Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This one has the "play all" button which I consider mandatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

The Oculus tool isn't a benchmark, it just checks what the model name is. The Steam benchmark doesn't really test CPU either though I guess it technically tests the CPU a little as it runs a graphics test.

Yeah, I figured as much for the Oculus tool. Steam's gave me 5/13k CPU-bound frames, which sounds pretty good, but I can't imagine it puts a significant load on anything other than the GPU.

I'd just love to put off a CPU upgrade for as long as I can, since gains between generations are so slight now and I'll likely be using it for a good while. I went from a 560Ti to this 1070, so I'd like as close a performance jump to that as possible on the CPU side. :v:

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Echoing that you should be fine; I'm in the same boat, and the only issue I've run into with my Rift is the stupid warning banner in Home that I can't get rid of.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Warbird posted:

Figures they'd do a VR sale two days after I have to shell out for my car's AC to get fixed.
:suicide:

You should be glad that it happened in this order?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tamba posted:

My AC died so I put in a cooler filled with ice packs and plumbed one of the fans onto it, now I can buy all the VR games... Virtual Desktop is only 5% off though, that dude is stingy.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If you have a 2500K, do you have it Overclocked any or are you running it stock?

Stock it will be CPU limiting but that chip has a lot of headroom to run above 4Ghz which should alleviate pretty much any CPU limiting factor for any current VR game.

Also I just picked up the Beta for Everspace as the screen and gameplay looked really good as a VR Freelancer sort of game. (Rogue Galaxy is great too, but not in VR). So I will be checking that out this weekend I hope.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tamba posted:

Eh, if it was the other way around I could sweat out a few more pounds in my oven of a car.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Fixed the A/C in my car myself (20+ year old A/C hose and the replacement had stupidly long fittings that needed to be ground down. Also needed a new shrewder valve.) Nice n cool beater for work commuting now.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

EdEddnEddy posted:

If you have a 2500K, do you have it Overclocked any or are you running it stock?

Stock it will be CPU limiting but that chip has a lot of headroom to run above 4Ghz which should alleviate pretty much any CPU limiting factor for any current VR game.

Nope, I was an idiot back in 2011 and didn't shell out the extra dosh for the OC'able version. Had never OC'd a CPU before, thinking it still worked like it did in the Pentium2 days, so figured I didn't need it.

Honestly, I'm planning to get a i5-6600k sometime soon-ish, but was kind of hoping I could do a little VR in the meantime if I bought a headset.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Nope, I was an idiot back in 2011 and didn't shell out the extra dosh for the OC'able version. Had never OC'd a CPU before, thinking it still worked like it did in the Pentium2 days, so figured I didn't need it.

Honestly, I'm planning to get a i5-6600k sometime soon-ish, but was kind of hoping I could do a little VR in the meantime if I bought a headset.

It should still work fine, Oculus seems a bit more forgiving on CPU overhead than the Vive but outside of that you should still be able to play plenty.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Abu Dave posted:

For vive? I didn't know it didn't have it?

rock band joke

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Are there any good underwater games? World of Diving seems to be dead in the water (pun intended). Looking for ones that are about exploring and looking at fish rather than being underwater survival Sims.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Subnautica is early access and has VR support. There's some survival but you can choose how much survival down to just having no resources and you can just build whatever you want and look at things. It's early access and hasn't gone through the performance optimization yet, so framerates won't be the best.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got a few words on Solus Project on a Rift? I really dug walking around and looking at stuff in Chronos, still in that phase of having VR. Solus looks p cool and sounds like an easy buy during the Steam sale, but wondering if it sucks without motion controls or something?

I'm diggin Edge of Nowhere, thumbs up on grabbing that. Some of the environments are nice to look at (not as good as Chronos imo), gameplay ain't bad, and so far they've nailed the story/mystery/horror bits. That stuff is so much groovier in VR! It's like watching a horror movie was back when I was 12.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just got my Vive, picked up The Brookhaven Experiment and Blu.

Any must have games?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Subnautica is early access and has VR support. There's some survival but you can choose how much survival down to just having no resources and you can just build whatever you want and look at things. It's early access and hasn't gone through the performance optimization yet, so framerates won't be the best.

