Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Drunken Baker posted:

The Suicide Squad thread seems to be exclusively talking about how to do a proper squat these days, but I wanted to mention something in here.

It seems multiple scenes from SS have been cut. Namely any scene that shows Joker abusing Harley. Slapping her, the torture sequence etc. I'm wondering if they were cut for moral reasons or if they wanted to push their romance without the weird kink stuff.

They're probably gambling on the already disastrous and in need of a reboot DCU running for a long time and don't want there to always be the gross subtext of Harley being a Stockholm syndrome victim of shaggy 2dope, which is probably the first and last good decision they've made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm also really curious now about how this'll resonate with the fangirls. Will they still love a non-abusive Joker? Or is that pert of the charm.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Drunken Baker posted:

I'm also really curious now about how this'll resonate with the fangirls. Will they still love a non-abusive Joker? Or is that pert of the charm.

"In my headcanon Mr. J raped Harley with a snubnose .38 until her cervix prolapsed"

- cosplayers

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Isn't a huge part of Harleys character the fact that she's a tragic Stockholm victim?

Lol nah lets just cut that part of her character out cuz that's yucky.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Drunken Baker posted:

The Suicide Squad thread seems to be exclusively talking about how to do a proper squat these days, but I wanted to mention something in here.

It seems multiple scenes from SS have been cut. Namely any scene that shows Joker abusing Harley. Slapping her, the torture sequence etc. I'm wondering if they were cut for moral reasons or if they wanted to push their romance without the weird kink stuff.

I am totally fine with overt rape metaphors or outright rape depictions not being present in a comic book movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gutcruncher posted:

Isn't a huge part of Harleys character the fact that she's a tragic Stockholm victim?

Sort of? IIRC she was a psychiatrist who went crazy dealing with Arkham patients, and the Joker was just so insane she followed his lead.

But I'm sure someone will say some weirdo MRA writer changed the backstory in issue 1154 so she was raped by the Joker for 10 years until she finally cracked because comic books are loving awful.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Xenomorph, you're a smart dude and I appreciate your posts. Don't let the cineD idiots get you down.

Have we decided who dies first in suicide squad? It's gotta be knottyman right?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
PERSONALLY I like the narrative of Harley being a psychiatrist who fell in love with the craziest dude in Arkham and decided to let loose and go a little crazy herself, rather than the Joker loving torturing Harley until she broke and went insane and then (???) fell in love with him

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zombie Boat posted:

Xenomorph, you're a smart dude and I appreciate your posts. Don't let the cineD idiots get you down.

obviously, it's almost too telegraphed it makes me suspicious

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunken Baker posted:

Don't kinkshame please

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drunken Baker posted:

I guarantee you that these played out a lot worse than they intended once the film was in post and some editors/directors went 'yeah naaaaaaah' imagining the shitstorm that would ensue from the media

Like I get that they prolly went for typical comic Joker/Harley thing maybe even pushing for slapstick but in life action it just made everyone really uncomfortable about putting it in a movie meant to be more fun and lighthearted

Gutcruncher posted:

Her character is she was a therapist at Arkham and got a little toooo interested in the patients and went nuts herself. Sure there's prolly some undertext of Stockholm in there but you don't need scenes of Joker abusing Harley to get to that.

Flesh Forge posted:

outright rape depictions.... comic book movie.

nail on the head

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 1, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zombie Boat posted:

Slipknot is laughably disposable and an ethnic actor. 100% guaranteed chance of death.

Enchantress is the villain. 95% chance of death.

Katana is unbelievably disposable. Ethnic actor. 90% chance of death.

Rick Flag is a disposable good guy. 75% chance of death.

Killer Croc requires a practical effects budget. Ethnic actor. 50% chance of death.

El Diablo requires cheap effects. Ethnic actor. 30% chance of death.

Captain Boomerang is a semi-popular character from the villain-desert Flash comics, played by a waning flavor of the month actor. 25% chance of death.

Will Smith won't do a sequel but he's Will Smith so he'll probably walk off into the sunset.

Harley/Robbie is under contract.

Joker/Leto is under contract.

Batfleck and The Flash obviously won't die.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Slipknot is laughably disposable and an ethnic actor. 100% guaranteed chance of death.

Killer Croc requires a practical effects budget. Ethnic actor. 50% chance of death.

Captain Boomerang is a semi-popular character from the villain-desert Flash comics, played by a waning flavor of the month actor. 25% chance of death.

Will Smith won't do a sequel but he's Will Smith so he'll probably walk off into the sunset.

