Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FMguru posted:

Slamming your nuts in a kitchen drawer over and over until they become so swollen and purple that you pass out from the pain > Everybody Loves Raymond

All I know about King of Queens is that Patton Oswald decided to stay perfectly still for like 3 minutes in the shot and it made it into the final ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

BiggerBoat posted:

I caught a few minutes of Herman Cain this morning and I guess the new strategy regarding the Muslim American soldier who spoke at the DNC is "why can't he just be an 'American Solider'? Democrats are the one labeling people" combined with "What about Fort Hood and all these other soldiers who died?"

But I think my favorite thing he tried was "Hillary voted for the Iraq war while Trump would not have", which is so stupid I'm not even sure where to start with it.

Trump didn't have a vote first of all. Republicans were super gung ho for that war and Democrats stupidly caved and allowed it. To this day, conservative pundits blame the democrats pulling out prematurely for Iraq falling into chaos and still steadfastly defend the decision to oust Hussein, some insisting that WMD's WERE actually found.

This is the first time I've heard a conservative talk show host come at this thing from the angle that voting for the 2002 Iraq war might have been a stupid idea though.

The rebuttal for this is simple: In 2002, Howard Stern asked Trump if he thought we should invade Iraq and Trump said "yeah, I guess so." You can google this. There's no statement from Trump opposing the war before it happened. Contrast that with Barack Obama- he didn't have a vote on the war either, but he openly and publicly opposed it before it started. Saying "what would he have done?" isn't a bad question, but the answer can't be made up after the fact when contemporary evidence says the opposite.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

All I know about King of Queens is that Patton Oswald decided to stay perfectly still for like 3 minutes in the shot and it made it into the final ep.

As someone from New York, King of Queens is loving art.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jurgan posted:

The rebuttal for this is simple: In 2002, Howard Stern asked Trump if he thought we should invade Iraq and Trump said "yeah, I guess so." You can google this. There's no statement from Trump opposing the war before it happened. Contrast that with Barack Obama- he didn't have a vote on the war either, but he openly and publicly opposed it before it started. Saying "what would he have done?" isn't a bad question, but the answer can't be made up after the fact when contemporary evidence says the opposite.

Post facts/the truth is in the middle world yo.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Clicked on the TV and it was set to Fox News. Newt Gingrich was on Greta Van Sustren talking about Trump's issues with the debate. He talked about Hillary wanting as few debates being seen by as few people as possible, because she knows how hard Trump's going to hammer her about her about her lies. Greta says "Speaking of lies" and brings up the non-existent NFL letter. Newt says he didn't know why Trump would think he got the letter, maybe a staffer told him he had gotten one or something.

So that was fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr Christmas posted:

Clicked on the TV and it was set to Fox News. Newt Gingrich was on Greta Van Sustren talking about Trump's issues with the debate. He talked about Hillary wanting as few debates being seen by as few people as possible, because she knows how hard Trump's going to hammer her about her about her lies. Greta says "Speaking of lies" and brings up the non-existent NFL letter. Newt says he didn't know why Trump would think he got the letter, maybe a staffer told him he had gotten one or something.

So that was fun.

Not that Newt's been on speaking terms with reality. I think Hillary's thoughts on a debate with trump amount to :getin:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

BiggerBoat posted:

I caught a few minutes of Herman Cain this morning and I guess the new strategy regarding the Muslim American soldier who spoke at the DNC is "why can't he just be an 'American Solider'? Democrats are the one labeling people" combined with "What about Fort Hood and all these other soldiers who died?"

But I think my favorite thing he tried was "Hillary voted for the Iraq war while Trump would not have", which is so stupid I'm not even sure where to start with it.

Trump didn't have a vote first of all. Republicans were super gung ho for that war and Democrats stupidly caved and allowed it. To this day, conservative pundits blame the democrats pulling out prematurely for Iraq falling into chaos and still steadfastly defend the decision to oust Hussein, some insisting that WMD's WERE actually found.

This is the first time I've heard a conservative talk show host come at this thing from the angle that voting for the 2002 Iraq war might have been a stupid idea though.

Actually, I'm not sure he's wrong on that.

Because IIRC, in 2002 Trump was a Democrat. :v:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The democrats largely voted to invade Iraq, op.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Goatman Sacks posted:

Seinfeld wasn't funny there I said it

:frogout:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

True. But as someone who spent 21 years in the Church, it most certainly emphasizes the very cultist portions of itself.

Doesn't it lose tons of young people as they reach their early-mid-20s? Truthfully my only real sources of information are Oh No, Ross and Carrie podcasts and Elna Baker's writing and comedy routines. She bugged the gently caress out at like 25 after losing 100 pounds and getting kissed for the first time.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Lightning Knight posted:

One of my Facebook friends posted this and I find it an interesting look into the divisions among the fundamentalist Christian voters in America on whether or not to support Trump as a candidate.

