Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
That sounds like a PR and Customer Service nightmare (support costs, whatup) let alone the needless overhead of maintaining another environment. Terminating their OW sends the strongest message there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jastiger posted:

Guys i have kids.

I also play comp. She doesnt like the robot but loves the pink hair lady. My daughter owns and both she and i are better than you at Overwatch.

Re: cheaters, Blizzard should seriously set up a stealth sandbox mode for people busted. I get the argument that they own the servers, but there is no subscription fee or whatever, just the money up front. Since they DID purchase the software, allow for single play against bots or for private server play and none of it can touch b net servers. If they were mega awesome they would have bnet servers for cheaters only, but they don't know they are on a cheat server. Allow comp mode and the rank always goes way down on a loss, but inches up or not at all on a win until everyone is stable around like rank 10 or some poo poo. Cheaters would be so much more angry at playing and losing rank than by being banned outright. Then like a month later email them "thanks for playing on our Hell Servers, dont cheat!".

They keep the game, i get some laughs, and the cheaters are punished.

Or they could just ban cheaters like they've been doing and we can laugh at them anyway. Seriously, what's with all the "yeah they cheated but the PAID for the game" business, buying a thing doesn't entitle you to unlimited rights to do whatever you want without consequences and people who think that it does are insufferable. I hope Blizzard continues to regularly ban waves of cheaters who paid full retail price for a piece of software they know they'll get banned from using if they cheat ahead of time but choose to do so anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kai Tave posted:

Or they could just ban cheaters like they've been doing and we can laugh at them anyway. Seriously, what's with all the "yeah they cheated but the PAID for the game" business, buying a thing doesn't entitle you to unlimited rights to do whatever you want without consequences and people who think that it does are insufferable. I hope Blizzard continues to regularly ban waves of cheaters who paid full retail price for a piece of software they know they'll get banned from using if they cheat ahead of time but choose to do so anyway.

It's coming from people who remember the 90s, where most games of this kind shipped with the ability to run your own server and installed off a disk with a serial number. It literally wasn't possible for people to take the game away from you, and that's good for consumers.

Of course I'm not completely heartbroken about the prospect of cheater-free, standardized online instead of every server having 15 mods and a 40 person limit on maps designed for 6v6, so it's a bit of a wash in the end.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

Well, actually it kind of does for most products. Now I'm not saying they have a right to play after cheating and I"m all for the banning. I was more saying the rest to maximize MY enjoyment of their dick moves. But I think there can possibly be some gray area where you essentially charge someone for a product then intentionally disallow them use of it AT ALL. Kicking off the Bnet servers makes sense to me, but locking the entire software all together sounds a bit different. That is why I'd say allow it to be opened and played with maybe just bots and thats it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember the 90's and I'm happy with them banning cheaters and forcing them to buy the game again entirely if they want to play more

having something you paid for and allegedly own taken away from you is lame as gently caress but tbh you earn it if you cheat in a multiplayer only game

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I remember the 90's and I'm happy with them banning cheaters and forcing them to buy the game again entirely if they want to play more

having something you paid for and allegedly own taken away from you is lame as gently caress but tbh you earn it if you cheat in a multiplayer only game

Blizzard usually bans the machine, so they're welcome to keep giving Overwatch money and Blizzard will keep banning them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's coming from people who remember the 90s, where most games of this kind shipped with the ability to run your own server and installed off a disk with a serial number. It literally wasn't possible for people to take the game away from you, and that's good for consumers.

Of course I'm not completely heartbroken about the prospect of cheater-free, standardized online instead of every server having 15 mods and a 40 person limit on maps designed for 6v6, so it's a bit of a wash in the end.

I'm all for consumer protections but at the same time Blizzard isn't pulling a bait and switch with Overwatch, so if you (the general you) disagree with how they handle things like this from a consumer ethics standpoint the solution would be to not buy Overwatch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I'm all for consumer protections but at the same time Blizzard isn't pulling a bait and switch with Overwatch, so if you (the general you) disagree with how they handle things like this from a consumer ethics standpoint the solution would be to not buy Overwatch.

