Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cheese posted:

Its called stumbling out into the street and waving my arms at yellow cars. Your assumption is that Uber makes it easier for people who are intoxicated to get safe transportation and I'm not sure that is a safe assumption.
Check your urban privilege. :thejoke: There are lots of bars in areas where you'd have to call a cab, just as you'd have to call Uber.

It is a matter of record, with actual studies, that putting suicide barriers on bridges reduces the overall suicide rate: make it harder to jump off a bridge, and a significant number of people don't commit suicide at all. The hope was that if you made it easier to call a cab, more drunks would do it. But, see Cheese's comment, it turns out that the reasons people drive drunk are a lot more complicated than "can't get an affordable cab". The most obvious issue is that you think you aren't all that drunk; another is that if you leave your car at the restaurant/bar, you're going to have to take a cab back the next morning to retrieve it, screwing up your commute/carpool/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Check your urban privilege. :thejoke: There are lots of bars in areas where you'd have to call a cab, just as you'd have to call Uber.
At which point they are both about equally easy to use.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is a matter of record, with actual studies, that putting suicide barriers on bridges reduces the overall suicide rate: make it harder to jump off a bridge, and a significant number of people don't commit suicide at all. The hope was that if you made it easier to call a cab, more drunks would do it. But, see Cheese's comment, it turns out that the reasons people drive drunk are a lot more complicated than "can't get an affordable cab". The most obvious issue is that you think you aren't all that drunk; another is that if you leave your car at the restaurant/bar, you're going to have to take a cab back the next morning to retrieve it, screwing up your commute/carpool/whatever.
Absolutely true. The people who know they are so drunk that they can't drive are the ones who are going to find some alternative way home, be it yellow cab, uber, tipsy taxi or a friend. People who think they can drive but are actually seriously impaired were never going to use an alternative source of transportation. Uber reducing drunk driving deaths doesn't make a lot of sense because it doesn't address the main reasons people drive drunk. "Well I was going to drive drunk because I couldn't easily get a cab but then I remembered I had Uber and that kept me from wrapping my car around a tree" is a pretty specific and low percentage scenario.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Elizabeth Holmes is presenting Theranos data at the AACC conference today. If she presents a pile of bullshit, it definitely won't fly in front a room full of scientists.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bubbacub posted:

Elizabeth Holmes is presenting Theranos data at the AACC conference today. If she presents a pile of bullshit, it definitely won't fly in front a room full of scientists.

Why even do this? She's largely dead in the water, and the scientific community has lambasted her already.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i've used uber to get home safely after a night of drinking and it is more convenient. largely because you get feedback as to when/where your vehicle will show up. i've sat at bars for an hour before getting drunker, after deciding to leave, because a traditional cab just might not ever show up

that being said though i live in an urban area with a lot of transportation options - i can even walk home from the bar i hang out at most frequently. i'd bet most americans live in places where the only choice is to drive or be driven, and in those places there probably isn't an uber always just around the corner

CommieGIR posted:

Why even do this? She's largely dead in the water, and the scientific community has lambasted her already.

it could be that she's not a scammer necessarily, she really believes in her company and product and she's just inept and desperate

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 1, 2016

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

The AACC is already hedging its bets and saying how she isn't aligned or affiliated with them and is just a speaking at a conference. Most likely she is a true believer in her original concept and no one has ever told her it fundamentally won't work no matter how much money you throw at it.

Generally "ground breaking" technology isn't something you bother to keep secret once you have a patent on it unless it's military tech. The whole point in getting people to wholly accept a new paradigm is releasing all the technical data and letting the critics work themselves into furor trying to pick it apart.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pentyne posted:

The AACC is already hedging its bets and saying how she isn't aligned or affiliated with them and is just a speaking at a conference. Most likely she is a true believer in her original concept and no one has ever told her it fundamentally won't work no matter how much money you throw at it.
Oh, they may well have told her and she didn't/wouldn't/couldn't listen. "They told Einstein he was wrong, too! Nyahahahhaha!"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, they may well have told her and she didn't/wouldn't/couldn't listen. "They told Einstein he was wrong, too! Nyahahahhaha!"

I love when people always try the "well science was wrong about this in the past" and I explain to them that every current scientific "fact" was at some point a radical new theory that huge swaths of the scientific community doubted and challenged, but after decades of testing and scrutiny even the hardest deniers had to accept it as valid. The concept of aether and phlogiston was codified scientific fact for decades if not centuries before new discoveries and theories arose that challenged the weakness of said facts and proved to be superior science.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I mean, research and testing has shown that the human mind has possess an incredible ability to shield itself from information that would harm it. It is entirely possible she cannot accept that all of her work and everything she has done for the past however many years has been a total waste of time, a worldwide farce in which she is the butt of the joke, and that she will never change the world.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I miss fuckedcompany.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The most obvious issue is that you think you aren't all that drunk; another is that if you leave your car at the restaurant/bar, you're going to have to take a cab back the next morning to retrieve it, screwing up your commute/carpool/whatever.

