Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Covok posted:

The session I had today was okay, not super notable, but I do love this quote: "Remember, Ray, it is acceptable to say Iron Man built a beer hat into his suit."

In our Mage LARP, one of the members of the Order of Hermes is a prim and proper Boston socialite whose Avatar is the character of Mary Poppins form the original novels.

The Son of Ether is currently building her a Mecha-Poppins suit for when poo poo gets real, complete with deployable petticoat shield and assault parasol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

CobiWann posted:

In our Mage LARP, one of the members of the Order of Hermes is a prim and proper Boston socialite whose Avatar is the character of Mary Poppins form the original novels.

The Son of Ether is currently building her a Mecha-Poppins suit for when poo poo gets real, complete with deployable petticoat shield and assault parasol.

Hell yes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CobiWann posted:

Supercharged and fragalicious extra-large explosions.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Splicer posted:

:golfclap:

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Splicer posted:

:vince:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Splicer posted:

:boom:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Splicer posted:

:perfect:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Splicer posted:

That is a weapons-grade pun, holy poo poo.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Splicer posted:

:master:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Goldmine.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So in my 5th Edition D&D game, the GM has taken off the kid gloves and started throwing out assassins at us. The party were all in small individual rooms, and each member had an assassin climb in through the window to sneak attack us while we slept. Assassins as in 50 damage+ attacks in the surprise round.

Fortunately for me, I was playing a Barbarian and had level 7. Which meant I could roll twice for initiative and could not be surprised so long as I entered a rage as the first action on my turn. As I was currently weapon-less and moved first, there was only one appropriate thing to do.

I then proceeded to use my assassin as a battering ram for the first part of the encounter, charging through 2 doors into the rogue's room who was kind enough to stab the poor assassin in the neck while I held him still, until another assassin popped out from shanking our party ranger, only for me to turn and charge at him with his own buddy as I did my best impression of an Advancing Wall in a RPG boss fight, keeping on pushing until I crushed them against the wall and torch at the end of the corridor. Unfortunately for my plan, the guy who jumped me had been effectively mulched, and there were multiple people in need of emergancy potions, so I had to retreat to get my stuff and finally pick up my weapon before I continued the assassin murdering spree.

Still, even that had it's moment when I managed to kill the next guy with my Halberd, stabbed in the gut and attempted to lift his corpse up and slam him behind me... only I was using a 10ft reach weapon in a 8ft high room. The result was smearing the blood of an assassin along the ceiling before just letting him drop down in front of me in a shower of gore. Just in time for the cavalry to arrive and the guards to finally show up after the party had nearly been wiped. Only I had not taken a single attack that entire encounter, despite trying to get the biggest group of assassins and turn them into a katamari ball

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So in my 5th Edition D&D game, the GM has taken off the kid gloves and started throwing out assassins at us. The party were all in small individual rooms, and each member had an assassin climb in through the window to sneak attack us while we slept. Assassins as in 50 damage+ attacks in the surprise round.

Fortunately for me, I was playing a Barbarian and had level 7. Which meant I could roll twice for initiative and could not be surprised so long as I entered a rage as the first action on my turn. As I was currently weapon-less and moved first, there was only one appropriate thing to do.

I then proceeded to use my assassin as a battering ram for the first part of the encounter, charging through 2 doors into the rogue's room who was kind enough to stab the poor assassin in the neck while I held him still, until another assassin popped out from shanking our party ranger, only for me to turn and charge at him with his own buddy as I did my best impression of an Advancing Wall in a RPG boss fight, keeping on pushing until I crushed them against the wall and torch at the end of the corridor. Unfortunately for my plan, the guy who jumped me had been effectively mulched, and there were multiple people in need of emergancy potions, so I had to retreat to get my stuff and finally pick up my weapon before I continued the assassin murdering spree.

Still, even that had it's moment when I managed to kill the next guy with my Halberd, stabbed in the gut and attempted to lift his corpse up and slam him behind me... only I was using a 10ft reach weapon in a 8ft high room. The result was smearing the blood of an assassin along the ceiling before just letting him drop down in front of me in a shower of gore. Just in time for the cavalry to arrive and the guards to finally show up after the party had nearly been wiped. Only I had not taken a single attack that entire encounter, despite trying to get the biggest group of assassins and turn them into a katamari ball

This might be the most original use of an NPC I have ever read.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

It's like the Hulk with gore.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
WWWRPG: An Ancient Rivalry.

A player who'd missed a few sessions rejoined the game as Celene, aka Lady Rapture, manager of monsters*. We were also joined by Hijo Del Lobo, a crowd-favorite luchador.

As a vampiress Provocateur, My first segment of the show was calling out a Real Life Issue. Last time, it was fireworks safety; this time, it was Pokemon Go. My foe, AggroGator (the computer loving jobber) wandered out, and made an announcement.
The crowd went absolutely crazy when she pointed out the high school gym we were wrestling in had a Pikachu!
...I hit the distracted jobber with my finisher and walked off in a huff.

The boss of the federation decided to jump the luchador backstage, trying to start an immigration feud angle.

