Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

wow owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Fister Roboto posted:

It could be just a slight difference in gravity, but enough to make her muscles weaker and her bones more brittle than someone who grew up in 1g. Really there ought to be more people like her in Federation, but this is Star Trek and every single planet is 1g with a nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere and exactly one climate type.

There was a book written with the TOS cast in the 1980s that delved into that sort of slightly with Sulu. Enterprise: The First Adventure, if anyone's interested.

He and his family lived on a high-gravity world as he was growing up. There was a bit of a thing during a medical check up with McCoy where he's being told about potential health problems he might face in another 50-60 years as a result of needing to wear a portable exo-skeleton for years as a kid to deal with a colony's higher than Earth gravity. To be honest, I sort of liked that book and wished the JJ reboot had taken some cues from it. Earth isn't perfect and there's sort of an arc that a lot of the crew of the Enterprise are not happy with being their or their assignments.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The important thing is that you acknowledged the mistake and learned from it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like the remark about how they basically got away with murder in regards to showing Beverly pretty much orgasming on prime-time family TV, in the early 90's no less.

Why the gently caress don't I remember this at all?

I'm legit irritated by this, I remember every other little loving detail about these loving shows like the fact that Voyager has a stripped down spare warp core (some assembly required) stashed behind the main one, but that slips my mind?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tighclops posted:

I'm legit irritated by this, I remember every other little loving detail about these loving shows like the fact that Voyager has a stripped down spare warp core (some assembly required) stashed behind the main one, but that slips my mind?

Yeah I'm curious too, I want to watch this episode for research purposes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

like the fact that Voyager has a stripped down spare warp core (some assembly required) stashed behind the main one

what

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It's shown in the cross-section.

Though in the episode where they eject the core (and the ejection system actually works for once) they then have to make a big deal about going to retrieve it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek got away with a lot of things that seem questionable. In season one of TNG a man's head exploded and parasites fell out of his hollowed out chest. In TMP there was a Vulcan screaming in horrendous agony as he materializes in the middle of a transporter malfunction. Somehow that made it into a G rated movie. Good stuff.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 22, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automatic Slim posted:

Star Trek got away with a lot of things that seem questionable. In season one of TNG amans head exploded and parasites fell out of his hollowed out chest. In TMP there was a Vulcan screaming in horrendous agony as he materializes in the middle of a transformer malfunction. Somehow that made it into a G rated movie. Good stuff.

The early days of TV/movie ratings were a lot more lenient with what was permitted in each category, because everyone was still figuring the ratings themselves out. Robocop was a PG movie initially, iirc. By the early 90's it got a lot stricter so as to protect the innocent minds of children.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

These are the same people that forgot they had a whole specialized "kewl" shuttle built into the drat ship already and potentially made out of an existing set but went with the Delta Flyer anyway because gently caress it why not?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Tighclops posted:

These are the same people that forgot they had a whole specialized "kewl" shuttle built into the drat ship already and potentially made out of an existing set but went with the Delta Flyer anyway because gently caress it why not?

They junked the aeroshuttle that you can totally see a cutout of on the bottom of Voyager's saucer section because one of the TNG movies had one and they didn't want to steal Real Star Trek's thunder.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Apparently, D and E had a captain's yacht that was only seen in one movie.
Luckily, Kirk never got his hands on one.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Wasn't it the captains yacht that Picard, Troi and Geordi were in when the Romulans accidentally froze time? I remember it having a conference and dining room, and in the regular shuttles passengers had to sit on the wheel hump.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

criscodisco posted:

Wasn't it the captains yacht that Picard, Troi and Geordi were in when the Romulans accidentally froze time? I remember it having a conference and dining room, and in the regular shuttles passengers had to sit on the wheel hump.

Nah, that was a Runabout.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I guess I didn't realize the Enterprise had a runabout. I thought they were a DS9 thing.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
In 6th grade we had an art teacher that the other teachers obviously hated. At the time I didn't understand why, but the second any other teacher was around they looked like the experience of interacting with her was slowly killing them. The art teacher was always nice to students and wasn't a fat and didn't smell bad so I just didn't get it.

