Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think Cassidy's joke in the diner scene about Big Lebowski and "What was the point?" was totally a meta commentary on how they ended this.

That said, no matter what they're saying I totally have that "they put too much effort into a couple characters to completely eliminate them." Maybe they're dead, but it's not like you can't hop a bus to hell in this universe. Eugene's dad, Odin and Emily in particular - not to mention how entertaining the character of Donny was - seem like they've been too setup to just be thrown completely out at this point.

Odin in particular - he was a devout servant of the "God of meat," so maybe his service will be rewarded. As for the rest, since the whole town turned from God and went ape-poo poo, it's almost certain they'd end up in hell (if the universe rules are that clear). Less writing them all off and more changing their location.

So that's my bet. Lots of characters that are dead still haven't been completely written out; weather they will be regulars or merely show up later, that I don't know. If Eugene's father's actions took him to hell, I could easily see that working out interestingly should Eugene find him.

ED: Also the intro has been showing the two mascots punching each other in the face since the start. Given their relationship, maybe that'll actually be part of their hell. It wouldn't shock me if they have at least a cameo down under one day.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Does the theory about the Angles go out the window now because only one came back from hell?

Remember when the rules of respawn are being described to Jesse, and the last answer comes a while later?

"We usually come back immediately or quickly, sometimes in the same place, sometimes somewhere at random--" "--and sometimes.." (if I remember the door knocked at this point)

Maybe when he got shot in the head he'll respawn in Alaska in three months for all I know. Either that or it'll confirm that theory and he'll actually respawn in Hell, because he was a Demon; just who knows where. It's possible he'll have to find his own way out.

None the less I utterly doubt he's gone.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Odin's 'meat daughter' was surprisingly sad. It was ridiculous and hilarious, too, but his origin story cast the whole thing as incredible mental illness, some kind of total break, so it was just incredibly sad, too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Accretionist posted:

Odin's 'meat daughter' was surprisingly sad. It was ridiculous and hilarious, too, but his origin story cast the whole thing as incredible mental illness, some kind of total break, so it was just incredibly sad, too.

Along with Arseface, I'm sure that's what Rogen and Goldberg were alluding to when they talked about some things in the comics "taking it a bit too far" and them mitigating it by adding a bit of heart and emotional resonance.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Accretionist posted:

The show humanized pretty much every character that comic did (or would have) just written off as a shallow caricature. Donny had a fantastic character arc from "small town villain" type to someone really quite relateable. Him sitting in bed reading Gorillas in the Mist was pretty great. In the comic he'd have been "no chin dude" basically.

Odin actually made sense as a character too, while in the comic he's just plain old boring comic book villain with admittedly a pretty insane hilarious final shot. All in all they stripped out a lot of things that made the comic dated and offensive (like all the treatment of Eugene) and I hope they keep it up, because as fun as the comic is, there's a lot of stuff that just and added nothing at the cost of being a better experience.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Data Graham posted:

Along with Arseface, I'm sure that's what Rogen and Goldberg were alluding to when they talked about some things in the comics "taking it a bit too far" and them mitigating it by adding a bit of heart and emotional resonance.

Yeah they specifically pointed that out on Talking Preacher saying they did that instead of having him gently caress a meat doll.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Data Graham posted:

And how he laughed like a bro at "Can I get my dick back on?"
And his exasperated look of "I...I, uh, would really like to have my dick back on..."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Zsinjeh posted:

And his exasperated look of "I...I, uh, would really like to have my dick back on..."

"Okay, but what's my motivation?"

'Well, you really want your dick back on."

