Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What level are you at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Anybody ever have any issue with Clem using the experiment machines? I'm stuck with having to talk with the overseer and clem with the eye machine and they're just standing there.I'd just fix it with the console, but it's survival. No amount of re-loading, re-building or anything seems to help.

Edit: I figured it out. had to leave the vault and reenter to reset the actors.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 31, 2016

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Basic Chunnel posted:

What level are you at

Like 37. But the thing I was wondering about, why aren't they fighting? Pretty sure that every other time I've seen gunners and super mutants at the same place, they've been hostile with each other.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Just wait until they have us writing our own quests and dialogue too. With Microsoft Sam to voice act it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvdUjTB-C08

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ASTERISK CHUCKLE ASTERISK

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Smol posted:

Like 37. But the thing I was wondering about, why aren't they fighting? Pretty sure that every other time I've seen gunners and super mutants at the same place, they've been hostile with each other.

I ran into that last night as well, I assumed they were just out of sight of each other. The Behemoth was just standing there, as were the Gunners. Did you fast travel there? I did, so maybe it was something to do with them all being spawned there.

I was using my second character, so I am doing things slightly differently, whenever possible. For the Mechanist I went back after getting the third voice tape and used the elevator to go down and skipped the huge, annoying boss battle. Much more satisfying.

I like vault building to a degree, but it seems like the underground area is way too huge to use effectively.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Just wait until they have us writing our own quests and dialogue too. With Microsoft Sam to voice act it.

Ah, but you forget, with radiant quest design, we'd only really need to write the one

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 1, 2016

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What's a good spot to farm copper? I've cleared out vault 88 and I still need a ton for lighting.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Burn a perk on level 1 scrapper and snap up all the pipe weapons you find to melt down

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

What's a good spot to farm copper? I've cleared out vault 88 and I still need a ton for lighting.
It's a lot easier to just create a purified water farm and then buy shipments of whatever you need, assuming that you can fast travel.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Is this a bug, or does Vault 88 just natively have a way higher population cap? All my other settlements have capped out at 21 as usual, but Vault 88 is at 32 and apparently still growing. I like it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Ersatz posted:

It's a lot easier to just create a purified water farm and then buy shipments of whatever you need, assuming that you can fast travel.

Survival, so that's a bit tough to do. I'll probably just do my runs from my starlight settlement to diamond city which nets about 140 pre-war money per run from the lexington bank.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
One way I used to make money before going to Survival. Was by doing /scrapall on all the settlements. Picking up everything and then use strong back to get all the junk back to diamond city.

Selling all the extra concrete, steel, rubber and wood made me quite a lot of caps. Though some might consider it cheating.

Spectre island alone would net me thousands of caps worth of wood. In my opinion. If I have manually scrapped Sanctuary once then I don't see the problem with scrappall'ing it on future playthroughs.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

One way I used to make money before going to Survival. Was by doing /scrapall on all the settlements. Picking up everything and then use strong back to get all the junk back to diamond city.

Selling all the extra concrete, steel, rubber and wood made me quite a lot of caps. Though some might consider it cheating.

Spectre island alone would net me thousands of caps worth of wood. In my opinion. If I have manually scrapped Sanctuary once then I don't see the problem with scrappall'ing it on future playthroughs.

Does that scrap the weapons and armor workbenches and such, or just store them?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Orange Sunshine posted:

Does that scrap the weapons and armor workbenches and such, or just store them?

scrap :black101:

Don't worry. Diamond city has benches too.

Lasagna
Jun 20, 2001
I just built a pretty big Vault, but has no exits , except a secluded hallway that goes down to the water plant.

when the vault gets attacked (it happened with super mutants), the spawn points are at the entrance in quincy quarry and at the other two "secret exits" in north and northeast sectors (which end at milton hospital and near university point).