If I did this in TYOOL 2016 I'd have to give up multiplayer videogames as a hobby.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kai Tave posted:

Blizzard isn't pulling a bait and switch with Overwatch

In fact they warned people about this AHEAD OF TIME, and have warned people about this several times. The cheaters are fully aware of what they're getting into here

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
This isn't even the first wave of bans it's the second. You're a special kind of dumbass if you continue using cheats and are going to be upset when you get banned. That or you get off on the thrill.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

If they want to sell me the right to use their product on their servers at their discretion they are free to advertise as such. People pay money for another copy and they get banned strictly based off ip/hardware? That's bullshit. (assuming it's true)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lol at people having any sympathy at all for cheaters

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So what did you think you were buying, then? Other than an online multiplayer-only video game?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Blizzard's permabans are just like SA permabans. The retards who break the rules and keep reregistering can throw as much money as they want in the hole to reregister in a place where they're not welcome, but that doesn't mean that they're unbanned.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Duck and Cover posted:

If they want to sell me the right to use their product on their servers at their discretion they are free to advertise as such. People pay money for another copy and they get banned strictly based off ip/hardware? That's bullshit. (assuming it's true)

It's true and it's loving hilarious.

Away all Goats posted:

lol at people having any sympathy at all for cheaters

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

who gives a poo poo about these people

are you one of them?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Don't they explain in their terms of service that they're going to just ban you over and over if you cheat only once, anyways? I know people don't actually read the things before agreeing to it but the people who cheat still told Blizzard "Sure, you can keep taking my money and then kicking me out over and over!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

resistentialism posted:

So what did you think you were buying, then? Other than an online multiplayer-only video game?

Assuming this was directed at me, I knew exactly what I was buying. It's just that that's not really relevant to what I'm saying.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Is anyone having much better games now that this wave went out? Maybe it's just confirmation bias on my part; but I've been having much better games today.

quote:

Zero tolerance is the way to go. How is this bullshit? How is this even a discussion?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Duck and Cover posted:

It's not bullshit. They said they would do this. They didn't trick anyone or act like they weren't going to do this. They said they were going to do it, and they are doing it. The people paying for another copy of the game and getting instantly banned because they cheated in the first place should probably not have cheated in the first place!!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
cheaters gonna cheat and good on blizzard for sticking it to them

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Any word on when new skins/maps/modes will drop? After Season 1 ends maybe?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they said summer so it'd have to be soon

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
The thought of competitive mode makes me sad. I just want to play quick play. Are the rewards from doing at least the placement games even worth it, if I don't care about something besides a "yay you participated badge" that isn't neat looking.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

they said summer so it'd have to be soon

I'm hoping for seasonal "summer vacation" themed skins. I want my 76 wearing a Hawaian shirt and khaki shorts with his socks and sandals! Old-person wraparound sunglasses too!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

So I was doing the whole "Hey guys, I'm on your point! Neener neener! Come divert your efforts!" schtick, but even I could not have predicted which enemy player would be the one to come after me.

https://forge.gg/i/VmlkZW86ODUxNzE1

It's too bad her buddy showed up so soon after :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Canemacar posted:

I'm hoping for seasonal "summer vacation" themed skins. I want my 76 wearing a Hawaian shirt and khaki shorts with his socks and sandals! Old-person wraparound sunglasses too!

ok but instead of sunglasses, he keeps his mask and wears a sun visor over it

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Canemacar posted:

I want them to make it so that on the Christmas season, maps like Anubis illogically has snow all over them, all characters get a winter-based skin for that time only, and the announcer is literally Santa Claus.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

some tf2 style holiday themed stuff would be cool

like how tf2 does special map gimmicks during halloween/christmas, they could do special brawls that change up the maps over the holidays

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

All voice emotes for all characters charged to Happy Feast of Winterveil for a month

Also achievement unlocked

Jokes on you, roadhog's hook is so dodgy I don't need an aimbot

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Duck and Cover posted:

Nobody installed a cheat to play against bots, 100% of players installed with malicious intent towards other players. Paying money is irrelevant.

"But officer, I paid for this car, you have no power here."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wait so they're re-banning cheaters who buy new accounts? How do they do that? Is it by IP or MAC address or something?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Wait so they're re-banning cheaters who buy new accounts? How do they do that? Is it by IP or MAC address or something?

Hardware ID of cpu/hard drive/etc

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Hardware ID of cpu/hard drive/etc

Cool that sounds less spoofable

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
gently caress this game. gently caress sudden death.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Whoa there

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Cool that sounds less spoofable

It's actually spoofable just fine but cheaters are idiots.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chewbot posted:

Nobody installed a cheat to play against bots, 100% of players installed with malicious intent towards other players. Paying money is irrelevant.

"But officer, I paid for this car, you have no power here."

Well to continue your analogy, they can take your license so you can't drive legally on any roads, but you can absolutely drive your car on your property so long as it doesn't touch public roads. So, there is a bit more gray area than I think a lot of goons are giving credit for.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

What do you think of these? Fake or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Speaking of the second ban wave pleas enjoy this album

http://imgur.com/a/ZzSGi