Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Some people have been taking this quote to mean that Trump is going to call for violence when he loses, but I feel like they're forgetting something very important about Trump. Trump's public persona and everything that he does is centered around being A Winner(tm), or at the very least not a Loser. It's a central part of his campaign, from talking about how America is going to be winning all the time when he's president (so much winning! You'll be sick of winning!), to feverishly jumping on every poll that shows him ahead so he can brag about how much he's going to win the election by. When he started getting attention and support during the primaries, he brushed off all criticism of his statements by pointing to the fact that he was winning, and he used the fact that he was already winning as a reason why people should vote for him. If there's anything that is actually important to Trump, it's this perception of him being A Winner, and with Clinton in the lead, that perception is seriously under threat in a very public way.

I imagine that we're going to be seeing a lot more predictions from Trump about how the election is going to be rigged, but not because he's going to use it to call for violence. It's because he desperately wants to create a narrative where even though he loses the election, he's not a Loser. He's still totally a Winner guys, and he totally would have won that election if it was fair. Many people were predicting during the primaries that Trump didn't want to be president, and that he was going to simply ride his campaign to the point where he could gracefully exit while still somehow maintaining the idea that he "won." I think that's what we're seeing here too: if he successfully creates this narrative, he'll get to leave the campaign on November 9th flush with attention, claim he totally would have won, and then not have to actually be president.

Yeah, and that's probably the best way for the Clinton camp to respond - point out that not only is this talk dangerous and irresponsible, it's also the talk of someone who's terrified of losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm probably going to travel to a swing state to do GOTV for Clinton. Is there a city where really good turnout flips both a senate seat and a house seat?

I went to Ohio (Cincinnati & Middletown) in 2004 and Las Cruces, NM in 2008. I'd rather not go to Florida. Where should I go?

PA is always a prime choice because its basically Philly and Pitt versus the rest of the state

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have never felt schadenfreude quite this strong before

Lets all bask in the glory that Trump has been totally hosed by literally a Muslim Immigrant.

Like... if that doesn't put a huge smile on your face literally nothing will.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm probably going to travel to a swing state to do GOTV for Clinton. Is there a city where really good turnout flips both a senate seat and a house seat?

I went to Ohio (Cincinnati & Middletown) in 2004 and Las Cruces, NM in 2008. I'd rather not go to Florida. Where should I go?

Arizona

edit - actually no, because even if AZ looks like it's going to flip, Trump won't split his resources there because he has no resources anywhere.

PA probably,bring a sack of HRC campaign D cells and pass them out in Philly

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 1, 2016

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Yeah, this lovely state may actually flip if the Hispanic community goes out big this year. Doubly so if the Native community decides to say no to Trump. Sun City and the white rural areas aren't going to stop that.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

FilthyImp posted:

I need Clinton to walk away with like 370 EVs. Cmon Nate stop edging me

Eu4 called it:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dr Christmas posted:

Are there examples of any presidential candidate talking about a private citizen who spoke against them at a convention at all? Can you imagine Obama talking about Joe he Plumber or Bush talking about Cindy Sheehan on the campaign trail?

bush, when asked about cindy had very empathetic words for her

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah the Khans can just back out now. Trump is Centralia, all the Khans did was light a match.

More like the yuan dynasty if we are lucky

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Jill Stein is working very hard to make me regret not voting for Rocky Anderson in 2012.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

PA is always a prime choice because its basically Philly and Pitt versus the rest of the state
That would be good because gently caress Toomey.
Is there a house seat in play?

Edit: I guess it'd be Pennsylvania's 8th.

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 2, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, and that's probably the best way for the Clinton camp to respond - point out that not only is this talk dangerous and irresponsible, it's also the talk of someone who's terrified of losing.
It's too early to do it now, but if Clinton ever starts seeing a consistent +10 or +15 lead in the polls, I firmly believe that some prominent non-Hillary person should come straight out and call Trump a loser. Trump desperately trying to explain why they're wrong would, I think, be the final nail in the coffin for his campaign, and we all know Trump wouldn't be able to stop himself from trying.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KiteAuraan posted:

Yeah, this lovely state may actually flip if the Hispanic community goes out big this year. Doubly so if the Native community decides to say no to Trump. Sun City and the white rural areas aren't going to stop that.

