Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Trabisnikof posted:

Ok if you're being honest, who was the "religious wackjob" on the last night?

And I'm also curious how that person more of a "religious wackjob" than the other religious speakers on the other nights?

They were sandwiched between hardcore conservatives?

Liberation theology Jesus is good. I married a god fearing woman despite my atheism because her Jesus is a man with bandoliers for a shirt and an AK in the hand.

Context neutral, I'm all about it.

Context sensitive, supply side Jesus in black face is deeply offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Why would you give a poo poo about how the DNC whored themselves out. It has no bearing on how Hillary governs once she's elected. She's not all of a sudden beholden to Republicans now that one spoke at the convention.

When people start clutching their pearls about the political process, I just assume they're either super naive or it's their first election.

Yeah, "Token Republican" is pretty normal at Dem Conventions (and I remember a few "Token Democrat" speeches at GOP Conventions). After all, like 5% of each party votes for the other party's Presidential candidate.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm honestly shocked that this photo isn't an attempt at trying to be nice to African Americans.

it took me years to figure out that fried chicken and watermelon were used as dog whistles, and i still dont fukken get it. who the hell *doesnt* love fried chicken and watermelon, no matter the color of their skin?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's surreal how bad Trump is at this. All those predictions of a pivot, of him pulling it together, of him being a master manipulator are just falling apart in the face of the fact that Trump is a mentally unstable nightmare-man. He literally asked Kasich to be his shadow president. He is still embroiled in this ridiculous fight with Khan. He's learned nothing from his fight with the judge, and is repeating every single mistake, only he's doing an even worse job of it. The RNC was as ridiculous as everyone expected it to be.

Who could even have predicted this Russian hacking debacle? Like, sure the e-mails might hurt Hillary more overall, but who could have predicted that the idea of Vladimir Putin conspiring to have Trump elected would be a thing. Or that, instead of handling it in a sane, dismissive way, he'd just make things worse and give the news media a cycle of lurid speculation over fantasies of a Trumpchurian Candidate?

Can you even imagine the debates? Not even the debates themselves, but what happens after the debates? When Trump, filled with indignation, lets loose how he really thinks at some campaign rally, or in some late night tweet?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Shbobdb posted:

are you seriously calling one of the biggest thorns in mayor mccheeses side who was one of the moral mondays leaders a 'supply side jesus' freak?

man, this election cycle is really weakening your troll game

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bip Roberts posted:

How long until he posts:

For the love of god tweet that at him and hope he retweets it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

NippleFloss posted:

They've all stuck. There is a reason his ceiling has been 44% for basically the whole cycle, and that's because he keeps making it impossible for anyone but his die hard supporters to vote for him. The only time things were close it was because Hillary's numbers tanked. He's not going to win the election with 44% of the vote and he can't get more because he's constantly bogged down in gaffes and scandals.

It's really weird to say "the guy who has been constantly alienating people and coincidentally is also losing in nearly every poll for the entire cycle, and has the lowest favorability rating for a candidate ever, isn't actually hurt by anything!"

Bill Clinton won with 43% of the vote. Trump may have hit a ceiling in the low 40s, but he has held onto that no matter what he said or did. Trump has been within the margin of error in battleground states in almost every poll other than the CBS PA poll today.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Federal judge today blocked North Dakota from tightening voter ID laws after American Indians accused it of disenfranchising them.

drat. It's just like hit after hi against disenfranchisement; could these small wins mean big swing states like FL are also liable to get smacked?

I really hope that when we have 9 justices again one of these gets appealed to the SCOTUS and a liberal majority strikes it down with a statement of "the last time we heard about this the majority said racism was over. Well we can see now that isn't the case as per [massive list of all the horrible poo poo the right wing has enacted in the last few years]."

Sadly, this might never happen, because ALEC and every other right wing group knows what'll happen if a liberal majority SCOTUS gets to hear any sort of case on voter suppression.

TyrantWD posted:

but if the election were held last week we would have President Trump.

