Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeast posted:

If you're in a child-free home, I'd recommend crushed glass for snow. It's pretty amazing.

http://bloodofkittens.com/wargaminghub/2015/09/18/let-it-snow/

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=106

if you've got kids tearing around or just don't like the idea - Woodland Scenics: http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/SN140/page/1

But yeah, white static flock isn't great.

Thanks for the tip. Thankfully, Woodland Scenics have stores in Australia. I'll give them a squiz next time I'm in Penrith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GoodBee posted:

I used the snow static flock on some Malifaux stuff. I did the paint the area white, make a paste of snow static flock, PVA glue, water and a little white paint, spread it around and then sprinkle some more on top.

Here's a cute little Wendigo rockin' out on a snowy rock.

Yeah that's what I do for all my snow and I think it generally looks pretty good. It's Fyrbrand's old recipe and it owns.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

SRM posted:

Yeah that's what I do for all my snow and I think it generally looks pretty good. It's Fyrbrand's old recipe and it owns.

That's likely were I got it from. It seems to hold up well. I painted this guy probably in 2010. The Ice Gaimin and Ice Golems still look the same too. One day I'll finish my crew. I couldn't figure out how I wanted to paint Rasputina and then everyone quit playing Malifaux. :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Don't ever used crushed glass for gently caress sake. That is just absurdly dangerous advice.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I use a mixture of baking soda, snow flock, white paint, and still water gel.

If you're using baking soda you need to also use white paint and/or still water, because the baking soda will yellow with time and then your minis will look like someone has pissed all over their snow. Still water is really the secret to getting good snow, nothing gives it that deep powder damp look like still water as an underpinning. You can either mix it into your paste or you can put a layer down before applying your snow.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GoodBee posted:

That's likely were I got it from. It seems to hold up well. I painted this guy probably in 2010. The Ice Gaimin and Ice Golems still look the same too. One day I'll finish my crew. I couldn't figure out how I wanted to paint Rasputina and then everyone quit playing Malifaux. :(

Yeah, here's my take on it, but I don't mix white paint in with the flock/glue/water mixture:

You should finish your crew; even if your group's not playing Malifaux you could at least finish the unit to display or try to get new people to play by using two teams you own.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Still water is really the secret to getting good snow

I'm going to have to try this now that I have a huge bottle of Woodland Scenics Water Effects.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

SRM posted:

You should finish your crew; even if your group's not playing Malifaux you could at least finish the unit to display or try to get new people to play by using two teams you own.

I should. I've got a bunch of ice monsters and some Guild. My friend recently gave me a Perdita starter in exchange for some random pile of crap I was never going to paint.

I've been feeling the painting slump. It seems like I take forever to paint anything and I've got a huge amount of unpainted minis. All my painted stuff is foamed up and I don't have any fully painted lists to play with right now.

I've been thinking about pulling out all my painted stuff for photos so that way I can see that I've actually got a whole bunch of stuff painted. Maybe that will keep me motivated.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GoodBee posted:

I'm going to have to try this now that I have a huge bottle of Woodland Scenics Water Effects.

PVA glue works as well but I prefer the clearer finish you get from water effects.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Irate Tree posted:

Thanks for the tip. Thankfully, Woodland Scenics have stores in Australia. I'll give them a squiz next time I'm in Penrith.

Well, they're stocked in most major hobby stores in Melbourne, so I'm guessing you'd be ok.

http://www.thecombatcompany.com/categories/hobby/scenics/woodland-scenics.html

These guys are awesome, and based in Sydney, could get anything you want in case it's not in stock.

edit: Misread as 'hopefully' they have stores. Never mind!

Yeast fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 31, 2016

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, if you want to do ice instead of snow, I've been using this stuff for my Frostgrave models. It works pretty well.

Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint

It comes in different colors, but I've been using the Rock Candy as it dries clear.

It goes on as a pretty thick glue, then as it dries it cracks, giving the impression of ice. For the pieces sticking up out of the ground, I put a little of the crackle in some tin foil, let it set, then cracked it apart the next morning to have ice chunks sticking out.

The base I painted blue, then the crackle, then once it dries (about 24 hours) did a blue wash, followed by dry brushing white.

The only problem I've found with it is that you have to use a lipped base, because the material needs an enclosed space to set, then shrink in as it dries.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I painted a squid

NTRabbit posted:

:peanut: OATH COMPLETE :peanut:

Kraken!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted the new models from the Mk3 Skorne starter, and now have the new battlegroup for demo purposes.

My picture taking is getting worse over time. :smith:

Also that squid and the ice stuff look dope.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

NTRabbit posted:

I painted a squid

Where did you get the model?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

goodness posted:

Reaper Bones Kraken

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/kraken/latest/77291

$25 Yankeedollars, and it's pretty drat big

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goodness posted:

It's a Reaper Bones one.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm trying to decide if I want to something else on this base:

Here's the rest of the team so far:

This model is kind of busy and also looks like she's got wind blowing around her. I've thought about leaving it as is, or using just some water effects, maybe with a little bit of shrubbery, or going all out and making some stands of grasses look like they're blowing in the same direction as the rest of the wind on the model. I feel like the last option might look pretty cool but out of place with the rest of the team.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're good with water effects you can always make it look like the water is being swirled around her.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

If you're good with water effects you can always make it look like the water is being swirled around her.

