Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I'm not sure it's really lack of confidence because a lot of these guys have no problem waking around with really cringey stuff in public. Seems more fear of rejection. They don't ask a girl out they just do "nice" things. They don't try to initiate anything flirty because they see it as douchey. And they hate "douchebags" that ask girls out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

A Man and his dog posted:

Lol you have a small dick.

And proud of it! Less to carry around. Because it's so loving small.

darkhand posted:

I'm not sure it's really lack of confidence because a lot of these guys have no problem waking around with really cringey stuff in public. Seems more fear of rejection. They don't ask a girl out they just do "nice" things. They don't try to initiate anything flirty because they see it as douchey. And they hate "douchebags" that ask girls out.

Like the guy who holds the door for a girl he doesn't know and then broods because she didn't immediately swoon.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Im just playing brother. Im not hung like a horse either. Got that medium size.

Anyways the way I met my cougar was pretty creep mode but she ran with it and yeah we're happy.

She's a regular at my place of business so one day I just searched for her on Facebook and hit her up on the messenger. Boom. We've hit it off since then.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My username is actually my nickname for my dick because when a girl sees it, it ends the night.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

darkhand posted:

Everybody hates rejection, it's loving terrible, it's the worst feeling in the world, but there's nothing you can do but face up to the fact that you're going to be rejected from a lot of things in life, and often. Eventually you get rejected from life, that's a whole thing.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pick posted:

Everybody hates rejection, it's loving terrible, it's the worst feeling in the world, but there's nothing you can do but face up to the fact that you're going to be rejected from a lot of things in life, and often. Eventually you get rejected from life, that's a whole thing.

Eh, being vulnerable is a necessity and not an excruciating one. If I ask someone out and they say no it's not that big of a deal. Been told no lots, been told yes some, always worked out okay.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CarForumPoster posted:

Eh, being vulnerable is a necessity and not an excruciating one. If I ask someone out and they say no it's not that big of a deal. Been told no lots, been told yes some, always worked out okay.

Pretty much this. You can't fear rejection. Just loving sack it up and ask her.

It all depends on the social setting and poo poo but all you can do is put yourself out there.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've only asked out one woman in my entire life and she said no. By the process of induction I can safely assume every woman I meet will say no.

I'm a huge introvert though so it's nbd. And I'm self-aware enough not to resent anyone if I did care.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
except for people like elliot rodgers (who had a developmental disorder) I think a lot of it is missing out on childhood social development, which kind of fucks up your ability to pick up other skills later. I'm not sure that's something that can ever be made up for...

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

darkhand posted:

CarForumPoster posted:

The dudes I know who fall in to that "nice guy role" (though not as severely as some of the examples in this thread) never accepted/embraced that. Every example is some dude who graduated college 3-4 years late or didnt graduate. Doesn't really challenge himself. Likes every girl he meets but pretends like he doesn't. Insists he can't dance but never took classes. Asks out 3-4 girls per year, tops.

Has anyone else ever heard the line from a nice guy that they "respect a girl too much" to ask her out and make her decide, or they "value their friendship too much" to ruin it with the possibility of romance? It's kind of weird because whenever I've heard that, it's from some dude who is fixated on some girl in my social circle, and it's obvious to everyone but the object of their affections. And it's usually not a core friend, it's some random guy who met her and sort of wants to go everywhere with her, but doesn't ask her out. Most the guys I hang out with have a relatively short window when they meet a girl who they spend a lot of time with where they'd start a serious relationship with them. If it doesn't click after a few weeks, they get over it or move on, and the girl just becomes a friend. I can't really think of too many times where I've seen irl Ross and Rachel situations with people I know.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah a lot of it probably boils down to social skills at a young age.

But being told "no" by one girl and then going into rage mode over it is stupid.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I've only asked out one woman in my entire life and she said no. By the process of induction I can safely assume every woman I meet will say no.

I'm a huge introvert though so it's nbd. And I'm self-aware enough not to resent anyone if I did care.

Is this a joke post or no

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I probably went through something of a nice guy phase in my teens, with a metric fuckton of social anxiety contributing to it. I grew out of it.

Of course I also have a decently large dick, which probably helps. :smuggo:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Yeah a lot of it probably boils down to social skills at a young age.

But being told "no" by one girl and then going into rage mode over it is stupid.

Because then you get Ted Bundy-like people.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Of course I also have a decently large dick, which probably helps. :smuggo:

:smith:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Sometimes being the nice guy and not getting the girl also works out.

Cause 5-10 years later you see a Facebook post of her horribly depressed with kids and a poo poo husband and your just chilling by the pool like oh yeah.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

The Endbringer posted:

Because then you get Ted Bundy-like people.

:smith:

Ted Bundy was pretty successful with women though

He had some other kind of hosed childhood/brain

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Sometimes being the nice guy and not getting the girl also works out.

Cause 5-10 years later you see a Facebook post of her horribly depressed with kids and a poo poo husband and your just chilling by the pool like oh yeah.

Yeah there's nothing like watching those bitches be miserable wtf

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Maybe they shouldn't have rejected the "nice guy"........