So if they come from the secret entrances you got enemies you can't kill cause they are in the cave but outside the vault. (they could shoot me thru the windows cause I forgot to put the windows on :) ).
Sometimes though one enemy remains at the entrance so you have to go all the way to the entrance to kill him. (you can't see him on the radar cause it's too distant , but you know soemthing is left cause the quest is still active)

Better then keep a door to get to the cave quickly or putting some turrets arrays at the entrance of the two aforementioned sectors.

Also when you get Clem to do the powercycle experiment (the one where it blows up the bike), it damages all the generators you have, even if they're not connected to each other. until you repair them all I think the lights int the vault are actually dimmer

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
So, playing with various DLC poo poo:

Yay, Energy Weapons Forge! :toot: Chunking out Laser Gatlings all day long... except for some reason, despite literal tons of nearly every scrap item*, it only seems to work if I feed it raw materials. Oh well.

* - Jangles/Toy Rocketships/Pre-War Money/Giddyup/Deathclaw Hands/Comfy Pillows/all Dog Tags/unique or really rare things like Amontillado Bottles and Macready's Toy Soldier, all those are stashed with my collection of Miscellaneous rubbish. Because I say so. :colbertofthewasteland:

However, I can make plasma mines and grenades, but not energy weapons ammo? <koff> BULLSHIT <koff>

OK, I'll make some clothes, then... whaddya mean, I can't make bathrobes? Sequin dresses? Tuxedos? *Any* hats? (see "bullshit" comment above)

Hmm, no scrap stations in underground areas (Mechanist's Lair or 88). No cages nor Beta-Wave Emitters, either. :smith:

For places that can take cages, I have a fascinating idea that probably won't work. Cage, powered via a switchable line. Pressure sensor inside the cage, to cut power, and pressure/tripline at the cage exit to power back up upon exit. (I suspect it won't accept the internal sensor, and possibly only actually spawns the captive on cage opening.)

How many Deathclaws can a settlement support, anyway?

Oh, and my issue with the partially-equipped settler was fixed after a complete exit-and-restart, but only after time had passed - immediate reload/restart didn't fix it, but several realtime hours later? Okey-dokey. :iiam:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fired up the game again (first time since release) with Far Habor, Automatron, and the new Contraptions DLC (and a lot of mods). Spent 10 hours just fiddling around making my settlement with tgm on. Dunno why I love it so much but I do. The homemaker mod adds a lot of fun stuff.

The ball tracks look cool... but has anyone done anything cool with them? I could make a decent Rube Goldberg machine I suppose but it'd be nice if it had some actual function to it. Any ideas?

e: oh if anyone has suggestions for mods that are good but maybe a little obscure that'd be cool too, I mostly just go on the Nexus and sort by highest rated and go from there.

AwkwardKnob posted:

That's been the biggest buzzkill with the mods for me - how difficult and rare it is for modders to create custom assets for the game. After all this time, there are still only the basic guard posts, for example - it looks kind of ridiculous sticking one of those next to a heavily fortified concrete bunker.

Also the homemaker mod just has what's basically a welcome mat you can throw down as a 'guard post' which is cool bc then you can just build whatever you want around it.

But yeah it takes 1-2 years for the mods to really flourish imo - Skyrim has some amazing ones now but that game came out years ago at this point. There's def a lot of modders who wait for all the DLCs to come out and the patches to settle before they start a bigger project.

The 'mods work then something happens and things are broken' seems to be a really common issue with the Steam Workshop... they should do something about that maybe like archive the previous 2 versions so you can roll back if there's an issue and the mod author vanished.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 1, 2016

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Finally fully automated Spectacle Island's water purification. At first I was shaking my fist at Bethesda because it seemed impossible to attach a vacuum hopper to the workbench because it's in such a tight area. I ended up building a huge platform of flooring all the way around behind the workbench and backing a vacuum hopper up against the wall. It actually works; the wall's thin enough that the hopper's able to ignore it and suck everything from the workbench. I fully expect to come back later to find zillions of purified waters.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Machines only function when you are present

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You will get a ton of purified water, but the hopper will only start working when you get there so it's probably more efficient to just grab it out of the workbench, but the vacuum hopper system will be a lot cooler at least.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

The ball tracks look cool... but has anyone done anything cool with them? I could make a decent Rube Goldberg machine I suppose but it'd be nice if it had some actual function to it. Any ideas?