This is pretty spot on except I would move croc up just because he's croc and not batman pretending to be croc.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'd move El Diablo to second behind Slipknot. I would also give Rick Flag a no-zero chance of death, just because he's the audience insert character for white males. Killer Croc and Katana will likely survive since they're Batman characters, so under 50%. Enchantress will redeem herself somehow so I give her 50%.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one will die

except the lasso guy or whatever his deal is, because lol

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Zombie Boat posted:

This is pretty spot on except I would move croc up just because he's croc and not batman pretending to be croc.

and then he throws a rock at Batman

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Glass Joe posted:

and then he throws a rock at Batman

it was a big rock! *shrugs*

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i watched the shadow again yesterday. shadow update: still owns

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A few sites reported recently that Smith will be coming back for the sequel next year and Robbie will be in a spinoff with a bunch of other female DC characters but they based that off "unnamed sources" and pointed out that "Warner Bros. isn’t commenting". Possibly because they're bullshit internet rumours and no one bothered to ask WB. :v:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Squad_(film)#Sequel

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A few sites reported recently that Smith will be coming back for the sequel next year and Robbie will be in a spinoff with a bunch of other female DC characters but they based that off "unnamed sources" and pointed out that "Warner Bros. isn’t commenting". Possibly because they're bullshit internet rumours and no one bothered to ask WB. :v:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Squad_(film)#Sequel

Yeah, there's supposedly talk of Will Smith as Deadshot in that eventual Ben Affleck Batman movie, but we will see.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

there's a lot about suicide squad that i find strange, but i think the fact that Will Smith is still actually in it is the craziest thing

Tom Hardy was clever to escape this mess of 12 characters

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fonzarelli posted:

there's a lot about suicide squad that i find strange, but i think the fact that Will Smith is still actually in it is the craziest thing

Tom Hardy was clever to escape this mess of 12 characters

Wasn't he actually super mad about it? Ranting about how he could be making more money on a super hero movie while they were taking forever to shoot The Revenant?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

he generally seems like a grumpy bitch but i think he quit because they were giving more time to will smith and jared leto and it probably wasn't worth being in a piece of poo poo for only a bit

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Tom Hardy is frankly too good and handsome to be in a movie with poo poo tier idiots like Jai Courtney and Jared Leto.

Especially if he has to play second fiddle to a Shyamalan alumni.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I thought this WAS the Suicide Squad thread.

Joker is absolutely a dick to Harley, but you don't need to refilm Hostel to get that across.

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster
hi ive been lurking for a while. is the cinema discusso forum just loving with us or are they committed to loving garbage

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Fuckman posted:

hi ive been lurking for a while. is the cinema discusso forum just loving with us or are they committed to loving garbage

There are people who aren't ridiculous and think utter poo poo is a pile of gold. However, they're mostly drowned out by stupid.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

She's poised to make a real brand out of this character and make bathtubs full of money, which she will take moneybubble baths in if it goes her way

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

She's poised to make a real brand out of this character and make bathtubs full of money, which she will take moneybubble baths in if it goes her way

This should be the entirety of Suicide Squad 2.

Also, of Justice League

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Flesh Forge posted:

Despite the atrocities committed by WB when Tim Burton and Chris Nolan aren't there to tell them to gently caress off, they still make shitloads of money from brain damaged retards, and if Margot Robbie can retire on a loving mountain of cash without having to get naked anymore, then more power to her.

Hopefully Leto either goes Ledger and dies from shooting demerol into his dick, or goes Romero and just does the character under contract but refuses to shave or work late so he just becomes a bit part.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
margot robbie has no rear end though, where did her rear end go?? harley with no dumper 3/10

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Halp, my psychiatrist lady doesn't have a huge rear end.

E: actually irl she does

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

I am totally fine with overt rape metaphors or outright rape depictions not being present in a comic book movie.

The best comic books at their core were always about social commentary and complex issues. And also, gently caress me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair Tim Burton and Chris Nolan are overrated as hell in hindsight and all they ever really tried was Batman which is the pumpkin spice latte of superheroes for basic bastard boys. Batman is so flexible that while those guys did good work even a remarkably hack director like Snyder and mediocre actor like Affleck ( I like the guy a lot but it's true, he's a way better director than anything) can make him work. This is from someone who looks back on both avengers movies and thinks that whedon succeeded in spite of himself, mind you. I'm not looking to poo poo on Warner Brothers in particular.

Suicide squad will clean up and Margot Robbie is going to make stupid amounts of money once Warner Brothers and her agent realize she's the only thing they've got that is 100% working across all demographics. I've never been a big harley fan but I get the appeal and Robbie seems to get what her job is.

The rest of the movie looks like garbage. It honest to god looks like David Ayer couldn't afford a full lighting set up. Say what you will about the marvel movies looking basic but even in their physically darkest movies you didn't have to squint to get a sense of what characters are on screen. Hell even Bryan Singer doesn't fall prey to that in his Xmen movies and he's worse than Snyder.

I'm still laughing at big Willie style in this though. I'd kill to be the fly on the wall of his trailer as he had to relearn how to not be the center of a movie's attention.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The first death is Slipknot. Boomerang does that thing in the comic and convinces him the bombs are a bluff and his head explodes.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Drunken Baker posted:

The first death is Slipknot. Boomerang does that thing in the comic and convinces him the bombs are a bluff and his head explodes.

why would you even bother spoiling this?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The movie looks okay

Like most of David Ayers movies, I believe it will be "ok"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They even released the first part of the scene a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WePMAh3NsM8

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I have no idea.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They even released the first part of the scene a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WePMAh3NsM8

I had no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i still have no idea who anyone in this movie is

• Locked thread