Then on Halloween in 7th grade I saw her dressed up in a tng uniform with Bajoran make up and earrings on while I was walking to gym class

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

criscodisco posted:

I guess I didn't realize the Enterprise had a runabout. I thought they were a DS9 thing.

Only since DS9 started airing on TV, probably :v:. I think they're meant to be general long-range shuttles rather than the "quick" trip regular ones considering they have beds and furniture.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Paramount had the set so they just saved money and used it. Runabouts reminded me of those ships they had on Space:1999. More heavy duty than a shuttle not quite a star ship.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 22, 2022

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Booblord Zagats posted:

In 6th grade we had an art teacher that the other teachers obviously hated. At the time I didn't understand why, but the second any other teacher was around they looked like the experience of interacting with her was slowly killing them. The art teacher was always nice to students and wasn't a fat and didn't smell bad so I just didn't get it.

Then on Halloween in 7th grade I saw her dressed up in a tng uniform with Bajoran make up and earrings on while I was walking to gym class

My Latin teacher was an absolute disaster. Super nice, but you could tell she always needed about 10 extra hours in her day. She'd allow the boys to openly mock her, which is sorta sad, and if you were nice to her you had an automatic B.

Anyway, in 4th year Latin, the entire year was just reading aloud to each other and one a week we'd put on little plays, that were just shortened episodes of TNG she had typed out. She was always in the plays, and would write her part out as "Sexy voice of the Enterprise computer".

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

criscodisco posted:

My Latin teacher was an absolute disaster. Super nice, but you could tell she always needed about 10 extra hours in her day. She'd allow the boys to openly mock her, which is sorta sad, and if you were nice to her you had an automatic B.

Anyway, in 4th year Latin, the entire year was just reading aloud to each other and one a week we'd put on little plays, that were just shortened episodes of TNG she had typed out. She was always in the plays, and would write her part out as "Sexy voice of the Enterprise computer".
Do you have her number?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I've never met a true trekkie and I feel like my life has suffered for it

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Well this weekend we got a trifecta of DS9 social issues episodes

- the racism episode
- the handicapped episode
- the Yentl episode

And I'm sure it's been said but it was uncanny at times just how Yentl Rules of Acquisition was.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I've never met a true trekkie and I feel like my life has suffered for it

My 8th grade science teacher was a trekkie, but he didn't really ever bring it up in class. Well, until my friends and I consistently trolled him everyday for a week about how much better Star Wars is than then he snapped and wanted to have a throwdown for sci-fi franchise superiority.

We didn't fight, but he took an unusually amount of glee watching my egg car fail spectacularly.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also tried Voyager again last night, watched the 1st part and a bit of the 2nd of Equinox.

Janeway was MAD AS gently caress

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ruining the Federations reputation in the Delta quadrant is HER job.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Sten Freak posted:

Well this weekend we got a trifecta of DS9 social issues episodes

- the racism episode
- the handicapped episode
- the Yentl episode

And I'm sure it's been said but it was uncanny at times just how Yentl Rules of Acquisition was.
Stop talking down to me because i'm differently abled. I can do anything anyone else can do!

*trips, falls over a bulkhead, spends 3 hours writhing on the floor in agony*

Am I the only one that has a certain sympathy for Gul Dukat? Only in season 4, but hot drat Dukat owns so hard.

edit: also Garrak owns bones, "Our Man Bashir" (S4:E9) is one of the funniest episodes because of him.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 1, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Apollodorus posted:

It's shown in the cross-section.

Truth. Count the cores:

For a full discussion of this and many other Voyager inconsistencies (such as just how many shuttles and torpedoes they burned through over the years), see this page. For crew inconsistencies (i.e. they went through HOW many redshrts but always somehow had a full crew complement?), there's another entire page for that.

You know what, I'm just going to link to the impressively long master list of all these investigations: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies.htm

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
[quote]The server rejects the referring URL, because of repeated harrassment, spamming or other violations of the EAS terms of service

This guy is cool as gently caress, read his FAQ

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/faq.htm

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 1, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Isn't that the Trek fansite :aatrek: used to hung around at?