In theory, you could make an mechanical computer through the use of laser switches, but without a real way to return a bowling ball to it's starting position of this goldberg machine, it's kind of pointless. However, the Contraptions DLC also comes with logic switch, which renders the one possible use for all the track and ball stuff entirely mute.

If they really wanted to make it useful, the ball tracks would have been gravity chutes instead so they could have a possible use when combined with the conveyor belts.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do the balls themselves cause damage if they hit you at a high speed? I guess probably not bc if physics objects hurt you then we'd all die constantly to spinning pots and pans...

Was thinking about maybe doing some Dwarf Fortress minecart railgun style thing.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Do the balls themselves cause damage if they hit you at a high speed? I guess probably not bc if physics objects hurt you then we'd all die constantly to spinning pots and pans...

Was thinking about maybe doing some Dwarf Fortress minecart railgun style thing.

Meanwhile if you sprint and poke a car it's possible to nudge it a fraction. If it then ends up nudging you back. You are killed instantly. As if the game registered that you were hit by a falling car or what not.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 1, 2016

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Ersatz posted:

Okay, but are there any particular merchants that reliably stock copper shipments? I've recently found myself running out of copper as well.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

The Cubelodyte posted:

Okay, but are there any particular merchants that reliably stock copper shipments? I've recently found myself running out of copper as well.

The weapon vendor in Diamond city and goodneighbor should have shipments of copper.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

The weapon vendor in Diamond city and goodneighbor should have shipments of copper.

This is correct.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Stealth caution mode means the enemies aren't supposed to know where you are... but the game cheats and they shoot at you.

I spotted this behavior pretty clearly when doing the Defending the Castle quest. I planned ahead and built a little shack up in the air above the castle courtyard, with doors in all directions and stairs going up to it. Then when the quest starts, I remove the stairs, and now I'm in a floating building which the enemies can't reach. They have set spawn points and don't just appear anywhere, so they can't spawn into my floating shack.

So I open a door, fire out at them with a sniper rifle, then close it or duck back in where they can't see me. I'm in sneak mode and in caution mode pretty much the whole time, only occasionally going into danger mode briefly.

Late in the fight, when all the coursers have arrived and destroyed all my turrets, there are often periods where all the minutemen on the ground are downed temporarily and the coursers and synths have no targets but me. So, even though I'm behind walls and sneaking in caution mode and they should have no idea where I am, they fire at me constantly. Somehow they mysteriously know just where I am inside the building, they don't just shoot at the building at random.

So, the game cheats.

Also, their laser fire occasionally hits me right through the floor, god knows how that happens.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

In fairness, this particular scenario you describe might be how the game deals with players who are using bizarre cover exploits or it might be some end-run around a corner case. Just spitballing though.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Orange Sunshine posted:

Stealth caution mode means the enemies aren't supposed to know where you are... but the game cheats and they shoot at you.

I spotted this behavior pretty clearly when doing the Defending the Castle quest. I planned ahead and built a little shack up in the air above the castle courtyard, with doors in all directions and stairs going up to it. Then when the quest starts, I remove the stairs, and now I'm in a floating building which the enemies can't reach. They have set spawn points and don't just appear anywhere, so they can't spawn into my floating shack.

So I open a door, fire out at them with a sniper rifle, then close it or duck back in where they can't see me. I'm in sneak mode and in caution mode pretty much the whole time, only occasionally going into danger mode briefly.

Late in the fight, when all the coursers have arrived and destroyed all my turrets, there are often periods where all the minutemen on the ground are downed temporarily and the coursers and synths have no targets but me. So, even though I'm behind walls and sneaking in caution mode and they should have no idea where I am, they fire at me constantly. Somehow they mysteriously know just where I am inside the building, they don't just shoot at the building at random.

So, the game cheats.

Also, their laser fire occasionally hits me right through the floor, god knows how that happens.