The Bear, anti-authority Soviet Super Soldier, interrupted and decided to beat the boss up for real, breaking his leg and throwing the show into chaos. He was an rear end in a top hat, but he was also the current champion!
Seizing the opportunity, I booked myself with the luchador for the now-vacant title. Lady Rapture decided to make herself the luchador's manager, which he disliked, and he proceeded to pull lucha stunts on both of us.

He was gaining an advantage when one of Lady Rapture's clients wheeled out a coffin. I hit the distracted foe with my finisher**, rolled him into the coffin, and posed with the title belt.

Only then did I realize I was acting out an El Santo Film.

*Ironically, I managed this player when they played the Outlaw Josey Wales a while ago. The feud culminated in a Malt Shop Brawl, which they won.
**As I'm an AUSTRALIAN vampire, it's an implant DDT called "The Dark Side of the World."

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Alright, so I'm one of two fighters in my 5e party. I've gone Eldritch Knight while the other fighter went Battlemaster. Due to some shenanigans our Battlemaster was kidnapped by the evil organization we've been investigating and had a little side adventure where she escaped from one of their strongholds with some other prisoners.

Meanwhile the rest of the party has been on her trail trying to rescue her. After some stuff involving elves, bullettes and fey spirits we were on our way to the stronghold where our friend was being held. We're on a strict timeline as the evil organization is in the process of clearing out of the area and will not be hanging around much longer. On the way we came across one of the evil organization's encampments that was filled with various curiosities and supplies they'd plundered from various traders in the surrounding region. While looking through the camp we come across ten vials of red liquid that turn out to be the distilled form of a powerful narcotic that also gives a temporary boost to the natural magical abilities of casters. This stuff is highly addictive, has the potential to send users into a coma and was worth 2,000 gold a vial.

Our ranger, who was the one who discovered the vials, was not keen on being in possession of crazy magic super drugs and decided to just smash the vials on the ground before any of us could stop her. The one thing our ranger didn't take into account was the fact that the liquid gave off fumes. Now, mechanically speaking, when you drink one of these vials the damage dice of any of the spells you cast would be boosted by an additional two die. So if your spell was a 1d10 on a hit normally it would be 3d10 while you were tripping on this stuff. And we had just inhaled eight vials worth of the stuff.

We all had to make some saving throws to see whether or not we pass out entirely from such a massive overdose and I'm the only one who passes. My other two companions are rendered unconscious for eight hours while I find myself with all of my spells boosted to eight times their normal strength for 24 hours. So that tiny, one hit point spider familiar I'd summoned? It's now a phase spider the size of an SUV. And the tiny pseudo dragon familiar our ranger had? It's now a young wyrmling.

So here I am: The bad guys are going to be getting the gently caress out of dodge in the next hour or two (potentially with our friend), the rest of my party is unconscious sans the ranger's familiar and an NPC that was accompanying us and I am now a walking magical apocalypse. It's time to storm a keep.

After getting to the keep I leave my unconscious companions in the care of our NPC friend with the dragon for backup while I charge onto the roof of the keep on my spider. Once there I find our missing Battlemaster and a group of prisoners she'd helped to escape. Our reunion was cut short, however, by an ambush of roughly a dozen armed guards who came crawling out of the woodwork. The Battlemaster and company went to work defending themselves while I went to town on the majority of the guards. I one-shotted like seven guys with two thunder waves, made a guy explode with a firebolt (Which is a friggin' cantrip) and between myself and my spider took out more than ten guys over the course of three or four rounds.

We manage to escape on an airship and the party is reunited with our Battlemaster and on the way back to the elf village we pass by the encampment where we first found the magic drugs where we discovered a tree the size of a skyscraper had grown in the spot where the ranger had smashed the vials.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So is the next leg of your campaign going to be rehab? Because drat. If the poo poo is that potent and you effectively took 8 hits of it, you're in for some serious withdrawal.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

the_steve posted:

So is the next leg of your campaign going to be rehab? Because drat. If the poo poo is that potent and you effectively took 8 hits of it, you're in for some serious withdrawal.

That is a very real possibility. We got some help from the fey spirits we were dealing with to help flush the drugs out of our system to hopefully prevent the worst of the withdrawal effects but it remains to be seen just what we're going to be dealing with going forward.

Worst yet is I managed to save two vials that weren't entirely smashed...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

KingKalamari posted:

That is a very real possibility. We got some help from the fey spirits we were dealing with to help flush the drugs out of our system to hopefully prevent the worst of the withdrawal effects but it remains to be seen just what we're going to be dealing with going forward.

Worst yet is I managed to save two vials that weren't entirely smashed...
If your campaign doesn't turn into Trainspotting at least temporarily, I will be very disappointed in your DM.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

If your campaign doesn't turn into Trainspotting at least temporarily, I will be very disappointed in your DM.
Just because they're hallucinations doesn't mean they can't hurt you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Especially after huffing a load of magic glue

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Yawgmoth posted:

"It's SHITE being Elvish!"

