Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Klyith posted:

They will eventually force all programs to be UWP, and that will be the end of small and open source programmers!

They will eventually force all directx apps to be signed through the Windows Store, and that will be the end of steam / indie games!

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

(a 10 second google will show that this has been in the works since 2015, and does not mean that drivers have to go through a complete Windows Certification test. it does mean some additional hoops to jump through, but the smallest of hardware developers can fit through those. It does gently caress over the tinkerer / independent guy making new drivers for re-purposed hardware, except that anyone doing that, or even running someone else's weird one-off drivers, probably already has secure boot turned off. Or doesn't need to run kernel drivers in the first place, for example the DS4tool project is totally unaffected.)

MS being able to revoke certs for kernel mode stuff that turns out to be malicious -- actual malware, bad-ideas OEM crapware that turns out to have massive security holes, or junk like that Sony cd driver that hosed your pc to try to prevent you from ripping music -- is a good thing. Abuse of that ability would be bad but they haven't done it yet.

There's been some rumor that Steam will no longer work due to UWP or someshit in 5 years and MS will force everyone to download from the Windows Store. It's kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Microsoft puts way too much effort into maintaining backwards compatibility with older apps to shoot themselves in the foot by making UWP mandatory. :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's been some rumor that Steam will no longer work due to UWP or someshit in 5 years and MS will force everyone to download from the Windows Store. It's kind of funny.

That 'rumour' was from the head of Epic Games, who is apparently a huge loving moron.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Microsoft would never move to shut out competition, control platforms, and act anti-competitively.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
WTF is dashline and why does Microsoft want me to have it? Also, isn't McAfee garbage?

What would be good programs for antivirus?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

WTF is dashline and why does Microsoft want me to have it? Also, isn't McAfee garbage?

What would be good programs for antivirus?

uBlock Origin is a good virus defence.
If you also want something to scan for older things, just leave Windows Defender there, it's generally just fine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think the key thing is that Microsoft is not a hardware manufacturer and therefore has nothing to gain by starving out hardware manufacturers through licensing fees and shrinking their Candy Crush install base.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I never understood this. Can't steam write a UWP app so that in 5 years they aren't shut out?

Or does Microsoft have that thing like Apple does, where in-app purchases of UWP apps have to give a percentage to them?

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Arsten posted:

I never understood this. Can't steam write a UWP app so that in 5 years they aren't shut out?

Or does Microsoft have that thing like Apple does, where in-app purchases of UWP apps have to give a percentage to them?

There's probably a clause that you can't make your own UWP app stores, because that would shut MS out of future transactions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It was good that Microsoft killed the paid browser, and is killing the paid antivirus, and anyone who disagrees is crazy.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
1607 is up on the MSVLSC now, Pro and Enterprise (probably Education too).

DSLAM
Apr 4, 2008

Of all the things i have connected to my PC, why would Win10 decide that my Kingston Datatraveler DT2000 needs to communicate with Phone assistance app? I get a little :tinfoil: since I got the DT2000 for work stuff and personal information.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rusty! posted:

1607 is up on the MSVLSC now, Pro and Enterprise (probably Education too).

Not up on the Media Creation Tool side of things yet. If anyone's interested I will be reattempting download every 15 minutes just to check!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I recently updated two old mac minis on BootCamp from Windows 7 to 10 and found the NIC "Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet" keeps on dying after ~10s. I rolled back to the driver on Broadcom's site and everything appears to be working, which is kinda surprising for a Mac.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

none of these strategies include "be a complete retard in ways that drive large numbers of people away from windows"

I don't doubt that they would love to get rid of steam and capture all PC games revenue for themselves. But there is just zero chance they can do that without either a massive gently caress-up by valve (such that nobody wanted to use steam anymore), or facing a revolt by the entire gaming audience. Valve put in a few months of effort on SteamOS linux just to prove that they could, then let the whole thing slide into the land of abandoned valve projects. It was a warning shot.

Platforms have a lot of strengths that can be used to bully the competition and control an industry, but the big con is that anything that damages the user base is damage to the platform as a whole. Just look at how fast they got reversal of fortune'd with the xbox one. None of the people who made those decisions still have jobs.

DSLAM posted:

Of all the things i have connected to my PC, why would Win10 decide that my Kingston Datatraveler DT2000 needs to communicate with Phone assistance app? I get a little :tinfoil: since I got the DT2000 for work stuff and personal information.

Telefonassistent in english is the "Phone Companion App", a thing for syncing smartphones, not a thing for phoning home to microsoft. It wants to look at other devices because maybe there are multiple devices to sync.