No we wouldn't. I don't think you understand how elections work in the US. Last week Trump was still behind in PA, VA, iffy in Florida, and maybe winning Ohio and NC. That's not good enough for him to hit 270. He's still struggling to hit a high point that isn't on par with Hilary's low point.

That Trump hosed up so badly the DNC was able to go big-as-hell tent with the DNC was just the primer for Khan hitting him with a Chaos Dunk.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Wouldn't it be more traditional to do your photo op with food from some local favorite place to show you're down with the local scene?

Or is this an "omg a billionaire eats KFC, Just Like Us!"

Love to trash Trump, but is it too much to believe that now and then, Donald Trump just likes to have some KFC, and he just posts a picture of him doing it because he posts pictures of himself doing everything?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

OctaMurk posted:

Love to trash Trump, but is it too much to believe that now and then, Donald Trump just likes to have some KFC, and he just posts a picture of him doing it because he posts pictures of himself doing everything?

it is during a presidential campaign, yes

also lmao if that does not look staged to you

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TyrantWD posted:

Bill Clinton won with 43% of the vote. Trump may have hit a ceiling in the low 40s, but he has held onto that no matter what he said or did. Trump has been within the margin of error in battleground states in almost every poll other than the CBS PA poll today.

You should probably look in to how that was possible and why that isn't going to happen this year.

Every third party combined rarely gets even a fraction of Perot's 1992 numbers. Gary Johnson got less than 1% in 2012.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I can't begin to understand how anyone even mildly left wing looks at Trump vs Hillary and goes all South Park about how all politicians are bad.

I can understand that in some elections especially 92-2000. Gore/Lieberman was a particular poo poo show. Trump is something different. Conservatives, blue dogs, neo-cons, libertarians, etc those are all something. Trump is Nothing.

TyrantWD posted:

No third party this time even slightly compares to the popularity of Perot. Perot had a chance of actually winning the general if he hadn't gone so erratic.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What kind of sick gently caress eats KFC on an airplane with a fork and knife?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Wouldn't it be more traditional to do your photo op with food from some local favorite place to show you're down with the local scene?

Or is this an "omg a billionaire eats KFC, Just Like Us!"

Honestly Trump is many things but I don't believe that he's this brand of inauthentic.

The Shortest Path posted:

To be fair if your on the campaign trail you never eat anything with your hands. It's only lose-lose.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

The fact that he had a fork and knife is what made me think that's he's just eating KFC and it's not staged. Because if it were staged he'd be eating it with his hands like normal people.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

OctaMurk posted:

I just assumed at this phase every public meal would be "dropped by McGarnigles off of Highway 6. This cheesesteak is the best in America, great work Sarah, best waitress in PA!"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

Perot had a chance of actually winning the general if he hadn't gone so erratic.

He might've eaten in to Bush's numbers more but Bill Clinton was not going to lose to Perot unless Bush dropped out and endorsed Perot. Maybe.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Related: The most recent On The Media podcast is all about why there is no good way to eat anything on the campaign trail.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/sporkful-campaign-edition

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
On the other hand, in a new CNN poll, both Johnson and Stein are leading Trump among nonwhite voters :v:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/images/08/01/2016.post-dem.convention.pdf

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, I'm more insulted that Donald Trump doesn't even have good taste in lovely chicken places. I loooove lovely fast food chicken, but even for me KFC is garbage. Don't know why he didn't go for the easy "Mah Values! :qq:" pick and get Chik-fil-a.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Dexo posted:

For the love of god tweet that at him and hope he retweets it.

Oh gods please goons who tweet, please do this.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Spiritus Nox posted:

Honestly, I'm more insulted that Donald Trump doesn't even have good taste in lovely chicken places. I loooove lovely fast food chicken, but even for me KFC is garbage. Don't know why he didn't go for the easy "Mah Values! :qq:" pick and get Chik-fil-a.

Lee's. $4 for 1000 calories of chicken and mashed potatoes, its unbeatable.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Evil Fluffy posted:

You should probably look in to how that was possible and why that isn't going to happen this year.

