Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Believe it or not, KFC is actually very high quality in China.

It's not just a relative thing either, it's because that's where their main market is these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Spiffster posted:

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/760317196748857344?lang=en

kinda figured this was going to happen. should have stuck with the Taco Bowl

Who the gently caress eats KFC with a fork and knife?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
What kind of blight on society gets KFC in one of the world's most significant culinary destinations? The three weeks I spent in Chengdu were magical.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
How about a white supremist that is aiding the fight against the death penalty.

quote:

"The facts of this case are indisputably grave," Roof's defense team stated in its motion to strike the death penalty. "But if, as we contend here, the FDPA [Federal Death Penalty Act] is unconstitutional, no one can be lawfully sentenced to death or executed under it, no matter what his crimes."

Huh, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand he is right, on the other is Dylan roof.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/01/us/dylann-roof-death-penalty-challenge/index.html

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I kind of suspect the logjam will break before the SCOTUS actually erodes down to nothing, because I don't think the Republicans can actually keep doing what they're doing forever. All that DNC poo poo was kind of a bid to go 'Hey you people, it's OK to at least provisionally support the Democrats.'

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Serrath posted:

Well, in the same 48 hour period Trump got trapped in an elevator and then proceeded to verbally attack the firefighter who rescued him in a speech at a rally 30 minutes later, nude pictures of his wife were leaked to the New York Post who subsequently published them on their front page and it's very possible that Trump's office either leaked them or approved of their printing, Trump has been engaged in a very public and damaging feud with the father of a Gold Star winning veteran who was killed in Iraq, Trump has been complaining about the debate schedule with seems to be a prelude to him backing out and has possibly been caught lying about whether the NFL contacted him to complain about the dates of the presidential debates, and gave an interview that strongly suggested he doesn't actually know what's happening in Crimea with respect to the Russian invasion of the Ukraine.

If you knew all of these things happened then I imagine you're pretty caught up with the events of the weekend

Jesus Christ, none of this was a joke. I apologize for doubting you, Serrath.

Now back to page 4 to keep reading.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nessus posted:

I kind of suspect the logjam will break before the SCOTUS actually erodes down to nothing, because I don't think the Republicans can actually keep doing what they're doing forever. All that DNC poo poo was kind of a bid to go 'Hey you people, it's OK to at least provisionally support the Democrats.'

Best scenario (and most likely imo) is:

Trump dumb -> depressed R turnout and energized D turnout -> senate goes Democrat -> filibuster goes away -> all the supreme court justices, all of them

Fingers crossed, I guess!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/760141319499112448

:mrwhite:

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

bowser posted:

Ignoring Merrick Garland for a second and assuming Hillary wins in November...how are the Republicans going to react if she gets 2 - 3 other SCOTUS appointments? This theoretically is an opportunity to dramatically shift the court left but I can't imagine they'll allow that to happen.

Who knows? This election and the aftermath will shape what happens. The GOP could try to ram through Garland in the lame duck period after the election. I don't see why they don't, as the only alternative is a younger and/or more liberal nominee. I guess they could try to stonewall forever, but you have to imagine that would fall apart at some point.

I imagine Ginsburg retires sometime in 2017 as well, so there will likely be a lot of Supreme Court stuff happening after Clinton is elected. Anthony Kennedy is 82 and another likely option to retire within 4 years. The Supreme Court could be Hillary's entire first year or more.

If Hillary gets re-elected in 2020, Stephen Breyer (now almost 78) and Clarence Thomas (now 68, rumoured to be looking to retire) are potential picks as well. Hillary getting to replace Kennedy and Thomas would be an excellent outcome. 7-2 Liberal slant with just a moderate-ish chief Roberts and Alito would be a huge boon to liberalism for a generation.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

computer parts posted:

It's not just a relative thing either, it's because that's where their main market is these days.

20 years ago I was in China and after 10 days of eating local food, finding a KFC in Xi'an was one of the best meals ever. Not that I didn't love local Chinese food, I just really missed western food.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/760335660322529280?s=09

JOE COME BACK WE NEED YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexo posted:

Wait does Ryan seriously have a shot at being primaried?

Short version: no.

Longer verison: HAHAHAHAHAHA no.

Truthful version: Ryan's seat occupies the southern half of Waukesha County (occasionally called the Alabama of Wisconsin), the southern suburbs of Milwaukee County (lots of aging boomers), and extends all the way to Janesville where he's from. He's insanely popular here, and any democratic challenger is simply a token challenger (if they run one at all).

Of course, this area mostly went for Cruz, but Trump did win in two of Ryan's counties. I don't think the primary will unseat Ryan by any means, given the guy is further right than Ryan.

As I said last thread, Ryan is running ads like there's a serious threat to his seat. It's... dumb.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Clinton +1

In Utah

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/760334245755777024

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
:ducksiren: lmao no way :ducksiren:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

No damage. No damage. No damage.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

:pcgaming: No loving way. :pcgaming:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Come on Mormons, you can do it! Trump isn't your kind of guy

:getin:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Mormons are anti bird

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

What the hell is next, Texas?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Bluemillion posted:

What the hell is next, Texas?

Angry, Angry white guys.

Mormons aren't so angry, apparently. I don't think Texas can go blue yet. Give it some years :)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If Utah goes Dem (which won't happen), does that signal the collapse of the Republican party at the national level?