The thing about these settings is that it's a new way to block access. Older versions of windows, once you plug in the USB stick (plus the key for that DT2000), anything running on the computer could look at it. So if you have sensitive info on the DT2000 you could certainly block apps from reading it -- though this also means that you wouldn't be able to open a doc with office or whatever.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I've found that in the Favorites dropdown list in file explorer, now called Quick Access, I can no longer rename the shortcuts. I have quite a few folders I want to put in that list that I need to name something different than the actual folder name, but I can't now, whereas I could in Windows 7. It's bad enough that the list is cluttered with the obnoxious grey pin icons next to every item in the list (yes, thank you for the constant reminder that the items I pinned in the list are in fact pinned in that list, I can't tell that they are pinned there by only the fact that they are pinned there). I can stand the clutter well enough but not being able to rename those folders isn't acceptable for workflow.

Does anybody have any ideas as for how to fix this? If it can't be fixed, it's a deal breaker for me and I'll need to go back to Windows 7.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 1, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GreatGreen posted:

So after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I've found that in the Favorites dropdown list in file explorer, now called Quick Access, I can no longer rename the shortcuts. I have quite a few folders I want to put in that list that I need to name something different than the actual folder name, but I can't now, whereas I could in Windows 7. It's bad enough that the list is cluttered with the obnoxious grey pin icons next to every item in the list (yes, thank you for the constant reminder that the items I pinned in the list are in fact pinned in that list, I can't tell that they are pinned there by only the fact that they are pinned there). I can stand the clutter well enough but not being able to rename those folders isn't acceptable for workflow.

Does anybody have any ideas as for how to fix this? If it's not, it's a deal breaker for me and I'll need to go back to Windows 7.

Could you make shortcuts to the folders somewhere then rename the shortcuts then pin those instead of the folders themselves? I assume that's basically how it worked internally in Windows 7 anyway.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Rexxed posted:

Could you make shortcuts to the folders somewhere then rename the shortcuts then pin those instead of the folders themselves? I assume that's basically how it worked internally in Windows 7 anyway.

I tried that and it doesn't work. Windows detects the shortcut and circumvents it, linking the actual folder again instead.

So am I wrong or did Microsoft actually think of how people might customize this list and actively spend energy loving them out of it?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

I tried that and it doesn't work. Windows detects the shortcut and circumvents it, linking the actual folder again instead.

So am I wrong or did Microsoft actually think of how people might customize this list and actively spend energy loving them out of it?

You could give using junction links a try: http://superuser.com/a/971232

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
efb :argh:

GreatGreen posted:

I tried that and it doesn't work. Windows detects the shortcut and circumvents it, linking the actual folder instead.

You could make junction links into a new folder with a custom name, and then pin that to quick access. Potential for confusion though.

I can't find where quick access is even kept, it's not searchable in the registry or user appdata.

(I think the upside of this change is that quick access is more transparent to programs, because it is presented as actual folders rather than shortcuts.)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GreatGreen posted:

Wow, that's a weird design choice, and you can't even make a batch file and pin it to quick access since like you said, it's basically just for folders. You can make folders that are symbolic links to the other folders but have different names. I just tested it and it work, but it's more of a pain in the rear end. If you're just setting up a few folders now and then it'll do what you want, if you change them a lot it may be frustrating:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, uh, does the Anniversary Update still require one of those 30-minute update cycles that renders the PC useless? Or in their year of planning have they maybe actually gotten it to upgrade within Windows Update with just a normal reboot required?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zero VGS posted:

So, uh, does the Anniversary Update still require one of those 30-minute update cycles that renders the PC useless? Or in their year of planning have they maybe actually gotten it to upgrade within Windows Update with just a normal reboot required?

No, it's basically a reinstall of the OS. I just finished it. Went quick and it give the option to keep my programs and files, which I did.

It did reset some of my settings so I had dumb bullshit like Candy Crush again and Get Office, so I had to turn that poo poo off.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Zero VGS posted:

Is this really that big of a deal? It's basically like one of those yearly macOS updates and those take about the same time to complete also...same for iPhone and Android updates to big new versions...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is this really that big of a deal? It's basically like one of those yearly macOS updates and those take about the same time to complete also...same for iPhone and Android updates to big new versions...

For 300 dummies at work? ~~my production~~

It's okay but I just have to make them aware and see if I can get most of them to fire it off at the end of the day so it isn't forced on them at a bad time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GreatGreen posted:

. It's bad enough that the list is cluttered with the obnoxious grey pin icons next to every item in the list (yes, thank you for the constant reminder that the items I pinned in the list are in fact pinned in that list, I can't tell that they are pinned there by only the fact that they are pinned there).
To be fair, that's because you can have items that aren't pinned there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Jkdp/1JYvnNxXw/SW_DVD5_Win_Pro_10_1607_64BIT_English_MLF_X21-06988.ISO

Here is pro

You still need a legit key and all to use these. This is what the media tool will download tomorrow.