Arizona might be really exciting!

In Maricopa County, I have high hopes for a new recorder after the fuckup of the Presidential Preference Primary.

I spent all day hanging out with voters, and there were a ton of people who were voting for the first time, and said that Trump was their motivation.

Several times a car slowly drove by and some guy leaned out the window to yell "gently caress TRUMP!" and got fairly enthusiastic cheers from the crowd.

These were different people in different cars, all independently acting.

At that location, line was closed at 7. Last vote was cast shortly after 11.

People were showing up and being turned away for being late until about 8.

People are really loving scared of Trump.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Hermsgervørden posted:

Pennsylvania 8th District. Northern suburb (Bucks county) of Philadelphia.

This is the guy running for the House seat - http://santarsieroforcongress.com/

And this is our Dem Senate hopeful - http://katiemcginty.com/

Ranges from working class to "soccer mom" to rural, 82% white (also it's the district next to me, and I'll gladly join you goon)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This thread is really hard to keep up with at times.

Oh, and as a side note, I'm beginning to see /r/politics slowly swing if not pro-Clinton at least thoroughly anti Trump with a consistent number of pro-Clinton comments.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

and yet i see leftists defend her and act like all that stuff is a lie or that she is trying to explain things slowly to the anti-vaxers/anti-gmo/whatever.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Some people have been taking this quote to mean that Trump is going to call for violence when he loses, but I feel like they're forgetting something very important about Trump. Trump's public persona and everything that he does is centered around being A Winner(tm), or at the very least not a Loser. It's a central part of his campaign, from talking about how America is going to be winning all the time when he's president (so much winning! You'll be sick of winning!), to feverishly jumping on every poll that shows him ahead so he can brag about how much he's going to win the election by. When he started getting attention and support during the primaries, he brushed off all criticism of his statements by pointing to the fact that he was winning, and he used the fact that he was already winning as a reason why people should vote for him. If there's anything that is actually important to Trump, it's this perception of him being A Winner, and with Clinton in the lead, that perception is seriously under threat in a very public way.

I imagine that we're going to be seeing a lot more predictions from Trump about how the election is going to be rigged, but not because he's going to use it to call for violence. It's because he desperately wants to create a narrative where even though he loses the election, he's not a Loser. He's still totally a Winner guys, and he totally would have won that election if it was fair. Many people were predicting during the primaries that Trump didn't want to be president, and that he was going to simply ride his campaign to the point where he could gracefully exit while still somehow maintaining the idea that he "won." I think that's what we're seeing here too: if he successfully creates this narrative, he'll get to leave the campaign on November 9th flush with attention, claim he totally would have won, and then not have to actually be president.

I can see that. it explains alot of his projection.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

This thread is really hard to keep up with at times.
Every day I wake up and skip past the 800 posts that happened while I was asleep and then just follow it from there.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Higher turnout in Arizona gets rid of Arpaio.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and yet i see leftists defend her and act like all that stuff is a lie or that she is trying to explain things slowly to the anti-vaxers/anti-gmo/whatever.

I can see that. it explains alot of his projection.

Yeah they're idiots if they think Jill Stein is anything but an antiscience hack at this point.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah they're idiots if they think Jill Stein is anything but an antiscience hack at this point.

I don't think that Jill Stein is an anti science hack. I think her base is antiscience and if she makes a firm statement in support of vaccines without any caveats about the FDA being corrupted, they'll turn on her.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I wonder why Trump's fake cufflinks haven't been more of a story. (Or did I miss the big blow up on them in a previous month's USPOL?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp6BIDCZRic

And Sheen's not the only one either:

http://nypost.com/2016/06/21/trump-has-been-giving-out-fake-diamond-cuff-links-for-years/

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Higher turnout in Arizona gets rid of Arpaio.

God, that would make this year.

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS
Would you believe me if I told you that Donald Trump now appears to have an ongoing beef with fire marshals?

What other conclusion can we draw after a second tantrum about event capacity in less than a week?