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingKalamari posted:

Alright, so I'm one of two fighters in my 5e party. I've gone Eldritch Knight while the other fighter went Battlemaster. Due to some shenanigans our Battlemaster was kidnapped by the evil organization we've been investigating and had a little side adventure where she escaped from one of their strongholds with some other prisoners.

Meanwhile the rest of the party has been on her trail trying to rescue her. After some stuff involving elves, bullettes and fey spirits we were on our way to the stronghold where our friend was being held. We're on a strict timeline as the evil organization is in the process of clearing out of the area and will not be hanging around much longer. On the way we came across one of the evil organization's encampments that was filled with various curiosities and supplies they'd plundered from various traders in the surrounding region. While looking through the camp we come across ten vials of red liquid that turn out to be the distilled form of a powerful narcotic that also gives a temporary boost to the natural magical abilities of casters. This stuff is highly addictive, has the potential to send users into a coma and was worth 2,000 gold a vial.

Our ranger, who was the one who discovered the vials, was not keen on being in possession of crazy magic super drugs and decided to just smash the vials on the ground before any of us could stop her. The one thing our ranger didn't take into account was the fact that the liquid gave off fumes. Now, mechanically speaking, when you drink one of these vials the damage dice of any of the spells you cast would be boosted by an additional two die. So if your spell was a 1d10 on a hit normally it would be 3d10 while you were tripping on this stuff. And we had just inhaled eight vials worth of the stuff.

We all had to make some saving throws to see whether or not we pass out entirely from such a massive overdose and I'm the only one who passes. My other two companions are rendered unconscious for eight hours while I find myself with all of my spells boosted to eight times their normal strength for 24 hours. So that tiny, one hit point spider familiar I'd summoned? It's now a phase spider the size of an SUV. And the tiny pseudo dragon familiar our ranger had? It's now a young wyrmling.

So here I am: The bad guys are going to be getting the gently caress out of dodge in the next hour or two (potentially with our friend), the rest of my party is unconscious sans the ranger's familiar and an NPC that was accompanying us and I am now a walking magical apocalypse. It's time to storm a keep.

After getting to the keep I leave my unconscious companions in the care of our NPC friend with the dragon for backup while I charge onto the roof of the keep on my spider. Once there I find our missing Battlemaster and a group of prisoners she'd helped to escape. Our reunion was cut short, however, by an ambush of roughly a dozen armed guards who came crawling out of the woodwork. The Battlemaster and company went to work defending themselves while I went to town on the majority of the guards. I one-shotted like seven guys with two thunder waves, made a guy explode with a firebolt (Which is a friggin' cantrip) and between myself and my spider took out more than ten guys over the course of three or four rounds.

We manage to escape on an airship and the party is reunited with our Battlemaster and on the way back to the elf village we pass by the encampment where we first found the magic drugs where we discovered a tree the size of a skyscraper had grown in the spot where the ranger had smashed the vials.

I love this. I don't like drugs in real life, but have started liking the notion of playing a character that does just for flavor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was at Metrocon this weekend and decided to sign up for two of the introductory D&D 5E sessions they held. They were simple 1 to 1.5 hour scenarios with pre-made characters, all at level 1 and ready to go. They were meant primarily for introducing new players to tabletop roleplaying, but attracted some experienced players who wanted an excuse to play or hadn't tried out 5E yet.

The simple scenario we were given for the first session was "You all wake up in a jail cell after a night of drunken debauchery nobody can remember. A cow got thrown onto the mayor's roof and a wizard was murdered and his wand stolen. Where's the wand?" After clarifying that we weren't responsible, we were recruited to help find the thief and recover the wand. But first, we decided to help the cow off the roof.

We were led up to the third floor balcony, where we could climb onto the roof. Our elf ranger did an animal handling roll to hypnotize the cow into being easily led, and we used ropes tied around the front and rear of the cow to slowly lower it to the balcony and lead it out. Being a cow, it left moderate amounts of literal bullshit across the floor.

In keeping with "The bard always fucks everything up", our bard decided that he needed a cup of this poo poo. He didn't have any reason beyond "It might come in handy later", so the DM made him roll Sleight of Hand. He failed, and the guard noticed that he had just picked up the mayor's World's Best Dad trophy to scoop up a cow patty. Cue chase scene.

During the chase, our ranger made a Survival roll to lead us to safety....and we ended up in a dead end alleyway. The bard and I scampered up to the rooftops with Acrobatics (my rogue Sam Fisher'd his way up while the bard struggled, throwing the cup of cow poo at the guards to keep them from knocking him back down), which left the rest of the party trapped. The dwarven cleric smashed a head-sized hole in the wall with his hammer (revealing an adjacent alleyway on the opposite side), and the fighter tried to help by grabbing the cleric's hand axe and hacking at the stones too....then he rolled a 1, and the axe flew through the hole and embedded itself in the chest of a 12-year-old boy.

A 12-year-old boy who was holding the wand.