To upgrade your existing copy just right click, mount the iso, and run setup.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Jkdp/1JYvnNxXw/SW_DVD5_Win_Pro_10_1607_64BIT_English_MLF_X21-06988.ISO

Here is pro

You still need a legit key and all to use these. This is what the media tool will download tomorrow.

To upgrade your existing copy just right click, mount the iso, and run setup.

Do Russian cloud ISO links come with FSB malware built-in, or is there a SHA256 we can compare to a legit microsoft-hosted ISO?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

If I wanted to do a Fresh install of W10 on a new SSD via USB. is my protduct key from my current W10 attached to my microsoft log in name, or do I have to hunt through my PC for the key?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

pmchem posted:

Do Russian cloud ISO links come with FSB malware built-in, or is there a SHA256 we can compare to a legit microsoft-hosted ISO?

These are from WZor. They are legit

https://twitter.com/wzornet?lang=en

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pmchem posted:

Volume licensing images don't have posted hashes that consumers can check. I'd wait for something more official just to be on the safe side.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fat_Cow posted:

If I wanted to do a Fresh install of W10 on a new SSD via USB. is my protduct key from my current W10 attached to my microsoft log in name, or do I have to hunt through my PC for the key?

It won't be attached to your MS account until you've upgraded to the Anniversary Edition (if you were logging into your computer with an MS account, this will be done automatically when you install Anniversary Edition).

Is your license a digital entitlement (i.e. a free upgrade type install)? If so, you don't have a new product key for win10 - just leave that blank when installing on the SSD. If the hardware isn't otherwise changing significantly, it should activate without issue.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So am I reading correctly that I'll have to toggle all the dumb privacy/telemetry/screenshotting bullshit off again after updating?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

PerrineClostermann posted:

So am I reading correctly that I'll have to toggle all the dumb privacy/telemetry/screenshotting bullshit off again after updating?
Yeah, among other things. I have a handful of PCs around the house to update, so I did one in a VM first and made a list of all the things I need to readjust, reconfigure, or undo. The list has over 30 steps.

My personal favorite is that the SNMP service's settings get reset. The service is still there and running, but I have to reconfigure it.

My personal least favorite are the 3 icons that they keep pinning to the taskbar (Edge, Store, and something else) even though there's zero way any per-user settings could get lost in the update. They just add them back in because they want to and gently caress you that's why.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yes. I tested it on my work laptop and a virtual machine.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Have they fixed the dumb Windows 10 activation nonsense? I want to activate it using my retail Windows 8.1 Pro license.

It was originally activated that way but a motherboard upgrade broke it.

Re-installing Windows 8.1 to do the upgrade thing has been always been a non-starter even before that offer ended.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

astral posted:

It won't be attached to your MS account until you've upgraded to the Anniversary Edition (if you were logging into your computer with an MS account, this will be done automatically when you install Anniversary Edition).

Is your license a digital entitlement (i.e. a free upgrade type install)? If so, you don't have a new product key for win10 - just leave that blank when installing on the SSD. If the hardware isn't otherwise changing significantly, it should activate without issue.

Yeah I upgraded for free from W 8.1 when it first was a thing. I have nothing on my C drive beside W10, and I won't lose anything for switching over to a 500 GB SSD

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Inverness posted:

Have they fixed the dumb Windows 10 activation nonsense? I want to activate it using my retail Windows 8.1 Pro license.

It was originally activated that way but a motherboard upgrade broke it.

Re-installing Windows 8.1 to do the upgrade thing has been always been a non-starter even before that offer ended.

Activating 10 with a valid 8.1 key was working for about 9 months! However, now that the free upgrade period is over...

e: They're also adding an activation troubleshooter in the anniversary update that can help resolve activation issues. If you have a valid digital entitlement and an MS account login before the upgrade, it'll be linked to your MS account afterwards which can even reactivate after significant hardware changes.

e2: clarity

astral fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 2, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

astral posted:

Activating 10 with a valid 8.1 key was working for about 9 months! However, now that the free upgrade period is over...

e: They're also adding an activation troubleshooter in the anniversary update that can help resolve activation issues. If you have a valid digital entitlement and an MS account login before the upgrade, it'll be linked to your MS account afterwards which can even reactivate after significant hardware changes.

e2: clarity

We activated a windows 10 with a 7 key on the first and it worked fine still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Zero VGS posted:

For 300 dummies at work? ~~my production~~

It's okay but I just have to make them aware and see if I can get most of them to fire it off at the end of the day so it isn't forced on them at a bad time.

You should be using Enterprise, and even if on Pro, you should have GP in place for this.

This is not Microsoft's fault, for all their failings. This is 100% poor planning.