Anyway

quote:

Q: You're a dick for showing a "blocked.gif" image when I put your files on my website or use them as my forum avatar.
A: You're a dick for hotlinking, letting me pay for your traffic and not even credit me. Hotlinking is generally enabled, but I have created a blacklist for cases of misuse such as in your case.

:laffo: he's gotten into full on argument with a made up critic. Read the bit in the FAQ were he gets to Enterprise, it just keeps going on and on.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ConstantDelays posted:

Do you have her number?

gently caress off, she's mine.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Sestze posted:

Stop talking down to me because i'm differently abled. I can do anything anyone else can do!

*trips, falls over a bulkhead, spends 3 hours writhing on the floor in agony*

Am I the only one that has a certain sympathy for Gul Dukat? Only in season 4, but hot drat Dukat owns so hard.

edit: also Garrak owns bones, "Our Man Bashir" (S4:E9) is one of the funniest episodes because of him.
Sisko was one more retort from chewing her rear end out in that scene where she is insisting she can do that away mission by herself before he shuts her down.

Funny how she lost the chip on her shoulder once Dr Bashir started sexying her up.

I'm only on S2 but the Cardassians own so far. Garrak the character and the actor who portrays him are excellent. We skipped most of S1 just to get through it but I want to go back by myself and see if I missed anything of his.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Baka-nin posted:

Isn't that the Trek fansite :aatrek: used to hung around at?

No, that's TrekCore, the people who brought you "comparison shot of TNG DVD and Blu-Ray #13" and "comparison shot of TNG DVD and Blu-Ray #24" and "preview of article on the different Data toys with special feature on why one of them had a spotted face."

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Sten Freak posted:

Sisko was one more retort from chewing her rear end out in that scene where she is insisting she can do that away mission by herself before he shuts her down.

Funny how she lost the chip on her shoulder once Dr Bashir started sexying her up.

I'm only on S2 but the Cardassians own so far. Garrak the character and the actor who portrays him are excellent. We skipped most of S1 just to get through it but I want to go back by myself and see if I missed anything of his.

No he's only in one episode in series 1 and that was going to be his only appearance, but they liked the actor so much they started bring him back.

Apollodorus posted:

No, that's TrekCore, the people who brought you "comparison shot of TNG DVD and Blu-Ray #13" and "comparison shot of TNG DVD and Blu-Ray #24" and "preview of article on the different Data toys with special feature on why one of them had a spotted face."

Oh right, I forgot about the toy fixation.... and I am now trying really hard to forget it again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched Star Trek Beyond and Kirk's opening monologue is overlaid with what looks like alternate reality Harry Kim getting poo poo on by another crew member for being bad in bed.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I watched Star Trek Beyond and Kirk's opening monologue is overlaid with what looks like alternate reality Harry Kim getting poo poo on by another crew member for being bad in bed.
this breaks my immersion because harry kim couldn't get laid more than once.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Oberleutnant posted:

this breaks my immersion because harry kim couldn't get laid more than once.

No, that was the guy who got thrown out by the blonde girl. The Harry Kim guy was the one getting a ribbing from his friends for awkwardly staring at female crew members.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, that was the guy who got thrown out by the blonde girl. The Harry Kim guy was the one getting a ribbing from his friends for awkwardly staring at female crew members.

Couldn't be, that guy ended up making out with girl (or was it her twin sister? the wrong twin?)

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

Fojar38 posted:

does the fact that deep space 9's computer is as of season one sapient come up ever again
I just saw this episode. Maybe I've been reading this thread too much, but the fact that the manual overrides on the doors couldn't be activated without the computer's consent really triggered me.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

Voyager beginning to end.

still workingonit

I watched "Parturition" last night. Three times because I kept dozing off. Maybe the fourth time's the trick.

Amazon is now recommending "Dinosaurs" as a show I'd like :nsallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol i completely forgot about this episode of ds9 where rom forms a union and starts quoting marx