This is a really good article.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

The way some in the media are trying to equivocate Patricia Smith and Humayun Khan's parents is really loving pissing me off.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Octatonic posted:

The democrats largely voted to invade Iraq, op.

False.

"126 (~60.3%) of 209 Democratic Representatives voted against the resolution."
"42% of Democratic senators (21 of 50) voted against the resolution. Those voting against the resolution are:"

True if you limit to the Senate, though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true. but then again i guess i am not a fan of the far/alt/whatever left anymore.

I mean I wouldn't call Stein far left, she's just stupid left. But more than anything she's motivated first and foremost by the goal of seeking exposure and power via recognition as a legitimate candidate, because the Green Party is made up and supported by morons who think you take political power in America through the presidency, not through local government up.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

BONGHITZ posted:

This is a really good article.

It really is.

http://samuelwhitefield.com/1811/four-issues-to-consider-before-you-vote-trump-what-is-really-at-stake

I mean it's nothing we haven't heard before, but from an unexpected source.

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 2, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean I wouldn't call Stein far left, she's just stupid left. But more than anything she's motivated first and foremost by the goal of seeking exposure and power via recognition as a legitimate candidate, because the Green Party is made up and supported by morons who think you take political power in America through the presidency, not through local government up.

I've heard this argument levelled at the American Libertarian Party too. Is it true of them? The argument goes that they all they do is trot out Gary Johnson every year, and never really try for local governance. I think it's the reason Dan Savage gave as to why he doesn't think the Libertarian party is a credible alternative: "They don't take it seriously, they just run Johnson every cycle and then return to their armchairs to criticise everyone else for the rest of the time", (paraphrase).

I'm asking this because American local politics is well outside my experience (I'm European). I know Johnson was a well liked Governor of New Mexico, so maybe Savage is wrong on this point, but I figure the people in this thread will know better.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

beatlegs posted:

The way some in the media are trying to equivocate Patricia Smith and Humayun Khan's parents is really loving pissing me off.

Same. Or for that matter equivocating Hillary not agreeing with Pat Smith being the same thing as The Trump insinuating that Ghazala Khan wasn't allowed to speak because she's a Muslim woman.

At the same time, there's nothing you can really say to Patricia Smith because she's not going to pleased with anything other than Hillary Clinton being in jail. She's a grieving mother.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Have you guys heard about the pockeymon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxA13c9xO-o

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Gunder posted:

I know Johnson was a well liked Governor of New Mexico, so maybe Savage is wrong on this point, but I figure the people in this thread will know better.

He was a Republican during and long after his time as Governor.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gunder posted:

I've heard this argument levelled at the American Libertarian Party too. Is it true of them? The argument goes that they all they do is trot out Gary Johnson every year, and never really try for local governance. I think it's the reason Dan Savage gave as to why he doesn't think the Libertarian party is a credible alternative: "They don't take it seriously, they just run Johnson every cycle and then return to their armchairs to criticise everyone else for the rest of the time", (paraphrase).

I'm asking this because American local politics is well outside my experience (I'm European). I know Johnson was a well liked Governor of New Mexico, so maybe Savage is wrong on this point, but I figure the people in this thread will know better.

It's my understanding that the Libertarian Party has connections to big money donors (i.e. it was founded by the Koch brothers), so they're probably a couple Republican disasters away from getting a Libertarian candidate into some position or another. But to a large extent, yes, if the Libertarian Party wanted real power, they should be trying for state offices and eventually Congressional seats, not the Presidency. The Presidency is simultaneously difficult to win and not terribly useful if you don't control Congress.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

quote:

As someone who has split time between America and Germany, your European "common sense" about politics is largely inapplicable.

If the business of America is business, then our politics are driven by Hoteling's spatial model which drives (via market forces) similar business to de differentiate themselves and instead to try and occupy as close to the same physical proximity as possible.

You see this all the time. Let's suppose I'm in Cologne and want to have a beer. If I want an altbier I'm in the wrong city and can go gently caress myself. That said, if I want to be a dick about it, every bar has cans/bottles of Alt (usually a can of diebels). If you are with a bunch of normal people you can have that and be generally tolerated but if you are alone you will be asked to leave. You can do that at any bar.

But Reissdorf vs Früh, two beers as alike as eggs, you absolutely have to be at a bar serving one or the other.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

You see this all the time. Let's suppose I'm in Cologne and want to have a beer. If I want an altbier I'm in the wrong city and can go gently caress myself. That said, if I want to be a dick about it, every bar has cans/bottles of Alt (usually a can of diebels). If you are with a bunch of normal people you can have that and be generally tolerated but if you are alone you will be asked to leave. You can do that at any bar.