"Good good, okay, good good."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kulkasha posted:

If he is absent and not ruling Heaven, he's not benevolent at all, which in practical terms means that God doesn't give a poo poo about his creation. For God to fit the criteria of being God, he has to be three things:
Omnipotent;
Omniscient;
and Benevolent,
otherwise he is not the God found in the Bible or preached about from the pulpit. The last point is essentially the Problem of Evil, which was stated in the very first question:
"Why would a Benevolent, Omnipotent, Omniscient God allow Evil to exist"
There's a lot of theological debate about this, obviously, but the show takes the reductionist approach and points out that at least one of those conditions is not being met. Since the townsfolk of Annville have no way of knowing or proving whether or not God is Omnipotent or Omniscient, they must question his Benevolence.
Is a God that does not hear your prayers Benevolent? No, he is negligent. The bedrock of your faith is knowing that God is up there and that he has a plan. What happens when you find out that that's not true? I doubt most of Annville has any philosophical or religious experience beyond what the Preacher says every Sunday. Where do you go when your faith is hollowed out? What's the point of being moral in a Godless world? What do you do when you have to look in the mirror without the consolation of faith?
Given time, the people of Annville might have found a replacement for their faith. Or maybe not. Most of Annville's population has been shown to be callous and sinful, relying on excuses to dodge their own hypocrisy and violence.

I think a key to understanding how completely hosed up Anneville and it's citizens are is to remember it's Ratwater 2.0. From that perspective, it's really not surprising at all that putting even the tiniest hole in their religious restraint would lead to the chaos that ensued.

Glad the pressure guy got to go out releasing his own pressure though.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The scene where comagirl's mom is smothering her with a pillow while her brother takes a selfie is maybe the darkest loving joke I've ever seen on TV, it was great.

Does anyone have a screencap?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Here you go.

Medullah posted:

It was a one shot, but the Enfants De Sang were in the main storyline. The one shot was flash back after.

If they're doing the Angelville story next year then they either have to work Cass into it or give him something else to do, in which case it could be a good time to do the one shot story then come back to the rear end in a top hat wannabes a series or two down the line, perhaps.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nobody uses ZTE phones. My immersion!

People in bumfuck Texas are probably the only users of ZTE phones.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Josh Lyman posted:

Nobody uses ZTE phones. My immersion!

People in bumfuck Texas are probably the only users of ZTE phones.

I use a ZTE, because I got it for $10 and it's worked fine for 2+ years now. :shrug:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You know, as much as people complained about this show not being faithful to the comic I thought it was incredibly faithful in that it highlights all the flaws and self-indulgence of '10s "peak TV" the way that the original comic does the 90s edgy comic book boom.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Someone mentioned Transmetropolitan earlier, the reason it hasn't aged well is that like Idiocracy it feels a little less like satire and a little more like a documentary with each passing year.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

shame on an IGA posted:

Someone mentioned Transmetropolitan earlier, the reason it hasn't aged well is that like Idiocracy it feels a little less like satire and a little more like a documentary with each passing year.

Huh, I think Transmetropolitan could be a great TV adaption because it hits closer to home every passing day. I'm intrigued at Y The Last Man but I can see them just making a Walking Dead clone of the sorts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unfortunately Patrick Stewart is getting too old to play Spider Jerusalem.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Huh, I think Transmetropolitan could be a great TV adaption because it hits closer to home every passing day. I'm intrigued at Y The Last Man but I can see them just making a Walking Dead clone of the sorts.

What worries me about Y: The Last Man is the high likelihood of them going "Chuck" with it. So I'd actually prefer a TWD clone of sorts.

"Let's make it a romcom series! All these women killing themselves and each other just won't play...and psychotic brainwashed lesbians only work if they're *hot*."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Mitt Romney was literally the smiler and that seriously freaked me out when I was rereading TransMet during the 2012 election

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

achillesforever6 posted:

Mitt Romney was literally the smiler and that seriously freaked me out when I was rereading TransMet during the 2012 election

While he never strangled a puppy for sympathy (that we know of) that creepy loving smile when he walked away from his press conference about Benghazi was one of the most disgusting things I'd ever seen.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Man I love this show but I hate all of you who have read the comics. It's bad enough I had to listen to all the Game of Thrones audiobooks to read the TV thread but nothing can compel me to endure at Steve Dillon's artwork.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If all of Cassidy's skin burned off and grew back, why did his tattoos come back too?

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

ruddiger posted:

If all of Cassidy's skin burned off and grew back, why did his tattoos come back too?

Because he's a vampire.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One think I didn't like so much: Tulip's miscarriage angle felt like a cheap way to create sympathy and drama. Can't a main character simply have the flaw of being vindictive? More to the point, the revelation felt like it was written to solve a great mystery, but the Carlos backstory was perfectly straightforward. I never wondered "god, why's Tulip so angry at this guy"; he hosed off with the cash and left them to face the cops, of course she's mad.

