Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Closer to Heartwork. Surgical Steel was only pretty good on the whole, but the best tracks from it rank up there with their classics.

Cool. Heartwork was the first album I really liked of theirs. I just can't get into "real" grindcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Cool. Heartwork was the first album I really liked of theirs. I just can't get into "real" grindcore.

Their debut is their only real grind album anyway. Necroticism is the best Carcass record.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

prog metal is awesome but opeth isn't aside from the first 2 albums

then again, i mostly like prog metal for the ostentatious wank and keyboard abuse, and opeth don't have much of that... maybe people with different prog preferences would like em

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I only ever listened to Heartwork because I like it that much but I guess I'll check out other Carcass albums. Listening to Surgical Steel right now and I'm surprised that I'm liking it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

muike posted:

I only ever listened to Heartwork because I like it that much but I guess I'll check out other Carcass albums. Listening to Surgical Steel right now and I'm surprised that I'm liking it.
It was a pleasant surprise after how massively disappointing that At the Gates album was

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I had assumed there was no point in checking out an extreme metal recorded album 30 years after the band formed. I guess I was wrong.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

progressive metal would be interesting if it contained any progressive elements

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe try Sculptured's Embodiment. 12-tone serialism is pretty progressive for something invented in the '20s.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
That new Opeth track is...alright, I guess? The first minute I was almost laughing with how awful it was, but by the end I didn't hate it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

progressive metal would be interesting if it contained any progressive elements

If your criteria is that, for something to be "progressive", it has to be doing something that hasn't been done before... most of the classic 70s prog albums don't even apply. Or at least, bands like Yes and Gentle Giant stopped being "progressive" after 2 albums.

But there's 2 problems with that literal interpretation of the etymology, beyond the obvious ones. For one, people tend to mutually agree on borders of musical genres based on shared stylistic features. And almost everything called "progressive" (barring progressive trance/house etc. which has a different etymology) does share certain features, like extended instrumental sections, use of exotic time signatures/scales, and songwriting that's more narrative than most verse/chorus format stuff.

The second problem is that the etymology you're using, which takes "progressive" in the sense of pushing music as a whole forward, is false. The original prog bands didn't call themselves progressive because they thought they were doing something not done in music before - I'm pretty sure that, aside from egomaniacs like Emerson, they knew they were adding jazz and classical elements to rock - they called themselves "progressive" because their music progressed over the course of a song. Extended, linear songs weren't a thing in rock music at the time, and to distinguish these bands from pure pop and rock records, people in that scene often applied the "progressive" label.

Anyways, lots of early progressive metal was incredibly experimental for its time. Watchtower, Doom, Psychotic Waltz, Mind over Four, Confessor, Marge Litch, etc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone made 12-tone metal. Now that's what I call progressive.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

My favourite 'progressive metal' is Negative Plane and this Paul Chain song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeYscly4B_A

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

LordPants posted:

Lots of people. Ron from Watchtower does. Ehnahre and Jute Gyte too (well, JG and Voidcraeft both use 24-tet tuning and compose using 24-tone matrices).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LordPants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d7Q-q-riFA

That whole album is 12-tone, IIRC.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I wrote the main riff to this new Opeth song when I was 14 and discovered palm muting

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Hexenslaught demo sounds really good and old, like Necrovore, even though it just came out https://invictusproductions666.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I really think that if it didn't have the word: "Opeth" attached to it, absolutely nobody would give a poo poo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
White Wizzard have put up a Kickstarter to support their work on their upcoming album and stuff.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52946420/white-wizzard-new-album-fund

That video is... really quite something. :staredog:

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Carcass was fantastic live and played a solid mix from all their albums. They even made "Keep on Rotting" sound awesome live. They were energetic, had great stage banter, and played some of my favorite songs of Necroticism. Everyone played well, especially Night Demon who made me an instant fan with their performance. Crowbar sounded great too; they were so heavy/loud, I was convinced they knocked a filling loose. It's such a weird line up, but it works.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Carcass bores the gently caress out of me, especially live.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
FYI. East Coast/Canada tour. Blood Incantation's new album Starspawn loving rules, cant wait to see it live 8 days in a row.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Wyzt posted:

FYI. East Coast/Canada tour. Blood Incantation's new album Starspawn loving rules, cant wait to see it live 8 days in a row.

Badass. I'll try and make the philadelphia show. Your album's good, btw.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Jute Gyte's Bandcamp posted:

The pitch content that opens “Woodcutter” is a microtonal extension of the opening theme of Brahms' first piano quartet, though it's not easy (or necessary) to hear the source in the final arrangement. The guitars play transformations of this material created through standard serial operations and also by winding or spiraling through a complete or partial array as if it were a labyrinth, a technique of Ursula Mamlok's described in Straus's Twelve-Tone Music in America.

Powerful words for what sounds like the TFC Happy Birthday Song being played on a tape deck whose batteries are about to bite the dust

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Today at Wacken I saw that they realized the overlap between goonness and Metal.
You can now buy piss bottles so you don't have to leave the tent.
https://imgur.com/Br797uK

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells
No poop socks?