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

Dirt posted:

Come on Mormons, you can do it! Trump isn't your kind of guy

:getin:

A guy to lead that makes up bullshit on the spot and cannot remember what he had previously said, who has multiple wives, wants to gently caress his daughter and claims to be the only one to lead everyone while creating massive dumpster fires every city he goes through?
Yeah, Mormons would never follow some guy like that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

cmon mitt DO IT you know you want to.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nah, but all of this stuff clearly isn't damaging Trump at all guys, he is dominating the newscycle

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I don't want to get anyone too excited, but i have called the last 4 elections by August 1st, and never have i been so sure of the outcome as i am now. Hillary is our next president. The Arzying can cease.

:toxx:

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 2, 2016

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

If Utah goes Dem (which won't happen), does that signal the collapse of the Republican party at the national level?

Nah, it'd just signal the unique shittiness of Trump as a candidate.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Some people have been taking this quote to mean that Trump is going to call for violence when he loses, but I feel like they're forgetting something very important about Trump. Trump's public persona and everything that he does is centered around being A Winner(tm), or at the very least not a Loser. It's a central part of his campaign, from talking about how America is going to be winning all the time when he's president (so much winning! You'll be sick of winning!), to feverishly jumping on every poll that shows him ahead so he can brag about how much he's going to win the election by. When he started getting attention and support during the primaries, he brushed off all criticism of his statements by pointing to the fact that he was winning, and he used the fact that he was already winning as a reason why people should vote for him. If there's anything that is actually important to Trump, it's this perception of him being A Winner, and with Clinton in the lead, that perception is seriously under threat in a very public way.

I imagine that we're going to be seeing a lot more predictions from Trump about how the election is going to be rigged, but not because he's going to use it to call for violence. It's because he desperately wants to create a narrative where even though he loses the election, he's not a Loser. He's still totally a Winner guys, and he totally would have won that election if it was fair. Many people were predicting during the primaries that Trump didn't want to be president, and that he was going to simply ride his campaign to the point where he could gracefully exit while still somehow maintaining the idea that he "won." I think that's what we're seeing here too: if he successfully creates this narrative, he'll get to leave the campaign on November 9th flush with attention, claim he totally would have won, and then not have to actually be president.

Kobayashi posted:

Well I didn't expect such a crazy swing in the polls; however, one thing dawned on me today as I tuned out politics on my way back to work:

All the horrid, terrifying poo poo that Trump says aside, I'm sick of how much of a whiny little bitch he is. Always complaining about how he's treated, how CNN is unfair, how people treat him badly. Grow the gently caress up, Donald. I know there's a disturbingly high floor to his support, but I have to think that irritation at incessant bitching is one thing that cuts across party lines.

Trump is the Starcraft player who cannon rushes you, and when that fails, spams your chat about how you only won because of your hacking/cheating/OP race or unit composition.

Then repeatedly pauses the game before disconnecting his computer.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Bill Clinton won with 43% of the vote. Trump may have hit a ceiling in the low 40s, but he has held onto that no matter what he said or did. Trump has been within the margin of error in battleground states in almost every poll other than the CBS PA poll today.

That's not how margins of error work. Clinton being up by 2 in a poll with a margin of error of 2 doesn't mean that the real number is zero. It means the most likely result is Clinton +2 but probability says it could be anywhere from Clinton +4 to a tie except in very rare outlier cases.

When you aggregate polls, though, margins of error start to mean less and less. If Clinton is +2 in one poll, MOE +/-2, then yeah it could actually be a dead heat, though +2 is still the most likely result and it could be Clinton +4 just as easily as it could be a tie. If Clinton is +2 in ten polls, MOE +/-2 on each one, that means that if the election were held that day it would be extremely likely that Clinton would win that state by 2%.

If Trump is within the margin of error in battleground states in almost every poll, but Clinton is leading in all those polls, odds are Trump loses most of those states and therefore the election, if the election were held today of course.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Edit: wait poo poo that's old as hell

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 2, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Let's see if it sticks. I'd love to see R-Money make a few statements this week to push it a little further.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

That's 3 years old, but feel free to bring it back.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I distinctly recall polls ages ago showing tight races in Utah and Georgia. These were pretty much dismissed as outliers (and these could very well be outliers too) but there may be fire underneath all that smoke.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
What's Romney's most recent statement on the election? I don't recall him saying much after his big speech during the primary. This seems like a situation where he could really twist the knife if he wanted to.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I said I'd count Monday a win for Trump if he can stop stepping on the Khan rake. WELP.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

CodeJanitor posted:

A guy to lead that makes up bullshit on the spot and cannot remember what he had previously said, who has multiple wives, wants to gently caress his daughter and claims to be the only one to lead everyone while creating massive dumpster fires every city he goes through?
Yeah, Mormons would never follow some guy like that.

Yeah dude, Mormons are retarded. But let's cheer them on into going blue ok?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mountaineer posted:

What's Romney's most recent statement on the election? I don't recall anything him saying much after his big speech during the primary. This seems like a situation where he could really twist the knife if he wanted to

He's largely laying low. Sadly for everyone in this thread, he's taken shots at Clinton while not really promoting Trump.

I think he largely falls into "Never Hillary" but will never endorse Trump, like Kasich.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Antti posted:

I said I'd count Monday a win for Trump if he can stop stepping on the Khan rake. WELP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rptb8L7t6gg

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Who cares if you can get Utah when you can flip North Carolina!

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/760339996280750080

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

computer parts posted:

Not sure of the quality but the Japanese buy a crapload of KFC for Thanksgiving apparently.

Also, the Ralphs/Vons fried chicken in the deli is decent.

Though if you want real good fried chickies and don't have soul food around, find a Korean restaurant mang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Antti posted:

Hell, I bet he's still talking about it on Friday. If that's the case I'm figuring we're looking at :fork:

• Locked thread