Every third party combined rarely gets even a fraction of Perot's 1992 numbers. Gary Johnson got less than 1% in 2012.

In the Midwest Gary Johnson is polling at 15%, and Trump has been within the margin of error in those states even before the convention. I don't think we can declare Trump suffering from his latest controversy until we see a genuine sustained movement against him in the polls in those states.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Oh gods please goons who tweet, please do this.

Done

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Shbobdb posted:

I'm in a bad position. I get called a shitposter when I'm being honest and reasonable when I'm being hyperbolic.

I stopped watching the convention after the "I'm a Republican for Hillary" and the "Blut und Boden" speeches. Khan's speech in between notwithstanding the point had been made.

Yes, definitely. The ethno-nationalist candidate in this election is Hillary. :thumbsup:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

They were sandwiched between hardcore conservatives?

Liberation theology Jesus is good. I married a god fearing woman despite my atheism because her Jesus is a man with bandoliers for a shirt and an AK in the hand.

Context neutral, I'm all about it.

I know all the words you are saying, yet nothing makes sense.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

it is during a presidential campaign, yes

also lmao if that does not look staged to you

It's an attempt to get ahead of the Khan gaffe.
"Enjoying dinner with my favorite Colonel: Colonel Sanders. I love the Army!"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/760255085561597952

who on earth is this

oh lol

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Yeah he's poking at Ryan for not answering his call for help. This is some straight up soap opera poo poo.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I dunno why Trump doesn't just have someone special deliver him some Prince's hot chicken so he doesn't have to eat that KFC garbage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TyrantWD posted:

Bill Clinton won with 43% of the vote.

Should've said Nixon, although Trump would be the George Wallace figure in that analogy.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

:vince:

I know there's no possible way, but I really hope Ryan rises to this.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

He might've eaten in to Bush's numbers more but Bill Clinton was not going to lose to Perot unless Bush dropped out and endorsed Perot. Maybe.

Pre-convention some polls had Perot ahead of both of them. It was likely his support was going to decline either way and he didn't have a great shot at the general but he would have probably put up a respectable showing if he hadn't gone crazy and dropped out and then hopped back in the race.

I suppose Perot and McCain's shenanigans are a reminder that being on the campaign trail is absurdly stressful on the candidate as it is. Even if Trump wasn't Trump he'd be enduring something far harder than probably anything he has ever done. Cracking under that pressure isn't surprising and it only gets worse for him from here.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want to believe this will continue. I don't have that kind of faith in America though. It's going to be a close election because we're all idiots and millions of people will forget this if Trump ever stops talking about the Khans for a few minutes.

That said, if Trump craters I hope to God that Hilary has the entire Khan (extended) family as guests of honor at her swearing in ceremony and her first SOTU address.

From the article.

". The recent Khizr Khan fiasco -- a trap laid by the Democrats with the relative sophistication of a Wile E. Coyote orange crate on a stick -- should convince all but the truly delusional that if the Trump train hasn't already derailed, it's careening back and forth on tracks the Dems are pulling up unopposed."

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pastrymancy posted:

So what's up with this Zika funding bill? Did Congress tie something incredibly stupid to it again before breaking for Recess?

Republicans put a bunch of poison pills in it last time around so they could pretend Democrats are the bad guys for refusing to vote for a Zika bill that would have gotten its funding from cutting the budget elsewhere and Obamacare cuts.

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Yeah he's poking at Ryan for not answering his call for help. This is some straight up soap opera poo poo.

Who the gently caress would want to primary the loving speaker?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

Who the gently caress would want to primary the loving speaker?

The people the idiots in the GOP let take over their party because a black guy is president.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Worked on Cantor lol

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

This story isn't particularly insightful, but looking at the picture I have to agree that his hands do look a little small:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/donald-trump-khan-veterans-limits-226529

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

the same type of person who does an ad for pizza hut? this isn't his first fast food gig, bub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/760291156336926720/

the wind kills all your birds

• Locked thread