I don't think the suicide analogy really works anyway. Suicide is an impulsive decision and prevention methods like suicide barriers work by making it harder to commit suicide. Uber doesn't actually make it any harder to just get in your car and drive home, and doing that is still cheaper and more convenient than hailing a cab or using Uber.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

lol

quote:

"We don't accept old cars, they have to be relatively new. They come with a three-month, 3,000 mile warranty and a 10-day money-back guarantee, so it's effectively like a 10-day test drive—no questions asked, if it's not the car you thought it was, we'll pick it up and take it back. And because we have no brick and mortar overheads like a dealership, the prices are considerably better," Lloyd said.

Beepi sources its cars from private sellers. Once the car passes the company's inspection, it agrees on a sale price along with a promise to buy the car for that amount should it not sell on the site within 30 days.

[...]

"We don't really maintain any inventory," Lloyd explained.
Godspeed, noble disrupter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I actually bought a car from them after being 150% skeeved out by IRL car salesmen and it went fine.

edit: They did recently got in touch with me (~1 year after) wanting to sell me an extended warranty so maybe their business model isn't as lucrative as they planned.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 1, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i just let the free car shopper service at my credit union handle it for me and he got me under invoice

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Had to listen to a presentation today at work by one of those X groups that provides cash to push the boundaries of technology.

Blockchain is revolutionary. Don't teach kids to code, AI will do that. Tech is exponential on and on and on. Disrupt the classroom. Free global supercomputer WiFi Avenger JARVIS Kurtzweil singularity.

Hooray for the future of rich white guy tech.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

Had to listen to a presentation today at work by one of those X groups that provides cash to push the boundaries of technology.

Blockchain is revolutionary. Don't teach kids to code, AI will do that. Tech is exponential on and on and on. Disrupt the classroom. Free global supercomputer WiFi Avenger JARVIS Kurtzweil singularity.

Hooray for the future of rich white guy tech.

Honestly, is there anything (other than maybe "The Singularity") better designed to appeal to tech nerds' fetishes and prejudices that blockchain tech? Cryptography! Decentralization! Massive favoritism for being an early adopter!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

e_angst posted:

Honestly, is there anything (other than maybe "The Singularity") better designed to appeal to tech nerds' fetishes and prejudices that blockchain tech? Cryptography! Decentralization! Massive favoritism for being an early adopter!

Roko's Basilisk That-Which-Must-Not-Be-Mentioned.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dude's pretty much a highly placed executive in the org, so I did all I could not to laugh when he said Blockchain.

Yeah man, the wave of the cryptosecure future is tiny furnace computers slaving away on increasingly complex nonsense. (Also, way to prop up the preferred currency of Darknet pedophiles).

OH BUT WAIT QUANTUM COMPUTING!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I've read up on this blockchain poo poo and I'm still not sure I fully understand it. Its like self contained computers with blocks of data that link together? What is the supposed advantage of that?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
lol the much hyped Theranos presentation was literally a new product pitch with nothing that was certified or approved by regulators. It was literally a smokescreen to try to make people forget about the disaster.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes-introduces-new-blood-testing-device-1470089582

quote:

PHILADELPHIA—Theranos Inc. founder Elizabeth Holmes announced a new blood-testing device that she said would be capable of performing more tests than the company’s Edison machines.

Speaking before an audience of laboratory scientists at the annual meeting of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, Ms. Holmes described a device called “miniLab,” resembling a computer printer she said could run tests accurately on small sample volumes.

“We’re pleased to share our technologies with the entire laboratory industry. It’s the beginning of the next phase of the company, as we introduce our technologies to the world,” Ms. Holmes said in a news release issued during her remarks. “We also will be working with academic institutions and other independent parties to validate and publish our results.”

The Palo Alto, Calif., company said its miniLab hasn’t been approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

pentyne posted:

resembling a computer printer

So it was just a printer.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

cheese posted:

I've read up on this blockchain poo poo and I'm still not sure I fully understand it. Its like self contained computers with blocks of data that link together? What is the supposed advantage of that?

It is not that at all. It is a shared flat file anyone can write to, sequentially so as to not overwrite anything anyone else has written to it.
If you're wondering how it's useful, congrats, it's not.
People who know enough computers to think they're smart think the clever thing about is that what you write to it is digitally signed so it can't be forged. But that's trivial to do and certainly not anything innovative.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Schubalts posted:

So it was just a printer.

You put in the samples and it prints out SHE LIES.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

lol
Godspeed, noble disrupter.
Beepi actually really are pretty strict. I had a roommate move across the country and try to get rid of his car. The car was about 2 years old and not too driven. Beepi was his first choice since they come onsight and guarantee you a good price because of the rigor of the inspection. The inspection was quite through -- I think about an hour and a half.