Our cleric rapidly cast Preserve Life on the boy through the hole to bring him back from the brink of death, in an effort to maybe stymie some of the farce that was currently occurring. The boy stood up, and was suddenly engulfed in flames and transformed into a flaming skeleton. I fired an arrow at it from the rooftops and then the cleric fired an energy beam through the monster's chest. The monster collapsed and the fire abandoned the boy's smoking corpse...and then ran around and transformed one of the guards into a similar flaming monster and the two others into winged imps.

Turns out the wand was being powered by a trapped demon of sorts, and the thrown axe had broken the wand as it impacted the thieving boy's chest and released the demon inside. The ensuing fight went decently well, with the group nearly being killed when the fire demon committed "suicide" to blow itself up in the cramped alley before retreating into the city.

We recovered the broken wand (the still half-drunk bard vomiting on the cleric's damaged hand axe as he tried to retrieve it from the burnt body) and repaired it enough to look passable to our jailer, and we rested at an inn. Then we heard screaming from the town square.

There was an Attack on Titan-style giant stomping through the town, eating people. Fire swirled around its limbs. And it had a giant cow's head.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Probably just a coincidence.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The second session was the same basic plot (A wizard is murdered and his wand, powered by a demon that can take over bodies, is stolen by a young boy) but transferred to a village on the edge of a forest in the middle of a snowstorm. In this case we ended up investigating the wizard's hut and body, following the tracks in the snow through the forest to a cave, and finding the boy with the wand in a chamber inside.

The first memorable part was my girlfriend as the elf ranger. She encountered a tiny white kitten that had latched onto the leg of our rogue at the entrance to the cave, and made a Nature roll (something she should be quite good at) to calm the kitten down. She rolled a natural 1, causing her trained animal handler to pick up and violently shake the kitten until its grown snow leopard family appeared and attacked us.

The second was when we reached the chamber in the cave where the boy was sitting, holding the wand as fire swirled around him. I'm not sure why, but everyone in our group except my girlfriend and I immediately opened fire on him with spells, bows, and crossbows and completely annihilated the poor kid. Then the wizard rolled to identify what the wand was powered by, and figured "Well, I guess I could just fire the wand into the air until it's out of charges and dissipate whatever demon is powering this thing". Normally intentionally firing a demon out of a wand and hoping it doesn't come back to haunt you is a pretty bad idea, but that didn't come about this time.

Instead, a dragon swooped down from the top of the chamber and immediately asked us why the gently caress we just gunned down the boy he had sent to retrieve his wand for him.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Haven’t had a chance to write up the latest session of our Tanicus campaign…but our Bard’s player has dove headlong into the “make Varis famous” fountain. He’s actually started to write sonnets based upon Varis' exploits…

quote:

The Sonnets of Varis #7

Listen now to a story found in blood
Two armies set against a river's bank
Kaeryn and Corvus, bodies lost in mud
In their deaths common soldier joined with rank.

Upon the wall, the Lightning Lord did stand
A demon summoned with foul terror's gaze.
Its challenge given echoed cross the land
And with one swipe an entire tower razed.

Amidst the struggle, force and fire melt
Magic streams from out his Lordship's fingers.
Time and time again his ire felt
Putrid taint from off the beast still lingers.

The dust of battle settles on the wind
The Lightning Lord stands victor for Kaeryn

~written by Skeever, Voice of Hlal

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I can't really get the cadence of that to line up in my head without turning it into the sort of strained ad-libbing you hear from Skyrim bards, but I think that sort of makes it even better.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I can't really get the cadence of that to line up in my head without turning it into the sort of strained ad-libbing you hear from Skyrim bards, but I think that sort of makes it even better.

Well Skeever will admit he's not a very good Bard - his character flaw is crippling self-doubt.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Here's a story of a TPK that made everyone happy.

Played a 3 session run of Poison'd this month. We were your average crew of terrible, despicable pirates, sodomizing/beating/mutineering and blaspheming all around the Caribbean to achieve our ambitions. Some of our ambitions were to spit in the eye of God (or the Devil), to get pardoned and abandon the pirate life, and to get revenge on other PCs. One such ambition was held by Robin Redbreast, a woman disguised as a teenaged boy, currently serving as the ship's cook after we keelhauled the old cook for poisoning the old captain. Robin wanted revenge on bosun Jon Whitechapel for beating and lashing her and she had recruited Sampson Dogg, the gunner's mate, to help get rid of him.

Through a vote and then a mutiny, we ended up with Capt. Chastity 'Doggfucker' Blackwell in charge of The Dagger and after running from the authorities on Tortuga, our leaky, worn pirate ship needed to find a big prize so we could repair and rearm. The crew was malcontent and wasn't going to risk their lives for a petty prize and so the Dagger fell upon the Orion, one of the most heavily gunned merchantmen on the high seas.

A plan was hatched by Robin; disguise ourselves as a another merchantman seeking to convoy with the Orion for protection, offer up some wine and food to her crew, and poison the senior leadership before bringing boarding parties over. This made Jon and Chastity a little nervous and a lot suspicious as maybe the old cook didn't have as much to do with the poisoning of ol' Captain Brimstone Jack as first suspected. Nonetheless, they decided to go ahead with it. Chastity would disguise herself as the captain's daughter and she, Robin and Jon would row over to the Orion.