It means that they have a general idea of where you might be. They will fire in your direction but not right at you while in caution.

Makes sense really. Certain there must be something in between "No one is around" and "fire in the distance and people dropping"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

Nah, they don't know where you are, they're just blind-firing in the general direction of where they think a sniper is. If you reposition after each shot, they'll be completely clueless.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Speedball posted:

Nah, they don't know where you are, they're just blind-firing in the general direction of where they think a sniper is. If you reposition after each shot, they'll be completely clueless.

This is true. I spent far too long trying to take a super mutant camp in survival and saw thus in action. It made me learn to fall back more, although if you have crappy sneak this can also alert them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wolfsheim posted:

This is true. I spent far too long trying to take a super mutant camp in survival and saw thus in action. It made me learn to fall back more, although if you have crappy sneak this can also alert them.

Sneaking almost seems to alert things more than not sneaking. On my melee playthrough I was so unconcerned with anything noticing me I just walked everywhere and it was my single least engaged walk through the glowing sea ever. I'd see deathclaws and they'd do their little "what was that!?" animation then get over it as I just marched on through. Sneaking they're all over me

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Azhais posted:

Sneaking almost seems to alert things more than not sneaking. On my melee playthrough I was so unconcerned with anything noticing me I just walked everywhere and it was my single least engaged walk through the glowing sea ever. I'd see deathclaws and they'd do their little "what was that!?" animation then get over it as I just marched on through. Sneaking they're all over me

If you're sneaking you must be up to no good :colbert:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

If enemies are actively searching for you then sneak-walk instead of the default sneak-run, at least until you have enough Agi or Cov Ops books or Sneak 4. Caps lock toggles it on the PC.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

For places that can take cages, I have a fascinating idea that probably won't work. Cage, powered via a switchable line. Pressure sensor inside the cage, to cut power, and pressure/tripline at the cage exit to power back up upon exit. (I suspect it won't accept the internal sensor, and possibly only actually spawns the captive on cage opening.)

How many Deathclaws can a settlement support, anyway?

There's an achievement for getting a certain number. I doubt that's the maximum. I had been trying to find that out myself but they kept wandering off somewhere and then I got bored.

Your plan won't work though. In order for the cage to reactivate you have to reconnect the power AND repair it. also in its ready state the door is open, it's only closed when it has caught something. If you could shut the door after releasing its captive, you wouldn't be able to catch another captive.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

There's an achievement for getting a certain number. I doubt that's the maximum. I had been trying to find that out myself but they kept wandering off somewhere and then I got bored.

Your plan won't work though. In order for the cage to reactivate you have to reconnect the power AND repair it. also in its ready state the door is open, it's only closed when it has caught something. If you could shut the door after releasing its captive, you wouldn't be able to catch another captive.

Only have to repair it if it's damaged, and if it's not a humanoid the Betaliciousness will mellow them out so they don't have to be shot at. :feelsgood: A power switch on the side is all I need to cut power, which release the captive, and flipping it back readies the box for the next guest.

Power On - ready to capture
Captured
Captured <whatever> trips pressure sensor, which cuts power
Power Off - door opens
Captured <whatever> wanders out, tripping external pressure sensor/laser tripwire
Sensor/tripwire switches power back on
Power On - ready to capture

I think the logic gates could be used for this, I'd have to look at 'em.

Right now, I need to get some hunting in - ran out of Yao Guai meat, and Finch Farm would really like a few puppies Deathpuppies to discourage assholes. (County Crossing is already set.)

Another question - has anyone ever had the Mechanist's Lair be attacked? I've got something stupid like 0 people and 4 defense there, but no one ever shows.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Azhais posted:

Machines only function when you are present

Lame. Guess I'll be leaving my character idling there overnight.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Speedball posted:

Yes, this is true. If you're in caution mode, they'll still fire in your general direction, but you'll notice they are much, much less accurate than if they knew your exact location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Honestly, the fact that the AI is smart enough to do that is impressive. You don't see that in a lot of shooter games, RPG or not.

• Locked thread