitstain, never forget.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Spiffster posted:

Yeah but back then I think people still believed government could function. ACA got passed at least.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

But it produced the best debate you'll ever see. One of the candidates was a pro-LGBT leather-wearing biker libertarian.

And yet that wasn't the candidate named Butch Otter somehow? :confused:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 1, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Spiffster posted:

More still got done in Congress from 2008-2010 than since 2010-today. Well, government shutdowns and debt crises have been going UP! UP! UP!

This theoretical Dem majority would probably be more cohesive than the Blue Dog majority, as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hope this hasn't been posted yet. Oh, fox...

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/760206729728712704

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

WampaLord posted:

Yes, it has, multiple times. Stop trying to bring it back, it's a terrible article because it doesn't call out the Republicans for being racist as gently caress.

It lost me when it talked about Bernie not being a Democrat "in any meaningful sense." I mean, sure, he has caucused with them for the 25 years he's been in Congress, and holds similar congressional voting scores from both left and right-leaning action groups, but he didn't have a (D) after his name.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Isn't there a 15% rule?

Yes, but it was set by the totally shameful and rigged bipartisan Commission on Presidential debates, so it's totally negotiable.

Very, very briefly. I think a Democrat supermajority only existed for something like 9 months given vacancies that had to be filled in the Senate and prior to next elections in 2010. Also, Joe Lieberman is a human shitstain, never forget.

It's important to recognize, however, that getting to 60 votes in the Senate is going to require Blue Dogs - not every state is winnable for a Liz Warren or whatever.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Earmarks falls into that category of American public frenzy where it's an evil buzzword, like superdelegates, TPP, term limits, etc. People's gut reaction to these is bad, but none of them know why beyond a elementary level of the meaning and never care to look deeper as to why they exist.

My sister used to work for a non-profit healthcare company that our state's senator (Maria Cantwell) attached an earmark that got them funding for several more years. It got attached to some odd piece of legislation completely unrelated to healthcare. The system worked!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Blue Dogs don't exist in practice anymore. They died with the tea party wave in 2010.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

And yet that wasn't the candidate named Butch Otter somehow? :confused:
Right?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What a glamorous and glitzy convention it was. :allears:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Radish posted:

gently caress John McCain, he's a slimy poo poo.

If he had any sort of principles he'd retract his endorsement, no matter how half hearted he wants to pretend it is.

McCain also backtracked on torture a while back. He really is slime. Country dodged one when he went nowhere.

ImpAtom posted:

I really 'enjoy' how they keep walking down the racism path and just can't seem to help themselves.

They can't. Republicans have become the party of White Nationalists.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12256510/republican-party-trump-avik-roy

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Blue Dogs don't exist in practice anymore. They died with the tea party wave in 2010.

But they would likely be required to give the Dems overwhelming majorities again, which is where the system falls apart. Progressives and Blue Dogs shouldn't have to work together, Blue Dogs should just be Republicans, but the Republicans are too close to fascism for that to work anymore.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

But they would likely be required to give the Dems overwhelming majorities again, which is where the system falls apart. Progressives and Blue Dogs shouldn't have to work together, Blue Dogs should just be Republicans, but the Republicans are too close to fascism for that to work anymore.

I don't think you need old white mostly-male conservative democratic candidates to win the margins required for working majorities.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think you need old white mostly-male conservative democratic candidates to win the margins required for working majorities.

I mean, maybe in a decade or two. But if we lose the Presidency and Congress both in full to the Republicans before the country stops being majority white we're super ultra hosed. Something, something, evil only has to win once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doctor Butts posted:

McCain also backtracked on torture a while back. He really is slime. Country dodged one when he went nowhere.

They can't. Republicans have become the party of White Nationalists.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12256510/republican-party-trump-avik-roy

They weren't blind to it. They just (as the right always does) thought they could control it and dupe it. And then they (as always loving happens) couldn't, so now they write these hosed up mea culpas about 'BUT WE NEVER KNEW!' Gutless slime.

• Locked thread