Things didn't go to plan.

The poisoned wine didn't really seem to be working on the crew of the Orion and Chastity wasn't about to just pack up and leave. She started the murdering and it was continued by Jon and Robin as they began slaying the captain, the first mate, and most of the other masters and mates at the dining table. The fight wasn't quiet and the Orion's crew soon twigged to what was up. It was a melee and if the Dagger hadn't swooped in under the steady hands of Sampson Dogg and 'Daring' Digby, they might not have succeeded. During the confusion of the combat, Dogg found Whitechapel below decks and took the opportunity to beat him senseless and toss him overboard, fulfilling Dogg's bargain with Robin. Robin had escaped back to the Dagger and planted the rest of the poisoned wine in Whitechapel's personal stores, intending for the man to drink himself to death with it later.

Cast into the sea at night, beaten and bloody, Jon Whitechapel was surely doomed to die. So he did the only thing he could think of and made a deal with Devil. He would live, but he had to deliver the crew of the Dagger to the noose. Jon found a longboat near him and crawled inside before being rescued, but not until Chastity had most of the Orion's guns loaded onto the Dagger to re-arm the pirate vessel. For his courageous action against the Orion, Whitechapel was given a sizable cut of the booty and he was happy to spend an extravagant amount of saved-up wealth to throw the entire crew an incredibly debauched and depraved party when they landed in Nassau.

Of course, Whitechapel wasn't present during the party, though the rest of the crew were getting blind drunk. He had slipped off the ship and went straight to the authorities, alleging that the Dagger had engaged with the Orion as dastardly pirates and pressed him into service. The stolen guns aboard the Dagger would prove the charges. He wasn't wrong and it was only days until the crew were swinging by their necks and Whitechapel decided to enjoy the public executions with a smuggled bottle of wine from his cabin.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
In any other gaming system, I’d be horrified. In this one? :golfclap: That’s how you get revenge.

X X X X X

Line from yesterday’s Tanicus session, with a nod to Mr. Welch…we have one more next week before a long break due to end-of-summer vacations so I’ll do the write-up then for the last four sessions, but until then…

quote:

According to the GM, the Beholder does not have a Ray of Fourth Edition.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
Due to ongoing scheduling conflicts, the weekly D&D5e game I DM has been on hiatus and my upcoming Star Wars D6 game is still in the figuring-out-what-day-is-best-for-everyone phase, so to scratch the itch I've run a few games of Lasers & Feelings, a one-page RPG about dicking around in space, where the adventures are ridiculous and everything anyone says is canon. It's been a lot of fun and a great chance to flex the improv muscles without the burden of seriousness and continuity (and sobriety) that other games might demand. Last night was the second time playing, with two of my D&D regulars and a friend from work. Here's the post session write-up I did this morning:

quote:

Lasers & Feelings Episode 2: Is Everything OK in the Car-goo Bay

Randomly rolled scenario: The [Hive Armada] wants to [Build] a [Quantum Tunnel] which will [Reverse Time]

Cast:
Hot Shot Explorer John Smith [3]
Sexy Engineer Estell Stillwater [5]
Savvy Doctor Stitch [4]

We join our adventurers returning to the UCS Raptor from an away mission to the surface of Ceadeus VII, to investigate reports of suspicious Hive Armada activity in the system. Finding the Consortium Research Station there completely empty of it's inhabitants, looted and ransacked of almost anything of interest, and smattered with a strange purple-y goo, they return to make their report and deliver to the Raptor the one artifact they were able to find amongst the seemingly abandoned research station: a strange wand-like device of no obvious function, manufacture, or vintage.

Upon their shuttle's arrival at the Raptor, our heroes find the ship eerily vacant save for Captain Darcy, who, in a fit of Space Madness has gone completely bananas, dancing wildly about the cargo bay (which, curiously, is near full of stacks of crates containing Ferengi Space Brandy), thrashing violently, and wailing, over and over again, "B - A - N - A - N - A - S!" Subduing their captain and securing him in a Medical Pod, they proceed to investigate what happened to drive their Captain bonkers and what happened to the remainder of the crew.

Reviewing the security camera footage and records comprising the time our heroes were on their away mission, the Sexy Engineer Estell Stillwater watches as her Captain hails and summons a Ferengi Space Bootlegging Guild Cruiser, prances about the ship physically subjugating the crew one by one with a wrench of a ludicrous size, stuffs them in the escape pods, and transfers them to the Ferengi in exchange for what appears to be enough of the cheapest swill in the known galaxy to lay low several battalions of the Consortium's finest Marines. Engineer Estell also notes that when the Raptor first arrived in the Caedeus System, the sensor arrays picked up trace signals of the recent launch of a Hive Armada ship from the surface of Caedeus VII.