Donnie is really reaching peak frenzy right now, to the point where it's tricky to keep track of all the 'gaffes,' but this stands out to me as particularly bizarre. Like, what the gently caress is going through his head here?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Would you believe me if I told you that Donald Trump now appears to have an ongoing beef with fire marshals?

What other conclusion can we draw after a second tantrum about event capacity in less than a week?

Donnie is really reaching peak frenzy right now, to the point where it's tricky to keep track of all the 'gaffes,' but this stands out to me as particularly bizarre. Like, what the gently caress is going through his head here?

It's just good politics to attack firefighters. It's like bashing the TSA or the IRS, that'll really get him some brownie points with the average joe.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Has anyone else found themselves walking with an extra spring in their step the last few days?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/760258150926782464

Trump just guaranteed himself another day of media coverage over this Khan flap.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

DaveWoo posted:

Trump just guaranteed himself another day of media coverage over this Khan flap.

Whoever it was that booked Mr Khan to appear at the convention should get a cabinet position.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hermsgervørden posted:

NC could flip to a Dem Senator and Governor, dunno about house races. The recent SCOTUS ordered redistricting means last election results are out the window.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't think that Jill Stein is an anti science hack. I think her base is antiscience and if she makes a firm statement in support of vaccines without any caveats about the FDA being corrupted, they'll turn on her.

Her devout pandering crosses the line to antiscience hack. Same result: children suffering of diseases that should have been eliminated in the united states.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

What does this even mean?!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

NC could flip to a Dem Senator and Governor, dunno about house races. The recent SCOTUS ordered redistricting means last election results are out the window.

Please come to NC we need the Governor gone NOW.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

What does this even mean?!

Muslim = Terrorist?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Muslim = Terrorist?

Yeah but I like... is he saying that he was upset because terrorists or coming into the country (and is secretly on Trump's side) or is he saying he is a terrorist or... I honestly just can't tell his point.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

DemeaninDemon posted:

Her devout pandering crosses the line to antiscience hack. Same result: children suffering of diseases that should have been eliminated in the united states.

Most of her supporters in my group of friends that have pretty much said #NeverClinton and #NeverTrump are forgiving all her weird medical poo poo or hand waived it off. "she isn't anti-vax but anti Lobbyist" or Cllinton/Trump will start WWIII so who is the real monster :smug: " has been the term thrown out at me every time. I've ignored them for the most part now.

That or they want Johnson and I still can never understand their rational from going Bernie to Johnson. That is the ultimate :psyduck:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

He's saying Khan is upset because Trump won't let his terrorist buddies in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

He's saying Khan is upset because Trump won't let his terrorist buddies in.

I guess I was thinking that Donald Trump would not go so far as to call the parents of a dead war hero terrorists and that is my mistake.

gregday
May 23, 2003

The Ninth Layer posted:

terrorist buddies

The weakest in the Air Bud franchise.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Muslim = Terrorist?

This right here. Radical Islam = Muslim in the eyes of him and his base. Radical is just the more PC way for them to try to appeal to potential independents. The Dog whistle just came audible in that statement is all.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
All the conspiracy theorist and alt-right sites have taken the position of "Kzhir Khan is an agent of the Muslim Brotherhood" so maybe that's where Trump is coming from (but not outright stating).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but I like... is he saying that he was upset because terrorists or coming into the country (and is secretly on Trump's side) or is he saying he is a terrorist or... I honestly just can't tell his point.

He's saying Khan is upset with Trump because Trump will stop allowing Radical Islamic Terrorists TM from entering the country, implying that Khan himself is a Radical Islamic Terrorist TM supporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Spiffster posted:

Most of her supporters in my group of friends that have pretty much said #NeverClinton and #NeverTrump are forgiving all her weird medical poo poo or hand waived it off. "she isn't anti-vax but anti Lobbyist" or Cllinton/Trump will start WWIII so who is the real monster :smug: " has been the term thrown out at me every time. I've ignored them for the most part now.

That or they want Johnson and I still can never understand their rational from going Bernie to Johnson. That is the ultimate :psyduck:

She's also vehemently anti nuclear and that's another knock in my book.

• Locked thread