Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
On an iPhone, is GPS drift better or worse with Wifi on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Dr Tran posted:

Off.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

post of the year

Dr Tran posted:

Your location is calculated more accurately with wi-fi on, so if your goal is to make the GPS spaz out for free egg hatching, turn it off.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i wanted to download that Poke Scanner app but it says not to use your main google account (or rather, the one tied to pokemon go). do i need to do something special in the Google Play shop to make sure that happens or can i just download as normal and then log into it as a separate account

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Countblanc posted:

i wanted to download that Poke Scanner app but it says not to use your main google account (or rather, the one tied to pokemon go). do i need to do something special in the Google Play shop to make sure that happens or can i just download as normal and then log into it as a separate account
It has you use a different account so you can play on your main account while scanning/mapping on a different account with a spoofed GPS. If you used your main account you'd likely get soft banned for jumping around the map and requesting multiple scans. I've never used it but I'm just assuming that once you start the app it'll have you input account details for whatever account you want it to use to do the scanning.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Fix posted:

I don't understand the authentication code thing from the pokeadvisor site. I'd rather not turn over my email and password to every site that crops up.

My understanding is that you're not giving Pokéadvisor your email/password, but rather a one-time use key generated by Google for your email address. The site asks for another one each time you log in.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

kuroiXiru posted:

My understanding is that you're not giving Pokéadvisor your email/password, but rather a one-time use key generated by Google for your email address. The site asks for another one each time you log in.

Who knows how it works - it's not worth it for a stat that makes like a 10% difference at best. Anyone handing their credentials over to a site that has a warning on the landing page about how they can't prove they're not stealing your info is retarded.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Bold Robot posted:

Who knows how it works - it's not worth it for a stat that makes like a 10% difference at best. Anyone handing their credentials over to a site that has a warning on the landing page about how they can't prove they're not stealing your info is retarded.
It's fine ya big baby.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Bold Robot posted:

"i have no idea how it works out what info you're handing over but it's a bad idea"

- a retard

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
You see, i signed your post with "a retard" so it's like I'm calling you retarded. Felt like that had to be explained

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I assume hatched eggs are effected by your level right? So should I be saving these eggs until I'm higher than level 6?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

counterfeitsaint posted:

I assume hatched eggs are effected by your level right? So should I be saving these eggs until I'm higher than level 6?

They are, but it's by the level that you got the eggs at. So hatch them asap.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wanna say that the contents of the egg is calculated when you receive it from the pokestop, meaning if you picked it up at level 6 you might as well hatch it because if you wait it'll just be horribly under powered.

I have noticed that eggs consistently give pokemon that are in the upper 15% of their max CP, which is nice. I mean it's offset by most eggs still giving you trash like pidgey and weedles, but at least you'll never get underpowered trash from an egg, just trash.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Hatching eggs give good candy and exp anyway. My 10km eggs are popping out with 32 candies.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I've been focusing on eggs lately and have gotten like 40k dust in less than a day. Not that I'm ever gonna spend it anytime soon, but it's fun to watch the number keep shooting higher.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Bill Barber posted:

I've been focusing on eggs lately and have gotten like 40k dust in less than a day. Not that I'm ever gonna spend it anytime soon, but it's fun to watch the number keep shooting higher.

Eggs are where it's at. Good dust, good candies, fun pokes. Regretfully, I can only walk a couple miles a day due to a.) being a fat lazy gently caress, b.) I live in Arizona and it's loving brutal, and c.) my weekend plans for long early morning walks at the park rarely work out because my wife is a filthy cripple and an hour or so at the park she's all "eeeeehhhh i have a braaaainnnn diseeeeassseeeee it's why i was stupid enough to marrrryyyyyyy yooooouuuuu" so what I'm getting at here is that if you really wanna work those eggs, get divorced.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Give her 1 star and ask for a refund.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Bill Barber posted:

I wanna say that the contents of the egg is calculated when you receive it from the pokestop, meaning if you picked it up at level 6 you might as well hatch it because if you wait it'll just be horribly under powered.

I have noticed that eggs consistently give pokemon that are in the upper 15% of their max CP, which is nice. I mean it's offset by most eggs still giving you trash like pidgey and weedles, but at least you'll never get underpowered trash from an egg, just trash.