At the same time, Doctor Stitch was taking the strange artifact found in the wreckage of the research facility to the Medical & Science Bay for analysis. Coated with a chunky film of purple-y goo, the wand's purpose cannot be determined, but with analysis readings indicating it is some part of a larger quantum computational apparatus, hinting at a level of technological sophistication attributed only to rarely-seen artifacts of the eons-missing Precursor civilization. The goo itself coating the item is revealed to be the mucous of the Workers and Hunters of the Hive Armada, a multi-purpose emission that is both psychomagnetheric medium - receiving and transmitting input and output to and from the Hive Queen - and the primary building material of the Hive Armada's structures and vessels, hardening upon exposure to certain radiations. Additional experimentation by the Doctor reveals that the goo, in it's semi-liquid and solid states, reacts violently to common table salt.

Having stayed in the cargo bay to further investigate the origins (and vintage) of the seemingly endless supply of Ferengi Brandy, Hot Shot Explorer John Smith discovers a small amount of the goo near the airlock entrance to the cargo bay in the shape of a seven-fingered insectoid hand - apparently they may have had a stowaway on their return trip from the planet's surface. Cracking open a bottle of the liquor and taking a few chugs, he continues to look about, hearing rustling noises and crates being disturbed in the darkness. Arming himself with a cargo hook - an eight foot pole with a spike and a hook at the end - he readies himself with his back to a cargo bay wall as the overhead lights suddenly dim in quick succession - a gross spitting sound is heard from somewhere in the cargo bay as the light fixtures are splattered with icky space bug loogies.

Hearing the commotion over the intercom and alarmed by the presence of a Hive Hunter onboard, Doc Stitch races for the cargo bay with a palm-full of salt, arriving just as the seven foot tall bipedal bug mounts a stack of liquor crates to leap down upon the Explorer, menacingly snapping pincers and mandibles and fluttering vestigial winglets. The thrown handful of salt goes wild and doesn't even impact the bug before it leaps from the crates, but the Explorer is able, by planting the hook in a pad-eye on the floor, to impale the chittering creature, flailing at the man as it slides down the pole to cover him in it's leaking goo. The Explorer and the Doc decide to take the Hunter to the medbay for dissection, and when they later meet the Engineer back on the bridge, the Doc is sporting a shiny new pauldron fashioned from the bug's carapace. The Explorer is wearing it's face and cranium as a sort of helmet, it's viscera only haphazardly cleared out as it is leaking small rivulets of goo from his forehead. An antenna is bent crookedly, and one of the mandibles is skewed at an odd angle over his left temple. He is still armed with his gore-covered cargo pole.

Deciding that their primary course of action should be the retrieval of their crew from Ferengi slavery, they hail the Ferengi Bootlegger Guild vessel that records indicate their Captain contacted earlier. Knowing the Ferengi cannot turn down an opportunity for profit, they convince them to return to the Raptor to exchange the prisoners for (what remains of) the Space Liquor and some Precursor Artifacts looted from the planet below. The Ferengi accept their terms, and upon their return start the shuttling over of the crew and receipt of their payment. As the last shuttle is in transit to the Ferengi vessel containing the Precursor Artifact, an enormous Hive Armada Mothership comes out of warp, looming over both the Raptor and the Ferengi ship. A hailing klaxon goes off, the signal coming from the Hive ship. The Engineer implores the Doc and the Explorer to remove their new Hive-corpse armor, but they do not acquiesce.

The Hive Queen herself demands the crew reveal the presence of the "key," and hand it and any other Precursor artifacts over as a sensor sweep is indicated as originating from the Hive ship, which immediately launches a barrage of Proton torpedoes at the Ferengi craft, obliterating it. Quickly, the Doc asks the Engineer to keep the Hive Queen occupied with questions, and while he reformats the food replicator on the bridge with the data from his analysis of the Artifact to create a "reasonable" facsimile, the Hive Queen brags of her plan to acquire the "key" and finish assembly of a Precursor Quantum Tunnel to transport the entire Hive back in time before the dawn of the Humans, Ferengi, Klingons, Romulans, and Vulcans so they might rule the galaxy.

"This key?" the Doctor queries, as he holds up the fake artifact, hovering it over the garbage disposal unit, a pipe that leads directly to the reactor core, where, Precursor Artifact or not, it will surely be obliterated.

"But my sensors indicated it was upon the Ferengi ship before I exploded it! Even now my workers comb the wreckage!"

"A fake we created to fool the Ferengi in exchange for our crew, we'll send over the real deal in a shuttle immediately."

The crew hastily load the fake artifact in a shuttle and, contacting the ship's cook now back in the galley, pack the rest of it's small hold with the entire ship's supply - twenty tons - of salt, and explosives.

As the Hive Queen's ship accepts the shuttle, the explosives are activated, and the enormous vessel starts to fizzle and shake, and weird pustules form and burst as the molten salt dissolves
it's hardened-goo structure before it collapses and explodes, covering the Raptor's viewports in slime. The wipers come on and smear the greasy mess over the Space Windshields.

The real Precursor Artifact is retrieved from the Ferengi wreckage and, in a post-credits sequence, is shown being wheeled into a huge warehouse at Space Area 51, deep under the surface of Mars.