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

Today at Wacken I saw that they realized the overlap between goonness and Metal.
You can now buy piss bottles so you don't have to leave the tent.
https://imgur.com/Br797uK

You might think of these the moment you are in your tent in the middle of the night a mile away from a pissing spot while rain is pouring out of the sky like crazy while your tent is six feet deep in the mud and the path outside is completely transformed in a big pile of mud and piss in which you will be in to your knees in the next step you take towards a place where you actually can take a piss. While contemplating on this terrible endevour you realise the shoes, or if you were smart boots, are completely messed up covered in mud, cowshit and piss (yes, its not only piss what you are smelling but also cowshit) which will be hell to put on and off without messing up your tent.

I was there in 2012 and 2015, it was terrible. When the weather is good I really love this festival as it was awesome in 14 but I might never go anymore ever because when it rains (which happen more then not in these regions) it's awful. Also the line up is oftenly rather mediocre and at the same time you have to get tickets way before the line up is shaping up.

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 4, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's so many smaller European festivals with insane line ups that I don't know why you'd bother with Wacken.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

A human heart posted:

There's so many smaller European festivals with insane line ups that I don't know why you'd bother with Wacken.

Because he's the man and gets accredited for free, iirc.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Because he's the man and gets accredited for free, iirc.

Mostly because I stay with a very kind family that lives near the festival. I wouldn't camp at Wacken ever again, having experienced taking down my tent during a storm in 2011.

Being in the metal press is hardly a sign of being "the man". It's just an array of incompetent assholes who think the world cares about what they have to say. I'm one of them.

If anybody wants to hang out, hit me up.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 4, 2016

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
speaking of Wacken, there will be livestreams:

http://www1.wacken.com/en/news/news/news-detail/livestreams-by-arte-concert/

6 hour time difference from EST (I think)

Thursday
16h50-17h35 Henry Rollins
17h40-18h05 Hämatom
18h10-19h25 Saxon
19h30-20h30 Panzerballett
20h35-21h25 Phil Campbell’s All Starr Band
21h30-00h00 Iron Maiden
00h00-00h45 Therapy?
00h45-01h00 Born To Lose, Lived To Win: A Tribute To Lemmy Kilmister

Friday
16h20-17h20 Entombed A.D.
17h25-18h25 Axel Rudi Pell
18h30-19h45 Eluveitie
19h50-21h05 Bullet For My Valentine
21h10-22h25 Tarja
22h30-00h00 Blind Guardian
00h15-01h30 Ministry
01h45-03h00 Testament

Saturday
15h40-16h55 Borknagar
17h00-18h10 Metal Church
18h15-19h30 Therion
19h35-20h50 Steel Panther
20h55-22h10 Clutch
22h15-23h30 Triptykon
00h40-01h55 Parkway Drive
01h55-03h10 Arch Enemy

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I saw Thy Art Is Murder tonight, honestly I thought this kind of music was pretty dumb when I'd listened to it on my computer or wherever but god loving drat is the live experience something else. Why even bother making records, there's no way that sort of energy can be captured in an audio file.
I am so sore.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just realised, if I hadn't spent way too much money on booze and food for last weekend's BBQ with friends, I could've afforded to buy a one-day festival ticket to see Twisted Sister just a couple miles from my place tomorrow. I am terrible at life choices. :sigh:

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I know you nerds play video games. I just finished playing Abzu, and it was really good, but mostly what it did is get me in the mood to listen to Absu's Abzu. What a loving excellent album.

In case anyone forgot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmKsebV8bI

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

The latest Katatonia album felt more Opeth-like than Opeth has in the past decade to me.
I like how the vocals in Sorceress reminded me of Layne Stayley in a few parts, though. But then I remembered how boring the "Would" cover was.

Felt Katatonia has done well in transitioning from their past into their adult-lives music style. All I've felt from Opeth since Watershed was pretentiousness and 70s cosplay.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Dillinger Escape Plan have announced that they are stopping, after this album tour (which should last until sometime in the middle of next year). What a horrible time to be alive. Guess 20 years was a pretty good run.

They also released their new songs (officially, not radio rip).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p4tQUBtsBw

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 5, 2016

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Woodenlung posted:

Dillinger Escape Plan have announced that they are stopping, after this album tour (which should last until sometime in the middle of next year). What a horrible time to be alive. Guess 20 years was a pretty good run.

They also released their new songs (officially, not radio rip).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p4tQUBtsBw

Aw man, at least they had a good run. Hopefully these new tracks are good. Dillinger isn't metal in the purist sense of the word, but I still think they've still made some of the heaviest/aggressive music around.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Blind Guardian coming up in the Wacken live stream in about an hour and 20 minuts as of this post. Tarja Turunen is performing currently, so tune in if you want some comedy I guess.

http://stream.wacken.com/

EDIT: Oh my sweet loving jesus she is cringeworthy

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 5, 2016

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Nordick posted:

Blind Guardian coming up in the Wacken live stream in about an hour and 20 minuts as of this post. Tarja Turunen is performing currently, so tune in if you want some comedy I guess.

http://stream.wacken.com/

EDIT: Oh my sweet loving jesus she is cringeworthy

Watching this makes we wish Blind Guardian would just record all of their albums like they're doing it live instead of doing it in studio with 15,000 tracks.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah their orchestrations and poo poo have gotten out of hand on their newer albums. I wish they just went back to how NiME sounded, that album sounds epic enough.
That said, their live sound is loving great too and I will never ever, EVER get tired of their wailing guitar sound.

Fake edit: VALHALLA, DELIVERANCE! WHY'VE YOU EVER FORGOTTEN ME :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hansi looks great with the short hair and dropping a few pounds.