I've never tried anything like that before. This was the first time I tried water effects. I could try it out on something else first.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

How would you do this? Let it dry for a few hours, then push it around with something into a new shape?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Time for some fire support!

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love how that gun-boat dread actually has a boat-like torso. It's amazing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Irate Tree posted:

I love how that gun-boat dread actually has a boat-like torso. It's amazing.

It's basically a speedboat where the only available speed is "murder"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Impaler posted:

How would you do this? Let it dry for a few hours, then push it around with something into a new shape?

Use the Vallejo gel water effects, not the liquid one, and spread it in the shape you want around something the right shape, ie I was able to find a test tube that more or less matched a 25mm round.

Shame the minis don't fit on the bases they're meant to be on, but you can see the general idea.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 2, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone know anything about this set or how it compare to the TC-910? https://www.amazon.com/Grex-GCK03-Airbrush-Tritium-TG3-Accessories/dp/B003VIVGWY

Someone at a local fb group is selling it unopened and I still haven't bought a compressor or general-use airbrush (like the badger patriot).

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
$250 over the cost of the airbrush itself for a tankless compressor sounds a little overcosted to me, but that might depend on how much better of a price your local guy is offering for.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Impaler posted:

Usually you use water effects gel, hot glue or clear acrylic caulk to lay down the ripples on the ground and then you apply the slow set water over the top of it. I mean since in this case its a swampy algae filled marsh you could make the circles by making little concentric berms that radiate out from her using the flock/dirt mixture and then do a bunch of still water coats over that. It depends how "deep" you want the ripples to look like they're going and how harsh you want the perceived force that's making them to seem.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That setup looks like a re-branded setup that now requires proprietary parts. Reminds me of the Lowes/Home Depot china brands. For $450 you can get a way better deal imo

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Putting together some Tyranids so I can play 40k, and I was thinking about painting their carapaces black with a kind of iridescent look similar to some beetles. Is there a technique to do this, and if so would it be practicable on an army's worth of 'Nids or would it make me want to die? Someone might have already mentioned this in the thread, I'm only partway through going through the backlog.

Ten Becquerels fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 3, 2016

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

You want interference acrylics. The golden fluid interference colors work. The effect is achievable and passable on miniatures, but the small scale isn't quite as nice as larger surfaces.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I've never heard of this stuff before but it sounds like good fun to try out, thanks. I think I'll order a couple of colours of it and fiddle around with it on some 'gaunts to see how it looks on the small models. I wonder if mixing a little bit of regular paint in corresponding colours or doing those colours as a base with a dark wash over top before adding the interference paint would work to make the idea more obvious. Even if it doesn't work too well on the little guys, it'll hopefully look cool on my monsters.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

It still looks cool on miniatures and much better in person than photographs. You really want to apply it over a very dark base. It is a little finnicky though and it'll take some trial and error to nail down exactly how thin you want it. It's really cool stuff though and it definitely conveys beetle shell, it's just not as dynamic on the small scale.

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

Ten Becquerels posted:

Putting together some Tyranids so I can play 40k, and I was thinking about painting their carapaces black with a kind of iridescent look similar to some beetles. Is there a technique to do this, and if so would it be practicable on an army's worth of 'Nids or would it make me want to die? Someone might have already mentioned this in the thread, I'm only partway through going through the backlog.

I've done this with some Hormagaunts that I started to paint.

The carapace is based black with Spaz Stix Color Changing Paint over that. The color changing doesn't photograph that well.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looks like a neat effect, this vid shows it off pretty well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FsxJwSDx4g

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

selnaric posted:

I've done this with some Hormagaunts that I started to paint.

The carapace is based black with Spaz Stix Color Changing Paint over that. The color changing doesn't photograph that well.

Do you have to spray this or can you brush it on?

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

They recommend spraying it on. I used an airbrush.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Quick question. For zenithal priming/highlighting after you fully prime in black do you use white paint or white primer for the rest of the process?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

selnaric posted:

I can confirm the fact that the effect doesn't photograph well. They look sort of cool here, but having seen these minis in person, they are rad as gently caress.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Sorry if this has been covered, this is a big thread to dig through.

My first minis I was spraying with Chaos Black, which I know is overpriced but it did seem to work really well. However now it's been hot/humid as gently caress so I stopped by the GW shop on my way home from work and got a pot of the Imperial Primer. It went on fine but I've noticed that it chips off so easily, I can even take it off with a fingernail. The Chaos Black spray on the other hand is on there solid and can't be removed in the same fashion. Is this expected behavior of a paint on vs spray on undercoat or did I gently caress something up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It might just be the model itself. Did you wash it in warm, soapy water first to remove any mold-release residue?