It does lend her continued insistence that Jesse join her in the revenge plan a bit more weight, I guess.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Holy poo poo Carlos was Edgar. I was squinting at him the whole time trying to make him be Adam Goldberg.

That was awesome. Feel like there was some awkward editing in the robbery sequence that could have been clearer though.

Loved how they went from Capital A Acting lost-my-baby scene to comic book violence Carlos-hobbling-away scene.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

achillesforever6 posted:

On reading it as it came out, he seemed like a dead ringer for Tony Blair. Every country and decade must have its own Smiler.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
This show ended up pretty drat good. I was annoyed with Tulip's uselessness most of the season, but the meeting with Carlos ended great.

Just realized Quincannon was Rorschach. :monocle:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pigdog posted:

Just realized Quincannon was Rorschach. :monocle:

Oh wow, yeah I knew he looked familiar but I never put my finger on it. Pretty different character so I guess that threw me off. Seems like a good actor!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jesus you guys. Jackie Earl Haley is specifically known for playing Rorshach and his casting was a big attraction for Preacher.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha I had no idea.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Jesus you guys. Jackie Earl Haley is specifically known for playing Rorshach and his casting was a big attraction for Preacher.

You've been here long enough to know goons dont get things. Any things. Ever

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've used "Howard Stark and Rorschach are in it" to try and convince people to watch it. :v:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I still think of him as the lovely Freddy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kulkasha posted:

If he is absent and not ruling Heaven, he's not benevolent at all, which in practical terms means that God doesn't give a poo poo about his creation. For God to fit the criteria of being God, he has to be three things:
Omnipotent;
Omniscient;
and Benevolent,
otherwise he is not the God found in the Bible or preached about from the pulpit. The last point is essentially the Problem of Evil, which was stated in the very first question:
"Why would a Benevolent, Omnipotent, Omniscient God allow Evil to exist"
There's a lot of theological debate about this, obviously, but the show takes the reductionist approach and points out that at least one of those conditions is not being met. Since the townsfolk of Annville have no way of knowing or proving whether or not God is Omnipotent or Omniscient, they must question his Benevolence.
Is a God that does not hear your prayers Benevolent? No, he is negligent. The bedrock of your faith is knowing that God is up there and that he has a plan. What happens when you find out that that's not true? I doubt most of Annville has any philosophical or religious experience beyond what the Preacher says every Sunday. Where do you go when your faith is hollowed out? What's the point of being moral in a Godless world? What do you do when you have to look in the mirror without the consolation of faith?
Given time, the people of Annville might have found a replacement for their faith. Or maybe not. Most of Annville's population has been shown to be callous and sinful, relying on excuses to dodge their own hypocrisy and violence.

There's also the option that the God is just a lying asshat with way more power than sense. He can know and do anything but can't figure it out in his head.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
He'll always be Guerrero, Moocher, and Kelly Leak to me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've used "Howard Stark and Rorschach are in it" to try and convince people to watch it. :v:

I would but then I realize I am the only person I know who has actually seen Watchmen.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I really enjoyed this season of television. Say what you will about the show, but there really isn't anything else quite like it out there. Season 2 is going to be really entertaining. I don't see how it could be anything but.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jerusalem posted:

While he never strangled a puppy for sympathy (that we know of) that creepy loving smile when he walked away from his press conference about Benghazi was one of the most disgusting things I'd ever seen.

I thought it was well known that the Smiler is a none too subtle reference to Tony Blair, and the Beast is Nixon

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
After the town exploded I kinda wanted them to go back to showing meat baby, this time all cooked, or perhaps still being grilled.

How come nobody ever asks Cassidy how he got that way? I'd be so curious. Maybe they can make a story arc about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Dunno if this matters to anyone, but I got this season off itunes and there are little behind-the-scenes vignettes that come with every episode. They confirmed after the episode where DeBlanc and Fiore went to hell in search of the SoK that DeBlanc is from heaven, and Fiore...is not. Poor guy.

• Locked thread