:magical::sax::shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Maybe they shouldn't have rejected the "nice guy"........

:magical::sax::shrug:

He still loses. Try volunteering with hospice. The men who are alone, and are dying alone, express a regret that you can't even imagine.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pick posted:

I wonder why some guys feel that they lack courage? There doesn't seem to be a pattern between the guys I know who seem to be insecure, or what makes them insecure.

I just can't take the rejection anymore, I'm too sensitive and emotional

I wish I was kidding

I'm in my mid 30s

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

He still loses. Try volunteering with hospice. The men who are alone, and are dying alone, express a regret that you can't even imagine.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If I'm ever in hospice the last thing I'm thinking about is "oh gently caress I wasted all my years by not having someone here with me right now!"

It's more like "Great I'm gonna loving die any day now."

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Pick posted:

I used to volunteer at a veteran's home, and there always seemed to be a HUGE difference in lifetime satisfaction between the widowers and the guys who never married. :smith:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

PallasAthene posted:

I used to volunteer at a veteran's home, and there always seemed to be a HUGE difference in lifetime satisfaction between the widowers and the guys who never married. :smith:

Do you mean the never married guys are happier somehow? :unsmith:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Don Tacorleone posted:

I just can't take the rejection anymore, I'm too sensitive and emotional

I wish I was kidding

I'm in my mid 30s

you really shouldn't ever "be rejected". play it cool and sense the vibe of people before trying to romance them. don't ask girls on "dates" thats too much pressure, just hang out and make a move if the vibe is appropriate.

you will never be rejected, because you should already know if they are interested before you make the move

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Rutibex posted:

you really shouldn't ever "be rejected". play it cool and sense the vibe of people before trying to romance them. don't ask girls on "dates" thats too much pressure, just hang out and make a move if the vibe is appropriate.

you will never be rejected, because you should already know if they are interested before you make the move

I ask girls out for dates then I show up at their houses with a bowl of dates and we eat them then I go home

naem
May 29, 2011

They call me war if the world's cause I'm a tripod

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

They call me war if the world's cause I'm a tripod

also because you're dying from complications of pneumonia

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Endbringer posted:

I ask girls out for dates then I show up at their houses with a bowl of dates and we eat them then I go home

thats not really going "out" for dates than is it? your not following through

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Rutibex posted:

thats not really going "out" for dates than is it? your not following through

yeah it is I go out of my house therefore it's "going out" duhhh

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

and then we eat the dates outside so they are "going out" too why am I even explaining this?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Cumslut1895 posted:

also because you're dying from complications of pneumonia

I laughed

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you're at a point where you need a hospice and it's guaranteed that you can never live a normal non-assisted life again, you should just take a single month's worth of hospice fees, buy a crapload of drugs, and just OD. Go out happy, end your family's misery, and don't needlessly blow tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars that could go to much better use

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Pick posted:

I think some really early-in-life rejections or cruelties build a pattern of distrust in a brain, then certain people already disposed to recieve negative social feedback just continue to get it through their teens. A lot of people don't know what to change about themselves because the same social structure that failed them early in life leads them to having perhaps only a small group of friends to give useful feedback. Overwhelming frustration is the end-point in plenty of these cases, and it's not entirely unjustified given that society's tendency to talk-around things is deceptive to someone with autistic thought patterns.

Anyway, just white-knuckling through rejection doesn't help people like this because the rejections are not a learning experience as they might be to someone with a more thoughtful and cautious approach to the opposite sex. In my opinion the "nice guy/shithead" duality is the real crux of the issue where most of these nice guys might be best to follow the "be yourself" trope instead, because I think they are more shithead than nice guy and they should probably just embrace that as much as possible.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

uhhh if i had a girlfriend where would i find time to wallow all day in my own filth????? doesnt seem like a good tradeoff

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Profondo Rosso posted:

uhhh if i had a girlfriend where would i find time to wallow all day in my own filth????? doesnt seem like a good tradeoff
on the up side she would help u 2 kill yourself when ur feeling "down" ;)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

PallasAthene posted:

Has anyone else ever heard the line from a nice guy that they "respect a girl too much" to ask her out and make her decide, or they "value their friendship too much" to ruin it with the possibility of romance? It's kind of weird because whenever I've heard that, it's from some dude who is fixated on some girl in my social circle, and it's obvious to everyone but the object of their affections. And it's usually not a core friend, it's some random guy who met her and sort of wants to go everywhere with her, but doesn't ask her out. Most the guys I hang out with have a relatively short window when they meet a girl who they spend a lot of time with where they'd start a serious relationship with them. If it doesn't click after a few weeks, they get over it or move on, and the girl just becomes a friend. I can't really think of too many times where I've seen irl Ross and Rachel situations with people I know.

That's a reason some girls give for not dating someone who's a friend.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Seriously though, what's this thread about?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

Seriously though, what's this thread about?

Laughing at people lower down the social ladder, and people with neurological disorders

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Cumslut1895 posted:

Laughing at people lower down the social ladder, and people with neurological disorders

Well, as I always say, if you can't laugh at yourself....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
about losers, by losers

• Locked thread