Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Also, some of the more expensive ones will clear abs/airbag codes and diagnose stuff. The cheap one is fine as an odb II reader but for logging real time and more advanced stuff can be limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Whats the obd2 reader everyone on here has? . That little plug in and my phone seems like the best idea for a quick engine light for friends and family.

I have this one, no complaints.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before that I had the cheap little blue one that is sold under many brand names but it doesn't support all protocols and will not work on some vehicles. Don't waste your money.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wormil posted:

I have this one, no complaints.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before that I had the cheap little blue one that is sold under many brand names but it doesn't support all protocols and will not work on some vehicles. Don't waste your money.

This is the one I have, but I got it back when it was blue. Most of the cheap ones are knockoffs of this thing that aren't as good. The first one I got was a knockoff that would lock up on my '98 Jeep Cherokee, but works fine with my wife's '09 Patriot (they didn't bother having me ship it back when I returned it). Haven't had any trouble with the BAFX in the four years I've had it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I have this and I'm super happy with it:

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/ultragauge_wired.htm

It was about $70 so more than you're probably looking for, but I was wanting an always-on monitoring solution that I wouldn't have to futz around with a phone or anything.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got a couple of the $10 ELM327 OBDII bluetooth readers for lending out, a ScanGaugeII (bought from an AI goon, iirc), and a full-blown scanner (AutoEnginuity).

The ELMs get used the most, now that I don't have the ScanGauge permanently in my truck. They work fine for codes and basic troubleshooting, but suck for datalogging. Torque for Android is amazing.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

I've got a couple of the $10 ELM327 OBDII bluetooth readers for lending out, a ScanGaugeII (bought from an AI goon, iirc), and a full-blown scanner (AutoEnginuity).

The ELMs get used the most, now that I don't have the ScanGauge permanently in my truck. They work fine for codes and basic troubleshooting, but suck for datalogging. Torque for Android is amazing.

Yeah that's all I'm after. A quick code pull so when a random friend or family member calls me and hesitates to come to the shop. I can just go to them with that my phone and give them a price range from there. 75% of my family members make me give them a price before I put a wrench to there car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Amazon's having a Wera sale today: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_143...ode=14378594011

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Oh poo poo, awesome, I've been eyeing their screwdriver set for a while but couldn't justify $50 for it. $25 though? Mine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
poo poo, screwdrivers are sold out. I needed another set to give as a present.

::EDIT:: They just don't show up, but are still available: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001NQQCM

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 3, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the yellow ones are better cause they're impact rated

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Zoro Tools also has Coupon Code HOTAUG for 20% off $150 or more that expires tomorrow. https://www.zoro.com/

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My newest HF mailer doesn't have a 20% off coupon and the free item is "with $5 minimum purchase." Is the flashlight gravy train over?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

eddiewalker posted:

My newest HF mailer doesn't have a 20% off coupon and the free item is "with $5 minimum purchase." Is the flashlight gravy train over?

Mine has a 25% off one item coupon and 8 different freebie coupons...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh poo poo, awesome, I've been eyeing their screwdriver set for a while but couldn't justify $50 for it. $25 though? Mine.

gently caress yes. Seriously, everyone needs a set of those lasertip Wera screwdrivers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been waiting on a Wera screwdriver deal, I'll cash in on this one and since they are out of stock I chose no rush delivery for $1 credit toward music.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wera is Amazon's current deal of the day: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_143...n=ATVPDKIKX0DER

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yesterday's news. :

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
edit: delete

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

meatpimp posted:

Yesterday's news. :

Are you ever able to not be an insufferable oval office? I POSTED IT FIRST NYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

iForge posted:

Are you ever able to not be an insufferable oval office? I POSTED IT FIRST NYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
On the other hand, it was deal of the day yesterday, not today, so ...