The Explorer John Smith, Doctor Stitch, and Sexy Engineer Estell are hailed as heroes upon return to Sol System, and Captain Darcy never fully recovers from his mental break, presumably a psychic attack by the departing Hive Queen when they first left the Ceadeus System.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

BlackIronHeart posted:

He wasn't wrong and it was only days until the crew were swinging by their necks and Whitechapel decided to enjoy the public executions with a smuggled bottle of wine from his cabin.

And they all died happily ever after.

I love this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

scopes posted:

As the Hive Queen's ship accepts the shuttle, the explosives are activated, and the enormous vessel starts to fizzle and shake, and weird pustules form and burst as the molten salt dissolves
it's hardened-goo structure before it collapses and explodes, covering the Raptor's viewports in slime. The wipers come on and smear the greasy mess over the Space Windshields.

I love these kinds of touches.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Carrasco posted:

And they all died happily ever after.

I love this.
Indeed. It was poetic in every way. I played Bosun (and eventually Captain) Chastity Blackwell in this little travesty, and frankly I'd have been disappointed if I'd survived.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The Cat-Piss is Baseball.

http://www.royalsreview.com/2016/7/27/12265232/the-real-cause-of-the-royals-struggle-part-1

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Recap - When last we left the party in our Tanicus campaign, they had broken into the island prison of Catra’Zal to rescue my PC’s mother from the clutches of my evil uncle, only to discover that my mother had died due to a hunger strike and that my uncle had someone raised her from the dead to force her to admit he loved her.

After somehow winning a fight we weren’t supposed to win, Varis’ uncle Stannis Grumgate shifted the prison of Catra’Zal to the Astral Plane, trapping the party, a summoned Water Elemental, the rescued prisoners, and the remaining guards, while cutting us off from our Paladin who had stepped into the Etheral Plane right before the plane shift.

X X X X X

The prison sat in a sea of gray mist with the only landmark being a large floating stone head off in the distance – the capital city of Tanicus’ githyanki. One of the guards informed us that the nation of Korvis (where the prison was normally located) had an alliance with the githyanki, and that in two hours a githyanki dreadnaught would be landing to help take back the prison per the terms of the alliance. The only way to send the prison back to the Prime Material Plane was to somehow convince Stannis to send the prison back, and good luck with THAT.

After restraining the guards (one of them tried to stab our Bard/Barbarian in the process. Do you know what happens to a guard that gets thrown off a wall in the Astral Plane? It turns out blood forms the most interesting shapes as the guard tried to “swim” back to the prison), the party headed down below to inform the rescued prisoners what was going on and what had happened. The “commander” of the prisoners was Kreighton Dragonhall, Prince of Kaeryn, a Lawful Good nation that’s the sworn enemy to Korvis. While we were upstairs fightning, Kreighton and the prisoners (which included a Wizard, a Moon Druid, and a dwarven sailor among others) used the bodies of the patrols we had killed to form a barricade around the morgue, scavenged the dead patrols’ weapons, armor, and spell components, and had fought off two other patrols in the meantime. As our Monk (Ksena) and Cleric (Aeana) laid out the situation we had found ourselves in, my Sorcerer (Varis), our Rogue (Cullus), and our Sidhe Eldritch Knight (Tellisyn) head to the heavily warded cell in the corner of the block. The Rogue took one look at the door and said “there is no way in hell I can open this.” It had no lock, no keyhole, was sat perfectly flush into the wall, there were no visible outer hinges, and there wasn’t even a small hole for a food try or a waste bucket to be placed inside. Tellisyn placed her ear against the door, trying to hear something, and managed to discern a very, very faint knocking. After a few moments (and a very nice Perception roll), she realized that the knocking had a broken pattern to it and that someone was on the other side of the door.

I have to give credit to Tellisyn’s player at this point for coming up with something brilliant. She’s a Sidhe adventurer, my mother was a Sidhe adventurer, and all Sidhe have to serve in the military during their lives. She looked at our GM and said “does this sound like Sidhe Morse Code?” The GM thought about it for a moment. “Well, Tanicus doesn’t have Morse Code…but I would imagine the military would have some kind of basic non-verbal communication system…yeah. Yeah, I’ll say it sounds like that. Nothing detailed, but concepts like ‘all clear’ or ‘enemies, number to follow.’” After a few moments, Tellisyn managed to determine “alive,” “unharmed,” and “in need of urgent assistance.” Figuring that there was a very good chance it could be my mother (who could have still been alive. Or an reanimated corpse. Or a free-thinking corpse), I urged Cullus to study the door again. Another good roll (Arcana this time) allowed he and I to figure out the trick to opening the door. Along the edges of the door, incredibly faint and barely scratched into the surface, were a series of runes. Runes that belonged to the written language of the dark Gods, a language only an evil Cleric like my uncle could read and understand.