But Reissdorf vs Früh, two beers as alike as eggs, you absolutely have to be at a bar serving one or the other.
Thanks for taking the time, but this made no sense whatsoever to me.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
So far-right media is going with the story that Mr. Khan is a plant from the Muslim Brotherhood (or possibly ISIS; they're not too clear on that) practicing Taqiyya or whatever. Normal people would dismiss that as crazy, but if you had any lingering doubts, keep in mind that the story came from Walid Shoebat (and his dad, who is equally out there). Shoebat is Palestinian, but he converted to Christianity, except he converted to the crazy kind of Christianity, and he claims to have been a terrorist before his conversion despite evidence to the contrary. Snopes is already on the case, not that that's stopped a bunch of right-wing outlets from picking up the story.

Anyway, here are some of his Walid Shoebat's previous hits:

quote:

Shoebat responded that even beyond that, he quit all air travel two years ago because you can never know if the pilot of your plane will be Muslim.

“I stopped flying even in the U.S. two years ago,” he said. “I completely — I flew 3,000 flights to get my message out in this country. Finally I realized, I get into an airline where I see 20 Yemeni students, it’s terrifying. I do not know if the pilot is Muslim or not.”

He added that once a border patrol agent on the Mexican border “thought I was a Muslim because my name is Muslim and he welcomed me in an Islamic way” and let him back into the country without checking his luggage.

quote:

Many claiming Christians will express their support for the sodomites, and they many times will bring up the “love of Christ” to vindicate their support for them. Let us remind such people that no where [sic] in Scripture is evil tolerated simply because it does not physically or directly harm someone, or because it is private. In fact, Christianity is so much against allowing private deviancy, that it says that those who “approve of those who practice them” are “worthy of death” (Romans 1:32).

This means that opinions expressed in favor for homosexuality and other deviancies (such as cannibalism), are worthy of capital punishment…

Homosexuality needs to be treated as sedition against the people. What is a people? A people, as St. Augustine defines one, is not to mean “any indiscriminate multitude, but an assembly of those united by agreement as to what is right and by a common interest.” Therefore, sedition is not just against the government itself, but against the collective and common morals and precepts by which a community is united. As St. Thomas says, “sedition is opposed to justice and the common good.” (Aquinas, Summa Theologiae, IIa IIae 64, article 2)

quote:

“Dykes are criminals,” he stated. “Two dykes that are supposedly married, that’s not marriage, that’s a criminal partnership. That’s an agreement between two criminals. We’re gonna commit this crime, we’re going to corrupt children, we are going to take the natural order and tell people to disobey it, we are going to cause a revolution against the natural order that God designed … That’s what these dykes are, they’re just pure criminals. They’re rebels. This is a revolution. We’re not seeing love, we’re not seeing marriage, we’re seeing a revolution.”

“I believe sincerely within my heart,” he continued, “that if you have two dykes or two faggots who have children, those children are in an immense amount of danger. They are in danger of being raped, they are in danger of being molested, they are in danger of being assaulted, murdered, killed. And for the good of that child, the state needs to bust open the doors of those sodomites and confiscate those children. I really believe that within myself. If I had the power, I would send the SWAT team or the National Guard and I would say, ‘Guys, there are the homes that we know for a fact have two fags and they have a child with them. Go in there, you arrest those two faggots and you take that child.’ And the SWAT team would go in there, bust the door open, arrest the two faggots like the terrorists they are, and save that child from this tyranny. Because that’s what this is, this is tyranny.”

quote:

“Homosexuality and violence are interconnected. Homosexuality and rape are interconnected,” he said. “Cannibalism and homosexuality and rape are all interconnected. Now, are all sodomites committing cannibalism? No, but they want to. If it wasn’t for the law against cannibalism and murder and all that, the fags would be doing it all the time. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind about all this.”

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Gunder posted:

I'm pretty sure Hillary understands the black community better than you do. So please don't be a racist and vote for Hillary.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

I'm pretty sure Hillary understands the black community better than you do. So please don't be a racist and vote for Hillary.

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not in America, or able to vote. I'm just a person living in the UK who's curious about American politics.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Gunder posted:

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not in America, or able to vote. I'm just a person living in the UK who's curious about American politics.

Why should anyone care about a racist Brexit voter?

gently caress off and enjoy your "splendid isolation" you worthless Kant. I hope you choke on an isolationist sick sempaiiiii.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shbobdb posted:

As someone who has split time between America and Germany, your European "common sense" about politics is largely inapplicable.

If the business of America is business, then our politics are driven by Hoteling's spatial model which drives (via market forces) similar business to de differentiate themselves and instead to try and occupy as close to the same physical proximity as possible.