Unknown Worlds are developing that game and I'd really recommend anyone who is interested to check the game out. These guys were the team behind the HL1 mod Natural Selection and then eventually the standalone Natural Selection 2 game. Not only did they put their heart and souls into making NS2 to satisfy a fan base who waited a decade for a sequel, but they constantly worked on it and patched it for YEARS. Then when they moved onto a new game, they worked with the community to have community leaders take over development and the game is still being worked on today. These are the kind of people who deserve trust with an early access game, imo. During one of their fund drives I donated 300 bucks since I had been playing their games for free since I was like 14.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.

Warbird posted:

Figures they'd do a VR sale two days after I have to shell out for my car's AC to get fixed.
:suicide:

Could be worse. My apartment burnt the gently caress down 2 weeks ago. My car literally melted in the parking lot below.

Bye bye, Vive!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess it's not so bad that my mom's dog ate my vive.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Anyone know if it's possible to lie to the Vive about the size of your room? Mine is just a smidgen too tiny to do roomscale without a massive rearrangement of furniture

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Just trace over the furniture. I don't know about any software ways to trick it, but you can still paint boundaries above the furniture.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Even without official Vive support, Subnautica works really well through ReVive. Aside for occasional framerate lag it's a really good VR game.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, I've played Subnautica before - I guess I was hoping for a more 'realistic' one - basically something I can show my Dad next time he's down.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DareToSlack posted:

Could be worse. My apartment burnt the gently caress down 2 weeks ago. My car literally melted in the parking lot below.

Bye bye, Vive!

Get your priorities straight, you know what you need to do.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm posting in VR, and it loving owns. Virtual Desktop über alles

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
This is quite possibly the nerdiest accident ever.
My life-size Kylo Ren fell over, head-butted one of my monitors, which knocked both it and the Terminator bust that my Vive sat on onto the floor. Terminator died, Vive survived.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Pi Mu Rho posted:

This is quite possibly the nerdiest accident ever.
My life-size Kylo Ren fell over, head-butted one of my monitors, which knocked both it and the Terminator bust that my Vive sat on onto the floor. Terminator died, Vive survived.

Why do you own an Adam Driver realdoll?

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

Why do you own an Adam Driver realdoll?

Because I can?
(I actually have no clue what you meant)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How's Oculus' manufacturing and shipping for the UK? I got a friend living there and I'm considering shipping to his home either a Rift or a Vive and then go pick it up, but I remember hearing about how Oculus wasn't shipping new hardware for some reason.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Honest Thief posted:

How's Oculus' manufacturing and shipping for the UK? I got a friend living there and I'm considering shipping to his home either a Rift or a Vive and then go pick it up, but I remember hearing about how Oculus wasn't shipping new hardware for some reason.

I think the Vive just raised their price to the UK by 70 pounds today to make up for the shifting exchange rate, unfortunately :x

Last I heard Oculus had caught up on shipping, but I admit I haven't been following them as closely.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

EdEddnEddy posted:

It should still work fine, Oculus seems a bit more forgiving on CPU overhead than the Vive but outside of that you should still be able to play plenty.

That seems odd, considering that Oculus is doing image processing from a USB3 video stream, while the Vive is just picking up on pulsed lasers. Unless you meant the games in general?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

That seems odd, considering that Oculus is doing image processing from a USB3 video stream, while the Vive is just picking up on pulsed lasers. Unless you meant the games in general?

I think it's just down to the implementation. For whatever reason SteamVR seems to take up more overhead in the system resources than Oculus does.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

They are picking up light dots from a dark background. They aren't exactly doing facial recognition. SteamVR seems to always have the steamVR environment loaded for when you go to the menu, so it uses up more resources than the Rift.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

This seems like a dumb question but how do you move around in Subnautica with vive? My controller sticks aren't responding.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Because I can?

Pi Mu Rho posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pi Mu Rho posted:

If you own a life size Kylo Ren and don't know who Adam Driver is, one would have to question why you own a life size Kylo Ren.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: Getting them in the UK, scan.co.uk have Vives in stock

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/nda-htc-vive-virtual-reality-system-headset-2-wireless-controllers-movement-sensors

Unfortunately they have put their prices up (I got mine literally a couple of days ago, so just dodged an extra bill there)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Rec Room is hilarious, and paintball is a lot of fun to play.

Pretty much all the Microsoft Stores have them in stock if anyone is looking for a Vive. I just walked in and bought one.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If you own a life size Kylo Ren and don't know who Adam Driver is, one would have to question why you own a life size Kylo Ren.

Doh, I had a total brain fart there.
I keep him fed and watered, he's quite content. When he's not falling over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Cross-post but Google updated Tiltbrush with a rad update today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFzAB4mr3KI