My 220cp Lapras would like a word with you.

93% IVs too :(

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

The warning is for PTC logins. So I could understand some hesitation if you use one of those. If you're using the Google login you're effectively saying you don't want to give Google your gmail credentials.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Gah the Reddit creeps are insufferable. They are giving 1 star reviews because they claim they want more communication. I say Niantic should reply with "Here is our communication: Pound sand you whiny man-babies."

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Everyone says they've hosed with the catch rates but I've literally caught the last dozen or so pokemon on the first throw with a regular rear end pokeball. It's fantastic.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So are lures based on what's in the area or are they random? I popped one and I got nothing but Rattata and Ekans. And one Paras that spawned, popped out of the first Pokeball in one shake, and ran. It was like a 5 second encounter from appearance to disappearance.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

b.) I live in Arizona and it's loving brutal

I feel you, fam.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/Siefe/status/759536072615493633

loving pidgeys

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

I love this broken game.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Your location is calculated more accurately with wi-fi on, so if your goal is to make the GPS spaz out for free egg hatching, turn it off.

Does my phone remember where it was plugged in? My gps spazzes out big time in my office, wandering a mile away or more. If I plug it in to the wall socket, it temporarily blinks back to my actual location, then blinks to where it thought it was right before plugging it in.

Doesn't do this when I plug into my work PC USB, even though that's always in the same location. Weird.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

incredible

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I've got enough Pidgeys in my inventory where I could probably do the entire song and every alternate version ever created.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Good thing they made that video before the patch, it's almost impossible to swipe between pokemon now

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'd eat a bag of caramelos Pidgey.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bill Barber posted:

I've got enough Pidgeys in my inventory where I could probably do the entire song and every alternate version ever created.

You should do it, but with The Terrible Secret of Space instead.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

post of the year

Where is that goddamn touchdown spike smiley when I need it?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

kuroiXiru posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be working, or I'm an idiot childbrain. Both are equally possible to my idiot childbrain.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

BrianBoitano posted:

Where is that goddamn touchdown spike smiley when I need it?
:thurman:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Broseph Brostar posted:

Good thing they made that video before the patch, it's almost impossible to swipe between pokemon now

Yeah no poo poo, it's a pain in the rear end to try to compare stuff now. You have to start at one edge of the screen and move all the way across to the other if you want it to swipe reliably.

nelson posted:

Gah the Reddit creeps are insufferable. They are giving 1 star reviews because they claim they want more communication. I say Niantic should reply with "Here is our communication: Pound sand you whiny man-babies."

I guess people are used to basic communication from devs in this day and age; it's really weird to see niantic take a step forward and two steps back every patch and not address it. It's actually kind of impressive seeing a company pissing away so much good will so fast

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Fix posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be working, or I'm an idiot childbrain. Both are equally possible to my idiot childbrain.
Click Login, it's open a dialogue asking if you wanna sign in via google or ptc. Click the sign in with Google button and it'll open a new window/tab for you to authorize Pokemon Go to use your Google account (if you're already logged in on Google with that browser) or it'll have you input your details on an official Google webpage. Once you authorize your account it'll give you a token for you to copy/paste back into the ORIGINAL page on pokeadvisor.com. It's kinda easy to miss.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Aren't pidgeys one of the best for getting xp from evolving with a lucky egg? I'm old and ignorant.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Snowy posted:

Aren't pidgeys one of the best for getting xp from evolving with a lucky egg? I'm old and ignorant.

Yeah, Pidgeys, Weedles, and Caterpie only take 12 candy to evolve so they're the best for getting xp. Just get a whole bunch of them, pop a lucky egg, and go to town.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Snowy posted:

Anything that costs 12 candies to evolve. Pidgeys just happen to be the most common of these.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I've hatched 3 eggs now that have given me Pokemon with exactly 93.3% IVs according to the advisor. That seems oddly specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

So I've hatched 3 eggs now that have given me Pokemon with exactly 93.3% IVs according to the advisor. That seems oddly specific.

each IV is on a scale of 0-15, there's three IV's so a total of 45 points to "get". If you had 42 of 45 total, you'd have 93.3%.

:ms:

• Locked thread