You seem really angry.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

iForge posted:

You are very easily angered. That's not healthy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Guys, there's no need to fight. Your green ribbed german laser etched butt plugs will be delivered shortly.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

You are very easily angered. That's not healthy.

please stop being an uppity dickshit, you were doing so well

kthx

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What a strange hill to die on. "This guy didn't read the last page of the thread, and posted the deal after it had expired, but the guy who pointed that out is the real problem."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

literally a fish posted:

please stop being an uppity dickshit, you were doing so well

kthx

I posted two awesome deals on this page. Motronic posts one of them and I tell him e:f:b... and then tool deal justice warriors come out of the woodwork to defend motronic's deal honor. :rolleyes:

And now krakkles and I are thinking the same thing... 'tis a strange world.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
this thread is full of tools

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

One Day Fish Sale posted:

this thread is full of tools

And to think we get them for a one time price of ten bucks. What a bargain!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

El Jebus posted:

And to think we get them for a one time price of ten bucks. What a bargain!

The terms of the warranty are terrible though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

What a strange hill to die on. "This guy didn't read the last page of the thread, and posted the deal after it had expired, but the guy who pointed that out is the real problem."

Not gonna get into the rest of this poo poo show, but when I posted that link I had just clicked on it and the deal was still going.

As nearly all of you recognize, I was just posting trying to help out in case someone missed it. I don't always read this entire thread.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

The terms of the warranty are terrible though.

The customer service is even worse.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

Not gonna get into the rest of this poo poo show, but when I posted that link I had just clicked on it and the deal was still going.

As nearly all of you recognize, I was just posting trying to help out in case someone missed it. I don't always read this entire thread.

I was joking when I posted it. Sorry it turned into a poo poo show.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Got my mityvac suction pump today, and holy cow, that thing is tits! It's definitely a lot heftier than I expected, very well built. Having this sucker really has substantially cut the time, effort, and hassle of bleeding my brakes! I just bap bap bap off the wheels, slip on the hose, crack the valve, and it's off.

Fantastic tool, well worth it! Brakes are sooo much easier now

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tools: A whole thread full for $10!

New thread title imo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elmnt80 posted:

Tools: A whole thread full for $10!

New thread title imo.

Cheap Tools: A whole thread full for $10! ?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Realized I was somehow down to only one surviving 3/8 ratchet so I went to Harbor Freight, bought one of their extendable 3/8//1/4 ratchets and one of the regular 72-tooth ratchets for $24 total.

When the hell did HFs ratchets get this nice, the 72t has a smoother action than my Gearwrench.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 6, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Realized I was somehow down to only one surviving 3/8 ratchet so I went to Harbor Freight, bought one of their extendable 3/8//1/4 ratchets and one of the regular 72-tooth ratchets for $24 total.

When the hell did HFs ratchets get this nice, the 72t has a smoother action than my Gearwrench.

They really have upped there game. I traded in an older one for a new one and got drat there fine now. Also the extendable 1/2 has survived a lot and gets the Kastein seal of approval.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SouthsideSaint posted:

They really have upped there game. I traded in an older one for a new one and got drat there fine now. Also the extendable 1/2 has survived a lot and gets the Kastein seal of approval.

Yeah I wanted to get the 1/2 extendable as well but they were sold out. Next time!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah I wanted to get the 1/2 extendable as well but they were sold out. Next time!

Can't recommend it enough. I use it every day at work. Favorite tool for rotating an engine over. It's also useful if you need to beat someone.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Princess auto has a 1" drive extendable ratchet that i have to play with every time i go in there.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-in-dr-extendable-ratchet/A-p8594699e

I would probably only ever need it once a year, but it would be awesome to have. Yeah it looks like a regular one in the pic, but it's roughly the size of a baseball bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SouthsideSaint posted:

half true. I like it, but I did manage to break the back half of the plastic handle off by daring to grip it as far back as possible, because they cheaped out and the metal shank doesn't go past the halfway point. Still worth buying, just keep that in mind so you don't bust a knuckle when the handle snaps in half while you're reefing on it.