It failed the Beepi inspection because rodents had chewed the foam underneath the engine block. So he took it to the dealership, who had a car salesman look at it for maybe 2 minutes and then start doing standard carsalesman bullshit on price. He took the deal, but definitely felt like he got screwed in the process (as anyone who interacts with car salesmen does).

Beepi has real opportunities here.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I don't understand how Beepi is legal. I almost bought a car from the, until I realized that it was Sunday, and it's against the law to sell cars as a dealership on Sunday* in Texas. Why should I buy a car from a company that flaunts the law and accepts bitcoins.

*(can't be open both weekend days basically)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

blugu64 posted:

I don't understand how Beepi is legal. I almost bought a car from the, until I realized that it was Sunday, and it's against the law to sell cars as a dealership on Sunday* in Texas. Why should I buy a car from a company that flaunts the law and accepts bitcoins.

Probably because that's a weird and loving stupid law

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Lady Naga posted:

Then change the law, what other laws do you think are weird and stupid and thus think you don't have to follow?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

sarehu posted:

You put in the samples and it prints out SHE LIES.

Now I'm just imagining she had the whole thing preloaded with answers like The Wire...

https://youtu.be/1KOXj97cfXM

Edit:

blugu64 posted:

They might be operating Sunday and not Saturday. There are a few dealerships that choose that because they get more business on Sunday.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

blugu64 posted:

Then change the law, what other laws do you think are weird and stupid and thus think you don't have to follow?

Most.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

e_angst posted:

Now I'm just imagining she had the whole thing preloaded with answers like The Wire...

https://youtu.be/1KOXj97cfXM

How is she still CEO? Is anyone still giving her money? They must be burning through their cash reserves like crazy.
http://fortune.com/2016/08/01/theranos-presentation-panned/

quote:

Following Holmes’ presentation, several physicians and scientists in the crowd asked her tough questions about the company’s technology, leading some attendees to applaud. Holmes responded that she realized that there were “many questions” about the Edison devices, but that those would be addressed at an “appropriate forum” at a later time.

Fortune contacted Theranos about the company’s plans for Edison and whether more information would be made public.

“Edison is the name of the early testing system,” the company replied in a statement while adding that it would continue to invest in and promote that technology. “As Elizabeth said on stage, there will be an appropriate time and place to talk about the past. Today’s presentation was about Theranos’ present, and about its future.”

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lady Naga posted:

Used car dealership that is quick to disregard laws they think are silly.

Nope, nothing bad could come from that.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I don't really give a poo poo about the dealership I'm just saying that law is incredibly senseless and I come from a city that didn't allow Sunday shopping until like 2005.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I was researching Beepi the only negative reviews that I found were from people who were pissed their car was turned down, and other used car dealers who were pissed that they didn't have some mandatory signs posted at their location (they don't have a location that customers ever see).

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ocrumsprug posted:

Used car dealership that is quick to disregard laws they think are silly.

Nope, nothing bad could come from that.

Lol, I made a prediction earlier in this thread and at the time I thought it was a little hyperbolic, but it looks like it actually came true:

silence_kit posted:

I sincerely believe that some posters in this thread would defend to the death even the most stupid, pointless, and wasteful government regulation if it gave them an opportunity to rag on a startup company.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

blugu64 posted:

Any law that says you can't sell alcohol, because it's the wrong time or day.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

pentyne posted:

lol the much hyped Theranos presentation was literally a new product pitch with nothing that was certified or approved by regulators. It was literally a smokescreen to try to make people forget about the disaster.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes-introduces-new-blood-testing-device-1470089582
Yeah, smokescreen. Here's a writeup with a few more specifics but: nothing even semi-specific about new technology, seems to be established stuff in a box, a few presumably-cherry-picked slides (many with venous blood), and the always heartening "not the forum to talk about the past" posture.
http://www.businessinsider.com/theranos-scientific-presentation-aacc-conference-2016-8

I'm kind of irritated she didn't get dunked on in a real soundbite-y way (avoiding that was probably Holmes's #1 goal) but whatever, when they run out of money they're probably done for either way.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Lol, I made a prediction earlier in this thread and at the time I thought it was a little hyperbolic, but it looks like it actually came true:

Look I don't agree with the law, makes buying a car a hassle. What I'm saying is you don't get to pick and choose what laws you have to obey, and when you're blatantly flaunting one law....what else are you doing behind the scenes that I don't know about?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When the Beepi guy came to buy my ex-wife's car, he parked his truck slightly into the red zone. That should have been my sign that something was up.

Did you ask Beepi how they were operating on Sunday? The law is likely old and crusty, and may have it linked to physical location or similar.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

Look I don't agree with the law, makes buying a car a hassle. What I'm saying is you don't get to pick and choose what laws you have to obey, and when you're blatantly flaunting one law....what else are you doing behind the scenes that I don't know about?

Are you seriously defending something stupid purely because it's a law? What's your opinion of North Carolina's bathroom law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
For real. There are laws that make absolutely no sense and should not exist, and laws about what day of the week a store can operate on fall under that.