So basically, we needed an evil Cleric to open the door. Stannis wasn’t going to do it, of course. With this information in hand, the party reunited outside the morgue where my PC quietly asked Kreighton if he knew of any evil Clerics that had were imprisoned in Catra’Zal. Kreighton’s response was to spit on the ground and growl that there was indeed a Cleric who had been incarcerated a few weeks earlier for, and I quote, “spreading falsehoods, proclaiming blasphemy, and committing random acts of spontaneous reanimation.” This Cleric worshipped Qord, the Vile Betrayer, Neutral Evil God of the undead, greed, and decay. Qord is one of the more despicable gods in Tanicus, one who revels in misery and suffering, especially when it’s caused by the undead. EVERYONE hates Qord, even the Korvins.

But the door needed to be opened. With no other options, Varis and Cullus head to the Cleric’s cell where Cullus picks the lock. Inside, sitting cross legged on the floor, is an incredibly thin creature with bloodless lips, sharp teeth, and wicked claws. He’s already staring at me the moment the door opens. “You are not a guard,” he finally hisses, the GM’s voice making us feel very uncomfortable.

“No, I am not,” my Sorcerer responds. “My name is Varis Stormglass, and I am here because I need your assistance. In return I will give you an opportunity to leave this prison.”

“You need MY assistance? What use for a Cleric of the Vile Betrayer could someone like YOU possibly have, dragonblood?”

My young, sweet, incredibly naďve Sorcerer answers honestly. “My mother is quite possibly trapped in the warded prison cell around the corner and there’s a very good chance she is a sentient undead. Only a Cleric of the dark gods can open the door. You’re the only Cleric aside from Stannis in this prison and therefore the only one who could figure out how to unlock the cell.”

Pause.

And the Cleric busts out laughing. “You’re…THAT’S what Stannis had hidden away behind that door? YOUR undead parent? Oh, that is indeed precious. Very well! For the sake of my amusement and the potential look on your face when you lay eyes upon your undead mother, I will assist you…but on one condition. Only one condition. A simple request, really…”

X X X X X

“Um…Prince Dragonhall?”

“Yes, Varis…WHAT is HE doing here?”

“I am here at this young Sorcerer’s behest, my Prince,” the Cleric said with a smirk.

“What possible use could you have for this…this…fiend?”

“Watch your words, Prince. I have not yet agreed to anything, and may find my cell more enjoyable than watching your suffering.”

“Prince Dragonhall…this Cleric has agreed to help open the door to the warded cell. In return…in return, he asks for a writ of passage through Kaeryn so that he may travel through your country without fear of being harassed or slain simply because of his positon as a Priest of Qord.”

“He wants WHAT?!? Permission to wander MY country committing necromancy? By the light of the gods I would never allow such a thing! As a Priest of Qord, simply setting foot inside my country is a very affront to the gods I worship!”

“Prince Dragonhall,” the Cleric smirked, “I would never dream of breaking the laws of Kaeryn. Why do I care about your petty and short-sighted laws? All I am asking is to traverse your country free of persecution. I promise to obey your rules and raise no undead while inside your country’s borders. All I require is an official writ with your signature on it.”

Prince Dragonhall stares at the Cleric for a second…and then over to me. “On one condition. If this Cleric breaks his word and commits any crime while in my country, both of you will be held responsible. If he raises the dead, you and he will both be punished. If he steals from a farmer, you and he will both be punished. If he commits a crime but manages to escape, you will still be subject to his punishment. His actions will affect you, no matter where in the world you are, and I expect you to return to Kaeryn to face the consequences regardless of his presence of lack thereof. Do you accept these terms, Varis Stormglass?”

“…yes, Prince Draghonhall. I do.”

The writ is signed (ink by me, blood by the Cleric). After tucking it into his robes, the Cleric heads over to the door and studies the runes for a few moments. “Fascinating,” he finally says. “Do you have any sketch paper? I could use a lock like this in my future endevours.” He makes a copy of the runes, puts the paper in his robes, and then motions to me. “I need a piece of copper wire in order to open this door.” I had a piece in my spell components pouch and hand it over to him. He waves it over the door, touching the runes in a certain order and causing them to light up while…chanting and grinding his teeth in a language NONE of us understood. Eventually, the entire door flares with a sickly blue light and it swings open just an inch.

“Done. You may enter…and thank you for the copper wire. You came from the Prime Material Plane with it, correct?”

“I did.”

“Excellent. Goodbye Varis.” And with the wire as a component, the Cleric teleports back to the Prime Material Plane.

My PC doesn’t hear Tellisyn complaining that we’ve just let a Cleric of Qord loose in Tanicus. Instead, he’s sliding his knife into the one-inch crack between the wall and the door. With Cullus’ help, it slowly swings open to reveal what’s inside…

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 10, 2016

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
:suspense: This is getting complex and I love it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yawgmoth posted:

:suspense: This is getting complex and I love it.

Seconded. I need to know what happens next. Need.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
My tabletop bucket list:

- See a campaign through to the end as a player.
- Run a game that everyone enjoys, even if it doesn't finish
- Run a segment in a game that is an Iron Chef cooking contest
- Gundam Build Fighters homebrew where I make players build model kits
- Play with CobiWann and his group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

the_steve posted:

Seconded. I need to know what happens next. Need.

Make a Persuasion roll. :getin: