Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like if you're playing with a group like that you just reshuffle the room stack and keep going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

the rulebook states that you aren't playing to win

all you need to know about bathoth

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
emergency call for David Sirlin

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

all you need to know about bathoth

The rulebook doesn't state you play to win; the survival guide does. :smug:

This does sound like the best course of action though:

Elyv posted:

I feel like if you're playing with a group like that you just reshuffle the room stack and keep going

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Maha posted:

emergency call for David Sirlin Broken Loose

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Betrayal is f-f-f-f. Excuse me. Betrayal is f-ff-fuh-fuh. Betrayal is frrrun.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
My only issues with Betrayal is Crimson Jack, and the Treasure Hunt. Those were the only two games that ended after three hours of nothing happening. :suicide:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

My only issues with Betrayal is Crimson Jack, and the Treasure Hunt. Those were the only two games that ended after three hours of nothing happening. :suicide:

Two in how many?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Speaking of bad games does anyone have a link to that dude that showed up in the thread a few years back and accidentally mentioned that he'd discovered the broken strategy in A Few Acres of Snow on his first play?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Fat Samurai posted:

Two in how many?

Like maybe 10, 15 games? I've played it with a bunch of different groups, so I've kinda lost count. :shrug:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So I guess Asmodee buying Fantasy Flight is making a difference. A tacky star wars game and TWO tacky game of thrones games announced within days of one another.
It feels really sad and they definitely look rather bad.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So never having played Mansions of Madness v1 is it bad that I am kind of excited for the fully co-op, app driven, second version?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maha posted:

This came up during a Betrayal at House on the Hill session and got me wondering:
Say all players are playing strictly to win. It's pre-Haunt. One player has the Spirit Board and begins his turn, looks at the top room tile and decides not to move, because it's a prejudicial room (like say, the Crypt).
If no player can change floors or switch out the top room tile, then none of them have a reason to move, since they're not forced to and the first to do so becomes disadvantaged. Should they then agree to draw the game and start a new one?

I would not allow this. If this scenario happens the game becomes a Survivor style endurance challenge. You must continue playing forever or bite the bullet and take the disadvantage!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Oh my god this art is so bad

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Like maybe 10, 15 games? I've played it with a bunch of different groups, so I've kinda lost count. :shrug:

So, in your experience, 13% to 20% of the games are three hours long and nothing happens?

I'd suggest not playing it anymore.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Taear posted:

So I guess Asmodee buying Fantasy Flight is making a difference. A tacky star wars game and TWO tacky game of thrones games announced within days of one another.

Tekopo posted:

"Let's see who was under the mask of good new FFG" *takes off mask* "It was bad old FFG all along"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey guys, we are reaching 1000 pages again. Time for a new thread?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

COOL CORN posted:

The whole thing really makes me think of Munchkin.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Rutibex posted:

I would not allow this. If this scenario happens the game becomes a Survivor style endurance challenge. You must continue playing forever or bite the bullet and take the disadvantage!

Wait, what exactly would you disallow? I'm arguing that the Spirit Board is badly designed in the first place.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maha posted:

Wait, what exactly would you disallow? I'm arguing that the Spirit Board is badly designed in the first place.

You should not draw the game, no serious competitive Betrayal player would ever do that! :colbert:

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

abardam posted:

I played Vast: the crystal caverns (kickstarted as Trove) and I'd like to talk about it.

This game sounds so cool and has had me fascinated since the first time I heard about it. I haven't played it so this is just speculation based on first impressions I've read, but it sounds like it might be a big too complex for it's own good, and very difficult to teach.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Taear posted:

Don't forget the Hobbits-Race-to-Mount-Doom bullshit dice game they shoehorned an LOTR theme onto. I guess Asmodee really wanted to cash in on FFG's licensing agreements at Walmart.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

KingKapalone posted:

I'm surprised that Dead of Winter is still so high on BGG since it gets ripped on here. I thought the recency bias would have worn off by now if that was the case.

Trying to decide on a new game now and leaning towards Terra Mystica just because I feel like based on my smallish collection, I can't go wrong with the top games and I currently only have 2 of the top 10 on BGG. I'd like to get Pandemic Legacy but don't have a consistent group.

I think most people who vote for games don't later go back and re-rate them. I don't have any solid evidence for this, but it seems to make sense. Though people also like things that are bad because they had a good time with them once or whatever. There are plenty of not great games that are highly ranked for these reasons. As for what games you should get next, picking some top rated games can't be a bad choice, but if you know what you're looking for or what you've liked already it might help.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Observations from last night: Via Nebula is in fact good but more importantly I will never forgive myself for taking so long to pick up Hansa Teutonica.

COOL CORN posted:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Yes! Sentinels will no longer be the go to game whenever people talk about horrible art.

Can someone convince me not to get Mare Nostrum? Someone did a pretty compelling write up and the more I look into it, it looks like a fast, interactive miniature advanced civ.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Taear posted:

The whole thing really makes me think of Munchkin.

I mean it's nowhere near as bad as Munchkin or something like Sentinels. It is obviously highly stylized and cartoony, which is a super odd choice for the subject matter. Also the texture they are using for armor is nonsensical. It's not "bad" in the sense that actual bad game art is, more like it is lazily pandering to a certain demographic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean it's nowhere near as bad as Munchkin or something like Sentinels. It is obviously highly stylized and cartoony, which is a super odd choice for the subject matter. Also the texture they are using for armor is nonsensical. It's not "bad" in the sense that actual bad game art is, more like it is lazily pandering to a certain demographic.

It looks like penny arcade art but idk who thought penny arcade art belonged on game of thrones merchandise.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Fat Samurai posted:

So, in your experience, 13% to 20% of the games are three hours long and nothing happens?

I'd suggest not playing it anymore.

I haven't even gotten a chance to play it after the Treasure Hunt debacle. But I still want to play it again, I'll just check online for a list of haunts to avoid or something.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

I'll just check online for a list of haunts to avoid or something.

*posts entire list of haunts*

Beat you guys to it.

EDIT: Damnit, edit, not reply. :argh:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

EvilChameleon posted:

I think most people who vote for games don't later go back and re-rate them. I don't have any solid evidence for this, but it seems to make sense. Though people also like things that are bad because they had a good time with them once or whatever. There are plenty of not great games that are highly ranked for these reasons. As for what games you should get next, picking some top rated games can't be a bad choice, but if you know what you're looking for or what you've liked already it might help.

Here's my list http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/KingKapalone

I don't normally have a consistent group since I've moved a lot, but I'm back where I grew up for the summer with my old friends at the moment. When I'm home for holidays and stuff we play Eldritch Horror, Eclipse, and Kemet the most I'd say. I think Blood Rage would be the game for me, but it's way above MSRP right now. I played Dead of Winter once and enjoyed it. I thought Terra Mystica might be not get played enough if I get a new group to play with eventually that isn't already used to complex games.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

Observations from last night: Via Nebula is in fact good but more importantly I will never forgive myself for taking so long to pick up Hansa Teutonica.

"You know what Game of Thrones needs more of? Bad webcomic levels of cartoon art" - Asmodee looking at FFG licenses

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Can someone convince me not to get Mare Nostrum? Someone did a pretty compelling write up and the more I look into it, it looks like a fast, interactive miniature advanced civ.

I still don't have my copy. Yes, that is a reason to not buy it; Academy have seriously dropped the ball on the Kickstarter, it's been delayed going to Europe because they didn't make sure all the parts were there.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lump Shaker posted:

This game sounds so cool and has had me fascinated since the first time I heard about it. I haven't played it so this is just speculation based on first impressions I've read, but it sounds like it might be a big too complex for it's own good, and very difficult to teach.

It will be interesting to see how it does away from the designer, at any rate. It didn't seem very difficult to pick up when he taught it, nor were the individual roles all that complicated (actually less so last I heard), and the two playtest sessions I participated in averaged 2-3 games over a three hour-ish period. But we were only testing a couple of specific combinations of characters and last I heard he wanted to have variants for every possible combination of roles rather than specifically dictating which roles to use at which player count like was the case during our playtests. I don't have my final copy yet, though. The designer's a friend of a friend so I think I might be getting it hand-delivered by said mutual friend rather than mucking with shipping.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Chill la Chill posted:

It looks like penny arcade art but idk who thought penny arcade art belonged on game of thrones merchandise.

It looks like Penny Arcade from 4 years ago.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

You called? :v:

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Hey guys I need a board game recommendation. I've been browsing boardgamegeek trying to find something for the wife and I to play on our own that will also be good for group boardgames night without consuming a whole evening.

1) Plays in 60min or less
2) Is good with 2 players but will support more
3) Is relatively complex - on par with Agricola or even higher
4) Board game with fun bits and bobs, but not a minis game

Possibilities so far include Seasons, and Euphoria. Looking for other ideas to read up on.

Thanks!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Keyflower.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Stelas posted:

Keyflower.

This.

I'd also recommend looking into Istanbul. It's a lighter game than you may be looking for, but the timer is effectively set by other players, and the game has plenty of interaction.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Stelas posted:

Keyflower.

For gods sake this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Dungeon Petz