Also like German beer, Americans wrote down the best way to do politics a few hundred years ago and refuse to seriously innovate.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Jesus christ...stop with this bullshit.

I say this as someone who's going to vote for Hillary in November. When you toss this at people? You cheapen REAL RACISM and REAL DISCRIMINATION. You do. Period. Don't shame people for not voting for whom you like. Unless the person their voting for is a Ted Cruz style conservative or loving David Duke? Don't label every single person you interact with as an rear end in a top hat because they don't vote for who you vote for.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

Also like German beer, Americans wrote down the best way to do politics a few hundred years ago and refuse to seriously innovate.

Is this a Reinheitsgebot joke?!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Shbobdb posted:

gently caress off and enjoy your "splendid isolation" you worthless Kant. I hope you choke on an isolationist sick sempaiiiii.

:sigh:

Are you having a stroke?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Actually, I voted remain.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gunder posted:

Just ignore him.

As to your question, the Libertarian Party is basically where the R's like to put their cranks, just like the D's like to have the Greens around for their cranks. It also allows for some Republican-Lites to basically still be Republicans without nearly as much of an ugly cloud of racism. Basically they'll go "Oh, I'm Conservative, but I'm not Republican. I feel we should decriminalize weed while also supporting more tax cuts for the rich." while still voting straight-ticket R. It was a convenient umbrella that well-off urban white guys can still be racist shits without having to roll in the stink that was neo-Conservativism or the outright batshit insanity of the Tea party.

For reference on how much of a joke the Libertarians are: they had one of their candidates strip down to his thong and dance on national TV at their primary debate. It was apparently a gag just to screw with people, but it's still something that happened/that he did.

At least until this election cycle where the Libertarians played a surprisingly strong candidate ("plastic milk crate" levels of durability instead of "soggy wet cardboard box") with some actual experience governing. Oh and the two major parties put up a fascist con artist and a woman who's had 3 decades of smear campaigns run against her. The more sane Republicans really don't want to vote Trump, but they've been convinced Hillary is untrustworthy so they can't pull the lever for her. So their options are to stay at home or vote Libertarian.

Edit: in short the Libertarians are basically the younger brother to the Republicans. You know, the one who has a giant booger on his nose, his shirt is covered in snot, and still carries a stuffed animal everywhere at 10. Suddenly that starts to look surprisingly decent when his big brother starts making GBS threads in public every chance he can get, and you've been convinced his opponent is Literally Satan (TM). 95% chance they'll remain rather powerless in the grand scheme of thing (trying to get the Presidency while still having little to nothing above a local city level), but there's always the outside chance that the Republican Party straight up implodes at which point the L's will become the New R's.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 2, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mahoning posted:

Is this a Reinheitsgebot joke?!

Is there a :Bayern:? I thought there was a :Bayern:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Chilichimp posted:

To be fair, when I think of an anti-vaxxers, I'm usually thinking of a left-wing nut.

Historically speaking it's about 50/50, but recent years have moved it more 60-40 a right-wing position due to rising "government out of my life!" stuff presumably. To the point where in one of the primary debates, none of the Republican candidates would dare to make a solid stance for vaccination. That said, the left-wing side is still alive and well, and they're heavily overlapping with the Greens in particular.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

I dunno if it's an ESL problem or what but I don't know what Shbobdb is talking about the vast majority of the time

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gunder posted:

This is only Dat Gary's second run and the rank and file of the ALP hasn't really been satisfied with him either time, so I don't think Savage has a good grasp on the situation, except in saying that they don't take elections seriously. Or, more accurately, most members of the Libertarian party are impossible to take seriously. Johnson's like the only guy who is:

A. a real politician
B. not associated with the Duvalier regime

who will run as a Libertarian at any level, and that's a historical accident caused by the Democrats being so slow to embrace :weed:, which was the issue that converted him from a moderate Republican in the first place.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

I dunno if it's an ESL problem or what but I don't know what Shbobdb is talking about the vast majority of the time

It was people like him that really made me not want to cast a vote for Hillary in the election.

Thankfully my mind went "No...wait...you live in America too, so you'd be hosed as well". But goddamn, gently caress people with that mindset I encountered during the primaries.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

lol nevermind he's just a complete idiot

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Shbobdb is either a really dedicated troll or has serious mental issues (or some mixture of both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

You know...it's sad. I just watched how Cenk handled a story surrounding Ben Shapiro, and he actually gave him a fair shake. He actually defended him upon principle, and was sincere in his defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGixhNsjViQ

Compared to the company he keeps (Crowder), and the words he actually said against Cenk in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsVONO75utI&t=2m53s

I don't know...I just rarely see any sort of respect come from their side towards anyone with a left leaning view. Save for Penn Jillette? I can't think of one person on the right who would dare stand up in this regard to someone who's a liberal.